Testing Branch Available Now! - 472677

4 hours ago, QuantumPion said:

Any word on performance improvements? The last major patch seemed to cause a substantial performance drop around 100 cycles in.

Yea this.

Signifficant performance loss after BOFA affects base game without the DLC aswell.

Edited by ALCRD

so the sun seems to be set depending on asteroid.  the main asteroid varies with 20k lux on SO sandstone and forest but i got 30k lux on SO swamp.  the classic maps main asteroids get 40k lux on all sandstone, forest, and swamp starts. then all starts got the same lux on the same outer asteroids, 35k lux oily, 30k lux irradiated, 60k lux water, 10k lux frozen, 80k lux magma, 50k lux moo, 50k lux regolith, and 50k lux on marsh. the classic map's warp asteroid got 35k lux as well

after searching for a good classic start seed to play on, i found that all starts get 12+6 buried geysers then a select open geysers.  sandstone gets the most open geysers with 2 csv, 1 saltwater, and 2 utility power on the main then 1 csv and 2 slush geysers on the warp asteroid.  forest gets the same config but no open slush geysers.  now swamp gets the 2csv, 2 utility/power, and 2 slush on the main with a saltwater on the warp asteroid.  so right now forest gets the least amount of open geysers

11 hours ago, Nebbie said:

Hmm, nerfing solar space efficiency is a good step (it was the major problem with it), but this leaves us still with the sting of previous changes to delay getting them at all. A bunch of Materials Science and 200kg of glass is a pretty steep barrier to getting them up and running. Could we see a bit of a mass increase in the new glass panels of POI? Not to old levels, but just to where it'd be feasible to make one panel without the Glass Forge.
Additionally, the Glass Forge would be a bit nicer on us if it only took 50kg of sand, not necessarily because sand is scarce or anything, but so that its storage would be 2 runs, like many buildings.

Also, I must state that we really need more numbers in these patch notes. It was easy enough to check in game on things like fridge power and heat production, but the solar output now is a worldgen thing (and by the sound of it, not on old worlds) that's a bit more complicated to check. Is this to where a Solar Panel only will produce 100W average on the starting asteroid?

I was able to make 2 just from POI glass. Not all the POIs have been switched from glass to diamond window tiles.

Free (weak) power by cycle 135 is fine. That's how long it took me at least. Big improvement from the 80-cycle rush that was possible before.

Solar changes also means we won't see those ugly solar pyramids any more. Pannels won't max out before mid day on starting planetoids.

Edited by n_t_p
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Magheat2009 said:

They are looking at possible solutions. 

If there are none i hope they keep the previous version "beta" active indefinitely at least. (The one that they launched not too long ago as a option to tempoary rollback the game to before BOFA update was live)

Cause that version works geart performance wise and would be nice to have a easy option to rollback to before BOFA for people with base game only who want to rollback and don't really mind losing on mod support or new tweaks and features ported from SO!.

Edited by ALCRD

On 7/28/2021 at 5:44 PM, Magheat2009 said:

They are looking at possible solutions. 

Edit:

Actually, I am concerned that I might have accidently turned on debug mode at some point in that playthrough, which would have revealed the map and probably explains why things were available in my resource menu and possibly why they started being simulated. This might not happen at all in a normal playthrough. I doesn't seem to happen in other new playthroughs I start. I still get lower FPS, but I do not see things I haven't discovered yet like shove vole eggs.

/edit

I am unsure if this has been mentioned before, but it seems like now everything gets "simulated" as soon as we start a new map. From my experience, in my previous playthroughs, things would enter the simulation only after they got revealed by clearing the fog of war. This means that heat transfer would not occur until revealed, plants would not grow, critters would not lay eggs, etc. Therefore, as the game went on, by revealing more and more of the map, I would progressively lose FPS.

Now, I have also noticed a FPS drop in my new playthrough.

- The first thing that I thought was wrong was that I got offered slickster eggs from the printing pod before even "clicking" on the teleporter to reveal the second asteroid, which means I had not discovered slicksters. This has not happened to me before.

- The second thing that tipped me off is that when I looked at the resource panels, I would have the option to show critter eggs I have not even remotely discovered, such as pacus and shove voles (I am on a spaced out forest start). I would not be surprised if I got offered shove vole eggs at some point from the printing pod even if I have not been in space yet...

- The third thing that tipped me off was that, as soon as I went through the teleporter to visit the oil planet, I realized that there were some eggs, baby shine bugs, and plants that grew and fell on the floor without any of this being revealed, see screenshot below taken right after stepping through the portal for the first time immediately after clicking the teleporter/revealing the planet:

457140_20210728194300_1.thumb.png.91e81ebbb696d1d06290780c6c3552c2.png

Could this explain why we feel the FPS drop much earlier now?

Edit: @gabberworld you seem pretty invested in this whole fps drop issue, any thoughts on this?

Edited by NeoDeusMachina
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Edit: @gabberworld you seem pretty invested in this whole fps drop issue, any thoughts on this?

i know that animation is fps killer, now if those run at other asteroids even if its not needed then that can be one issue.

i todo some tests soon about that.

i read about other 2d game engine where guy was able get 100k animation with 60fps while in unity was able get only 5k with same fps

if im not mistaken then that was year 2013

much not changed because when i tested that some weeks ago , i get same result in unity

Edited by gabberworld

Worth mentioning when i pause the time in my base in the update after BOFA the framerate is still horrible its the same as in slow speed.

Doesn't matter where i look i can be looking at fog of war far away from my base and my framerate is still half what it used to be before BOFA.

So i am not so sure about animations causing these fps drops but idk.

Edited by ALCRD

35 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Worth mentioning when i pause the time in my base in the update after BOFA the framerate is still horrible its the same as in slow speed.

Doesn't matter where i look i can be looking at fog of war far away from my base and my framerate is still half what it used to be before BOFA.

So i am not so sure about animations causing these fps drops but idk.

what part off dlc we talk here? the Classic mode or Space out.  Classic have much higher map, soo at there you see higher  fps drop

50 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

what part off dlc we talk here? the Classic mode or Space out.  Classic have much higher map, soo at there you see higher  fps drop

No dlc. Base game. I don't even own the dlc. This performance problem affects base game too after BOFA my framerates were cut in half. 

Quite few people reported similar issues. It's not just exclusive to SO! and it started happening after the dreaded merge.

The official rollback before BOFA works a lot better its day and night difference and for base game there weren't any map size changes from what i recall those are strictly for SO! owners.

Edited by ALCRD

Menu like Consumables takes self the 13 Fps what is insane number for simple like that

fps.thumb.png.7eff7e263a795a41784f3cf538f6a2c2.png

selecting build item from menu , that takes like 30-40 fps, comon guys you can todo better than that

fps.thumb.png.345d44c72219bb593229982866ee0caf.png

opening the storage pin , that takes like 40-50 fps

fps.thumb.png.f04a14b15a6f6067986a3b9ceec21a34.png

and that all is tested in game beginning in pause mode

Edited by gabberworld

1 minute ago, sakura_sk said:

But it doesn't take 3-5 seconds to open the Research menu like it was before :rolleyes:

true, but, it not take 3-5 sec anymore either when you open that first time soo there is a bug inside

Edited by gabberworld

Interesting tests.

And would explain why even in new game after barely exploring the map my fps tanks considerably even with just 3 dupes and little to no base compared to version before BOFA 

3 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Interesting tests.

And would explain why even in new game after barely exploring the map my fps tanks considerably even with just 3 dupes and little to no base compared to version before BOFA 

there can be more but that is first what i see the biggest one atm and its only 6 cycles

Edited by gabberworld

14 hours ago, gabberworld said:

opening the storage pin , that takes like 40-50 fps

Did you try opening a fridge that has multiple types of food? For me that eats most fps. This and storage bins with medical packs, for some reason the packs are all separate (i`m not sure if this wasn`t fixed though) and slow the game a lot when you got a lot of them.

11 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Did you try opening a fridge that has multiple types of food? For me that eats most fps. This and storage bins with medical packs, for some reason the packs are all separate (i`m not sure if this wasn`t fixed though) and slow the game a lot when you got a lot of them.

i wanted see what causing fps drop in early game, soo no i not tested that

its kind off bad that those simple stuff takes soo many fps, it feels like i not want build them anymore

Edited by gabberworld

this game needs allot work in performance, ,now i tested in dlc, game is in 14 Cycle, i drop100 fps to to 40 fps , by almost doing nothing, 6 dupes some beds, research fps killer.

fps.thumb.png.142eb73f1c24f5b639603ecdf3c7ae42.png

ok there is one more thing what is huge FPS killer, its the mouse cursor

mouse in game screen

fps.thumb.png.df5935d98588e42286214579f5e0c3f3.png

mouse out off game screen

fps.png.c9990263361d42e9b3a533095922d889.png

Edited by gabberworld