I’ve been playing around in Summer just to see what all I can do & what actually happens: the first and most notable things are-

Overheating, Wildfires, Oasis filling up with Water to fish random stuff out of its pond, Cactus flowers going into bloom, Antlion make the ground beneath your feet collapse if you don’t go feed/fight it.

People want a Summer season rework & to completely remove/nullify wildfires, but.. I don’t think these people begging for that realize the full scale long-term naturally destructive nature of this game.

Give me a second & I will explain what I mean by this, Summer isn’t the ONLY destructive season or destructive force in this game, you also have things like frequent lightning strikes in spring or while on lunar island, spreading meteor showers, Fire capable mobs or mobs that are caught on fire during Summer.. (such as Red hound, Red Saladmander or Webber’s follower spiders) 

So how do we rework summer and make it more fun, more manageable, but at the same time no less destructive?

Flingomatic machines aren’t enough.. personally the changes I would make are “Minimal” but when all this is combined together- would go a long way in making Summer as a season more manageable.

1- and most obvious on the list, Endothermic fires should have a “cooling” area of effect and any structures within the circle of them should be immune to being caught on fire as long as the endo fire is kept burning at maximum flame rate. 

2- Overheating & Wildfires should only be able to happen during the early morning day & not able to happen during mid-day, night. Forcing the player to engage more often with mid-day/night related content. Which means Klei needs to design new summer content based on being out at Mid-Day or Night.

3- red hound & Red Saladmander are both proof that Klei has no problem adding mobs into the game that are fully capable of causing wide spread destruction throughout your world with fire damage, so having MORE new fire capable mobs exclusively for summer (like how Winter has pengull & Mctusk camps) would be a welcome wave of new content for an otherwise bland uninteresting weather season- in the same way ponds freeze over in winter, I feel they should boil into magma pools during summer, capable of spawning Larvae or Magma Golems oh and also for the love of god Klei- Magmatic Spiders like the Webber skin! As destructive as fire and fire mobs are in this game.. they still do exist, but that’s where the next suggestion comes into heavy play..

4- Burned/Scorched trees after the damage has already been done should have a higher chance of becoming “Petrified/Stone Trees” this is is called Rebuild, and Recover after widespread disaster… YOU the player are held responsible mining these down for re-planting new pinecones and regrowing your worlds after summer destroys the forests..

5- exciting brand new content or brand new ways summer effects the Mobs & Biomes of the game (for example the black cracks in the Rocky biome could start glowing red with magma) maybe Tallbirds eggs will be already scrambled eggs, basically just new ways Summer effects the environment like how Winter changes things up a bit. Maybe it could even effect some of the newer content- Such as particular types of crop growth from RWYS content, Cookie Cutters may choose to retreat and despawn making it safer to go collect salt during this time. 

A summer rework should be based on making the season more interesting.. not removing wildfires or fire spreading capable mobs/weather hazards just because players find these things to be annoying..

Water-Logged was a landmark content update for Klei, it was the first time they had designed a NEW update to work with a character who’s abilities had been reworked (Webber being able to recruit shattered spiders & water spiders)

I hope future content updates will also follow this same pattern: So like for example.. if Klei adds a new Volcanic Magma Biome or simply just reworks summer adding new magmatic spiders, I hope Klei will also update Webber’s interactions with them, if Klei adds a new at sea “Watery Grave” Biome where ships have wrecked at sea.. I hope Wendy gets new interactions with the restless spirits who have died out here. While there only examples- I hope Klei will glance over each of the games weather seasons (Autumn, Winter, Spring, Summer) & provide new interactions with the newer content as they did recently with Webber.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

A summer rework should be based on making the season more interesting.. not removing wildfires or fire spreading capable mobs/weather hazards just because players find these things to be annoying..

well, it has been while since I've been on the forums but from what I remember, you said that you were more of a nomad , moving from place to place without making a full base so if that is the case, you've never really had to deal with your simultaneously combusting 

frequent lighting strikes and the other hazards of the other seasons are ok because they only really need one thing to be dealt with, like the lighting rod for example, it's just a small structure that costs almost nothing and basically completely combats all the lighting in spring, but when it comes to wildfires, you need ice flingomatics which quite a lot, constant supervision so they don't run out of fuel, and you need more than one if you're making a big base because of their small radius, and lastly, they sometimes just don't work 

if Klei made a simple way to combat wildfires around your base, I'd kinda be ok with them but as they stand right now, wildfires are a gigantic nuisance that aren't fun to deal with and for that, I want them removed 

but I do agree they should make summer more interesting. most of the time, I'm either going to the ruins during summer, or I'm wasting an hour and a half fishing which isn't very fun 

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Overheating & Wildfires should only be able to happen during the early morning day & not able to happen during mid-day, night. Forcing the player to engage more often with mid-day/night related content. Which means Klei needs to design new summer content based on being out at Mid-Day or Night.

Already in the game, Wildfires can't happen in the first or last day of Summer nor during Dusk or Night. Temperature isn't exactly time-related though.

The only thing worth considering is adding cacti / reeds / other non-renewable combustible entities to the world regrowth. It would be a shame if cacti / reeds could eventually disappear permanently from a world due to natural disasters (even though they don't tend to burn often).

Other than that, summer is perhaps not the most exciting / fun period but it makes sense to have a more tedious / challenging season too. If all seasons were easy breezy there wouldn't be much of a challenge.

Honestly, simply running around with a Snow Chester and Ice staff makes it a fairly easy season. Potential problems only arise if you start camping your base indefinitely. Summer is a nice season for running around in the world and gathering materials.

When the summer ends it usually feels like a relief. This is a good thing. No other season makes me feel that way.

30 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You can remove them with world settings. Let the others enjoy them

but where do you find enjoyment? there really is no enjoyment when it comes to wildfires, like seriously, I can't find any enjoyment in wildfires, but that is MY opinion, yours is  apparently different to mine 

also me saying I want wildfires removed will not remove wildfires from the game. I'm just a random person on the internet reciting my opinion. I highly doubt Klei will look at my opinion and just do as I say.

1 minute ago, viberr said:

but where do you find enjoyment? there really is no enjoyment when it comes to wildfires, like seriously, I can't find any enjoyment in wildfires, but that is MY opinion, yours is  apparently different to mine 

also me saying I want wildfires removed will not remove wildfires from the game. I'm just a random person on the internet reciting my opinion. I highly doubt Klei will look at my opinion and just do as I say.

I find enjoyment having to plan to leave the base to a more dangerous place or having to organice my time to move important burneable resources to safe areas, etc. I would have more fun with few QoL additions like no offscreen fires, a CK rain caller drop or a way to get non renewable plants like berry bushes

Maybe is your opinion but is selfish to ask for remove them when the game already have an option to turn off wildfires. See what happend to disease,klei could just make it diseable by default but they decided to just remove them because people complained to remove it when already there was the option in world settings. People who werent happy with default settings but refused to use non default settings.

Human logic

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Maybe is your opinion but is selfish to ask for remove them when the game already have an option to turn off wildfires. See what happend to disease,klei could just make it diseable by default but they decided to just remove them because people complained to remove it when already there was the option in world settings. People who werent happy with default settings but refused to use non default settings.

I guess I can agree but I don't think I'm being selfish by asking for wildfires to be removed because I doubt that I'm the only person who wants them removed 

also when it comes to disease, I'm absolutely elated that they removed it because in my opinion, that was also another thing that was not fun to deal with 

I just personally think that it would be better if Klei removed wildfires and added in a new mechanic that might be more enjoyable than a tree randomly combusting because of heat 

but in the end, I highly doubt I can change your opinion so I'll just say that I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it 

ok, that's all I have to say, have a good day

9 minutes ago, Treeomp said:

who likes wild fires raise your hands

You really like green+

17 minutes ago, viberr said:

I guess I can agree but I don't think I'm being selfish by asking for wildfires to be removed because I doubt that I'm the only person who wants them removed 

You want it removed because for you turning them off isnt enough. Im sure there is more people that want them removed but there is also people that dont. Just because others are asking for the same dowsnt make it less selfish

17 minutes ago, viberr said:

also when it comes to disease, I'm absolutely elated that they removed it because in my opinion, that was also another thing that was not fun to deal with 

Yes, that was the reason, shoveling planys every year wasnt fun but they could put it diseable by default

18 minutes ago, viberr said:

I just personally think that it would be better if Klei removed wildfires and added in a new mechanic that might be more enjoyable than a tree randomly combusting because of heat

They can just add more summer content so everybody (people who turn it off or people with default settings) can enjoy the new stuff. Changing wildfire for other mechanic is wasting time imo, you are removing something that some people like and others hate to add something that might be hated by some people and liked by others. Klei should add stuff, not remove

I kinda want phoenix in the game.. like I just want to see the Redbirds Maxwells quote states “They come from the fire lands.” I want to see those spontaneously combust.. like many creatures in summer heat do, burn to ashes and then raise from those ashes as a flaming Phoenix bird.

”From the Ashes raises a Phoenix” It’s taking decades old already existing content.. and adding something “new” to it to give Summer that extra edge of unique content it’s currently lacking.

So how about we go ask Maxwell WHY do Redbird come from the fire lands? & better yet where are these so called “fire lands”?

If wildfires had to be changed in any way I would want something equally destructive as them added in their place- Summer is the last and (currently) final season you endure after going through Winter, & Spring- Summer should rightfully be the most challenging.. but right now it’s just- Not.. Fire Tornadoes would be horrifying and those little goslings from the moose goose already turn red and spin like tornadoes when their mother is killed.. so fire tornadoes shouldn’t be too hard to add.

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

“They come from the fire lands.”

pretty sure this quote is in reference to a bird called a fire finch tho they don't look all that alike maxwell isn't a reliable source of where birds came from seeing as most of his quotes are asking where tf this bird came from

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

frequent lightning strikes in spring or while on lunar island, spreading meteor showers, Fire capable mobs or mobs that are caught on fire during Summer.. (such as Red hound, Red Saladmander or Webber’s follower spiders)

Lightning rod covers a HUGE area and needs zero maintenance. Don't base in a meteor zone. Don't fight fire mobs in the base. Take care with your spiders. All of these are under the players control with minimal effort. Spontaneous combustion prevention requires something with a smaller range, other season-exclusive crafting materials, and constant fuel. 

I know some of us are fine with it but do consider other playstyles. I don't think people are asking for a rework that involves MORE random fire-based destruction. More interesting, interactive things in Summer and fun new ways to beat the heat? Yes. More of the world burning down due to 3 new firestarting mobs and ponds of water somehow turning into lava and burning everything nearby? Not so much.

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

See what happend to disease,klei could just make it diseable by default but they decided to just remove them because people complained to remove it when already there was the option in world settings. People who werent happy with default settings but refused to use non default settings.

The thing is disease was pretty much universally (99%) hated and honestly had no place in the new farming system as it stood. Wildfires are slightly more controversial but it’s probably still like 90% dislike rate based on people’s opinions here anyways.

The difference is I think the fix to wildfires isn’t to remove them but to add very slight touch ups to their systems and they could be good (whereas disease needed an extensive overhaul so I don’t see removal as a bad alternative). As they currently stand I don’t think they are remotely challenging, I never *feel* like I have to leave my base, but I would rather because I don’t feel like focusing on my screen the whole time to watch for smolder or build a million ugly flingos. Reworking it to be less annoying and more of a real threat would go a long way to making summer as a whole more interesting/more challenging.

Aside from that summer just has a drought (pun intended) of content which further pushes people to hide in the oasis and caves which is bad design. I think there should always be active opportunity costs when choosing to go to the caves and stuff instead of having a season so dead that it’s the only real way to have something to do. 

It really just needs to be pushed up to winter’s standards or beyond. Mactusk type mobs, klaus type boss, pengull and ice type formations, new flora, etc. I’ve had this longstanding idea that stems from antlion coming up that a bunch of seismic themed activity happens during summer such as beetles and rock formations with their eggs rising up, a miner rock lobster with mactusk type loot, a giant possessed mountain boss. Things like that would go a long way! 

12 minutes ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

The thing is disease was pretty much universally (99%) hated and honestly had no place in the new farming system as it stood

i hate it too but that doesnt mean they couldnt just turn it off by default instead of deleting it completly

i dont get where is the conexion between twiggs, grass and berries with the farm crops but ok

40 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i dont get where is the conexion between twiggs, grass and berries with the farm crops but ok

It’s been a while and I forgot that it only affected those things lol. But to be fair, if they were going to do anything with disease, expand on it or delete it, the farming update was the one to do it. 

I'm all for summer getting a little extra content to encourage folks to to brave the season rather hide from it in the caves or oasis, but I'm fine with the way it is currently. All I'd really want is for the player character to comment whenever something starts to smolder because of a wildfire since it can be kind of hard to see/hear depending on where you are and what's currently happening. That way, an attentive player could reasonably prevent wildfires even if they were to happen just off screen, which they really shouldn't, so I guess that's two things I'd change instead of one.

Oh and make it so that grass/saplings/berries un-wither once fall rolls around without the player needing to load in the area. I don't think that'd be too pc power intensive for the game, right?

14 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

As they currently stand I don’t think they are remotely challenging, I never *feel* like I have to leave my base, but I would rather because I don’t feel like focusing on my screen the whole time to watch for smolder or build a million ugly flingos.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

people like to act like theyre some kind of brave high IQ gamers for putting up with the ‘challenge’ of wildfires when in all honesty theyre just an annoying nuisance that demands u vigilantly stare at ur screen and be on edge in a game i otherwise play to relax :roll:

14 hours ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Reworking it to be less annoying and more of a real threat would go a long way to making summer as a whole more interesting/more challenging.

+1

13 minutes ago, Ohan said:

people like to act like theyre some kind of brave high IQ gamers for putting up with the ‘challenge’ of wildfires when in all honesty theyre just an annoying nuisance that demands u vigilantly stare at ur screen and be on edge in a game i otherwise play to relax :roll:

just because you dislike something it doesn't mean everyone else does too

I actually have my worlds set to have wildfires happen MORE often.

I feel like a quote “Uncompromising survival game” shouldn’t throw challenges at you and THEN at the exact same time give you a permanent solution/ craftable structure that REMOVES that challenge.. Wildfires are the Wild West of DST.. you never know what’s going to catch on fire as you walk about the map and this forces you to have to later come back through this area and rebuild and repair.

And a good majority of WHY I love wildfires is unless you want to build a million flingo machines there’s no actual counter to wildfires, they just sort of happen as a uncompromising thing you have to rebuild & repair from.

Just like you can’t control where Meteors are going to crash land from the skies.. there are some things that shouldn’t HAVE a structure or craftable you can nullify the challenge over.

Of course: All of this comes down to one crucial choice- World Presets..

If Klei added a “Builders Preset” where all the “Survival” stuff was automatically toggled to off less and less mega base builders would have a problem with Wildfires.

But to ME they force YOU to go through an area that’s been burned down chopping down/hammering down whatever remains.. and replacing it.. (you can always just go down in caves where wildfires don’t happen and gather things like new pinecones, more rocks etc.. to resurface and rebuild the world.

The biggest problem is the “Base Builders” THEY don’t like the Wildfires because there’s no proper counter to it, but for the same reasons THEY Hate it.. some of us Love it.

Just because there’s an ability to turn them off doesn’t leave it as an excuse to ignore something that was not designed well, which is clear from the amount of times this discussion arises. It’s better to have these conversations instead of spamming “just turn it off”. I think the simple point and case here is they really could be better than they are, regardless of your stance on them.

I absolutely love this game but there are two things that always bother me and that’s summer (mainly for lack of content but wildfires are boring and annoying for me as well in their current state), and rockjaws because random high damage bites are just… 

42 minutes ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

Just because there’s an ability to turn them off doesn’t leave it as an excuse to ignore something that was not designed well, which is clear from the amount of times this discussion arises. It’s better to have these conversations instead of spamming “just turn it off”. I think the simple point and case here is they really could be better than they are, regardless of your stance on them.

I absolutely love this game but there are two things that always bother me and that’s summer (mainly for lack of content but wildfires are boring and annoying for me as well in their current state), and rockjaws because random high damage bites are just… 

im not against making changes to wildfires, im against comments like "remove them" when there is already an option for it. I wouldnt mind at all if they put it off by default

Archived