Should Killing Shadow Creatures Split the Sanity Gain?

Yay or Nay.

I was playing in a server with a group of friends and started to wonder if you kill a shadow creature should the group get the split instead of one person just getting the last hit on it? Might be something to consider.

Thanks for reading :) 

2 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

I would certainly like this. I'm always filled with this anxiety that I'll accidentally land the killing blow and the person I'm trying to help loses out on the sanity gain. :oops:

haha same this new person was with us and I accidently hit it and was like oops,,, oops....OOPS LOL and they were at 0 sanity LOL

If the sanity was all shared wouldn't that make it harder to come out of insanity? Wouldn't it make more sense that if a nightmare is killed then the sanity should go to the person with the lowest sanity in proximity?  

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

If the sanity was all shared wouldn't that make it harder to come out of insanity? Wouldn't it make more sense that if a nightmare is killed then the sanity should go to the person with the lowest sanity in proximity?  

This could also lead to issues as in do you give the sanity to the person with the lowest number of sanity points or the lowest percentage on one hand low sanity characters would always benefit first on the other hand high sanity characters have higher thresholds for insanity.

12 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

This could also lead to issues as in do you give the sanity to the person with the lowest number of sanity points or the lowest percentage on one hand low sanity characters would always benefit first on the other hand high sanity characters have higher thresholds for insanity.

It would alway be percentage based because insanity is afflicted by a percentage based on max sanity. 

1 hour ago, Terra B Welch said:

I guess I read the OP wrong then

I got the same thing and came to say exactly what you did, thank you.

I would certainly not like sanity leeches that stand around people fighting shadows just for free sanity, but whoever hit a shadow at least for 30% of its HP, should get a bit of sanity when that specific shadow dies nearby.

Maybe the person with the killing blow could gain the same as it does now, and someone who assisted in the kill will get 50% of the normal killing blow sanity gain. So it ain’t much, but it’s honest work.

Is hard to see your noob friends trying to recover sanity meanwhile they receive damage but you cant help too much because you are stealing the sanity boost

I mean, sure, you can just help a little or help people with multiple shadows but is a little uncomfortable

Would be nice if shadows recover sanity for those who hit them like how we already can receive the sanity boost if you kill it at the same time than other player

I don't think so. Right now if you pay attention you can pick who gets the sanity. You can have one person stay insane and not recover any so that someone else can recover a lot of sanity while you're also farming nmf without needing to lower your sanity again, or you can have the person who's completely insane gather 100% of the sanity so they get out of insanity the fastest.

If it was split among contributors then not only do you lose the freedom to choose who gets the sanity, but you also lose a good portion of the sanity. With just one extra person hitting a crawling horror that would cut the sanity gain down to 7, which the horror drains by just being near you for about 4 seconds. If more than 1 extra person pitches in the sanity gain would be basically nonexistent.

Picking who gets the last hit is not at all realistically doable rn without a health mod.

I have a different idea inspired by Wes’s party balloons. Everybody who helps at all gets an equal amount of sanity. The sanity gained is lower with just 1 person fighting by themself, and increases for everyone involved the more people help out. It makes sense that facing your nightmares with your friends is better than facing them by yourself.

Does that make sense?

5 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

Picking who gets the last hit is not at all realistically doable rn without a health mod

You dont need to wait until the last hit, you can help an insane player with few hits. At the end, when you have killed houndreds of shadows, you know when the shadow is almost ready to die

Or counting like Cheggf said which is an usually used strat in games and more when they are "difficult" games like ds franchise

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

You think counting to ten is unrealistic?

This is a game with multiple types of weapons. These weapons deal different amounts of damage. Different characters have different damage modifiers. With multiple people there are bound to be different weapons and different damage modifiers. Not to mention that there are bound to be multiple shadows at the same time. In the majority of scenarios this is not doable.

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You dont need to wait until the last hit, you can help an insane player with few hits. At the end, when you have killed houndreds of shadows, you know when the shadow is almost ready to die

Sure, that’s true.

1 hour ago, Friendly Grass said:

I have a different idea inspired by Wes’s party balloons. Everybody who helps at all gets an equal amount of sanity. The sanity gained is lower with just 1 person fighting by themself, and increases for everyone involved the more people help out. It makes sense that facing your nightmares with your friends is better than facing them by yourself.

Does that make sense?

6 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

This is a game with multiple types of weapons. These weapons deal different amounts of damage.

And the weapons deal 1, 1.75, and 2 times damage. Very simple, especially if you round 1.75 up to 2.

Different characters have different damage modifiers.

If Wolfgang, double his numbers. If Wigfrid, either properly apply her 25% bonus or just act like they need 2 or 3 hits less than they should.

Not to mention that there are bound to be multiple shadows at the same time.

Are you serious?

In the majority of scenarios this is not doable.

I don't know how to respond to "It is impossible to keep track of two single digit numbers in my head.".

It's a nice idea. 

The reason why I wouldn't want it in the (vanilla) game is that in a group you can also use it to farm nightmare fuel or help others get sanity easily. One can remain insane, spawning shadows, but counting the hits and letting others do the final hit. You don't need to actively loose sanity while others can get quite a lot. I did it on multiple servers, it's pretty fun.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I don't know how to respond to "It is impossible to keep track of two single digit numbers in my head. If I can not do it, you can not do it, it is impossible." without being insulting and breaking forum rules.

We’re obviously thinking about different situations.

3 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

We’re obviously thinking about different situations.

Yeah I'm thinking about fighting 1-4 shadow creatures like you do in the game, and you're thinking about having a team of 16 Wolfgangs who are using ham bats of random durabilities at random hunger levels fighting 80 shadows spawned in with console commands.

2 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

Picking who gets the last hit is not at all realistically doable rn without a health mod.

Does that make sense?

I like it! Sure letting someone make the last hit is doable, but is that a reason not to make it simpler? The few time I played in pubs (like twice lol) I never felt the need to help with someones insanity problem because I never gained anything from it.

Now, when I see people streaming with friends I happen to see a similar issue. Usually an insane player has already been fighting a couple of nightmares off screen and come to a buddy for help. The insane player doesn't communicate how many hits they have given each night mare, what level of freshness there hambat is, etc. No one has time to communicate all of that and/or no one bothers too. No, usually what happens is you help your buddy out, accidently kill his nightmares, and then they repeat the process a few moment later off screen. And they just proceed to ignore their friends and/or laugh at them (unless they're close to death. Sometimes even then. You just hear "oh, I died").

We cant just assume every player out there plays the way we do and count in their heads the way we do. 

it is probably easy to design that one person take the last hit of nightmare, he gain 50% of sanity gain, the rest 50% sanity gain share to any players nearby, it makes totally sense for group of survivors watching nightmare being get rid of their sight.

if you wanna share the reward depend on how much one have helped on the nightmare, could do so, some pvp games have such mechanics existed to solve such problem like Dota, Killing steal, teammate sharing gold/exp. I'm not expert of this part, someone could help to do a research and form better formula for Klei.

Archived