[Poll] On Public Servers and Questionable Practices

bbbrap skededededbap beepbop skeebap  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following practices would you consider as fair and proper in the context of playing in a public server?

• Prolonging a public server by using an afk player setup, 24/7.
    • Prolonging a public server with people in different time zones.
    • Kicking people using a ban list tool.
    • Kicking people that want to regen the world.
    • Using scripts/mods that check if people equip a torch or hammer.
    • Ensuring that you and your friends have majority votes for rollbacks, world regens, and kicks
    • Using alternate accounts at the same time to have enough votes.
    • Spawn trapping.
    • Removing spawn resources.
    • Kicking people by voting.
    • Other (do mention in the comments)
  2. 2. Which of the following practices would you consider as unfair and improper in the context of playing in a public server?

• Prolonging a public server by using an afk player setup, 24/7.
    • Prolonging a public server with people in different time zones.
    • Kicking people using a ban list tool.
    • Kicking people that want to regen the world.
    • Using scripts/mods that check if people equip a torch or hammer.
    • Ensuring that you and your friends have majority votes for rollbacks, world regens, and kicks
    • Using alternate accounts at the same time to have enough votes.
    • Spawn trapping.
    • Removing spawn resources.
    • Kicking people by voting.
    • Other (do mention in the comments)

3 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

After clarifying @Tranoze's concerns I've made this poll at this behest, to further delve into what truly counts as foul and fair in a public server.

As always, vote freely and list your answers in the comments!

Can you highlight "unfair" and "fair" so people wont mistaken between the two, i cant belive someone actually try to vote afk is fair.

Just now, Tranoze said:

Can you highlight "unfair" and "fair" so people wont mistaken between the two, i cant belive someone actually try to vote afk is fair.

no formatting available for question titles sadly, but i'm one hundred trillion percent that people can understand the contents of my polls. 

19 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

no formatting available for question titles sadly, but i'm one hundred trillion percent that people can understand the contents of my polls. 

You missing some option:
"burning or cause destruct to other people's base/structures or world renewable."
"prolong a server" (some people just dont like server prolonging no matter the method).
"force people to pick or to not pick a specific character" (example saying you shouldnt pick willow, or instant kick any willow that joined)
"force people to follow some rules"

These are real things actually happened in klei public too, and should be address also.

I played on public servers one maybe two times? I don't see the appeal to be honest.

In games like DST you want to either:

* Bring friends and load up a private server. This is fun, but typically rare except you have a ton of gamer friends with similar taste. I did this maybe 5-7 times in total since I play DST.

* Or join a moderated inhouse community. I'll be looking for something like this in the future maybe. Certainly don't have enough time to maintain such a thing.

A bunch of the options here just depend of context and a lot of other criteria, public server experience is a mess in some scenarios (as lone players are absolutely defenceless against public odds). It's something a poll cannot sum up to what's good or bad like that : It's not your server so you don't make the rules, so far it sounds like there's none.

I voted as best as I could but some of these are really context sensitive. For example, I wouldn't kick someone just because he said "You guys wanna regen?" or something, but if he keeps spamming regen votes that fail that's annoying and I might call a kick if he doesn't stop when people tell him to.

And "Ensuring that you have majority" is pretty stupid if you're doing it just to have majority, but incidentally having majority because you're playing with your friends is obviously fine.

Vote kick, and things like it are fair if used responsibly. If the majority is griefers who just want to kick anyone new joining then it becomes unfair. theres a lot on the poll that is very context sensitive. The only ones that just seem objectively unfair and unfun in any context is spawn camping/trapping and the alt account one.

2 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

only kick someone if its a deserved one like literaly burning half of the world alsol how can someone be afk on a puplice server to make the world last? i mean wont they not get auto kicked for bein afk for too long?

Here an explain xanna made of how i afk with script.

9 hours ago, Tranoze said:

You missing some option:
"burning or cause destruct to other people's base/structures or world renewable."
"prolong a server" (some people just dont like server prolonging no matter the method).
"force people to pick or to not pick a specific character" (example saying you shouldnt pick willow, or instant kick any willow that joined)
"force people to follow some rules"

These are real things actually happened in klei public too, and should be address also.

After having slept and woken, at tgis point adding said choices would already be too late since a number of ppl have already answered the poll.

these options should have been mentioned too when you asked me to make said poll for you 

furthermore there's already an other option in case i did miss anything.

On 4/20/2021 at 9:41 AM, Tranoze said:

YES!  As a Willow main, you would not _believe_ the snobbery and predjudice I get sometimes when I (rarely, these days) try to join a public server.  STILL get.  In 2021. On almost the game's 5th birthday.  When she hasn't had her start-fires-at-random problem from regular DS since _before DST left beta_.  Just the "Ewwww, we don't want one of THOSE..." ticks me off in general. I've even had this happen on my OWN servers...because I'm betting the person who said it _didn't know it was mine_.  "Hi there, pyromaniac!"  (Dude, um...you see my playername here?  You see that star by the SAME name when you hit "Tab"? Eh, nevermind..)  Don't judge ALL players of ANY character as all being the same. We're really not.

Or, they might be selective because they're looking only for certain characters and not others to fill specific Roles as if this was a WOW raiding party or something.  I'm not into that playstyle, but that one doesn't piss me off 'cos there are a lot of servers to choose from, and some just happen to want things more organized than others.  In that case I'm more like "Understood, have a nice day." and leave on my own.

Anyway back to the poll, the ones I would consider the least fair are alternate accounts, and messing with spawn when players have NOTHING yet and therefore no way to get out of it, short of dying or being kicked.  Alternate accounts is flat out cheating.  Most MMO's will ban you for that the second you get caught.  It's a Not Done thing in the gaming world.  

Basically the methods that require some actual work to do/aren't jerky are the ones I'm okay with.

...Notorious

For me, it all comes down to circumstance. If you are doing any of those to troll, then no, If you are keeping some of them as a backup to help against a troll if they happen to show up, then sure, fine, maybe.

13 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

YES!  As a Willow main, you would not _believe_ the snobbery and predjudice I get sometimes when I (rarely, these days) try to join a public server. 

I feel you... 
It's a sad world out there

I can really only get behind vote kicking and removing spawn resources depending on context. I can kind of understand why someone would use a mod to check if a griefer is holding a torch/hammer but if you're really concerned about that you can press tab and check their character any time. 

Archived