Let's get real here for a moment.

Hamlet andShipwrecked is not gonna happen.

I'm trying to bring this up cause I seen many and many of these posts begging that HAM and SW to happen, but we really don't need that content since we've already got all the necessary things similar to both DLC's from Singleplayer. (such as mushlamps/glowcaps, infinity light source, normal pigs, boats of it's own type of mechanics, swimming ocean fish and ocean biomes ect.)

I'm just trying to ask to gather the common sense we have to realize that. We got that content, to not full extent in similarity, but Klei is working on DST and NOT focusing on bringing Singleplayer stuff cause DST is it's own thing. And I'm not saying that they shouldn't bring in some types of features similar to the DLC's, cause clearly there's plenty of cool mechanics that HAVE been implemented already or reworked completely (a.k.a. farms and boats) and hope more things to be remade to fit the current title we're all playing.

On that note, I think after years of talking about these types of topics I think we should spare some time to start sparking up the topic about:

|Through the Ages|

This expansion was told by Klei to be planned before they decided to work on a New Reign expansion for DST instead.
As a while ago it was planned to add some bit of variation to the basic biomes, more technical stuff were planned to be worked on and what we got is the beefalo domestication which was introduced as a New Reign Quality of Life update for DST years ago.

I feel that we need this type of expansion mainly to refresh the current worldly mechanics that we've got to improve:
-Evolving world as years go by;
-New World generation Settings (like- archipelago);
-Weather patterns;
-Sea content updates that RoT haven't delivered properly to make the sea feel more lively and have reason to go venture to (or at least yet);
-Cave biome improvements, as we got big patches of land underground are as dull as a rock can get;
-Crossplay for consoles perhaps(?).

These are my thoughts and I hope it would spark some sort of discussion about this.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

Of course, theoretically SW and Hamlet would obviously be fun in multiplayer, everything is. But porting them over would just take far too long and make single player essentially DS irrelevant. The logistics of it would be weird to sort out too. Do they make SW/H a seperate world option? Lower-end devices already have trouble with both the caves and the surface, adding one, possibly two more worlds to run simultaneously would be painful. Or does the DLC content just get tacked onto the existing map? Do players have to pay for the new DLC? If so, does any player that joins a DLC world have to own the DLC too? I remember Klei stating that they didn't want to divide up their playerbase like this, so they'd either have to go back on their word or have just the host pay for the DLC content. Which, considering the effort a port takes, would (probably) not be a very good move monetary-wise. 

If they're going to do anything with the DLCs, I'd rather for Klei to just add onto them as they are now with things like the Home Sea Home update SW got some years back. I don't see it happening soon, but it'd be much more preferable and realistic than a DST port.

On the topic of what to add to DST, I'd like to see some cave improvements as well. Disregarding the ruins, the caves are pretty lackluster compared to the surface. Exploring the caves is honestly much more boring than normal surface exploration. 

I just want to see what Klei does. I haven't asked much but for anything DST related(and maybe cut Hamlet content being moved to DST like the zebs and crabapple trees). 

If anything, Klei should think about using unused content from the dlcs and tweak them for DST. Stuff that they didn't even put on the official dlcs and explore the mechanics here.

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

I just want to see what Klei does.

Yes and I'm just putting a disclaimer that I'm more curious on what will Klei want to do than what I want to happen. Klei can do whatever they want, it's their game and they've been doing that for years and so far they've added plentiful of good content. Further more, DST is a very awesome project to make the game's experience the best and interesting as possible in many ways, even if it's the event content, anything just to improve the life in the game or events to observe is something that could feel Stardew Valley-like and or just natural and enjoyable to have and mess around with.

So far the game revolves around the player's actions themselves than the world really doing anything besides throw in some moonrocks and all. The fact that we've already discovered things like Moon island, ancient archivelunar grotto and they're great! One thing I can tell at least that lunar grotto feels like it's sort-of evolving, a mole-bat infestation can occur, glass regrowing in a special cycle and funky gnome dudes whomping around wherever the players walk. It's perhaps most liveliest area in caves, honestly.

3 hours ago, Warpspeed10 said:

I want this more than anything else. I don't like feeling like I've "beaten" the game after the first year.

Agreed. But the thing is of the game that it shouldn't feel like a 'finished game' in a sense how stereotypically people want a 'final boss' kinda of -esque. I just think the game experience should feel like it's more of a stroll in whacky odd and maybe beautiful nature as we got it now.

Pearl's island is not mandatory but really gives a good reason why to fulfill her quests. Though a shame that she is left only as a trader and her trades are KINDA expensive. Sometimes I wish we could just buy the bottles from her. The sea is empty and right now only useful for fishing with just... very annoying dangers ahead like ye boi Wavey that everyone hates, and the mad shark.

The game has a lot of potential and the old content we've got is already finished. The game itself is finished if we don't count the expansions. Overall the experience only can be enhanced to enjoy and nothing more.

12 minutes ago, Mantas said:

I just think the game experience should feel like it's more of a stroll in whacky odd and maybe beautiful nature as we got it now.

Dear god, yes. The RoT has basically become a storyline arc. Every piece of new content is just another step towards expanding the story.

And the old content, the whole 'uncompromising wilderness' was put on a hold. This game needs more randomness, for example seasonal content that is randomly chosen every time a new season starts. One winter you have to deal with blizzards, the other one new, mysterious icebergs start floating in the sea along regular icebergs. 

New roaming creatures that can despawn so that players actually have to think on their feet and not just unload them and come back later, such as a travelling trader of sorts met at the sea or near shores.

World progressing as years go by or as a result of players actions. Pigmen with armor, amplified seasons etc.

And just... a revamp of the world at the beggining. Fallen trees/logs in the forests, boulders covered with moss, mushrooms growing out of rotting stumps like in gorge. Farmplots in the Pigmen villages. Merm villages instead of stray houses throughout the swamp.

Seriously, dst's world is so dynamic, interesting and engaging... just not in-game.

Agree. We dont need things that are alredy sold, it will be a bad idea. Free updates are made to engage people to keep playing if those updates are just old things a lot of people wont be motivated to play since are things that that players might be expecienced a lot. Also they will need to repair the code and port it so is a lot of work for just adding things that wont create hype in people that have played those dlcs for long time. People should remember that this is a bussiness and some suggestions are just bad ideas that wont happend.

Fresh stuff!

Also, as you said, is better to improve what we already have than add stuff for the sake of adding stuff. We need new season, points of interest in useless biomes and newbiomes not klei breaking their heads to figure out how to introduce old dlcs into the game. I hope they return with ToA expansion

Thar being said, it doesnt mean that they can add or reutilize little things from the dlcs like how they added, in a complete different way, loabsters. That can be applied with scorpions, palm trees (oasis cof cof), snakes or just reskining mobs like how they reskinned the forge boarila to make spider monekys 

14 minutes ago, tulips said:

This kind of thread is constantly proposed, which shows how bad DST ocean content is at present

I would say little than bad and even being that empty sw one isnt more filled. Just because the land is split doesnt mean is better, just made to be a sailing game but we dont know what will be added. 

At the moment rot sea content>>sw

The mechanics are deeper and more balanced but sw has more content because is enterily made to be a game about walking on the water (at the end there is only waves and jellyfish as op source of healing and hunger)

I agree with you, it's not making much sense to re-making DLCs but I believe Klei must take a look to their old game, specially Hamlet and give a time amount to make it playable and unique.

I believe hamlet was not our expectations, not even near to it. It feels unfinished and lacking in so much things (Specially performance problems).

Just take a look at to comment section of Hamlet update and see how people was upset about it.

17 minutes ago, Slagger said:
Spoiler

I agree with you, it's not making much sense to re-making DLCs but I believe Klei must take a look to their old game, specially Hamlet and give a time amount to make it playable and unique.

I believe hamlet was not our expectations, not even near to it. It feels unfinished and lacking in so much things (Specially performance problems).

Just take a look at to comment section of Hamlet update and see how people was upset about it.

Yea I can see the discontent behind that and still the bitterness people were left with on not having that experience as a finished product, but we gotta put that aside and see this as an opportunity that DST as their new project will be better overall.

As much as we would like to have extended Hamlet experience in singleplayer or port to multiplayer - it makes no sense to have it ported in since it's not even that 'good' of a product considering the unfinished content and poor optimization. There's just many reasons why Klei decided on giving up 50k copies of Hamlet for free so people in singleplayer would enjoy their infinite lights and new types of materials to enjoy while they could focus on DST updates overall instead.

Let's face it, there's only a certain dedicated community to singleplayer right now that would keep it alive, all other majority of people shift minds on multiplayer as a better experience overall and it's probably a better choice for Klei to focus on that than focusing on an 8 year old engine game with it's own limitations.

Let's at least let the legacy of singleplayer to die in peace as it served it's time being one of best titles released, and we could forget giving too many comparisons and reasons to add the content by porting the things that really don't fit into the field of the game.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In conclusion to that, I think people would seek on the next series having things like:
-Better and improved modding tools.
I've heard complaints about them, since Klei is using different kind of tools to develop DST I think the community would be happy if there were perhaps things like Map Editing Software and the said better and improved modding tools to create your own experience field of the game. (I heard that Spriter is real hell for modders to look for artists to do it. Cause it is hell.)

1 hour ago, tulips said:

This kind of thread is constantly proposed, which shows how bad DST ocean content is at present

I'm sorry but this is not even an argument. Klei's vague with what they'll add next but I think they see potential for future content to be added there.
As of now, the ocean only exists as a canon consequence to RoT updates, if you didn't quite understand what I meant in this thread what I was saying that I hope next expansion is going to be focused on towards fixing these sorts of issues, not saying that it will be but just hope.

The fact, of how you describe 'how bad DST ocean content is at present' was clearly set to do temporary solution for people to find 'reason' to go there, like moon islands and seaweeds, king crab, bottles. It's a whole giant biome world that is yet to be livelier someday and right now it's existence is really not relevant besides just being there.

Just to disclaim, I'm not trying to diss you here, it's that people make the same argument over and over and get mad about yet we really need to see the bigger picture of what Klei at the moment IS doing rather than what they SHOULD do. Besides minor tweaks and details that may need fixing time to time, at least.

Yeah, I as well hope in future, post "Return of Them" expansion (after all of it is out), KLei will keep updating DST at its core content & mechanics, aka existing Constant Forest-shard biomes and Cave-shard ones as well - plus much more. Like previous comments, world progression a la "Through the Ages" would be a good way to go with: mobs evolving over time, new Weather and Seasons variants with specific mobs 'n' mini-/bosses, visuals and mechanics that show passage of time, wider RNG range for mobs behavior & environment phenomenons, a lot more (seasonal too) ocean content, etc etc etc. Not to mention new biomes, perhaps seasonal-accessible, ability to go "deeper" into ruins (maybe visit the Nightmare world "below", seen briefly via Nightmare Fissures plus Nightmare Lights, through a special gen similar to Atrium) a.s.o.

A return to some more creepy tone & style would be appreciated too - just the other day I was browsing YT and came upon below audio composition that reminded me a lot of old DS general atmosphere and implied world aesthetic:

In fact I for one see all this "Return of Them" content as THAT "1 macro world-changing event triggered by player(s)" mean to the progression end: doing the Celestial Champion quest will alter world ("Moon" Alter entity *wink*), upping stakes and difficulty of a future "Through the Ages"-like subsequent expansion (or at least, is my wish) bringing to fruition more-or-less the vision from this (and past alike) thread(s). I do believe KLei reads, takes notes over players expressed desires and knows DST is a proverbial "golden goose" not to be left out-of-hand for foreseeable future. Let's hope for the best..

PS: lore-wise, returning "Them" (the abyssal eldritch gods?!) to Constant's plain once more (current "Return of Them" expansion) can usher mentioned "Through the Ages" future progression into a more harsh, "uncompromising wilderness" experience a lot of the experienced players expressed desire for time-and-again; would neatly tied-in from all POVs.

My personal opinion is Klei has all these designs and assets already coded and SHOULD be easy to implement into DST which is more than I can say for them taking months to create a new skin, new character or even brand new mob.

All the Concept Art, Animations Etc... it’s ALREADY Done, it’s content they “could” add to DST and with minimal effort.

But that’s just my opinion as a game player, theirs as the expert studio making updates is probably different.. 

When the company that made Left 4 Dead 2 add ALL the maps and content from L4D 1 they were able to do that because MOST the work was already done... and yeah it may have killed L4D 1 but that’s besides the point.

With DST/SW/Hamlet we have mobs, biomes and content Thats NOT being used.. They had limited time game modes like Gorge and Forge events that both introduced unique new content, mobs and more but where’s that at now??? “SOME” of that has slowly made its way into DST in the form of belonging skins

(gorge style fences as my example)

But what about some of the unique wacky enemy mobs from Forge?? 

I would absolutely love to know the logic behind “Adding new stuff is a lot easier then porting existing stuff”

Its roughly the same as a Sonic the Hedgehog developer creating Shadow Hedgehog or Knuckles.. 

Which is easier? Recoloring Sonics colors black and still using all the same animations, or creating a character with new animations of gliding and climbing walls?

I use this as my example because THINGS LIKE THIS ALREADY EXIST- 

1975957A-2F32-41B2-B2A8-6103CBE26C2C.thumb.jpeg.baaeaee9e48fa57c52c7bc0b490c3f1e.jpeg

What your looking at is a Snow Covered Palm Tree OUTSIDE of the Shipwrecked DLC.

Now someone tell me why Palm Tree’s aren’t in DST yet.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My personal opinion is Klei has all these designs and assets already coded and SHOULD be easy to implement into DST which is more than I can say for them taking months to create a new skin, new character or even brand new mob.

All the Concept Art, Animations Etc... it’s ALREADY Done, it’s content they “could” add to DST and with minimal effort.

But that’s just my opinion as a game player, theirs as the expert studio making updates is probably different.. 

When the company that made Left 4 Dead 2 add ALL the maps and content from L4D 1 they were able to do that because MOST the work was already done... and yeah it may have killed L4D 1 but that’s besides the point.

With DST/SW/Hamlet we have mobs, biomes and content Thats NOT being used.. They had limited time game modes like Gorge and Forge events that both introduced unique new content, mobs and more but where’s that at now??? “SOME” of that has slowly made its way into DST in the form of belonging skins

I would absolutely love to know the logic behind “Adding new stuff is a lot easier then porting existing stuff”

Its roughly the same as a Sonic the Hedgehog developer creating Shadow Hedgehog or Knuckles.. 

Which is easier? Recoloring Sonics colors black and still using all the same animations, or creating a character with new animations of gliding and climbing walls?

1975957A-2F32-41B2-B2A8-6103CBE26C2C.thumb.jpeg.baaeaee9e48fa57c52c7bc0b490c3f1e.jpeg

What your looking at is a Snow Covered Palm Tree OUTSIDE of the Shipwrecked DLC.

yeesh

9 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:
Spoiler

I really can't disagree more than what I would say, since--

9 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

It’s not.

--coded into the game to match DST content. We're getting Skins like Gorge fences cause they were popular in mods perhaps and in general it was a good idea to add them in consider how stylish they look.

Whole thing about Shipwrecked and Hamlet content to be added in needs recoding, fixing bugs that might come with the assets of porting and maybe in general would need a whole new code? Remember when Klei mentioned about DST had to be recoded whole to work for multiplayer and to work on a newer engine? There's more work to it than you think, just saying that 'you can just drop in these things' is just not true. Just cause prefabs are the same doesn't mean it's all still gonna work with the rest of the game, it's like putting a square shape into a star shaped form.

Even Klei had mentioned before a New Reign that it would be a tremendous work to port in these types of things, and perhaps copyright issue with Cappy to which probably won't contribute to the factor of porting it to DST unless it would be for a big buck.

I don't think that porting in the DLC's is the money issue for them but it's more of a thing that they've got perhaps a reliable set team to work on DST content and the arcs they make like RoT series. They're adding everything necessary from the DLC's into the game already!

Honestly that palm tree looks ugly as heck in the DST climate setting, it's like putting a tropical climate into a Northern area like, come on man. As a local chef would say 'I'm frankly offended by the mere suggestion.'

7 hours ago, tulips said:

I have a question. The style of DST is primitive, and the civilization and technology are very backward. Does this also limit the development of DST?

What are you talking about and what do you mean by that?

31 minutes ago, Mantas said:

that palm tree looks ugly as heck in the DST climate setting, it's like putting a tropical climate into a Northern area like, come on man. As a local chef would say 'I'm frankly offended by the mere suggestion.'

I'd rather have a island later on that would fit the tropical trees. 

Only time I've seen palm trees fit in a non-tropical area is California and that's more of a Desert area.

Considering the tropical experience mod exists, it really cannot be that impossibly hard to add hamlet/shipwrecked content. In my entire time using the mod before losing my world (ironically enough not to the mod, but to caves delaying rollback so the world reset timer kicked in) I never noticed any hamlet/shipwrecked content that was not included in the mod, minus irrelevant things like ancient herald dropping the cloak directly instead of dark tatters, character dialogue not being implemented for pretty much everything, and lifebloom armour dropping directly from ancient hulk. If a mod can get things like pig shops, shipwrecked sailing, ancient hulk, continent-based hound attacks (bats on hamlet island, crocodiles on shipwrecked island, hounds on base island), continent-based seasons and seasonal bosses, aporkalypse calendar, etc, etc, etc; then I don't see why it's so impossibly hard for professional game developers to carry over some of these elements.

Sure, some of them may not fit the game's balance 1:1, but there's so much content I enjoyed playing together with others from the dlcs that I think it would be a real shame to leave all of it out, especially since a lot of it could be used to spice up the early game.

1 minute ago, Masked Koopa said:

then I don't see why it's so impossibly hard for professional game developers to carry over some of these elements

Nobody said it is impossible what is being said is that it will take a lot of time and headaches to make it work in a balanced way (and you talk like that mod is perfect when it has a lot of bugs and unbalanced stuff). A lot of time without adding true new content which is a negative thing for a videogame that the way of gaining money is engaging players every month with new content and, in that way, try to sell skins and characters over time

A lot of people that had play hamlet and sw wont be excited to wait updates filled with old already experienced stuff. Hype and fresh content sells

People sometimes forget that this is a bussiness

Sure, but on the flipside, the player houses in that mod made me buy a lot of skins that I otherwise would have never bothered with to help decorate the home with. And while there are bugs involved with the mod, the same can be said for many of klei's official products, and none of them inhibited my playing experience in any noticeable way. The same can be said for balance in both departments. 

Even if you think that existing players won't appreciate the content being added to dst due to being exposed to it from singleplayer DS, I would imagine one of klei's goals is also to expand their playerbase, and the varied visuals of the DLC locations might be a nice way to accommodate for these. Ultimately, it's impossible to be sure whether of not it would be worth it for klei, so I'll have to take their word if they think it's not viable. But people shouldn't act as though the content is incredibly difficult to port. 

5 hours ago, Masked Koopa said:
Spoiler

Sure, but on the flipside, the player houses in that mod made me buy a lot of skins that I otherwise would have never bothered with to help decorate the home with. And while there are bugs involved with the mod, the same can be said for many of klei's official products, and none of them inhibited my playing experience in any noticeable way. The same can be said for balance in both departments. 

Even if you think that existing players won't appreciate the content being added to dst due to being exposed to it from singleplayer DS, I would imagine one of klei's goals is also to expand their playerbase, and the varied visuals of the DLC locations might be a nice way to accommodate for these. Ultimately, it's impossible to be sure whether of not it would be worth it for klei, so I'll have to take their word if they think it's not viable. But people shouldn't act as though the content is incredibly difficult to port. 

As much as it sounds great, I really got doubts about that it would 'expand' the player base besides adding up more dedicated players maybe-maybe not. Not sure about this one honestly. As much as it would be fun to have those DLC's added just to play around for fun, I don't think they fit into DST.

It's better to give Klei time on doing other things and maybe adding Hamlet from the both DLC's since it doesn't really affect Cappy (hopefully).

Overall, just improving quality of life to enjoy the experience than adding more content is visibly a better priority considering how much content we already have in the game.

Archived