Wilson a disciple of Wagstaff?

I find it peculiar that Wilson owned a Voxola PR-76; Considering that before the factory of the same name burned, few had been distributed.
Also, even more curiously, both Wilson and Wagstaff are currently the only two characters who have shown us to have been able to build a working gate for the Constant, apparently with "trivial" Earth technology.
What if Wilson knew about Wagstaff? He was an undisputed genius; in the game he invented teleportation, an android with free will and he is in possession of an occult technology that makes him capable of projecting his own ghost "avatar" without having to travel with his physical body.
In short, surely Wilson would have been fascinated by such a genius; perhaps as a young man he decided to follow Wagstaff's footsteps, and for this (not by chance) he took possession of one of the few Voxola PR-76s in circulation.
Ponder people, ponder.

image.jpeg.5c95a8dcafba43ccfbc1a15b75411deb.jpeg

hm i'd think that wilson may be a big fan but it depends if they are in close proximation also wilson was only able to make a working portal due to maxwell instructing him how to do so but that still requires the knowledge of knowing tf maxwell is saying so eh guess he does have some brain cells still alive

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I love that you used my meme.

Only question is it seems Maxwell assisted Wilson with the radio. Makes me wonder what's up with Wagstaff and Maxwell?

57b92c97d6b2c_justaprankwilbro.png.a9bc68259d688f1bb54c6c83df55e303.png

I didn't know the image was yours, I had "borrowed" it from reddit; is having a lot of success then! :'D
Anyway, I guess Maxwell and Wagstaff had a few beers together before 1906. Otherwise it can't be explained.

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

hm i'd think that wilson may be a big fan but it depends if they are in close proximation also wilson was only able to make a working portal due to maxwell instructing him how to do so but that still requires the knowledge of knowing tf maxwell is saying so eh guess he does have some brain cells still alive

True, very true, Maxwell had to educate him first. But let's be honest: I believe a tiny, tiny fraction of the world's population would have been able to build a dimensional gate, Maxwell or non-Maxwell. Then some still repeat that Wilson is not a genius, lol.

Just now, Dr.Medic said:

but why does woodie own one of those radios? surly he is all about technical things

Probably mass production. Would love a future short that's a fake newsreel about the beginning and end of Voxola company.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

but why does woodie own one of those radios? surly he is all about technical things

Woodie is just questions: how come at some point he started turning into a goose and a moose? Was the curse different before? Do curses change over time? Do curses evolve like pokemon? : 'D

Just now, Pop Guy said:

Woodie is just questions: how come at some point he started turning into a goose and a moose? Was the curse different before? Do curses change over time? Do they evolve like pokemon? : 'D

woodie is a pokemon

I believe Wagstaff knew about the constant somehow, and built his portal all on his own, with no external help. 
I think the reason why Maxwell chose Wilson, out of all the people who had a PR-76, was because he was the safest bet, given he was entirely willing to listen to the strange voice on his radio.

1 minute ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

I believe Wagstaff knew about the constant somehow, and built his portal all on his own, with no external help. 
I think the reason why Maxwell chose Wilson, out of all the people who had a PR-76, was because he was the safest bet, given he was entirely willing to listen to the strange voice on his radio.

Maybe; but we don't really know anything about how Wagstaff came to build a gate. And something tells me he got to know Maxwell; a previous meeting of them from a narrative point of view would be much more interesting.

55 minutes ago, Pop Guy said:

Maybe; but we don't really know anything about how Wagstaff came to build a gate. And something tells me he got to know Maxwell; a previous meeting of them from a narrative point of view would be much more interesting.

I don't think Wagstaff has ever met Maxwell. Going by his quotes for his statue and Maxwell's door, it seems he knows of Maxwell, but hasn't ever had a chance to talk with him

A few things,  If he was a disciple he would definitely be a disappointment as Wilson is a huge moron.  If Wilson was a disciple to one of the smartest people in the modern world of Don't Starve he would at least have an IQ of above 12.   Wagstaff was able to build the portal without anyone's help from what I can tell, but Maxwell had to tempt Wilson with the knowledge of knowing how to build the portal,  since like I said before Wilson is a moron and it would probably take him years just to figure out how to build the base design of the portal.

1 hour ago, Pop Guy said:

Woodie is just questions: how come at some point he started turning into a goose and a moose? Was the curse different before? Do curses change over time? Do curses evolve like pokemon? : 'D

Plot twist Woodie was always a beaver but he was cursed with being human.

Why people always say that wilson is dumb? Science is about trial and error (like the game), he wanted to discover new knowledge with his experiments (experiments that needs certain amount of knowledge). Isnt like Newton wake up with the gravity formulas lel

Who is more stupid, the smart guy who fails or the guys that doesnt understand why he fails?

Something in Wilson's favor is that he is almost certainly the one who invented the Science Machine and the Alchemy Engine.
Yes, other people can make them, but that's just game mechanics. 
Character quotes regarding them either have them reference the machines with a passing familiarity, a vague understanding of their purpose, or a completely unrelated tangent. 
Wilson on the other hand very precisely describes that the machines break down objects into scientific components, essentially re-structuring objects into entirely different objects. 
I say Wilson invented the machines, and everyone else only has an elementary understanding in what their purpose is, enough that they can use them. 

10 hours ago, minespatch said:

Only question is it seems Maxwell assisted Wilson with the radio. Makes me wonder what's up with Wagstaff and Maxwell?

I've actually theorized about this, thinking that Maxwell may have gone to Wagstaff and showed him the Codex Umbra to see if his genius brain had anything to say about it.

9 hours ago, GrMcGillacactus said:

I don't think Wagstaff has ever met Maxwell. Going by his quotes for his statue and Maxwell's door, it seems he knows of Maxwell, but hasn't ever had a chance to talk with him

But this is a good point, too! I guess that debunks said theory. Anyway, even if they never met each other, I think Wagstaff somehow got a hold of the Codex Umbra (or maybe even a few pages of it, or something) for a short period of time and was able to either figure out how to use his inventions (ML-77 and PR-76) as communication links between the Constant and the real world, or he accidentally made them communication links. I dunno. 

10 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

True, very true, Maxwell had to educate him first. But let's be honest: I believe a tiny, tiny fraction of the world's population would have been able to build a dimensional gate, Maxwell or non-Maxwell. Then some still repeat that Wilson is not a genius, lol.

Spoiler

And by education, you mean the short transference of information with all that magical-seeming whirlwind surrounding Wilson before he smiles maniacally with his new knowledge? :))))

image.png.72c51ec42173367c5d26d8f3629d0466.png

image.png.00e50d5a798a5579cfa39dca551c041b.png

Wish my teachers could educate me like that, ngl :')

13 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Why people always say that wilson is dumb? Science is about trial and error (like the game), he wanted to discover new knowledge with his experiments (experiments that needs certain amount of knowledge). Isnt like Newton wake up with the gravity formulas lel

Who is more stupid, the smart guy who fails or the guys that doesnt understand why he fails?

"Wilson is a gentleman scientist, which was an actual thing back when. He's a person of independent means who has decided to apply his intellect, such as it is, to science. He's not actually a very good scientist. He's overconfident, a little brash. He's got a can-do attitude, but he can't actually follow up on a lot of things." February 18, 2013

Wilson followed Maxwell's instructions to open the gate for the costant (or Hell) because he wanted to be a successful scientist. He didn't invented it through hard work or knowledge. He chose a shortcut thinking to be smart, instead he doomed himself and others. He might be not dumb, but his actions aren't smart either.

37 minutes ago, NotRatty said:

"Wilson is a gentleman scientist, which was an actual thing back when. He's a person of independent means who has decided to apply his intellect, such as it is, to science. He's not actually a very good scientist. He's overconfident, a little brash. He's got a can-do attitude, but he can't actually follow up on a lot of things." February 18, 2013

Wilson followed Maxwell's instructions to open the gate for the costant (or Hell) because he wanted to be a successful scientist. He didn't invented it through hard work or knowledge. He chose a shortcut thinking to be smart, instead he doomed himself and others. He might be not dumb, but his actions aren't smart either.

That's why Wilson would better be described as "a science enthusiast" - one that likes to engage with science (reading, superficial experiments, etc), yet isn't actually adept at it by any scientific mean. More-so, his vocabulary and way of thinking doesn't have the classic "scientific structure" (eloquent loquacious, Linnaean taxonomy approach to encountered phenomena and beings, Scientific Theory mindset etc). Aka what one can see in Wickerbottom's and Wagstaff's quotes, the more true scientific-oriented characters.

Not to mention Wilson is pretty much some "running joke" in relation to a clearly "failed scientist" trope: the "adorable dork" original mascot for DS/T.

22 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

Probably: 1. To calm down over the loss of his wife  2. He listened to music to dance with Lucy.

22 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

both Wilson and Wagstaff are currently the only two characters who have shown us to have been able to build a working gate for the Constant

I know this might be uncannon but I think Wagstaff and Wilson could be related somehow like the uncannon lore that Warbucks is Wilson's Uncle. He could be related as they both have the same hair style and science just runs in the family. (Or Gentleman for Warbuck's case.)

Archived