How do ya like Scale Mail?

Well this is a contender for one of the most expensive Bee Queen kills. Seems like most of the strategy was about the flingomatic freezing things that are on fire. Why not use a dwarf star and some grass instead? No risk of burning her loot that way, too.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Well this is a contender for one of the most expensive Bee Queen kills. Seems like most of the strategy was about the flingomatic freezing things that are on fire. Why not use a dwarf star and some grass instead? No risk of burning her loot that way, too.

She breaks herself out as well as her bees, breaking out of ice and regrouping to attack you again. She has a stupid kiting pattern and cannot be frozen easily in this fight, Klei made sure that it would get harder to freeze her overtime or her followers when it happens. Apparently fire is an answer sometimes unlike ice.

17 minutes ago, Gi-Go said:

You nearly burned her loot 

I kept a close watch with her and my attacks, it wasn't too close xD

Overall this strategy is pretty damn effective considering the cost, for those who don't like playing Wolfgang or using catapults might as well be proven pretty good for intended game mechanics.

18 minutes ago, Tykvesh said:

Haha, that's why yesterday you've been plucking scales off the poor Dragonfly?

Nah, I had a lot of suits premade after I raided many many chests in the maze and had to recycle them sooo... the scale farming was at least partially for this sorta thing with BQ xD

Otherwise I need all my chests upgraded, cuz normal ones suck

well i made a topic on scale mail and i think they need some buffing in multiple ways like no burning wich literaly can make the world burn or even just there loot wich is realy stupid and here you can read more

While the BeeQueen scalemail method is effective, she can also just be kited, and you're running the risk of burning her loot if you can't tell her health. It's the only boss it's remotely good against, and the risk of uncontrolled fires is often greater than the reward.
Sanity
You're only getting +3.33 sanity a minute, which is less than a hibearnation vest or equal to a dapper vest.

Armor
The fact you're spending what could be 1260 HP in the form of log suits and football helmets on a single scalemail where you get 945 HP and you're taking 50% more damage is very obviously bad.   of 70% armor, fire resistance, and +3.33 sanity.

Fire
Fire really isn't a big issue, there's only 3 or so mobs with fire attacks. 

Pros?

• Infinite +3.33 sanity without durability
  • Burn bee boxes and keep them burning while harvesting for no more angry bees
  • The pros are really just using stuff while they're burning, not much else.
  • It's good for temporarily distracting mobs, like hounds or bee queen's minions

TL;DR Scalemail bad, helmet gud

considering you used spicy jelly you could've just done the fight normally with a marble suit, a bee hat and 4 uses of a pan flute; it would've been 2 minutes longer but would require no healing and way cheaper items instead

scale mail is great
you can fire stun lots of enemies
but its doing its job here. you take less damage from lots of small mobs attacking.plus it means you wont get stunned as much yourself.
meaning more dps.

Scaled furnace is really the only good scale item, like when you kill your first dragonfly, you never think "oh hey, now I can finally make that scalemail/scaled chest/scaled turf I've been needing", no. You always make the furnace first. Scalemail is probably the worst scale item, since it actively harms any flammable structures/plants near you, and can burn up mob loot. If Klei changed it so scalemail had a fire aura similar to enraged dragonfly, or did a bit of fire damage when you take damage, I could see it being better. Personally, I'd like to see the scalemail become a tank armor, but instead of boasting good protection stats, it gives you an additional boost to your dps. I also saw in the thread posted that scalemail could recover by being placed near heat, which I think is a cool idea. Considering the ingredients provide more protection than the actual armor, letting it recover it's own durability would be a nice buff, and wouldn't be as overpowered as repairable armor sounds. Assuming it got buffed in a way that made it good, how often would you actually use it? It's a raid boss item, sure it's an easy boss, but still a raid boss, it deserve to be at least good.

There is one use I have for scalemail: farming monster meat from varg hounds during summer/autumn.

39 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

Scaled furnace is really the only good scale item, like when you kill your first dragonfly, you never think "oh hey, now I can finally make that scalemail/scaled chest/scaled turf I've been needing", no. You always make the furnace first. Scalemail is probably the worst scale item, since it actively harms any flammable structures/plants near you, and can burn up mob loot. If Klei changed it so scalemail had a fire aura similar to enraged dragonfly, or did a bit of fire damage when you take damage, I could see it being better. Personally, I'd like to see the scalemail become a tank armor, but instead of boasting good protection stats, it gives you an additional boost to your dps. I also saw in the thread posted that scalemail could recover by being placed near heat, which I think is a cool idea. Considering the ingredients provide more protection than the actual armor, letting it recover it's own durability would be a nice buff, and wouldn't be as overpowered as repairable armor sounds. Assuming it got buffed in a way that made it good, how often would you actually use it? It's a raid boss item, sure it's an easy boss, but still a raid boss, it deserve to be at least good.

There is one use I have for scalemail: farming monster meat from varg hounds during summer/autumn.

scalemail is the 2nd item i make.

the furnace really is strong
But when you learn about fire stunning it makes scalemail that much more useful.
plus no need to worry about fire hounds.
I like to use it most on a beefalo so that way it doesn't take damage but you still have the immunity

5 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Scaled furnace is really the only good scale item

All scale items are good. The scaled furnace is simply the most appealing option, which makes sense since it's the only one you have to kill dragonfly to get. You can just injure her and run away to get the others.

like when you kill your first dragonfly, you never think "oh hey, now I can finally make that scalemail/scaled chest/scaled turf I've been needing", no

When I kill bee queen I never think "Oh hey, now I can finally have jellybeans/bq crown" since the bundling wrap is stronger, but jellybeans and bq crown are still very powerful. Same thing with dragonfly, although to a lesser extent.

You always make the furnace first.

No I make the scaled flooring first so I can make four furnaces from one kill. But then I've got 2 or 3 scales left over so I make the other items as well. 

Personally, I'd like to see the scalemail become a tank armor, but instead of boasting good protection stats, it gives you an additional boost to your dps. I also saw in the thread posted that scalemail could recover by being placed near heat, which I think is a cool idea. Considering the ingredients provide more protection than the actual armor, letting it recover it's own durability would be a nice buff, and wouldn't be as overpowered as repairable armor sounds.

Bramble husk. Also combining both of those perks together would be overpowered.

Assuming it got buffed in a way that made it good, how often would you actually use it? It's a raid boss item, sure it's an easy boss, but still a raid boss, it deserve to be at least good.

It is good right now, it's just only good in a few situations like the bramble husk & bee queen crown (another raid boss drop). I don't think it needs to be another all-purpose general use armor when we already have log suits, football helmets, thulecite crowns, shelmets, thulecite suits, night armor, bone armor, marble suits, battle helms, and cookie cutter caps.

There you go, it's useful. Other than looking funny, the one use I have for the bq crown is fighting AFW (I never remember to bring it to the APSS!), but I'm fine with that. Items that excel in their niche (Bq crown, scalemail, ice staff, fire staff, weather pain, etfc) are so much more interesting & useful than items that are trying to be like all the rest.

I do think that scalemails need a buff perhaps in increased health pool only, since I only started using this thing up to when it was 2k days when I was assured about my resource stability I still wanna see a boss-made item to be not too frail when I wanna deal with BQ since I don't see that many uses for this thing sadly. Overall the armor's usefulness is pretty good for houndwaves in summer when far from base and got no traps on other places like Pearl's island.

Just cause scalemails are costly, for me they are easily farmable at the stage of the game I'm at even as solo. Expect me doing more weird strategies and experimentation in the future.

One other thing that needs a buff is chill amulet for combat, it's weak considering that a lot of things take more times to freeze and bosses count any freezing source to make them grow their dump 'anti-cheese' protection. I wish that would not happen with specific items other than flingos.

My world's huge and I've got at best maybe 10 scale furnaces around as 'spawning points' with lots of amulets around, cuz playing survival and I use those for safely. Scaled floorings are good for bigger bases with smoldering on, scaled chests can be made whenever. I live in oasis, it doesn't bother me.

On 5/16/2021 at 2:56 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you can deconstruc it at 1%

On 5/16/2021 at 2:51 AM, ShadowQueen said:

Scalemail is okay for fighting enraged dfly, but it isn't really worth the scale. Scaled furnace is 100% better:wilson_dilemma:

Scales are kinda easily farmed late game. There's really no point in deconstructing.

You really don't need the scalemail... Instead of that, use a Wendy instead, a cheaper alternative..

I use a level 3 Abby, a nightshade nostrum, 3 marble suits, 2 bee hats, a ham bat (or use 2-3 dark swords), a few things of healing (2-3 perogies), and a boat, it's the best method to use for killing bee queen very early

Spicy jelly is optional but then you should use 1 bee hat and 1-2 suits

Archived