Passing radbolts through walls

I'm trying to figure out a setup to feed the new interplanetary launcher. I like collecting rads underneath my solar panels such that I can use the excess power from them. This has the benefit that I can cool the radbolt generators because they are inside my base (in oxygen). However, I have yet to find an efficient way to send the radbolts out of my base.

I've tried using a radiation detector to open a mechanized airlock but the airlock takes a long time to open, and sending the radbolts on a sufficiently long detour reduces their strength to almost nothing. I don't have viscogel yet. I was wondering what you guys are using to send them through a wall.

Also, does the radbolt energy loss depend on the medium it is flying through? What length can they fly?

You can create 1 tile liquid lock and have the radbolts pass trough it. This is my setup:

Radbolts pass trough liquid lock on top right. Pool of brine and Liquid Tepidizer are there to prevent lock from freezing (due to cooling from  wheezewort).

My radbolt engine rocket is on the right. I should have build my interplanetary launcher to the left but I am to lazy to change it now.

20210404131213_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Jann5s said:

I'm trying to figure out a setup to feed the new interplanetary launcher. I like collecting rads underneath my solar panels such that I can use the excess power from them. This has the benefit that I can cool the radbolt generators because they are inside my base (in oxygen). However, I have yet to find an efficient way to send the radbolts out of my base.

I've tried using a radiation detector to open a mechanized airlock but the airlock takes a long time to open, and sending the radbolts on a sufficiently long detour reduces their strength to almost nothing. I don't have viscogel yet. I was wondering what you guys are using to send them through a wall.

Also, does the radbolt energy loss depend on the medium it is flying through? What length can they fly?

I think the best thing you can do to send them through walls is to use a corner. Heat and gas exchange don't happen diagonally, but radbolts can travel diagonally, so you can do this:
image.thumb.png.b73ce371fc01c507788d781027cdf63d.png

3 hours ago, Jann5s said:

I think it depends purely on distance. 1 tile traveled = 1 radbolt lost. You can reduce that by chaining reflectors; they technically make the bolt move two tiles while only losing one radbolt.

Pulse them. With a bit of efford, you can build a contraption, that shoots the bolts in intervals and a door opens and closes right in the perfect moment to let them pass. If you organize this with an 2 door system and a gas pump inside so its evacuated when not in use, the gas loss is 0. 

The doors open, the bolts fire through, the doors close, the pump will evacuate the gas that escaped back to the base, and the bolt source gets shut down again until the next period of activity. Its a bit tricky to time it right, but not that hard.

57 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Pulse them. With a bit of efford, you can build a contraption, that shoots the bolts in intervals and a door opens and closes right in the perfect moment to let them pass. If you organize this with an 2 door system and a gas pump inside so its evacuated when not in use, the gas loss is 0. 

The doors open, the bolts fire through, the doors close, the pump will evacuate the gas that escaped back to the base, and the bolt source gets shut down again until the next period of activity. Its a bit tricky to time it right, but not that hard.

I would love to see that in action, but it seems like a lot of trouble compared to a liquid lock or shooting through a corner.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I would love to see that in action, but it seems like a lot of trouble compared to a liquid lock or shooting through a corner.

Its really not that hard. I build something like that for my atomic research chamber with a dupe sensor. When the dupe leaves the chamber, the door opens, bolts fire in, door closes, research can proceed. I made it that way, to prevent dupes beeing shot with bolts by accident. Door is always locked when dupe is present.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, ghkbrew said:

Yeah, for some reason it works down-right and down-left, but not up-right and up-left

Funny,

The radbolt generator doesn't shoot through going down-right but the deflector does

29 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

only works when wall is close? as i was not able shoot at longer range

Let's just say that corners are weird...

It seems it can pass through down right/left diagonally if it is directly above but up right/left diagonally if it is one below (I just found out recently)

corners_2.thumb.PNG.711c73e8376318fc24ac6fd74a620bf3.PNG :juggling:

11 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Let's just say that corners are weird...

It seems it can pass through down right/left diagonally if it is directly above but up right/left diagonally if it is one below (I just found out recently)

corners_2.thumb.PNG.711c73e8376318fc24ac6fd74a620bf3.PNG :juggling:

Thx @sakura_sk, that's a very useful find

I'm using beetas, since they can be mass produced, work in vacuum, are "free" and can achieve nice rad densities if you optimize the hive count.

I need to figure out a good way of automatizing beeta removal from generator line of fire, though. Also, transporting them to different planets is a pain, because you need to cool the rocket and using loader/unloader with fittings deletes gas/liquids used.

5 hours ago, Coolthulhu said:

I'm using beetas, since they can be mass produced, work in vacuum, are "free" and can achieve nice rad densities if you optimize the hive count.

I need to figure out a good way of automatizing beeta removal from generator line of fire, though. Also, transporting them to different planets is a pain, because you need to cool the rocket and using loader/unloader with fittings deletes gas/liquids used.

interesting idea; can you share your setup with beetas? you need to feed them with uranium ore constantly or the hive will die?

The problem you mention; what if you put a thin layer of supercoolant and then the beetas should not enter the tile with the thin layer of liquid and you get the radbolts traveling through the tiles?

3 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

interesting idea; can you share your setup with beetas? you need to feed them with uranium ore constantly or the hive will die?

A beeta hive "cage" is just a 2x3 cell with mesh floor and pneumatic door walls and ceiling. Once a hive takes root, it's mostly stable. It will starve to death, but then a beetiny will become the new hive.

Sometimes there are no beetinies to become the hive and you need to transplant a new one. You can either construct a new arrow and then deconstruct it to make room for hive or, if you have extra room, combine more than one cell with open pneumatic doors.

When a beetiny is about to grow up in a room that has no hive, it will try to become a hive, even if it can path to nearest hive. This way you can have a line of hives which keep each other "stable" by starving at different points in time and supplying each other with beetinies.

3 hours ago, KonfigSys said:

The problem you mention; what if you put a thin layer of supercoolant and then the beetas should not enter the tile with the thin layer of liquid and you get the radbolts traveling through the tiles?

They tolerate thin layers, though I didn't test with layered liquids, only the chlorine they tend to have on the floor. I will try layered liquids.

A big disadvantage with beetas is how tiny their rad radius is. 500 rad of stacked beeta in one tile, then just 50 in adjacent one. This is why their rooms have to be as tiny as possible.

Archived