1 minute ago, BeeClops said:

I understand you better now, but I still don't think it's OP because of the time limitation. Spending 500 days in a world is also a grind worth rewarding imo.

i don't think just existing should be rewarded. Especially with such strong things like leafy meat

I personally love leafy meat, as you can put a bulb on your boat as you sail and have free food as you go and have none of the hassle that comes with the eyes.

Along with this. People are always saying pierogis are just so good. But with just 1 leafy meat and 3 stone fruit, you make beefy greens which is the same if not better than perogies in basically every way.

And I don't need to stuff a birdcage onto my boat, get 2 meat, and make an egg to get it, all I need is a bulb on my boat and a chest of un-cracked stone fruits

3 hours ago, landromat said:

i don't think just existing should be rewarded.

Well... tell that to bulk player-base that can't manage going past 1st autumn/winter.

Regarding Lureplants am neutral: can remain like they are now, or get a certain nerf, however not too punishing to render them another useless item only good as fire fuel. If we're talking late-game food, I reckon most advanced players out there have the proverbial Horn of Plenty past 1st in-game year - only the transplanted Stone Fruit Bushes have an output that can sustain some Mighty Wolfgangs all time, boss fights most included. Now with disease gone, Berry Bushes or Juicy Berries alone are more than enough: a couple dozens of them clearly provide more food than needed. Heck, even 10 Bee Boxes set your food, sanity and healing for all respective run.

Just now, Intrepidpioneer said:

Can you explain this please? How do walls keep them from attacking you after harvesting?

if the walls have an opening, bees will try to use that opening to get out. You can use this to your advantage, if the opening is far enough away they won't even bother to come around to you and just go back to their hives once you close the door to them. I'll post an image tomorrow if this is not clear enough

Leafy meat recipes are generally balanced by their long cooking time for their quick spoilage. Combined with the fact that leafy meat is often stale or so when you harvest it, it's often not worth carrying these around. A Jelly Salad tends to last like a day in the ruins.

Also, I don't really see much of a problem with needing to kill things. Hound/worm waves essentially force you to get monster meat, and werepigs can be safely killed. As for sanity dishes, Taffy is a great honey one you missed.

Beefy Greens also requires 1.0 vegetables, which isn't necessarily the most convenient to get since RWYS. It's still accessible, but I tend to use honey, kelp, or mushrooms nowadays. Berries seem convenient as well if that's your thing

That said, leafy meat is great as essentially another separate monster meat—you can cook a honey ham with one leafy meat and one monster meat. But I believe lureplants are supposed to cause lag on land (though I haven't verified) so it's not something I use in caves.

P.S. Honey Ham can utilize .5 meat similar to Meaty Stew

I don't think Leafy Meat is OP. Imo what makes a thing OP is what it can do that other things simply can't even replicate it, and it's so good that it makes other things pretty much obsolete. LIke bone armor, it negates 100% damage and doesn't stun you, and the cost is only 1/4 nightmare fuel. Monster meat can easily replace Leafy meat, they are auto-delivered by hound attacks, and even though Leafy Meat dishes are quite powerful, they can also be replaced by Pierogi, Dragonpie, Ice Cream, Taffy, Honey Ham, which are way more easier to make with a pig farm/ bunny farm/ RWYS farm, couple with some bee boxes.

It will also take you at least 2 or 3 Springs to be able to make a good Lureplant farm anyway.

Is Leafy Meat powerful? Yes. Is it OP? I don't think so.

Spoils quickly and generally isn't at full freshness when you harvest either, also every dish you can make out of it except for one spoil quickly as well so to me that is clearly the big downside.

I have like 14 or so lureplants on boats and I rarely harvest and actually cook the meat, I just have better farms set up and the leafy meat needs to be cooked like straight away which is painful. I generally just use it to cook a bunch of Jelly Salad for quick sanity.

7 hours ago, Crestwave said:

Leafy meat recipes are generally balanced by their long cooking time for their quick spoilage.

Yep. For some reason these two things are generally ignored when talking about crock pot recipes, even though they're super relevant. Turkey Dinner for example is a recipe that's always sounded and looked really cool to me, but takes a full minute to cook and then spoils in just 6 days (assuming every ingredient will be at 100% freshness, which is basically impossible). Then on the other hand I've seen people refer to Barnacle Nigiri as "Pierogi but worse" several times, while I'll gladly cook it over Pierogi due to how it pops out of the crock pot in just 10 seconds.

Cook time and spoilage are pretty huge parts of food in this game, and they really shouldn't be left out of theorycrafting so often.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

Yep. For some reason these two things are generally ignored when talking about crock pot recipes, even though they're super relevant. Turkey Dinner for example is a recipe that's always sounded and looked really cool to me, but takes a full minute to cook and then spoils in just 6 days (assuming every ingredient will be at 100% freshness, which is basically impossible). Then on the other hand I've seen people refer to Barnacle Nigiri as "Pierogi but worse" several times, while I'll gladly cook it over Pierogi due to how it pops out of the crock pot in just 10 seconds.

Cook time and spoilage are pretty huge parts of food in this game, and they really shouldn't be left out of theorycrafting so often.

Absolutely agree here, more often than not a lot of things are looked at in a vacuum with just their raw stats, which is basically ripping them out of context of how they would interact with the rest of the game.

Yes these recipes restore quite a bit of health, hunger and sanity, but you gotta wait 70+ days to build up enough meaty bulbs to actually use these recipes reliably, even though you could also use farm crops way earlier into a world and not lose out on much benefit.

Yes lategame you will have a bunch of meat bulbs set up most likely, but you also gotta harvest them every time or else the leafy meat spoils super quickly. Not to mention the spoilage of the recipes themselves is quite quick.

There are only very few recipes where I would say they are actually "too" good or "too" underpowered.

I think people also forget the other sources of leafy meat, ones that don't require it to be spring.

Those two being grass geckos and the fallounder fish that spawns in autumn in coastal and swell waters.

Of course they arent as easy as lure plants, they can at least be obtained in the first autumn.

Archived