Dark Mode (aka CO2 buildup)

Just wondering how do you handle all this CO2? I started with a single water sieve + carbon skimmer in the base. Then expanded it, then multiplied it by A LOT, then started collecting excess in a gas tank, then built 50 more. Then built a bunch of rocket platforms with gas tanks to store more, then shipped slicksters from oil planet. Then grew them to 100 or so. Then got rid of everything but slicksters and opened up space to vent whatever I have since the base is already sealed up. In the end I got total darkness and still 4-5k CO2 per tile. I think I easily wasted 100 or more cycles until totally giving up. And this is the same for all my planetoids. On the uranium one it's obviously much worse but since it's smaller, exposing space is much more viable.

Screenshot 2021-07-14 at 09.55.58.png

If you want to get rid from CO2 "just because it is annoying", you may build 10 - 20 carbon skimmers on the bottom of base, and slowly replace it with O2 everywhere. 

Spoiler

732302864_VolcanoCycle1050.thumb.png.2777793c12f9231ee8c8fe28519e2aeb.png

each red circle is 2 gas pumps which pump CO2 to molten slickster. Additionally, there are 2 or 3 gas pipes from natural gas generators.

How much do those petroleum generators run?  You need 1.7 carbon skimmers or 15 slicksters for each constantly running generator.  Develop some geothermal power as a primary source and the slicksters will catch up on the CO2 (in a hundred cycles or so).  I like to put the petro generators in an insulated chimney that's open to space.   CO2 (and waste heat) just drift on up never to bother you again.

• Developer

Note that the Radioactive biome has massive tiles of frozen carbon dioxide in the range of 100kg-600kg instead of the intended 8kg. This will be fixed in tomorrow's update but it won't affect current saves so you might need to use the sandbox tools to deal with it. 

6 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Note that the Radioactive biome has massive tiles of frozen carbon dioxide in the range of 100kg-600kg instead of the intended 8kg. This will be fixed in tomorrow's update but it won't affect current saves so you might need to use the sandbox tools to deal with it. 

Excuse me a moment while I go melt a Radioactive biome for fun.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the CO2, but I want to find out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. After slickers reached to around 200ish count, Co2 finally caught up. Took around 50 cycles or so. And I keep smaller planetoids top part exposed to space, hopefully it will clear out soon. Those massive pockets of co2 requires some cycles to reach top thou.

8 hours ago, EricKlei said:

Is this in the same category as tiles of 30000 kg of obsidian on the magma asteroid? There are quite a few tiles like those on my superconductive asteroid, see screenshot below. It seems a lot for a single tile and perhaps not intended...?

457140_20210707191222_1.thumb.png.802402df712232d60bb935497a019260.png

43 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

It seems a lot for a single tile and perhaps not intended...?

It seems like an error in the matrix :rolleyes: Tiles of obsidian that are sandwiched between niobium, copy the mass of niobium tiles and translate it to tones instead of kilos. 

obs-niob2.jpg.7b006388e56c638ba5c45b566e913576.jpg obs-niob1.jpg.89049794de4ab6ad7d14c0b5d4d90093.jpg

On 7/15/2021 at 4:40 AM, EricKlei said:

Many thanks :encouragement:

On 7/14/2021 at 8:40 PM, EricKlei said:

I liked the massive CO2 bombs in the radioactive biome. :-(

8 hours ago, ihadagoodone said:

I liked the massive CO2 bombs in the radioactive biome. :-(

I used to build 100x carbon skimmers, a whole screen full to fight it. At 600-1000kg per tile and thousand of co2 filled tiles, it only took 20 hours or so to save my base from suffocation. What a battle! :lol:

The water works, pipes and power to supply 100 running skimmers was a story for itself.

Those large CO2 tiles is what made me build an unlimited gas capacity room to store CO2 at a rate of over 1000kg CO2 per tile. Reaching 2000kg/tile in some areas. I was planning to power lots of CO2 rockets and make lots of soda with it.

On 7/14/2021 at 4:42 AM, aderae said:

Just wondering how do you handle all this CO2?

Before Spaced Out DLC I used to vent it into space. Now with DLC some maps generate about 75 slicksters in the oil biome. I just keep them wild and feed it down there. There probably won't be a need to vent to space anytime soon with that many wild slicksters.

On 8/20/2021 at 1:26 AM, hbarudi said:

Reaching 2000kg/tile

You can easily reach like 100,000kg/tile. Some people have made maps (before DLC) that required 8 vents full stacked pumping out CO2 at a constant rate. These were the good old days :-D

I was always happy to see so much solid CO2; 

you do not need to release it once; it is a great cooling area which you can segment with thrermoinsulated materials into sections.

when I need cooling - turbines or radbolt generators, I just pump this cold CO2 through the heated area (Al ore pipes) and into space. CO2 thermal capacity is small but it works in large volumes.

When I have a slickster, I turn it into magma one with 130C (just a steel door adjacent to one of metal volcanos does the trick. When you groom them, they have a very high efficiency of utilizing the hot CO2 into petrol. So you do not need any arbor trees, you have  a lot of petrol for rockets and petrol generators. To a point I do not use even oil wells (or maximum one).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d5dcc5698a55f368794bb5b4bddc037d.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.0aff5491c98e058a1d5bba85b382d23a.png

and I looked at your base:

using skimmers perhaps is not optimal in your case; you turn water into polluted water with skimmers and then clean water with purifies - all that requires a lot of electricity (plus sand). Then you need to run three oil generators to support the base (each produces 500gr/sec of CO2). So you need one pump for each generator to get CO2 out.

I simply put ONE pump at the bottom to pump all CO2 into space (actually not to the space but to another planet for slicksters). Each dupe (without any special traits) produces 2g/sec of CO2. 

Youi have only 8 dupes. So it is 16g/sec. The standard pump have 500gr/sec output. So in my case it works only 2-5 sec out of 100 sec with more dupes at the base. 

You have three metallurgical plants - I do not know why are so many; they consume a lot of power. I have like 500t of steel with just one plant plus using thermium in most cases. 

You have many incubators - I do not know why so many and if they are automated to not work all the time.

I did not notice solar panels or hydrothermal generators/turbines - both CO2 free. I did not see hydrogen generators either (I could miss these ones).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.c5632f2975edbdd67c16540df8e9aba9.png

Archived