[Game Update] - 450552

• Developer

Hello friends!

The Re-Rocketry update went out just one week ago, and now we're back to updating the testing branch! As a reminder, anyone who owns the Spaced Out! DLC can join this branch to check out new content as we're developing it and give feedback even earlier in the process.

There are a few new things coming to testing right away, but the main feature you'll see is liquid, gas and solid fittings which will allow rocket interiors to connect to the storage on that rocket, as well as connect to the new battery module! This provides new options for loading and managing your crew's resources, and allows rocket interiors to become part of your overall logistics network. Please check them out and let us know how they're working for you.

There are also a handful of bugfixes and updated art and sounds that we've done in the last week, detailed in the full patch notes.

More changes will be coming soon as we're continually updating the testing branch, so keep an eye out. As always, thank you so much for your bug reports and feedback!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this update, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

Features And Changes

• Added new Rocket Interior Fittings:
    • Power Outlet Fitting
    • Liquid Intake/Output Fittings
    • Gas Intake/Output Fittings
    • Conveyor Receptacle/Loader Fittings
  • Added a new Battery Module to rockets which stores excess power generated by a rocket engine or ground facilities. Provides stored power to Interior Rocket Outlets
  • Rocket engines now generate some power while in flight
  • Hooked up new Duplicant animation in the main menu
  • Hooked up incremental loading animations for the Orbital Cargo Module
  • Hooked up new animations for the Interplanetary Payload

Audio

• Added new sounds to main menu
  • Added sound for Trailblazer Module and Scout Lander
  • Added ambient loop to the main menu

Fixes

• Potential workaround for users crashing before the Klei logo. Try adding “-force-glcore” to the Launch Options in Steam (right click Oxygen Not Included -> Properties)
  • Fixed a temperature related crash which primarily happened on the frozen world with iron volcanoes
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes a geyser's output would transition the wrong element, which made it appear as if a different element was being emitted
  • Fix for issue preventing some colony diagnostic alert settings from save/loading correctly
  • The new version of the Large Liquid Tank had an incorrect ID, which may have caused save/load issues. If you have a Large Liquid Tank in your save, you may need to deconstruct it and rebuild it
  • The "Cargo not loaded" launch condition was showing a blank message
  • Removed assert “tried to burn more oxidizer than was available” that is no longer valid

Graphics

• Repositioned side view of Oxygen Mask
  • In progress: New effects added rocket modules to indicate when a rocket is ready to launch
  • Visual updates to rocket engines that were ported over from the base game
  • Finalized artwork for Orbital Cargo Module
  • Added a Duplicant to the Spaced Out main menu

Mods

• Worldgen: We restructured the StreamingAssets folder separating the base and Spaced Out files
  • Worldgen: We are phasing out the pointsOfInterest list in favour of using subworldTemplateRules

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• You must own the Spaced Out! DLC
  • In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6
  • Big Ups 3
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Oh nice! Now rockets actually makes a bit more sense! We don't need to put hamster wheels in rockets for some reason and we can simply vent out excess carbon dioxide instead of figuring a way to delete them.

Also now we can very easily abuse the system and use the nosecone as unlimited storage for any material and have a good way to automate it. I'm sure it will be fine.

• Like 3

I love how new fittings take everything from cargo modules. This make them more useful than before! And seems a nice requirement to balance thigns out

And yay, they can be automated!

31 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

Also now we can very easily abuse the system and use the nosecone as unlimited storage for any material and have a good way to automate it. I'm sure it will be fine.

TBH we had it before. OK, now it is even easier, but it is not like the issue appeared with this patch. And I think it would be easy to fix when calculating rocket mass - we can just add mass of every content of nosecones.

• Like 1

The way I see it you can now have a gas tank on the rocket and filter oxygen into the crew module while also pumping CO2 back into the tank. And a small tank can hold 360 kg

You can't use all these features with the smallest rockets though. This may finally make the sugar engine worth considering as it can carry 5 modules instead of 3. So you can do gas tank + battery + large crew module + nose cone

Edited by Steve8

9 minutes ago, pether said:

TBH we had it before. OK, now it is even easier, but it is not like the issue appeared with this patch. And I think it would be easy to fix when calculating rocket mass - we can just add mass of every content of nosecones.

Before you have to manually undock, which takes a lot of time, and it becomes a problem if you desperately need your rocket. Now, you don't even need to manually undock, as you can just use an autosweeper to sweep everything into the storage, then use the storage port to undock.

Granted, you still need to manually load your rocket if you want to carry multiple things, as the intake filters only one item.

Edited by RageLeague

A good step in the right direction.

But why is it not possible without a module to fill or discharge gases directly from the Gas Rocket Port? So the maintenance of the rocket by filling with oxygen and emptying other gases remains unnecessarily cumbersome.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Another helpful feature would be if you could open the Spacefarer for some time so that the gases escape.
If you could automate that by closing it again after a while and then letting the oxygen flow in through the gas rocket port, that would be really helpful for automation.

Edited by ToBit
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

There are a few new things coming to testing right away, but the main feature you'll see is liquid, gas and solid fittings which will allow rocket interiors to connect to the storage on that rocket, as well as connect to the new battery module!

This is a great change in a right direction! Thank you for the updates!

Managing carbon dioxide and temperature inside the rockets used to be unnecessarily grindy. I think this will make it much more enjoyable.  

However, it was a fun challenge while it lasted:

image.png.01cbc7e0fb5d4858e276ae255d2a2272.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Steve8 said:

Ok, dumb question. The gas rocket port claims that there is a gas filter on the rocket platform, but I can't find it. Is this not implemented yet?

You have to build them, there are 3 rocket platform additions that can be built to either side, one for solids, one for gasses, one for liquids. The solid one is under shipping, gas and liquid ones are under respective tabs. They have the in and out ports for the rocket on the platform.

Oh, sorry mind was in the previous comment about the hookups. I looked for a filter of some kind and didn't find any way to do that just yet. Presumed it was a WIP still.

Edited by Niil945

Yeah, what I expected was two filters. One for input and one for ouput. So I can pump in oxygen (this works) while at the same time removing only CO2 (which doesn't work). I don't quite understand why this is supposed to be on the rocket platform. Makes more sense to be to have it on the port itself

Edited by Steve8

Alright, so all my generators and solar panels are acting like they aren't grid connected - plus sporadic grid behaviour - The red icon says no consumers are on the line despite me having transformers, etc.

..On second thought, adding a random consumer to the supply side solved the problem of red icons. Apparently the grid doesn't see the transformers as consumers for whatever reason.

Edited by The Plum Gate
  • Like 1

@Steve8 Yep I know what you mean. I just now updated to the latest public test branch, prior I wasn't on the test. The external ports even before this update indicated a filter would be on the rocket platform. I don't know if this is something they still intend to eventually implement or if they intend to go a different direction. It looks like from my tinkering that the in-module intake and outtake fittings retrieve and send stuff to storage. The output fitting has a built in filter, the intake does not so will require us to filter in some capacity before sending back to storage or to export out of the rocket. Or we can just send everything in and only filter the output back into the cabin. The battery module has an exterior power connection to feed the rocket while on a platform and initially charge the battery from the base up to 100kj. It's indicated power is generated in flight so that will keep things going, haven't tested yet to see how much. The external ports have no built in filtering, so removing or taking specific things in and out of a rocket are unintuitive. It seems to work on a system where everything is unloaded first until it is completely empty then it's loaded until full or the input line stops feeding material For now at least we're going to have to built external filter systems and then feed stuff we want in the rocket back in. There are also some quirks, like I built a gas input and it simply wouldn't feed into the rocket. I had the gas storage close to the top. When I decided to rebuild the entire platform at a different location to have more room I removed a module and all of a sudden it started loading.

As a good side note, oxylite is now loading fine. No need to build an inconvenient autosweeper system to get oxylite into the oxidizer storage.

3 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

@vonVile, there's a blurb here you might want to look at. It's the first oni command line switch I have seen.

What am I suppose to be looking for? I picked the Test Branch and verified the files and still nothing.

I still haven't had a chance to change Avast's settings.

Edited by vonVile

It would be very nice to have more space age interior items, but I must say the simple bed looks very cute in space...

Some more space age design furniture, buildings, items and space sounds would be welcome :p

Animated moving stars, a kind of "Space Aurora" in the background...That`l be great. Carry on Wayward Son !

Shuttle in 2022 + Telescope arm deployments + Buildable Spacestation = :cheerful:

image.thumb.png.abf87655838152fae455b3ae3af3f590.pngimage.png.38c1963f8d2690ef5ef59e6becdfe570.png

Kansas - Dust in the wind

image.thumb.png.a72b5d53aacfe4782243b279cf18308f.pngimage.thumb.png.387c155c900d15aed238c294488edf5c.png

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, vonVile said:

What am I suppose to be looking for? I picked the Test Branch and verified the files and still nothing.

I still haven't had a chance to change Avast's settings.

This

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Potential workaround for users crashing before the Klei logo. Try adding “-force-glcore” to the Launch Options in Steam (right click Oxygen Not Included -> Properties)

also, for windowed or borderless mode

" -popupwindow <- you want this in steam "set launch options", you may have to "alt + enter" when the game opens. "

also this from an old thread:

Because ONI uses Unity, there isn't really any way to add borderless window to the graphics options. However you can add "-popupwindow" to your command line(or set it in your steam launch options) and the game will run borderless. This requires you to set the in game graphics to windowed mode. 

LaunchOps.thumb.png.b45b9fc84236912a6ce12a7984e1a7b3.png

Launch options can be entered in the game properties, some options are listed above, can be entered in this box below the launch options heading.

Edited by The Plum Gate

7 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

This

also, for windowed or borderless mode

" -popupwindow <- you want this in steam "set launch options", you may have to "alt + enter" when the game opens. "

also this from an old thread:

Because ONI uses Unity, there isn't really any way to add borderless window to the graphics options. However you can add "-popupwindow" to your command line(or set it in your steam launch options) and the game will run borderless. This requires you to set the in game graphics to windowed mode.

That doesn't work either.

I think I know the solution. Like i stated with Any Video Converter I was having problems using the installer. I downloaded another program's installer and was having the same problem and happened to check the file under Properties and there was an option I've never seen before where it states "This file is from another computer"  and gave the choice to unblock it from being executed. Now i just need to know where the ONI.exe is to see.

EDIT: I found the exe, but the Properties doesn't have it. I still haven't had a chance to edit Avast preferences and I'll do that next.

Edited by vonVile
  • Like 1