[Game Update] - 454107

• Developer

Hey everyone!

Quite a few changes and fixes made it into today's update. Thanks as always for your feedback as we bring together all the different parts of this system!

Changes

• More radiation sources now use the correct shielding calculations
  • Buildings with HEP storage will no longer consume particles above their capacity, instead re-emitting any remaining payload back out as a HEP
  • Added "Orbital Microlab" building and Space research points back into the tech tree
  • Updated Duplicant Radiation Sickness idle animations
  • Some light tech rearrangement and link changes for Monuments (new), Hydrocarbon Propulsion, and Radiation Refinement
  • Minor art changes to HEP
  • Revision to Research Reactor meltdown animations
  • HEP Impact damages Duplicants but no longer necessarily incapacitates them. The HEP payload is transferred to struck Duplicant in the form of Radioactive Contaminant germs
  • Research Reactor can now operate on any kind of liquid water (clean, polluted, brine, etc.) Other liquids are dumped. Any solid contaminants extracted during boiling are dropped in front of the reactor
  • Updated Research Reactor radiation emission profile
  • Added Duplicant cringe reactions to significant radiation exposure
  • Updated Radioactive Comet art
  • Enabled Beetafineries

Fixes

• Radioactive Contaminant germs decay at the same rate regardless of germ count or medium
  • Rocket interiors are now exposed to Cosmic Radiation
  • Fixed HEP animations playback issue
  • Fixed bug in flying critter death animation sound playback
  • Fixed possible crash on HEP wall collision
  • Fixed missing drag tool width/height/area labels
  • Fixed Printing Pod crash when trying to generate a Duplicant with an invalid trait combination
  • Improved worldgen rules for generating the core of the Water Asteroid to fix some worldgen failures.
  • Replaced some placeholder strings
  • Fixed long "Colony lacks skill" string
  • Added missing strings for new Gravitas plant prop and Atomic Collider status tooltip
  • [Mods] Research point constants were renamed in code for clarity

View full update

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 4

2 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

instead re-emitting any remaining payload back out as a HEP

Yay! More HEP hazard sources to be tested :lol: ....

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

HEP Impact damages Duplicants but no longer necessarily incapacitates them.

.. but maybe less dangerous?

And :bee:Betas~ :love-struck:

And... wha..? :-o :o

10 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Rocket interiors are now exposed to Cosmic Radiation

24 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Added "Orbital Microlab" building and Space research points back into the tech tree

I cannot build Microlab (using sandbox and debug modes)

Also, now we have 2 buildings that do the same - Microlab and Virtual Planetarium from vanilla. I believe one should go (or be different in some way)

I like that we have more reseach colors, makes research tree more fun. Wouldn't mind 5th or 6th color tbh :) Maybe you can make Microlab and Planetarium as two different tech branches and keep both of them? The more the better :)

2 minutes ago, noaIV said:

so now to use rockets they need to be lead plated or kill your nitwits well that rather stupid

Or take some pills. 

Is space radiation deadly anyway? It was on day 1 of radioactive introduction, but now?

1 minute ago, NewWorldDan said:

Rats, medical packs are still missing from the apothecary.

For 1 second I thought rats are now in the game :rolleyes: - Rats or mice would be a great addition. It could be cute colony mice or dafty space rats ( traders ).

image.png.28a2459455e1bfc6da49e8f1dff80ba5.png

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

9 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

9 rads/cycle? Why do people still think that the existence of any radiation is a problem? It's not the previous build anymore.

Yeah, it's not a problem anymore now, but maybe some hardcore players need to prepare, finding a solution before highest difficulty level of radiation out.

Interstellar Research can be conducted at the Virtual Planetarium, but is currently required to unlock the Virtual Planetarium? I suppose the intent is to require use of the Orbital Microlab to unlock it?

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

using debug tools, it seems i have to have seen/encountered enriched uranium before harvesting from a beetafinery even though it has enriched uranium in it

4 minutes ago, jzrum said:

Interstellar Research can be conducted at the Virtual Planetarium, but is currently required to unlock the Virtual Planetarium? I suppose the intent is to require use of the Orbital Microlab to unlock it?

they added a new building with temp art for it, not sure why we have 2 research stations for the same thing though.  it's weird it requires being inside a rocket (and in space) as well as 5kg plastic per research point

image.png.e2ad83a72f15c3f83fd72b731fb379a9.png

my game kept crashing until i disabled all my mods

but currently, beetafineries don't seem to have a way to be tamed and get a 75% metabolism debuff.  the centrifuge produces depleted uranium, will this get a use?  possibly being fed to the beetas instead of the ore?  nuclear waste seems really buggy too sadly, i was hoping it could be used like a weaker super coolant for a high shc

after having my dupes mess with beetafineries/beetas and a research reactor, they barely had any rads after a  and it completely went away soon after leaving the area.  them removing 100/cycle seems a bit strong or the radiation emitting stuff seems weak, unless i have the bedroom near/next to a research reactor, i might not need basic rad pills at this rate

the radioactive contaminants die off so fast they're never a problem, so much so idk how to really test the germs

the decontamination shower seems off, the dupes seem to take repeated showers despite no germs on them

Edited by zach123b

Having twice as many research types now is currently the 800lb gorilla in the room. Someone should share a screenshot the research points of the pinnacle of duplicant research so we can all have a laugh at the vanity issue gravitas has created for us, lol.

There are clearly some discussions brewing on this quadrature of research types and what's gating them.

I haven't quite built my shrine to a Wheezewort radiation collector setup, but soon!

-

Is it too much to ask to be able to wrangle a flopping fish only when it's flopping? Save the Pacu!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

Is it too much to ask to be able to wrangle a flopping fish only when it's flopping? Save the Pacu!

They just need to be "guided" to a preferred pool. :-D (Meaning deconstructing/building any tile to their way to the water source). Once, I built over the main ladder in order to lead fishes in my storage pond (...and then I forgot about that and dupes didn't have access to the toilet.. :nightmare: )