How old is Wurt?

Maybe the devs will tell us. Perhaps if Billiam was mermified, he'd look like Wurt but in a male way... I wonder if there's gender characteristics between merms?

Is there a life cycle for Merms, pigs, and bunnies?

586d7dde9e194_hunchbeastlifecycle.thumb.png.d39f292baf2a92214513bb371e44f345.png

My drawing kind of got piglets right but Wurt turned out different.

Just now, __IvoCZE__ said:

She's less than 15, for sure.

I'd say the say age as Wilba and Wendy for all we know.588497c65ec72_arielconfusedshrug.png.7e28189e6a68c2fc214fa6e2c0815879.png

Also kind of interesting Wurt is a child soldier, it must mean that merms don't think much of the safety of their next generation.

4 minutes ago, Fridgetty said:

maybe around 5-8 years old? I've always assumed that she's young, probably younger than wendy

It's kind of a cute dynamic Wurt and Wickerbottom have. Hope they do a short with Wickerbottom trying to teach her English.

2 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Wendy is definitive 11, as Joe said.

Actually joe narrowed to 8-10 range for Wendy.

Since we have no idea how the merm growth cycle is, Wurt could be any age really, like 1-2 years old if they develop really fast like some amphibians, to 50-80 years old if they develop really slow like Yoda species. Or it could be like minespatch suggested that she’s just a kid from another species that was mermified.

From a cognitive point of view, the fact that she is shorter than the other merms and her quotes, I’d guess she is about Wendy’s age, or a bit younger. Her undeveloped speech could just be because the merms speak a different language and she may be the first of her kind to try to speak a human language. So she’s no different than a human 8 year old that was just brought to a different country with a different language than her native one.

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Kind of offtopic, but am I the only one who thinks that the amount of kids in this game is odd?

Especially in a game where they can get just straight murdered by giants.

I mean, the Pipspooks (and Webber) show that some kids had DIED in the Constant.

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Actually joe narrowed to 8-10 range for Wendy.

Since we have no idea how the merm growth cycle is, Wurt could be any age really, like 1-2 years old if they develop really fast like some amphibians, to 50-80 years old if they develop really slow like Yoda species. Or it could be like minespatch suggested that she’s just a kid from another species that was mermified.

From a cognitive point of view, the fact that she is shorter than the other merms and her quotes, I’d guess she is about Wendy’s age, or a bit younger. Her undeveloped speech could just be because the merms speak a different language and she may be the first of her kind to try to speak a human language. So she’s no different than a human 8 year old that was just brought to a different country with a different language than her native one.

Similar to how dog years are right? Ya' know. 1 Human Year is 7 Dog Years. It could possibly be like that. Even though the Dog is 18 years old, they are a kid. (2-3 years) Interesting isn't it?

Who knows? Only Joe!

Sincerely,

Cactus

Yeah, I think Wurt would be the youngest of the survivors at the moment.

Also, I have to wonder, upon failing the Gorge, all survivors become mermified, but both the male and female survivors end up looking like the same Merm, so either the Gorge's depiction of Merms is kind of outdated or Wurt is a rare kind of Merm?

Like what gave her the blue-ish tint? Is it from being a young merm, a female merm, or a young merm guard? :eek-new:

22 minutes ago, ShakerGER said:

Everyone saying something less than 8 should consider that she has a very solid and fast grasp of reading! Probably of not even HER NATIVE LANGUAGE! In my opinion that outrules the ver low estimates.

Actually unless I'm remembering wrong but I believe it's supposed to be easier to learn new languages when you start younger.

You shouldn’t equate the ages of humans to non humans.

A 1 year old cat is equivalent to a 13 year old human, and an 18 year old cat is equivalent to 70. Meanwhile the Greenland shark doesn’t start puberty until around 150, and can live a few more centuries after.

With what we know about merms, saying she’s 9 years old should have equally hollow meaning as being 90.

13 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

You shouldn’t equate the ages of humans to non humans.

With what we know about merms, saying she’s 9 years old should have equally hollow meaning as being 90.

The thing is that her Compendium description says she is friends with the survivors her own age, the way she speaks and personality is childlike, which is pointed by other survivors quotes, so we can asume Merm age is similar to human age.

4 hours ago, Lumberlocke said:

Also, I have to wonder, upon failing the Gorge, all survivors become mermified, but both the male and female survivors end up looking like the same Merm, so either the Gorge's depiction of Merms is kind of outdated or Wurt is a rare kind of Merm?

5c3bf42c43520_Wilsonfailedthegnawsneed.thumb.png.36ca597ac2c6a9d8169f8ec7e9e734f9.png

Here's my take on merm Wendy at the time. I'd probably make her look closer to Wurt's anatomy if I knew.

Actually this is a bit interesting, time flows significantly different in the constant, which means would it even be possible to give Wurt an "age"? Since she never spent any time outside of the constant.

In other words, if the survivors stay the same age that they are no matter how long they're within the constant, then can a constant-born creature possess an age greater than 0? Since their entire life has been within a dimension with significantly different rules for the passage of time than what we are used to.

Also there's the possibility that Wurt suddenly popped into existence (in her current form) instead of being "born". She is a merm afterall, and merms basically can appear out of thin air within a house with fish in it (I know this may be game logic, but it's still pretty interesting to think about).

11 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

Also there's the possibility that Wurt suddenly popped into existence (in her current form) instead of being "born". She is a merm afterall, and merms basically can appear out of thin air within a house with fish in it (I know this may be game logic, but it's still pretty interesting to think about

A merm with agency. Makes me wonder how the goats have their society(same with the town of Swinesbury).

7 hours ago, Starlogy said:

Kind of offtopic, but am I the only one who thinks that the amount of kids in this game is odd?

Especially in a game where they can get just straight murdered by giants.

It's interesting, but not odd, I've noticed that in many adventure movies where the theme is exploring a cave or ancient ruins, they always have kids to that, because adults already know what that structure is, when it's made and what it is made of, plus have a knowledge of every single Sci-fi scenario and history bit; But kids are supposed to have better imagination, and at DST we have comic theme, a lot of colors, even enemies are humored and I think the dying animations are not that serious.

8 minutes ago, Owlrus said:

I'm scared to answer this question.

I know, but I was getting my print queue ready with "Vincent price in the Quagmire(Roger Corman Haunted Palace)" and they had a little girl suffering a blindness eldritch curse of the townstead. Hence my thoughts thinking of Wurt.

Archived