We need a new ocean destination

I feel like the ocean needs another landmass, bigger than lunar perhaps. A few biomes, an npc group like the pigs or rabbits but different. Tropical maybe? I know they won’t borrow much from shipwrecked but we do need somewhere new to explore, and a new reason to sail. 

We all want and all we have is waiting.

Also unpopular opinion. I think Klei should decrase land iceberg frequency to really low (only one per one penguin zone, sometimes none) and ice should be floating on sea. In winter icebergs could spawn near to the land near the sea and in the other seasons we should go to the sea to find it.. This would be a good for making people go to the sea.

6 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Also unpopular opinion. I think Klei should decrase land iceberg frequency to really low (only one per one penguin zone, sometimes none) and ice should be floating on sea. In winter icebergs could spawn near to the land near the sea and in the other seasons we should go to the sea to find it.. This would be a good for making people go to the sea.

How does this make the ocean more fun and interesting?

I can get behind a lot of people wanting a polar north roaming with polar life.

We can have the native land of penguins. They make little cute igloo houses.

A 24/7 Mactusk camp to make walking canes easy to acquire. Maybe lower drop rate? 

Maybe a giant polar bear as a boss with frost armor.

Ice fishing. 

New blizzard mechanics in Winter while being hospitable and friendly in summer. Alternate basing than the oasis with its ugly sandstorms.

26 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I can get behind a lot of people wanting a polar north roaming with polar life.

We can have the native land of penguins. They make little cute igloo houses.

A 24/7 Mactusk camp to make walking canes easy to acquire. Maybe lower drop rate? 

Maybe a giant polar bear as a boss with frost armor.

Ice fishing. 

New blizzard mechanics in Winter while being hospitable and friendly in summer. Alternate basing than the oasis with its ugly sandstorms.

Oh dude if they did a polar North - mactusk villages. 

Maybe not with the tusks on all but man, I’d love to see mactusk society. 

I wouldn't be a fan of a northern pole walrus alternative as it would quite defeat the purpose of the walrus camps, I'd rather have a brand new destination with way more different mechanics, (a lot more) ocean mobs  and exclusive loot limited to only that place.

23 minutes ago, SaphironX said:

I feel like the ocean needs another landmass, bigger than lunar perhaps. A few biomes, an npc group like the pigs or rabbits but different. Tropical maybe? I know they won’t borrow much from shipwrecked but we do need somewhere new to explore, and a new reason to sail. 

I am literally confused why people state they won’t port over most the content from shipwrecked.

Especially since Reign of Giants (which was also once upon a time ago a paid DLC expansion apparently..) is now permanently and forever core gameplay content that can’t be bought separately.

If you bought the game on Xbox One it came with Reign of Giants content already part of the core game there’s No version of the game on Microsoft’s store that you can buy that DOES NOT already include this content.

(Apparently on PS4 it was sold as DLC but for Xbox.. it’s always been part of the game)

Even more intriguing than that is if you happen to own DS on Nintendo Switch there is not a single version of the game that you can buy that DOES NOT already include the Shipwrecked DLC expansion.

all of this is important to state because: THIS Exists-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dont-starve-mega-pack-2020/9n0935hnzwgl?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Yes you read that right- DS, DS Shipwrecked, DS Hamlet & DST all bundled in one purchase.

Now Who here can say that isn’t Klei’s plans all along? To discontinue to separate purchase options and only sale the Mega pack 2020.. Everyone who has owned the game content prior to this new upgraded version gets a FREE Upgrade with the content they didn’t buy before... but every NEWER purchaser of the game would have to buy the new edition of the game.

As crazy as that sounds... it HAS Happened Before: Both with State of Decay 2 and its Superior Juggernaut Edition.. AND With Injustice 2 Legendary Edition, Anyone who already owned the game got the updated version free.

Now if this were to happen... Everyone would all have the same content, DS, DST, Shipwrecked & Hamlet, and all of this content would be accessible to Klei to do with whatever they want they can go absolutely crazy porting that stuff into DST.. because everyone now owns Shipwrecked anyway.

Now when I spoke to Mr JoeW about if this was possible he didn’t exactly say no.. but he didn’t say yes either, all he would say is that he knows lots of people have asked for this.. but realistically it would take like 4-5 years of development & if it was something they could have easily given their fans, they would’ve already done it a long time ago, but realistically by them doing something like that it would take away from time adding new content to DST & this would kill DST.

Again.. that’s not exactly a Yes, or a No.. but it is SOMETHING.. so I will remain hopeful of a day (even if it’s several years from now) where DS, DST, Shipwrecked & Hamlet are all United as one.

I mean: people clearly aren’t seeing how big of a deal this would be- I could effectively play SW or Hamlet content while still using the skins I’ve paid for in DST.. 

Aside from the 5 years it would take to do something like this, it’s something I would love to see happen.

Personally I don’t want a full on port, I like what they’ve been doing with DST- taking features and improving them like boats and how they went from being boring water walking to actual boats that behave like boats....

What I WOULD like however are dense jungle biomes, magmatic biomes, etc..

The TL:DR- if put in the right places.... content from Shipwrecked and Hamlet CAN be added to DST

An excellent example is a “Redesign of the Oasis & it’s surrounding area to include sand storms, Palm trees, SW Snakes & Hamlet Scorpions.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I am literally confused why people state they won’t port over most the content from shipwrecked.

-wall of text-

Because it would kill the rest of singleplayer itself, there would be no incentive to play it.

RoG is considered base game by the community since the actual base game is pretty bland.

Now please let's get back to the topic;

A *new* destination.

1 minute ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Because it would kill the rest of singleplayer itself, there would be no incentive to play it.

RoG is considered base game by the community since the actual base game is pretty bland.

Now please let's get back to the topic;

A *new* destination.

How is porting content from shipwrecked and hamlet not considered a “new” destination?

Better yet- how is it any less “new” then Wormwood who was sold to me as a Brand New DLC Character?

If Klei removed Oasis area from where it’s at now.. made it bigger.. and put it out in the ocean where you need to sail to it- how exactly would it NOT be a new area with Snakes, Scorpions, primal monkeys etc??

Is it “Not New” because it’s something you’ve seen and done before in another game/DLC?

If that’s the case: What the heck do you consider Wormwood? I know what Klei considered him.. and that’s all that matters.

37 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I wouldn't be a fan of a northern pole walrus alternative as it would quite defeat the purpose of the walrus camps, I'd rather have a brand new destination with way more different mechanics, (a lot more) ocean mobs  and exclusive loot limited to only that place.

Yeah, I see what you mean. What if since its their home turf they're really hard to kill like riding woolly mammoths so theyre not an easy alternative to main land mctusks?  Think about how when you luck out on a walking cane and have to wait until next Winter to get another chance. Its worse in multiplayer when playing with friends. I've also noticed a trend with people resetting unless getting the triple mctusk camp because rng is a cruel mistress.

Now that beefalo taming is so nice tusks are a bit more scarce. Instead of feeding an ornary beef 1 grass to give it 10% obedience a brush can be an instant 50%. 

We can go as far as making it a mini boss for a chance a tusk kinda how the quacken has a chance at a walking cane? I think a year round alternative at a tusk doesn't have to be a bad thing nor does it have to be easy. 

As for ocean mobs it can have seals resting on its shore or a large species of shrimp. We can have freaky football fish, giant oarfish, etc fish change drastically to acclimate to cold weather. Tricky polar foxes that try to steal your stuff like the critters in hamlet.

There can be treasure that is hidden in polar ice caps and you have to battle armored penguins to get to it.

Ice fishing can also be a new mechanic for some nice goodies.

The north pole is also known for creatures that glow in the dark.

People underestimate just how much life we have in the north pole. 

A new item can be a magic unmeltable ice that goes into crafting a cold version of the furnace. New types of Winter plant mobs for Wormwood to play with. Blizzards that are dangerous to navigate through but offer tracks to follow for a rare mob.

Things to do in summer. Creatures come out of hibernation- maybe deer with valuable horns? A powerful type of healing salve or a new weapon. 

32 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Better yet- how is it any less “new” then Wormwood who was sold to me as a Brand New DLC Character?

How do you not see the difference between porting one character and porting the entire expansion? Wormwood is given for free if you own Hamlet, he is literally an advertisement for Hamlet. That is the opposite of giving DST players the entirety of Hamlet for free.

When it comes to finding cool things in the ocean there is one game where I would LOVE for the devs to take notes from. I think Wind Waker is my favorite sailing game ever.

Ww-ghostship.png.a53486b6618cef569779b00cdfda597b.png

Ghost ships: This can be something you have to follow similar to how we track down whales. They require fast malbatross sails or it could despawn off screen.

It will point to Pirate loot! Id love pirate themed loot, such as a Bejeweled pirates saber. 

300px-Northern-Fairy-Island.jpg.598e51be39e8eeacfa7a9081c0e50cba.jpg

Rare tiny islands that contain a mysterious entity. It may give you items, heal your stats, give you a blessing or maybe a curse? Bottle up a fairy and use is as a feedable lantern.

Sea_Platforms.thumb.jpg.0b9c5e5b6c9122dd226df21796bff07e.jpg

Lookouts! A rare spawn containing pirate monkeys! Take their treasured bananas! Maybe you'll find banana tree seeds?

1290839008_TWW_Beedle27s_Shop_Ship_Exterior.jpg.f2f97f9913c806668669550d040750f5.jpg

Pig traders! Trade gold for valuable goodies. Kill the pig and steal his stuff but beware of the pig police!

The-Legend-of-Zelda-The-Wind-Waker-large-409.thumb.jpg.e335576630dfb6370a93fb47ec79c965.jpg

Add a mountable harpoon and kill the giant skittersquid! Shoot wisely the harpoon takes a long time to reload and its the only thing that can damage it!

No sailing involved. It wil create a whirlpool and slowly pull you in a spiral to its center. Squittersquid will boards your ship so kill them quickly. Every once in a while one of the bosses eyes will be uncovered so shoot it then!

300px-Five-Eye-Reef.jpg.702188b1e6b3252758c7242fc91956fd.jpg

Reef fortresses! Sail through it as you get boarded by skeleton enemies! Fight your way to the end for treasure!

2 hours ago, Cassielu said:

To be honest, i prefer more ocean contest to more island, that would just give people more reason to build a bridge across the ocean.

Bridges across the ocean SHOULDNT be happening.. There should be mobs that target and destroy these miles of bridge players create..

That OR each player can only have one boat in the world at any given time.. and when they create a new boat, their previous one gets destroyed.. or something.

I’m not a fan of bridges across the ocean..

But I am in full support of taking the entire game (including already existing biomes) and splitting those up into islands and stuff.

DSTs biggest problem is all of its biomes with exception to a few newer Return of them spots: Are all connected as one huge cluster of biomes you can simply walk between..

It doesn’t make for a fun exploration/survival game... and I’m certain Klei has thought about ways to make these “walk in a straight line to all resources” obsolete.

From Valleys, to Cliffs, To Islands separated by having to sail between area’s.

I'd be fine with anything they add to the ocean at this point, but if I had to choose I'd like to see the Elder Bog return to make good on Mumsy's old promise. (Well, that, and I think an old, cobbled and mossy victorian city in ruins would make for a super cool biome.)

7 hours ago, Cheggf said:

How do you not see the difference between porting one character and porting the entire expansion? Wormwood is given for free if you own Hamlet, he is literally an advertisement for Hamlet. That is the opposite of giving DST players the entirety of Hamlet for free.

This is also inaccurate- Wormwood is given free only for PC players, for everyone on Xbox (not sure about PS4) they had to buy or weave him separately even if they DID Buy Hamlet.

and.. like I stated in my post: Klei wouldn’t be the first company to offer content people originally paid for into their game for free at a later date.

State of Decay 2 free upgrade to Juggernaut Edition rather players did or didn’t already own its dlc. Injustice 2 Free upgrade to Legendary Edition if you already bought the season pass.. Even newer games like THPS1+2 offer 10$ upgrade deals to the superior version of the game if you already owned “parts” of the original.

You say merging all this content into one game would kill DS solo, and you would only be halfway correct- this would kill the inferior version of the game... but ironically at the same exact time: Drive further sales for the superior version.

The Dawn of new more powerful more capable gaming platforms is already upon us.. and I’m expecting Klei to eventually utilize those new capabilities in some way or another.

Now rather they go the free upgrade route like Injustice and State of Decay 2, the Discounted Upgrade route if you already owned parts of the inferior game such as THPS 1+2 and Minecraft, or if they go the route of making you have to pay full price for a newer version (Batman Arkham Xbox 360 to Xbox One) of the game is yet to be seen..

But eyes are on Klei to eventually say something one way or another.

9 hours ago, Hornete said:

How does this make the ocean more fun and interesting?

Even if they add a ocean with full of new creatures and things, the future of it is gonna be like lunar's. You will say wow for first time but after a moment it's just gonna be another island.

Ice is an importan source and if Klei connect it with sea, we will have to go sea for surviving. I believe  using sea should be neccesity, instead of interest. Interest is temporary but necessity is not.

4 hours ago, Slagger said:

Even if they add a ocean with full of new creatures and things, the future of it is gonna be like lunar's. You will say wow for first time but after a moment it's just gonna be another island.

Ice is an importan source and if Klei connect it with sea, we will have to go sea for surviving. I believe  using sea should be neccesity, instead of interest. Interest is temporary but necessity is not.

I think itd be a silly design choice to mess/change with this core part of the game for seemingly no good reason, lowering the amount of glaciers on land and putting glaciers on sea doesnt make the game more interesting it just makes it annoying. If the player can't get ice as easily before then they'll just use other filler!

Yknow, content can coexist together, you don't have to remove a piece of content to make other content interesting, did Klei nerf the dark sword to make glass cutters "interesting"? No of course not, did they nerf ice boxes to make salt boxes "interesting"? Again, of course not. Because that's not how you make interesting game design, instead salt boxes and glass cutters are alternative options with different upsides and downsides to their counterparts.

Maybe sea glaciers can provide much more ice than their land counterparts, or spawn in large quantities, you don't have to remove/hurt existing content to make new content fun and interesting, and in pretty much all cases, it never does.

I personally don't think the sea should be a necessity per say, but rather just a big/integrated part of the game. You technically dont ever have to go into the caves to survive, now does that mean you shouldnt? No of course not the caves provides lots of advantages that makes your game very fun. I think the sea should be like that. (Admittedly caves are very.... bleh besides the ruins so I hope the sea can be fun and interesting than them at some point :lol:)

56 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I think itd be a silly design choice to mess/change with this core part of the game for seemingly no good reason, lowering the amount of glaciers on land and putting glaciers on sea doesnt make the game more interesting it just makes it annoying. If the player can't get ice as easily before then they'll just use other filler!

Yknow, content can coexist together, you don't have to remove a piece of content to make other content interesting, did Klei nerf the dark sword to make glass cutters "interesting"? No of course not, did they nerf ice boxes to make salt boxes "interesting"? Again, of course not. Because that's not how you make interesting game design, instead salt boxes and glass cutters are alternative options with different upsides and downsides to their counterparts.

Maybe sea glaciers can provide much more ice than their land counterparts, or spawn in large quantities, you don't have to remove/hurt existing content to make new content fun and interesting, and in pretty much all cases, it never does.

I personally don't think the sea should be a necessity per say, but rather just a big/integrated part of the game. You technically dont ever have to go into the caves to survive, now does that mean you shouldnt? No of course not the caves provides lots of advantages that makes your game very fun. I think the sea should be like that. (Admittedly caves are very.... bleh besides the ruins so I hope the sea can be fun and interesting than them at some point :lol:)

Maybe you are right for most of people but I really enjoy when a game force players to use all mechanics. 

50 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Maybe you are right for most of people but I really enjoy when a game force players to use all mechanics. 

Don't Starve isn't really that type of game, it's very open. Even if ice was exclusively on the ocean you still wouldn't have to go on the ocean since ice is an entirely optional thing. Even the most mandatory part of ice, flingomatics, can still be omit if you base in the oasis, have water cans and/or ice staves at the base to manually extinguish flames, or just stay away from anything on the surface that you don't want to burn, such as by making a cave base.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I think there being year-round glaciers in the ocean would be a very good addition. It wouldn't be particularly powerful in a normal private server, but it could be very useful in public servers or private servers with non-standard world settings. It'd be way more effort to get the ice than just walking around with a pickaxe, so I think that would balance out the year-round availability.

Would be nice to have some sort of rare vendor/merchant that would appear either next to Pearl's island or on new island mass. I remember suggesting a form of travelling black market cargo ship that appears few times a year and trades rare items/resources.

Perhaps the Seasonal fish and Seashells could find more use for these sort of trade deals.

As to "land mass" bigger than Lunar Islands i got no clue, i think devs could just expand it one way or another, so i wouldn't build any hopes up for seeing something 10x times the size of already existing island ground.

Archived