[Game Update] - 454967

I think power use in game is laughably low. I mean we can generate insane amount of power out of thin air and nothing to use it on. :(

How about 10kW power use to augment geysers to double output and 20kW during dormant phase to not go dormant?

Or maybe some insane 25kW regolith quarry! Instead of quarry providing free output like geysers it should have quarry.

What if we had to "tame" geysers with machinery and provide power to run them efficiently or something?

Like you tend to critters you should engineer geysers so they won't go dormant and their output interval increase or something.

Ofc with chance of explosions! :D

Edited by cpy
  • Like 5

I would love to see lasers or some other kind of energy beam to heat stuff up to ridiculous temperature, for SCIENCE! Think HEP... I mean radbolts on steroids, only using large amounts of electricity and able to vaporize anything, especially regolith.

Also with ridiculous amounts of power we could run element transmutation atomic colliders or something.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

14 minutes ago, Pulstar said:

to heat stuff up to ridiculous temperature

Ridiculous temperature. Check! :-D

Spoiler

Radbolt generator doesn't have an overheat temperature (it was build left of the pneumatic door that now is overheating). I may have built a generator out of obsidian.. and then put an ice tempshift plate where that blob of magma melt... :lol: (Although I was busy in another planetoid and missed the explosion.. :cry: )

image.thumb.png.8f2ec19cb960529ff2f9e0a460fcf46a.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

Ridiculous temperature. Check! :-D

Hide contents

Radbolt generator doesn't have an overheat temperature (it was build left of the pneumatic door that now is overheating). I may have built a generator out of obsidian.. and then put an ice tempshift plate where that blob of magma melt... :lol: (Although I was busy in another planetoid and missed the explosion.. :cry: )

image.thumb.png.8f2ec19cb960529ff2f9e0a460fcf46a.png

Maybe it should inherit the building material melting point.

17 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

I think the ice tempshift plate dropped that temperature a little :P (I assume the generator melted to magma and turned to rock gas because there are some teleported chunks of igneous rock in front the gas reservoir, and that also melted the ice to steam. Maybe I will run again a previous autosave to just see the spectacle :lol: )

2 hours ago, Pulstar said:

I would love to see lasers or some other kind of energy beam to heat stuff up to ridiculous temperature, for SCIENCE! Think HEP... I mean radbolts on steroids, only using large amounts of electricity and able to vaporize anything, especially regolith.

Also with ridiculous amounts of power we could run element transmutation atomic colliders or something.

Huge 10kW lasers to shoot down nearby asteroids for free regolith you say? Just direct impact location, build bunker tiles there and let the mayhem begin again!

Edited by cpy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, cpy said:

I think power use in game is laughably low. I mean we can generate insane amount of power out of thin air and nothing to use it on. :(

How about 10kW power use to augment geysers to double output and 20kW during dormant phase to not go dormant?

Or maybe some insane 25kW regolith quarry! Instead of quarry providing free output like geysers it should have quarry.

What if we had to "tame" geysers with machinery and provide power to run them efficiently or something?

Like you tend to critters you should engineer geysers so they won't go dormant and their output interval increase or something.

Ofc with chance of explosions! :D

I agree with this.

We currently have too much power production options and nothing to spend that power on.

I think the geyser idea would make them a little OP, but i like the regolith idea. Maybe a machine to enhance the gravitational pull of the asteroids, increasing meteor showers, hogging a constant 10 or 25k, with regolith ( or any other asteroid composition ) being very important for resources lategame?

Or a machile that holds a portal to another asteroid while power is connected.

Or a "magma making machine" that requires an insane amount of power to heat up rocks to magma.

I don't know, but we could have some stuff to waste energy on.

• Big Ups 1

6 hours ago, Pulstar said:

+13 Lasers :love-struck:

image.png.1c22bd274ad80554f95601d3f55743b9.png  Lasers & Regolith in the game would be awesome :biggrin-new:

image.png.8bb29cad44b401f2ea946c1d718f3426.png  Stinky vs Aliens, with rad bolt powered lasers...on ladders :confused::confused::confused:

:cheerful: Awaiting update, awaiting update :cheerful:

22 hours ago, babba said:

flower.gifimage.png.140c83f34481c1fd3ba0a16a2a6f89ee.pngrad.gifc080b1ef2b89086d-emoji-smiley-gif-emoji-smiley-shocked-discover-share-gifs.gif

Edited by babba
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, marioespinho said:

We currently have too much power production options and nothing to spend that power on.

If you have too much power, then you've built too many power generators.  It's no different than cots; if you've got too many empty cots in your colony, then the problem isn't a lack of dupes to sleep in them, it's that you've built things you don't need.  You don't have to build a bunch of generators you don't need just because you can.  You can pick and choose the ones you want to use, or the ones your geysers suggest would be most efficient.

6 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

Yup! It did... 

I knew it would be spectacular and I was lucky the autosave still existed :-D

Spoiler

Just before melting
1877833368_radbolt144beforemeltdownclose.thumb.png.235b25880423daae028c402147f5fc4f.png

Kaboom!
2069088504_radbolt144beforemeltdownrockgas.thumb.png.9347bff23690e705afadc62a22e0d083.png

... and magma rain :drunk:
1343124847_radbolt144rockgas_.png.de632ff6c8a4f85a0dc4e69989e6f121.png

Lesson learned: Rock gas is not a niobium volcano exclusive :eagerness:

• Like 1
  • Health 1

1 hour ago, goboking said:

If you have too much power, then you've built too many power generators.  It's no different than cots; if you've got too many empty cots in your colony, then the problem isn't a lack of dupes to sleep in them, it's that you've built things you don't need.  You don't have to build a bunch of generators you don't need just because you can.  You can pick and choose the ones you want to use, or the ones your geysers suggest would be most efficient.

Quit that BS, once you build sour gas boiler, even one can produce so much power it's insane. Also even one simple oil cooker makes insane amount of water positive power.

I'm making 10kg/s petroleum, might as well use it. Or god forbid 10kg/s natural gas.

Edited by cpy

You are not totally wrong, but unless we are building only one of each power options, we will end up having way too much power for what we actually need most of the times.

Sure we can just build less power supply and that would solve the issue, but i feel like there could be a power hungry option to dump all the extra power we can make, specially lategame. The way that it is now, there is little to no point in building endgame stuff like petro boilers or even petro cookers for any other reason than just being able to.

12 minutes ago, cpy said:

Quit that BS

Excuse me?

13 minutes ago, cpy said:

once you build sour gas boiler

IfIf you build a sour gas boiler.  You're viewing power generation through the lens of veteran player who's looking to min-max.  I'll bet dollars to donuts veterans who build sour gas boilers make up a minority of the player base, and it would be folly for Klei to tune power consumption to challenge the generation capacity of such players.

19 minutes ago, goboking said:

IfIf you build a sour gas boiler.  You're viewing power generation through the lens of veteran player who's looking to min-max.

Yeah, and the game should reward you for this kind of optimal plays. But what's the point of trying to do this when there is nothing to spend power on? Or why should we bother to go nuclear?

Sure, some bases don't need much power. I like early game most and I prefer low-power builds. But this doesn't mean that there shouldn't exist some good reason to have good power production.

• Like 1

imho, water consumption becomes a thing on the swampy start, especially if you want to farm sleeth wheat (I always go trough my intial water supply pretty fast once I start on the oil biomes on the second planet. and I want that oil for plastic so I can finally actually build a cooling loop in stead of just utilizing the salt and poluted water geysers etc as cold suppliers) At that point i put a power shutoff between my solar panels and the main net bc not only do I need the hydrogen make thingys for some spare oxygen (because the polluted dirt eventually gets turned into dirt by my composters and I foget to keep an eye on the supply, even if i farm pacos) and i need more water for that, but half of my water gets funneled into the oil biome, so i also start up some nat gas generators to get more polluted water etc.

Stuff isnt really balanced yet.

24 minutes ago, pether said:

Yeah, and the game should reward you for this kind of optimal plays. But what's the point of trying to do this when there is nothing to spend power on? Or why should we bother to go nuclear?

Sure, some bases don't need much power. I like early game most and I prefer low-power builds. But this doesn't mean that there shouldn't exist some good reason to have good power production.

Yes - now we need more power users - all what we have not need NR, we can generate more that needed using old generators. And for NR - we need new ST, if we have only old ST - more simple way to use magma.......

New power must:

1) use new energy source (Uranium)

2) Generate much more power for basic unit setup (10-25MW?)

3) have specific challenges - extreme cooling, or extrime hight temp heat transfr medium (lead?), radiation potection , process controll with automation to prewent melt / explosion,  or something else (or all) to add fun/complexity

Edited by Zakery

42 minutes ago, pether said:

There's a point where the tangible rewards for optimal play start diminishing and they'll eventually hit the point where the only rewards left are the satisfaction in a job well done. 

Take food, for example.  Once I've got a sustainable source of water and even a crude handle of combating extreme temperatures, I can feed my dupes forever.  If I cook raw bristle berries into gristle berries, I'm gaining calories and morale.  If I throw in a few pincha peppers and make stuffed berries, I'm gaining yet more calories and morale.  The reward for each step in progression is more calories and morale.  I don't need to go all out for frost burgers, but there's a sense of satisfaction in building climate controlled farms for sleet wheat and automating a hatch ranch so that my dupes can enjoy the highest quality food in the game.

And so it is with power, or bathrooms, or anything else in the game.  We go from buildings necessities to optimizing them, then we finally reach a point where we're building personal projects for the fun or challenge of doing so.

• Like 1

Excuse me?

IfIf you build a sour gas boiler.  You're viewing power generation through the lens of veteran player who's looking to min-max.  I'll bet dollars to donuts veterans who build sour gas boilers make up a minority of the player base, and it would be folly for Klei to tune power consumption to challenge the generation capacity of such players.

We don't need to get into sour gas boilers or even into power that requires limited resources. The solar power production alone is pretty much enough for most of the power needs.