Is it ok to dig up mushrooms in a public world ?

I know i'm opening pandora's box. But it's time for a heated debate !

Title is self-explanatory. I want your opinion on whether it's appropriate or not to destroy mushroom spawners on public servers.

(also if you are not convinced by a blunt "yes" or "no", try to be more precise, e.g. from what biome ? surface or cave ? for what purpose ? additional early food for the team ? solo boss rush ? and so on)

I see no issue with it while yes it's nice to leave things for others some people place too much limits on others due to the unwritten rules I feel like resources that haven't been relocated belong to anyone and so long as your not doing something like lighting it on fire for the lolz I think it's fine yes this also means I think it's ok to eat mandrakes and people shouldn't kick others for doing so long as it's not against the host's wishes how you interact with the world is up to you.

I would prefer that you didn't, because other people would like to use those too, but it's far from the worst inconvenience you could cause to other people on a public server.

I don't generally dig up mushrooms even in my own games, though, because I like continuing to get mushrooms later more than I like getting a second mushroom or obtaining one at the wrong time of day.

As long as nobody would notice, then you're fine. If you dig up a fairy ring near the main base, then yeah, they might not like that. I try to dig up mushrooms in areas I know I won't frequent; such as either of the evergreen forests, but overall I try to keep them around since they grow back during rain; they are, at most, a nice way to get what amounts to a carrot in a crock pot every so often.

Again, in my opinion it's not what you dig up necessarily, it's where and how many you dig up that is the issue; digging most of them up within walking distance is kind of like destroying a herd of Beefs, cooking all of the Mandrakes, or burning a bunch of reeds. As for why you might want to, that primarily comes down to you.

Blue caps are good for boss rushing, but they can get stale quickly and drain your sanity by a lot, so unless you're speed-running I would personally suggest alternative sources of healing. Green caps are good for sanity gain, but so are Cacti (even better due to how many you can get in bulk as well as restoring health unlike cooked green caps) and sleeping. Red caps are good for Wormwood or in a crock pot, but if you dig them up you would only benefit from having two caps from a single mushroom. Permanently.

Overall the benefits are either negligible or detrimental in the long term. However if you are in a remote area that you can almost guarantee no one is going to notice or care, then I say go for it.

If it's one of the servers that get reset when everyone leaves, yeah go for it, who cares. If it's a world thats going to survive for an extended period of time, I'd avoid digging up any mushrooms in underground mushroom forests, as those are the easiest sources of large amounts of mushrooms. Stray mushrooms scattered around the world are fair game imo

It's rude, but I say it's acceptable within reason. For example, if you're ruins rushing then digging up a portion of the bluecap forest would be fine, but just digging up every single mushroom you see on the surface would be pretty annoying.

Imo its fine except for whenever you get the setpiece with the mushrooms in a circle, as at that point its a free source of filler, but in most cases yeah on pubs it isn't going to last long enough for that to matter so go for it

Since you don't often have rain in autumn, digging up equals harvesting until you get to spring, but with double profit.

And if by spring you're still alive it means you didn't rely on mushrooms to survive up until now so it doesn't really matter.

Mushrooms should be treated as a bonus, lack thereof shouldn't make your game experience and chances of survival deteriorate significantly.

It's one of those tips on how to be courteous to other players. Its not as much as a cardinal sin like burning Reeds, Cacti, Hammering catcoon dens ect. since mushrooms are always reneweable but it is still rude and inconsiderate to do so. If you want a ton of mushrooms, just walk around the corresponding mushtree forest at the corresponding time. Sometimes some public worlds do survive for long and if I'm aiming to find mushrooms in Klei_PengullParade on day past 2000 for a fishing spoon or a funcap, I should be able to.

I'd say if you keep the amount low, no one will even notice or care (especially if its red caps). Don't do it without a reason, don't rid entire biomes of shrooms and keep in mind that there should be fair amounts left in biomes like mush forest and deciduous cause people might come there exclusively for gathering shrooms.

I'd argue it's not as bad as excessive flowerpicking or low% tool littering everywhere.

General etiquette would dictate you not doing that no matter what, on principle. In practice however, even on Endless pubs, I've encountered numerous times all PK forest mushrooms being dug, alongside all Pig Houses hammered, extinct Catcoons (since everyone needs 2 stacks of big meats) and chunks of forests burned to a crisp for good measure because players generally are bundles of joy and good will. So knock yourself out, why be part of the solution when you can be a fine problem yourself?! If is fun, F the rest! Your entertainment matters. Right?! Those Ruins speed-runs won't pop Blue Caps out of nowhere so better dig up all Blue Forest ones since you clearly need 3 stacks of them for very "efficient" mojo between Shadows and AG. Oh, some other players would Ruins/Boss rush? F them too, first come first served, is a pubs hence hectic belligerent environment ftw! A bad deed per day keeps the good reputation away I always say! HIC!

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

General etiquette would dictate you not doing that no matter what, on principle. In practice however, even on Endless pubs, I've encountered numerous times all PK forest mushrooms being dug, alongside all Pig Houses hammered, extinct Catcoons (since everyone needs 2 stacks of big meats) and chunks of forests burned to a crisp for good measure because players generally are bundles of joy and good will. So knock yourself out, why be part of the solution when you can be a fine problem yourself?! If is fun, F the rest! Your entertainment matters. Right?! Those Ruins speed-runs won't pop Blue Caps out of nowhere so better dig up all Blue Forest ones since you clearly need 3 stacks of them for very "efficient" mojo between Shadows and AG. Oh, some other players would Ruins/Boss rush? F them too, first come first served, is a pubs hence hectic belligerent environment ftw! A bad deed per day keeps the good reputation away I always say! HIC!

same, these ruins/boss rushers who won't think twice about harvesting 120 blue caps for solo entertainment make my blood boil.

personally, i only dig up red mushrooms in the 1st autumn to help the team in terms of early fillers. And as the game goes on we get access to better fillers

tbh - take what you need, just don't take more than you need.  If you are going to rush the ruins and you take some blue shrooms from forest odds are no one else will even notice.  If you have a stack that goes yellow / red before you're done with them, dig up less next time.  I usually only take 10-15 blue shrooms on my way to the ruins the first time, and I won't hesitate to dig them if I have to.  Its not a big deal, I still come back and fill bundling wraps full of them later.

Same with pig houses.  Knocking down 2 pig houses isn't going to be a problem.

These are usually for accomplishing early game goals anyway.  If 1 person clears the ruins, no one else needs to dig up blue shrooms to do it.  Everyone top side can probably get their own shrooms or more likely make other healing dishes to get them through.  The overall effect is insubstantial.

If you're digging up shrooms outside of some early rush I'd question your reasoning though.  At that point its probably not helping you, let alone everyone else lol

edit - I wouldn't advise digging up a shroom circle ever.  First off they look cool, secondly you can convert them to the type of shroom you prefer.  No reason to waste these awesome little set pieces.

I never dig up mushrooms on pubs and dig them up in private worlds only if that is blocking placement of something important (I try to save as much shrooms as possible while choosing base/checkpoint location though) or if that will help to control fire spreading. However, I think it's ok to dig up mushrooms on pubs (as well as berry bushes and other resources) if they are only occasional bonus in biome in question. In particular, it's ok to dig up in mandrake/moonstone forest or near monkey villages, occasional mushrooms in glasslands, but it's not ok to do that in any of the mushroom forest, decidious (especially in the area with big concentration of mushrooms), near cave exit with a lot of mushrooms.

However, it's ok to dig up/hammer anything diggable/hammerable if there is meteor field nearby since it will be quickly destroyed anyway; on pubs in thick forests I also don't mind someone digging up/hammer resources because someone starting uncontrollable forest fire is only a matter of time (in fact, I dig up berry bushes myself from there and relocate them because of that).

As for the ruins rushes (pubs or solo worlds), I find it more convenient and consistent to just use surf'n'turf for healing instead of mushrooms (I look for silk anyway for bug net and prestihatitator, I use tent for Wormwood), just chop 16 extra logs for alchemy (since 1 flint axe gives exactly 20 logs (science machine + alchemy), and I need to craft it anyway), use moggles and hutch to minimize damage taken (usually 2 football helmets or log suits and 3-4 surf'n'turfs are more than enough), kill mushroom gnomes for living logs, so I don't really need to craft shovel at all. Sure, I'm slower than average ruins rusher (day 16-19 is when I get to the surface with loot), but I don't mind the delay, don't leave destruction wherever I pass, have more pig houses to hammer to start bigger pig farm after rush, and in general this strategy incorporates better in my playstyle in relatively longterm worlds (worlds, in which I stay after ruins/any other rush).

Regarding boss rushes, on pubs I find it more efficient to gather people and kill Dfly rather than soloing it, same for BQ; for soloing (on pubs) I use trail mix/butter muffins/healing salves (Wormwood) for rush or just delay those fights until spring (so I have plenty of time to get better damage dealing and healing options).

Archived