Initial Exploration Is Boring

4 hours ago, Afr4y said:

Every guide I've ever watched says this.

YouTube guides are typically wrong.

4 hours ago, Afr4y said:

You can't survive without a beefalo herd.

Unless I'm taming a beefalo, in which case I'll say hello to a herd once, I usually either completely ignore beefalo herds forever and never care, or kill a single herd to get a beefalo hat. Beefalo herds are among the least important things in the game.

4 hours ago, Afr4y said:

You can't survive without a pig king.

What do you think he does? He is literally useless for you, you aren't even surviving long enough to make a base.

4 hours ago, Afr4y said:

You can't survive without a dragonfly desert(well I guess you could base in oasis but I dont like it.

Why do you need the dragonfly desert? And why is the oasis an alternative? Is if tor the cactus? Because that's the first thing in your list that it's actually useful to have easy access to, but it's still completely optional and I probably only have easy access to it like half the time, maybe even a third.

This is all you need to survive:

image.thumb.png.14e569569f2c9d8474c08f3c06abf829.png

A food source, a heat source, and a cold source. Koalephants and/or wild berries/carrots can be a food source instead of a farm and you aren't surviving until summer, so you can live anywhere you want with just a thermal stone and a fire pit. Or, if survival is exclusively your goal and you don't care about anything else, you can not even have a thermal stone or ice box and just have a fire pit, endo pit, and farm, and that'll keep you alive.

You are obsessing over the perfect base location when you can't even survive long enough to build it. You should be trying to learn how to not die instead of that, especially since you find it so boring.

What I meant when I said use a controller (doesn’t have to be Xbox) is that it’s a million times more comfortable (at least for me) to use then pressing keys on a Keyboard or physically moving a mouse about.

This is originally why I QUIT PC gaming nearly 2 decades ago... but I’ve been told the controllers are now compatible with PC games so, who knows? Next time I’m rich I may give it another go.

My point was simple though: Moving about a analog stick with your thumb is a lot less effort then moving your wrist & arm about to use KB+Mouse.

Anyways: I agree the game needs a global pause button.. there’s a Mod for this, Borderlands (a game released in 2009 with 4 player drop in, drop out coop) had this... why does Klei’s game in 2021 Still not have this?

51 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Unless I'm taming a beefalo, in which case I'll say hello to a herd once, I usually either completely ignore beefalo herds forever and never care, or kill a single herd to get a beefalo hat. Beefalo herds are among the least important things in the game.

Do you use a puffy/breezy vest for warmth then?

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

Sorry, but dying on day either means you're dying to mobs or from hunger. And dying from hunger means you're not getting food from mobs.

The easiest two healing dishes in the game are butter muffins and trail mix.  

Butter muffins- 1 veggie (mushroom/carrot), 1 butterfly wings, 2 twigs

Trail mix- Just use 2 berries and 1 roasted birch nut and 1 twig

The absolute easiest meat in the game is from rabbits. Just stand between the rabbit and it burrow. Try to make barely run towards it burrow and run alongside it for a bit then turn around and smack it.

Use 2 morsels to befriend 2 pigs and instruct them to kill each other. The more pigs around the better as it will start a pig war. To do this try to hit one of your befriended pigs but move away before the animation completes. Then do the same to the other befriended pig as it chases the first one.

Destroy every pig house in your world and place them all in one place and continue to get them to kill each other for easy pig helmets, food and hambats.

Take a pig army into a beeehive biome and have them clear a few. Make your own beehives for more easy food and sanity. You'll need a few silk for the nets so kite the spiders or take a pig army. They dont need to follow closely behind you. Followers teleport to you when they get off screen. Honey is great for sanity.

This can all be done in the first autumn. You'll never need food, health or sanity again. 

uisprogamur :)

2 minutes ago, Afr4y said:

No, most people use the Thermal Stone and wonder why Klei even bothered adding any other clothing items into the game at all.

It is the single survival tool you will ever need: both for Heating up and Cooling down.

Its so OP and broken that I’m kinda hoping that when/if a Hardcore mode is added to the game: Klei strips away our ability to craft a Thermal stone.

Just now, Afr4y said:

Breezy vest, no never. That sucks. If I want to stay warm I'll use either a thermal stone, a beefalo hat, or a puffy vest and either beefalo hat or tam o'shanter.

But it takes more than two and a half hours of gameplay before even the first day of winter arrives. You do not need to find beefalo immediately and base next to them, you can base wherever you want and then find beefalo later to get the hat. The hat which is entirely optional and can be replaced with a thermal stone.

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No, most people use the Thermal Stone and wonder why Klei even bothered adding any other clothing items into the game at all.

It is the single survival tool you will ever need: both for Heating up and Cooling down.

Its so OP and broken that I’m kinda hoping that when/if a Hardcore mode is added to the game: Klei strips away our ability to craft a Thermal stone.

I mean, I know it's good, but you still have to warm up constantly by a fire. Isn't that too time consuming?

Wolfgang and woodie aren't dlc. 

11 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Some characters can mix up exploration a bit. Walter has Woby, Wolfgang can go mighty, and Woodie can go Weregoose. Wortox can soul hop around  and Wormwood can bloom, but those are DLC characters, so I don't know if you have those options.

26 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Breezy vest, no never. That sucks. If I want to stay warm I'll use either a thermal stone, a beefalo hat, or a puffy vest and either beefalo hat or tam o'shanter.

But it takes more than two and a half hours of gameplay before even the first day of winter arrives. You do not need to find beefalo immediately and base next to them, you can base wherever you want and then find beefalo later to get the hat. The hat which is entirely optional and can be replaced with a thermal stone.

ok then

27 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

?

I was complimenting you on your knowledge of the game.

The thermal stone is pretty much all you ever need, that and a way of heating it up and cooling it down..

a normal campfire, burning a tree etc get it warm.. Sticking It in a fridge or standing near a endothermic fire will get it cool.

The durability of a thermal stone only drops if you let its temperature go back to not being hot or cold but that’s not a problem since it only takes 12 rocks & Pickaxe to craft a new one.

Your problem seems to be not playing the game long enough to know what biomes most your resources are going to be in.

Examples: Most your rocks will be in a rocky biome, Beefalo are always in a hay colored Savannah, etc...

once you have a feel for what items spawn in what biomes you’ll know what to do and where to go to gather your resources.

1 hour ago, Afr4y said:

Thermal stone op, burn a tree and drop it near so it becomes so hot, orange means hot which can be reach with a campfire but it can be hotter but it doesnt show you how much, you get almost the max temperature by dropping it near a burning tree twice but with one tree it last so long. Anyways, if you want a beefalo/winter hat (obv beefalo hat warms you more you can use coats for extra insulation if you dont mind inventory space) you have 20 days to find some beefalos. Just check savannas but you dont need to explore an entire savanna in the moment you find it. You can find so it will be discovered in your map and come back later to find these beefalos. Same for other stuff.

As new in the game i would advice you to play without worry about dying. Just try to learn the most you can before diying. Is what i did in the dlcs from single player, i was checking the recipes in the machines and what materials are needed more than trying to survive so in the next round i can have a better idea of what material could be important, for saying an example

I've recently started a new world, and i set it to small. I've set up camp in an oasis desert next to a beefalo herd, so  i figured i would just go ahead and get a hat. I've already got 10 evergreens transplanted, along with 10 grass and 11 saplings. I'm working on building a gobbler bait pen and then I'll place down some berry/juicy berry bushes.

1 hour ago, Afr4y said:

I mean, I know it's good, but you still have to warm up constantly by a fire. Isn't that too time consuming?

Depends on the heat source. The better the heat source is, the hotter the thermal will get (which means you don’t need to heat up as often). In particular, burning lone trees of any sort (evergreen/twiggy tree/birchnuts) is insanely effective, as the heat generated from them is enough to get characters to suffer from overheating, even in the middle of winter. Not even campfires/fire pits come close to that level of heat!

It also helps how thermals will heat up if dropped by burning objects. If I ever need a thermal heated up, I usually drop the thermal near a burning tree and do other things nearby. You could technically get away without using clothing, but I would still recommend wearing something like a tam.

Final note, you can actually gauge a thermal stones temperature via how strong the glow around it is. The stronger the light radius emitted from a thermal is, the longer you can go without heating up.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Remember that even if the thermal stone is pretty good, it doesn’t scale, either. If you have around 300 insulation or better, you will almost always be more heated up then someone with a thermal. The stronger the insulation is, the higher that gap gets as well.

In particular, I used to do a lot of petrified forest mining with a beefalo hat + hibearnation vest combo, while also benefiting from the insulation of Webber’s beard. That combo allowed me to trivially go without heat for over 2 entire days (or still almost 2 days without the beard). Thermals usually give me 6-7 minutes of heat before I need to go back and heat up again.

Summer gets a bit more tricky since icebox thermals are really good and you don’t really do exploring in summer anyways, but there’s also items that drop your temperature by a significant amount, like the luxury fan. Considering how you will likely only need one fan to deal with overheating issues the entire summer if you have one piece of 240 summer insulation gear, I think it’s alright.

7 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

In particular, I used to do a lot of petrified forest mining with a beefalo hat + hibearnation vest combo, while also benefiting from the insulation of Webber’s beard. That combo allowed me to trivially go without heat for over 2 entire days (or still almost 2 days without the beard).

If you overheat yourself before heading out (such as from 2 fire pits) a beefalot hat + hibearnation vest lasts for about 20 minutes (2.5 days) with no beard.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If you overheat yourself before heading out (such as from 2 fire pits) a beefalot hat + hibearnation vest lasts for about 20 minutes (2.5 days) with no beard.

And the good part is, puffy vest performs just as well as the hibearnation vest except for the hunger slowdown effect.

12 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Jesus. That's a lot of heat.

On 4/12/2021 at 3:24 AM, MrDo said:

Do not be unfair to him. The map should be fully open at the beginning of the game because exploring it is ridiculous.

I actually prefer the opposite: no map function whatsoever.

I'd like an option to turn it off so I don't accidentally click on it. I like to rely solely on my memory to survive and nowadays I only see it when I mis-click.

On 4/14/2021 at 4:11 AM, Afr4y said:

You can't survive without a beefalo herd. You can't survive without a pig king. You can't survive without a dragonfly desert(well I guess you could base in oasis but I dont like it.

you can absolutely survive without a beefalo herd. you can absolutely survive without a pig king.

I would prefer a dragonfly desert but it is not necessary to survive.

I suppose if you have not survived past the first winter these things might seem more essential than they are but I assure you, they are not,

On 4/14/2021 at 1:31 PM, Afr4y said:

Thanks, but I don't do that kind of thing. I'm determined to be able to do what others can, just as good as they can. That's why I have to make everything hard on myself. Frankly, It's why I play games anyway.

You're not gonna build a spice tolerance by consuming a ghost pepper...

If it makes you feel better, I modified the heck out of my worlds when I was new. I put monsters on less, food on more, turned off hounds, frogs and bosses completely and played on only spring. I also based on the first savannah I could find (the one near spawn) because I was told by youtubers that 'rabbits are op' (lol).

As I got more comfortable with the game mechanics I started to experiment and build random structures, including a firepit and crockpot and dryingracks and farms, and walked further and further from base and finding new biomes was a very 'WOW!' moment that I oh so wish I could go back to.....

And guess what? Now I don't need to play with any modifications and can survive forever. The small trick is to spice your mild food with some pepper until you get the hang of it.

Just stop watching videos about how to play. Learn yourself. You dont need to play like other people in videos. If you want to survive you dont need beefalos or pig king. Kill rabbids, spiders, frogs, birds or go fishing. Or you can live near the swamp. There are a lot of free stuff after explore. If there are some spiders, tentacles and merms, just sit and watch they will kill each other and you will get the loot. Silk, meat, spider glands, tentacle things. All free. 

In my opinion you should find your own playstyle. But you dont really need to explore all world in one time. Find some renewable food source and dont stay in dark. Instead exploring the map, try to learn about items in the menu. 

Have a good day.

I don't play DST much anymore but in DS I always explore for about 16 days, sometimes longer if I know I can be ready for winter in time.

Making a base early on wastes more time than you think in some starts. First 20 days you want to gather as much as you can, find immovable keypoints of the map, and save inventory space by pre-building structures you know you will need later. Then evaluate what you have uncovered and decide a place to plop everything.

If you can't survive to winter even in DST there are deeper problems in your gameplay than just exploring.

Archived