Does wurt passive stacks with insulated pack?

11 hours ago, QuartzBeam said:

No. Fish in backpack slots are not affected.

I wonder why?

Is the spoilage of a live fish a different attribute in the code? Like a "fish lifespan" or something?

Seems to me that they reimplemented the system when they introduced unstackable fishies. Only the Tin Fish Bin on a boat can store (saltwater only) fishes forever.

4 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

I wonder why?

Is the spoilage of a live fish a different attribute in the code? Like a "fish lifespan" or something?

Seems to me that they reimplemented the system when they introduced unstackable fishies. Only the Tin Fish Bin on a boat can store (saltwater only) fishes forever.

Hmmm?

Fish do last twice as long in the Insulated Pack. It's just that Wurt's spoilage multiplier does not affect fish inside backpack slots. Presumably cause that natural merm moisture doesn't reach into backpacks.

Captured animals operate on the same freshness mechanics as food does.

44 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

Lowkey, I also find it weird that thermal stones work in backpacks, for the same logic.

Well, Backpacks do keep wetness out. Even if the backpack itself gets wet, its content will remain dry, so it makes sense that Wurt's spoilage modifier doesn't apply to them.

But all backpacks, even the insulated pack, are still affected by seasonal spoilage modifier, so heat can go in and out.

2 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

And I can understand that but then what's the in universe reason for wurt keeping them alive longer or heck how merms keep them alive forever.

game logic also, what do you mean with merms keeping them forever?

if is because of the loot, is because they are half fish half amphibians

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if is because of the loot, is because they are half fish half amphibians

That doesn't mean they drop half of themselves as a smaller living organism, though. If they dropped fish because they're fish they would be dropping fish meat. If you put the fish they drop in a fish tank, you'll see that the fish was explicitly caught by "A Merm." So it's a fish they caught themselves.

I would just describe their ability to keep fish live longer as "game mechanics".

Until the Wurt update I just assumed a Merm was half Fish, Half Frog people.. (and also having never played those Spin-off modes that I do not consider as Canon to the games story Gorge & Forge) So Goat-Mermification is a Foreign concept to Myself and anyone playing DST that didn’t get to play Gorge/Forge.

But Killing a Merm always dropped Fish & Frog legs- so I just assumed that’s what Merms were.. Mutated Fish-Frog people. I also assumed they were highly dangerous highly anti-social meat eating swamp monsters that kill you if you step anywhere near their land.

But then Wurt came out and changed all that by explaining that Merms just really really REALLY Enjoy keeping “pet fish” in their inventory, I have absolutely no idea where the frog legs come from, them being vegetarians and all that... Wurt really killed my entire in head concept of what Merms were, now I see them as just Vegetarians that carry around pet fish.

I think Klei explained that their naturally slimy wetness is what keeps the fish alive longer, even though it’s still killing the fish to take it out the water (poor Merms don’t seem to know it’s like removing a human removing a space suit in outer space for A fish, they just can’t breath without being in the Water)

Backpacks don’t help to aid in Fishy freshness (at least I don’t think) because things in Packs don’t stay wet with water & therefore/ still breathing.

You know this does bring up another good point wurt's quotes for frogs and frog legs makes it seem like merms would be on good terms with frogs which is clearly not the case. But then what is the lore behind the don't starve frogs anyway they seem more mystical than the merms this is a rabbit hole that keeps getting deeper.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

. But then what is the lore behind the don't starve frogs anyway they seem more mystical than the merms

Hope this is explained in the future. Gorge implied sentient animals were changed by a selfish skygod and gradually forgot themselves. So... Where do froglegs fit into this equation?

Does this mean Kra'deshi from Griftlands are merm cousins?

19 hours ago, Electroely said:

That doesn't mean they drop half of themselves as a smaller living organism, though. If they dropped fish because they're fish they would be dropping fish meat. If you put the fish they drop in a fish tank, you'll see that the fish was explicitly caught by "A Merm." So it's a fish they caught themselves.

I would just describe their ability to keep fish live longer as "game mechanics".

According to the wiki

Kevin (Klei's lead developer) answered the question "Why do Merms drop Fish?" in the ShannonZKiller's pre-release Twitch video. The answer was "They are made of fish".

20 hours ago, Mysterious box said:

And I can understand that but then what's the in universe reason for wurt keeping them alive longer or heck how merms keep them alive forever.

I think merms are supposed to be wet so that wetness keeps the fish alive longer.

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

According to the wiki

Kevin (Klei's lead developer) answered the question "Why do Merms drop Fish?" in the ShannonZKiller's pre-release Twitch video. The answer was "They are made of fish".

this has sense since they drop it since they were released, way before wurt update or the fisgubg update.

they are fishy face

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

According to the wiki

I think that was pretty much retconned at this point. A sign from a developer in this thread would be nice, but as it stands it doesn't make sense for them to drop fish "because they're made of fish" and then have the game say "they caught the fish."

5 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I think that was pretty much retconned at this point. A sign from a developer in this thread would be nice, but as it stands it doesn't make sense for them to drop fish "because they're made of fish" and then have the game say "they caught the fish."

It might be a retcon or it might be an error. Maybe it's just looking at the source of the fish and mistakenly saying it was caught by a merm since it has no other text to display.

51 minutes ago, Electroely said:

the drop is a joke

they are frogs with fishy face

Archived