Cheating/Command use in specific scenarios. Your thoughts?

Your thoughts on this?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Using the console or cheats to get around an unwinnable scenario(due to a bug for example)

• It's fair/legitimate, as long as the issue is not your fault.
    • It's still cheating, regardless of the scenario.
  2. 2. What about my own scenario?

• I'd consider it still fair or legitimate, the missing fountains weren't your fault.
    • I'd consider it cheating, regardless of the situation being out of your control.

I just wanted to ask a question regarding the use of console commands or cheats to get by literal unwinnable scenarios.

I ask this not long after encountering such a scenario myself, in my vanilla world(No server mods at least) where I'm trying to get to the new content and boss as fast as I can, I came across a case of unfortunate worldgen, I ended up with a small archives biome that had no fountains at all. This forced me to use console commands to spawn in the fountains just to progress. Mind you, this was 195 days in, with me having already placed the celestial altar and tribute, I really didn't want to have to start over.

Heres an image of my archives for anyone wondering.

20210516161825_1.thumb.jpg.dd006027033caf9552be337116829db9.jpg

Would you consider it scummy or cheating to have to use console commands to get around a scenario like this? Or do you think such a run would still be seen as legitimate or fair? I just want others thoughts regarding this/

And if anyone wants the seed to see this for themselves. The seed is 1620545752

If you're fixing something the game literally messed up and didn't generate properly it's totally legit and fine to do.

Pretty much any other use of console commands is cheating though and is much worse than rollbacks.

As a console player it grinds my gears when pc players who use dodgy mods and console commands call rolling back cheating and act like they're superior.

If it is literally impossible to do something because of glitches then that is the sole time I would use them and sole time I would think it's not cheating. I would use c_gonext just to verify that something actually didn't spawn in, first, though.

Although if you were to try to submit this 200 day world to speedrun.com for the slowest run of something, I am sorry but you would be disqualified.

4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Although if you were to try to submit this 200 day world to speedrun.com for the slowest run of something, I am sorry but you would be disqualified.

speedrun.com is a meme anyway. Also I'm not considering it a speedrun, moreso I just wanted to see how quickly I could do it in terms of day count. I'm so used to having worlds go 500+ days without me really getting to any raid bosses, so I wanted a world where I was a bit faster.

When I didn't have fountains, I didn't add them using the console, I completely regenerated the ruins. Even twice - the fact is that the world was created before the update with the archive. And when I recreated it the first time to add new biomes, yes, there were no fountains, and I had to do it again. And to be honest, this method seems to me... Well, I don't know, a little more legal than using the console? After all, I don't put these things where I'm comfortable - I just give the game a chance to generate a new normal map, which in turn gives me a chance to enjoy the new content.

But it works because I don't usually build anything in caves. It's always a question of how much progress you're sorry to lose and how global the innovations are. For example, I had to give up ~1500 days of one world, because although the update automatically added an ocean to it, later it didn't spawn those sea carnivorous flowers, and I wanted to see them in my game, and they usually appear as a forest, so it would be a lot of work to add them one by one myself.

But if we talking about some one single unique structure, located in a world that you are not ready to regenerate just for it, then yes, the console is quite justified. For example, I don't have any tall bird nests in the world, and I'm now thinking of adding a couple, in the biome where they usually are, just to be there. As long as you don't get any extra benefit from it, but just want to enjoy the content that the game was supposed to provide you with, everything is fine.

I mean I guess it boils down to two questions:

1. Do you feel guilty about it?
  2. Do you regret it?

There's times where I do and do not regret my actions as long as it doesn't affect anyone else's enjoyment except mine and as long as I don't make a habit of it. I wanted the Bundling Wrap recipe in my world but didn't want to fight BQ so I just rolled back until I got the blueprint; felt scummy in the end for not technically earning it.

I used to spawn things in all the time and as a result I had my BF secretly rebind the console command to something I couldn't guess. Eventually I came to terms with it and now have much better self-control than before. Although I still rollback if something major happens such as my base burning or I am running out of time before the world resets.

I agree with the others, if the game glitches and that makes stuff impossible, then it's definitely not cheating to fix that. My ancient guardian once glitched out in the ocean when it rammed on antlion's boulders, and died there, so the chest and the key became unreachable. 

Using console commands to make the game easier and rollback to fix (otherwise avoidable) mistakes feels kinda cheating to me, so I don't do it. But I don't really mind what others do on their world, it's "your world, your rules" after all.

as long as its your own server you can do whatever you want.

personally I've been fond of c_reset() ever since deerclops spawned 2 inch from my base with no warning sounds, or when my entire base smoldered and burned down to summer during the 5 seconds i took to haunt an amulet.

well then its not realy cheating to fix something that is broken like you literaly are now blocked off of contend if you dont spawn in the 3 fountains so its all fair and if we are at it i personaly if i have to do something fast on my private games i always just go god mode while im gone because that way i can just skip the loading screens

12 hours ago, Lokena said:

But if we talking about some one single unique structure, located in a world that you are not ready to regenerate just for it, then yes, the console is quite justified. For example, I don't have any tall bird nests in the world, and I'm now thinking of adding a couple, in the biome where they usually are, just to be there. As long as you don't get any extra benefit from it, but just want to enjoy the content that the game was supposed to provide you with, everything is fine.

To be honest, I ended up spawning the fountains on the opposite side of the archives to where I had to place the iridescent gem to power them on, so effectively I had to run the sentrypede gauntlet just to get to the knowledge then run back to the orchestra to get the recipe I needed.

13 hours ago, Lokena said:

For example, I don't have any tall bird nests in the world, and I'm now thinking of adding a couple, in the biome where they usually are, just to be there. As long as you don't get any extra benefit from it, but just want to enjoy the content that the game was supposed to provide you with, everything is fine.

Console player here.. god I wish I could do this I have a single tallbird nest in my world =( really hope we can somehow repopulate/create more nests normally in a future update 

14 hours ago, Terra B Welch said:

To be honest, I ended up spawning the fountains on the opposite side of the archives to where I had to place the iridescent gem to power them on, so effectively I had to run the sentrypede gauntlet just to get to the knowledge then run back to the orchestra to get the recipe I needed.

Actually, I guessed from your post that you would do something like this. Running through the archive back and forth is part of the fun of this quest. And even if you used the console, it's not the same as just automatically learning a recipe and totally skip this part. Sounds more than fair to me. )

I've had worlds where vargs spawn on the first hunt, the oasis doesn't spawn, etc etc. There's nothing wrong with situational use of the Console or Admin Scoreboard to fix worldgen errors or unjust deaths. It's a game, you should have fun!

The only limit for how much you want to use the console is you. The only reason to avoid commands is if you think it will inhibit your sense of enjoyment. Unless you're speedrunning there's no third party holding you to account for anything, it's just a matter of what you personally feel fine with. 

3 hours ago, Fitzmir said:

I've had worlds where vargs spawn on the first hunt, the oasis doesn't spawn, etc etc. There's nothing wrong with situational use of the Console or Admin Scoreboard to fix worldgen errors or unjust deaths. It's a game, you should have fun!

varg can spawn in first hunt its possible happened to me too i died

oasis literally has to spawn it was intruduced in new reign and if there was a bug like that it was supposed to get fixed but well if you say so maybe it  could be happening with unbelieveably extrememly rare bug (if you get one please give me the seed) 

i agree you should have fun

On 5/17/2021 at 3:39 AM, fimmatek said:

I agree with the others, if the game glitches and that makes stuff impossible, then it's definitely not cheating to fix that. My ancient guardian once glitched out in the ocean when it rammed on antlion's boulders, and died there, so the chest and the key became unreachable. 

Using console commands to make the game easier and rollback to fix (otherwise avoidable) mistakes feels kinda cheating to me, so I don't do it. But I don't really mind what others do on their world, it's "your world, your rules" after all.

Couldn't

you roll back?

"Regenerate world" button is in the game menu for a reason. I don't care if people think it is there so people can mistaken it as then rollback button. I believe we should put the regenerate world option back to its intended use.

Archived