[Game Update] Spaced Out Testing Branch is Open! - 447728

12 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

And I suppose steam is also up to date? This sounds fishy. Like a firewall rejection.

Steam is up to date and I turned off Avast and still nothing. The game just doesn't straight out start to load. I had the Task Manager window open to see if something even begins and nothing appears showing ONI is even found to start loading. A Steam window appears for a second and that's it. There's something wrong in Klei's start up code that isn't setup right for PC like it was for Mac. The Mac version of this bug got pinned and fixed by a user finding the bad code, but the PC bug hasn't been addressed.

Edited by vonVile

3 hours ago, vonVile said:

Steam is up to date and I turned off Avast and still nothing. The game just doesn't straight out start to load. I had the Task Manager window open to see if something even begins and nothing appears showing ONI is even found to start loading. A Steam window appears for a second and that's it. There's something wrong in Klei's start up code that isn't setup right for PC like it was for Mac. The Mac version of this bug got pinned and fixed by a user finding the bad code, but the PC bug hasn't been addressed.

If that's the case then you should report your full specs to the bug posting forum, if it asks for a log file and it hasn't created one, just put a text file in there that contains a description of the bug report.

Don't forget to detail your specs, etc.

No idea what kind of setup you have, you haven't mentioned that I have seen.

• Like 1

Just now, syrae said:

almost always my late evenings so my guess is to wait at least 8 more hours or something

Yeh normally drops about 16-17:00 over here so about 4-5hrs maybe. My only concern is the in game timer only changed to less than a day this morning (about 4-5hrs ago) so update may not be until tomorrow :-(

1 minute ago, ATM Reaper said:

Yeh normally drops about 16-17:00 over here so about 4-5hrs maybe. My only concern is the in game timer only changed to less than a day this morning (about 4-5hrs ago) so update may not be until tomorrow :-(

tomorrow is weekend so the exact right moment to start a new colony :D

Mine said less than a day last night. I'm going to guess that they start their work day around 9am or noon eastern time.

Releases were previously twitch streamed around 4pm eastern - this was right at lunch time for them. No telling what they're doing now days,

I would assume they release whatever it is around lunch their time, this gives them plenty of waking work hours to smash game crashing bugs.

It's also worth noting that the previous minor patche fixes were done relatively late in their evening, so they may honestly drop it anytime. 

Or they could just call that patch they did yesterday the release for this week. :lol:

15 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

If that's the case then you should report your full specs to the bug posting forum, if it asks for a log file and it hasn't created one, just put a text file in there that contains a description of the bug report.

Don't forget to detail your specs, etc.

No idea what kind of setup you have, you haven't mentioned that I have seen.

I guess I'll have to make my own bug report, because the post reporting the bug is buried with the page not setup to move the latest updated message coming first. That post has 2 other people having the exact same problem.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ATM Reaper said:

So testing ppls, any update on when new testing items will be added?

They're going to be breaking some things by altering cluster destinations or RWG, so expect it to be a restart your game type content release if you want in on it.

Wheen could be any time... or three weeks.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:02 PM, vonVile said:

I guess I'll have to make my own bug report, because the post reporting the bug is buried with the page not setup to move the latest updated message coming first. That post has 2 other people having the exact same problem.

some other random things, try launching your game in administrator mode once - occasionally there are some vcc redistributables that need to launch and install. Also check you screen scaling in windows and set it too 100% and try this as well. Avast and windows firewall aren't the same, check windows firewall settings, they're relatively easy to find in the settings, you'll need to look into the "allow an app through the firewall" section and make sure that ONI is allowed or checked there. there should be two of them.

You can also get rid of the two .log files in the game installation directory and attempt to launch the game from the .exe file directly. You can browse here via the local files link in steam settings. You can also try to launch the game from the console from the install directory. The console launch might shed some light on any console derived errors it's throwing.

The .log files might be corrupt or somehow write locked or set to read only. I no idea why this would happen but it could cause an issue. Try getting rid of those two files.

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036947812-Oxygen-Not-Included-is-crashing-at-or-just-after-the-Klei-Logo has some thigns in it as well.,

I'm trying to find if there's a command switch you can use launch windowed.

the kplayerprefs.yaml file can be chucked to reset anything that might be conflicting with the launch as well. This resides in the Klei folder in the My Documents folder that windows creates for save files.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 3:11 PM, ATM Reaper said:

So testing ppls, any update on when new testing items will be added?

Before launch they were on a 4 week schedule with the last week having the testing branch. Then they switched to 6 weeks with 2 for testing and 8 weeks with 3 for testing close to release.

Now they seem to be on a 3 week schedule so likely next week there will be a testing branch, if they still plan to work the same.

On 1/31/2021 at 4:16 PM, The Plum Gate said:

some other random things, try launching your game in administrator mode once - occasionally there are some vcc redistributables that need to launch and install. Also check you screen scaling in windows and set it too 100% and try this as well. Avast and windows firewall aren't the same, check windows firewall settings, they're relatively easy to find in the settings, you'll need to look into the "allow an app through the firewall" section and make sure that ONI is allowed or checked there. there should be two of them.

You can also get rid of the two .log files in the game installation directory and attempt to launch the game from the .exe file directly. You can browse here via the local files link in steam settings. You can also try to launch the game from the console from the install directory. The console launch might shed some light on any console derived errors it's throwing.

The .log files might be corrupt or somehow write locked or set to read only. I no idea why this would happen but it could cause an issue. Try getting rid of those two files.

https://support.klei.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036947812-Oxygen-Not-Included-is-crashing-at-or-just-after-the-Klei-Logo has some thigns in it as well.,

I'm trying to find if there's a command switch you can use launch windowed.

the kplayerprefs.yaml file can be chucked to reset anything that might be conflicting with the launch as well. This resides in the Klei folder in the My Documents folder that windows creates for save files.

One thing I think might be causing the problem is Avast blocking the DLC from loading. Just recently an old laptop died and I've been trying to install all the programs I had on that to another laptop. One program that Avast completely blocks the installer from loading is the program Any Video Converter. Older versions of the installer, which I was able to use before on the laptop I'm using now won't work. Even turning off Avast the installers won't even start to load. I had to copy the Any Video Converter program off the old laptop's HD to be able to use it again. I even did virus scans with Avast and the files come out clean, so I don't know what Avast is trying to block.

2 hours ago, vonVile said:

One thing I think might be causing the problem is Avast blocking the DLC from loading. Just recently an old laptop died and I've been trying to install all the programs I had on that to another laptop. One program that Avast completely blocks the installer from loading is the program Any Video Converter. Older versions of the installer, which I was able to use before on the laptop I'm using now won't work. Even turning off Avast the installers won't even start to load. I had to copy the Any Video Converter program off the old laptop's HD to be able to use it again. I even did virus scans with Avast and the files come out clean, so I don't know what Avast is trying to block.

This is interesting, perhaps avast and windows defender are interacting, windows defender has a blacklist and quarantine feature that avast might be using to block programs from installing via a second hand interaction - sort of like a security feature. All the windows defender and security settings can be found in the settings panel -  the app is just called windows security, you can search for it in cortana or the quick search bar, otherwise it's a click or so into the settings panel. You may be able to view the history of threat protection actions - there is also an option to allow a threat to run, so there may be something in there for it.

Avast has a behaviour settings:

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=200404.0

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=198684.0

They don't go through how to do this, I don't use avast so I don't know how to get an exception going.

Edited by The Plum Gate
added links

On 1/14/2021 at 8:33 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Hello friends!

Now that the new year is upon us, we've got our minds set on steadily moving Spaced Out! towards launch. With the major systems in place, we're going to begin a regular release cycle of testing and updates. Starting today, we're going to have a DLC branch open at all times that we update fairly frequently. Once every 3 weeks, we will stabilize the DLC test branch and then update the default branch of the game.

T

They told us every 3 week just 3 week ago

I misunderstood T-T

21 minutes ago, yopyop6 said:

3 weeks for the default branch, not necessarily the testing branch

o say that a different way: DLC owners can join the test branch for frequent updates and lots of opportunities to provide feedback as features develop, or you can remain on the default branch and enjoy updates to the game every 3 weeks

14 minutes ago, ATM Reaper said:

Still no testing content and next 3 week release is this week coming, either they are leaving it kinda late or they are comfortable with the content.

They're modding worldgen among other things, so expect the usual experimental update dance Tuesday sometime, and I expect they're dropping the regular branch release Thursday.

They usually post hotfixes later on in the day or on Friday - they like their weekenders to be able to game crash free.

5 minutes ago, The Plum Gate said:

They're modding worldgen among other things, so expect the usual experimental update dance Tuesday sometime, and I expect they're dropping the regular branch release Thursday.

They usually post hotfixes later on in the day or on Friday - they like their weekenders to be able to game crash free.

Yeh so much for the early access testing approach lol. Lets see what Thursday has to offer.

• Like 1

• Developer
8 hours ago, ATM Reaper said:

Still no testing content and next 3 week release is this week coming, either they are leaving it kinda late or they are comfortable with the content.

There have been frequent updates to the testing branch.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/126711-game-update-450552/
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/126911-game-update-450996/
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/126989-game-update-451611/
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/127018-game-update-451737/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1