Beefalo taming & rushing discussion thread

I've had a lot of fun beefalo rushing too. My typical rush is to get all the materials I need by day 5 and start taming by then as well (materials I tend to get are: 2-3 lanterns, saddle, alch engine, piggyback). I make sure to gather butterfly wings throughout this time and generally finish a glossamer saddle by day 11. 

Ornery has been my favorite tendency since it has that perfect blend of the combat advantage of a beefalo combined with speed. Shadow pieces on a beefalo is a ton of fun, but I've yet to see anyone try fuelweaver on a beefalo. I'm not sure if it's possible but I'd love to see it done. 

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Really I just slap a saddle on 'em and go ham. Usually I try to do it early so I can get a bunch of the taming done while still doing the early-game exploration

This, people heavily underestimate the utility of the Early Tame Beefalo- get that saddle on it as soon as possible & just ride it everywhere & NOW with the YoTB update that lets you pick resources without ever dismounting it’s easier than Ever..

Your Saddled Beefalo will buck you off periodically but simply feed it a few more grass or sticks (of which you should be collecting while riding) and it’ll let you ride for longer duration- you don’t really need any of that other Beefalo taming stuff..

(in fact since that other Beefalo taming stuff is tied exclusively to fighting a hunt mob that may or may not appear & has abilities that makes fighting it as a solo player a pain in the you know what.. I would rather just avoid any and all Encounters with the Ewecus)

But the good news is: If Beefalo Cowbell is here to stay forever- you don’t even need the Ewecus loot to tame your beef’s- Sure admit-ably it might speed up the taming process: But lets be realistic- You only speed up its taming to RIDE it... and you can eliminate that process altogether by just passively feeding it sticks as it lets you ride/follows you everywhere.

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(in fact since that other Beefalo taming stuff is tied exclusively to fighting a hunt mob that may or may not appear & has abilities that makes fighting it as a solo player a pain in the you know what.. I would rather just avoid any and all Encounters with the Ewecus)

Fortunately, the ewecus doesn’t spit at players on a beefalo! It seems like a bug, but I think it’s intentional considering beefalo tamers are the only ones who want to hunt ewecus.

It will still try to “kite” you in a really annoying way. It shouldn’t be a problem at all with an ornery beefalo or if you’re Wendy. But if your beef gets low, you can always leave and come back later.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This, people heavily underestimate the utility of the Early Tame Beefalo- get that saddle on it as soon as possible & just ride it everywhere & NOW with the YoTB update that lets you pick resources without ever dismounting it’s easier than Ever..

Your Saddled Beefalo will buck you off periodically but simply feed it a few more grass or sticks (of which you should be collecting while riding) and it’ll let you ride for longer duration- you don’t really need any of that other Beefalo taming stuff..

But the good news is: If Beefalo Cowbell is here to stay forever- you don’t even need the Ewecus loot to tame your beef’s- Sure admit-ably it might speed up the taming process: But lets be realistic- You only speed up its taming to RIDE it... and you can eliminate that process altogether by just passively feeding it sticks as it lets you ride/follows you everywhere.

Be friend pigs/merms to kill ewecus

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Raising a Beefalo20210206164312_1.thumb.jpg.b5c83066a110ce33073329097fa3117b.jpg

With Wes

Early on

Can never go wrong

Give him a balloon saddle

Alongside other Balloon crafts

On a Balloonomacy tab

Accessible by putting down the 

Pile of Balloons

Like the Codex Umbra

On his rework

Please, Klei <3

If the beef are so furry, then would the Balloon saddle let them do electric damage?

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

how do you all deal with the 3 or 4 days downtime of the early Winter, when the beefalo goes in heat? Is a beefalo hat always mandatory to have?

12 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

how do you all deal with the 3 or 4 days downtime of the early Winter, when the beefalo goes in heat? Is a beefalo hat always mandatory to have?

If you bond with the beefalo before winter, it doesn’t go into heat. (This mechanic is a little buggy but it should be fine.) Otherwise a beefalo hat is mandatory.

50 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Default + War Saddle is my go-to. 

Zero downside and you still retain the 50 damage threshold.

To get default, do you partially tame it via feeding for pudgy tendency and just do some fighting?

2 hours ago, Friendly Grass said:

To get default, do you partially tame it via feeding for pudgy tendency and just do some fighting?

The way to tame a default is you basically do whatever you want up until it's at 90% domestication. Then you train it the opposite of the method you first used to cancel the tendency. If it's semi-pudgy or semi-ornery then you just ride a while until the tendency goes away. If it's semi-rider then you just attack a wall or a lureplant or something until the tendency is countered. The shifts between tendencies always goes through default first, so you have to nail that exact moment before the domestication. Also yeah you kind of need a domestication info mod to see the %.

If no mod, you just have to constantly bring it down back to default and pray. 

also for the record I haven't really played DST since the YOTB, I hear there's many new bugs with domestication now. It's probably a mess.

7 minutes ago, Well-met said:

for the record I haven't really played DST since the YOTB, I hear there's many new bugs with domestication now. It's probably a mess.

it’s not it’s real easy, at least on Xbox it’s real easy- and I’ve only encountered very few bugs 

Even the one I hear A lot of people complaining about “Beefalo running away from you when Bell Bonded so when you try to feed it your character goes into an infinite sliding animation until it gets to & feeds it” it seems to be fine for me on Xbox all you got to do is bump the joystick and your character cancels the feeding attempt.

This “Sliding Away thing” is Nothing new on Xbox either: It still happens with Woby, Abigail & while trying to give another player something but they won’t stop moving: I’ve used this to my advantage several times to Follow another player Auto-Matically & let my thumbs rest from pressing the Analog sticks.

Is it lazy? Yes.. but does it work? Also yes (until they stop moving & receive the thing)

Now what is 100% impossible for a console player to know and understand without a Wiki guide is the Domestication process- We don’t have mods to tell us how close to tame the Beefalo is and we sure as heck don’t know that there’s different Traits you can assign a Beefalo by taming it in different Ways.

I do not know if PlayStation version can cancel out the “sliding away” but I know on Xbox simply bumping the analog stick does the trick.

As far as “Other” bugs goes I’ve only had the one where my Beefalo duplicates itself- so now I’ve got two tamed identical beef’s: I believe this was patched with the latest (non-Beta build) update though.

Beefalo duping was a huge mess for a while but it seems to have been fixed. The main issue I have (which I recently bug reported) is the bonded beef having woby mechanics of running a bit away from the player after unmounting before coming back. This is more of an annoyance. I haven’t had an issue with “sliding”.

And yeah I personally don’t like using the “show me” mod but without it I haven’t had much trouble. Probably end up feeding it extra twigs when obedience is already above 90% but I don’t mind.

My favorite tips for early Beefalo Taming, that i used during my first domesticated beefalo rush are:

1. DF Desert is best biome for Beef Tamer, its provide you infinity hounds to fight and tumbleweeds, that will provide you with enough sticks and grass for few days if you collect them for half a day or so. As bonus: trinkets that you can exchange for gold in PK village (btw remember to slain all pigs in village for additional pig skin for saddles/helmets) and gears
  2. Set up pen for beefalo if you already considered where you base will be, a bunch of fences + walls will do the trick, after that just put inside salt lick and grass for early game time, since you probably don;t have time for making proper grass gecko pen/farm. Its extremely useful since you sometimes need to leave beefalo for some tasks (example: farming, building, etc.)
  3. Easiest way to obtain every beefalo is: for normal just balance everything, for pudgy: set up before beefalo taming a proper farm and start farming giant potatoes while beef is in pen, it will provide enought food for both you and the beefalo. Rider tendency is easiest - just think that you are a Mongolian Rider that looks for his destiny... and explore whole map in 5 days, after that just use beefalo more often than your wimpy legs. Ornery one is a bit of a trick: once in a while battle spiders for silk that you need before winter and farm hounds for meat/tooth. Its really easy.

3 hours ago, Rylanor said:

DF Desert is best season for Beef Tamer, its provide you infinity hounds to fight and tumbleweeds, that will provide you with enought sticks and grass for few days if you collect them for half a day or so. As bonus: trinkets that you can exchange for gold in PK village (btw remember to slain all pigs in village for additional pig skin for saddles/helmets) and gears

Tumbleweeds are really great on a beefalo!

Archived