Does max sanity represent intelligence or resolve?

At first I thought max sanity cap was linked too high intelligence. The key characters like Maxwell and Wickerbottom enforced that assumption. Then we have Wormwood that doesn't display any form of great knowledge, and has a very simple language. How come  its sanity is so high?

Another weird candidate is Walter. Despite having a title "Fearless", which could contribute to resolve, he is just a little boy and I highly doubt he is a prodigy to be on par with the old lady. Because of his f̶o̶o̶l̶i̶s̶h̶ brave act, he almost got minced by deerclops.

If bravery constitutes to max sanity cap then why Wortox isn't at the top of the list? The imp seems to enjoy the chaos revolving around the constant, and even managed to eat a former soul of it's master (Krampus). You may ask how eating your master is linked to high resolve? Well, the imp faced a dilemna of either accepting to kidnap the little beefalo or go against the master wishes. If it was weak/average, they would never revolt and it's a mark of bravery going against the daily routine.

So, what do you think max sanity cap constitutes to?

Sanity is linked to sanity. Almost every single character has the same amount of sanity, and the characters with less sanity are an unhinged pyromaniac, a delusional larper, a small child eaten by a spider, a crazy imp, and a challenge character.

11 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Sanity is linked to sanity.

Well that's resolve then. If a character "breaks" (nighmares chase you), they have little sanity left. So the characters with more sanity take much longer to "break" than the pyromaniac hence more resolve.

His clothes. 

Think about it, you bring up sanity by wearing a top hat, fashionable vest, a Scottish hat, a Garland. 

Maxwell has a full suit fitted to him and always feels very dapper. 

Edit: I read 'max' as in Max's and responded only to the title. I'm an idiot

I think is related to mind resilience or mental health fortitude (AKA sanity) I mean a pyromaniac is probably used to dealing with insane periods and delusions, and being in and out of them. While a strict knowledgeable old lady takes longer to lose her mind but when she does, it’s harder for her to be back in her happy place.

Things that makes the characters happy will slowly restore sanity (feeling well dressed, being friends with pigs and getting their protection, eating good food, etc) and things that makes them unhappy, scared or just miserable will decrease their sanity.

Maxwell is probably already very knowledgeable of this mechanic and that’s why he always keeps himself dapper no matter what, so his sanity restores itself over time.

It could be related to lotsa things, maybe to their usedness to loneliness, to their mental fortitude (if thats a thing), to their personality and that sort of thing. Also every characters sanity is related by one thing, the mighty balance hammer

To me max sanity relates to comprehension and ones ability to cope.

The reason Wormwood has a high max sanity is because to him that world is all he has ever known. His has a limited concept of "Monsters" and what can be considered "scary".

There are also the rational characters who can find reason or a workable theory to the unknown.

On the other hand Webber has a concept of "monsters" and no way attach a logical explanation to such phenomena.

When it comes to resolve/resilience/bravery, I believe that can be attributed to their natural sanity regen and sanity loss rates. 

When you look at the things that increase and decrease sanity, I think there's an implication that it is how stressed out a character is.

Things like good food, nice-looking clothes, picking pretty flowers, and sleeping make them more sane/less stressed.

Things like being near scary monsters, wearing wet clothes, using mysterious magical powers, and wandering around in total darkness make them less sane/more stressed.

And whatever is on the lunar island seems to be making the characters feel very relaxed and passive, actually putting them to sleep if they get the opportunity. So, since lunacy/enlightenment is the reverse of sanity, this fits in with the idea that the sanity meter is more of a reverse-stress meter.

So, higher max sanity may represent the ability to withstand more stress, more emotional or mental stability.

But I think the meta answer is that some characters need to spend sanity points on casting spells and things, so they get a bigger pool to work with. And some characters are meant to be more challenging, so they get a smaller threshold to the low-insanity effects. So it may not always make sense with who the characters are as people.

Archived