wanted; skilled player for a job

ok so as all of you know there is a collective of people who claim on the regular that that the game is too easy and needs to be harder. i hear these players and i cannot tell which ones are legit good and have exhausted what the game has and which ones are wet diapers who just like to whine BUT i do want to know and i do want to give them(and anyone else) a chance to put their money where their mouth is! i have a challenge for you; the first person to get to day 30(3 hours of play) without rollbacks by january 3rd gets one bundle(character, game OR belongings, does not matter which) on steam

there are only three rules;

gotta be at least 20 years old and have a steam account to get the prize

gotta record the entire thing from startup to a full exit(twitch or picarto or youtube) so that i, and anyone else who is interested can watch and see no shenanigans took place(mods, rollbacks, control commands, abusing the ghost mechanic to camp; aka the usual suspects).

gotta to be done solo on a survival-mode world where all toggles are set to 'none' excepting for boss toggles, world regrowth and touchstones which can be left on default if the player so chooses.(if you turn caves on they also have to be set to 'none')

btw, for anyone wondering the day cycle or season start does not matter, caves are allowed and you can pick any character you want. have fun and pick your favs<3 if noone is bold enough to enter then no prize is given, if noone can make it to day 30 then the person who lives the longest gets the prize(rules still apply though) and we all can have proof that dst is a hard game even for vets. if lots of people survive it then we have proof that the game is in fact too easy and i will give out beating heart bundles to people who can do the challenge without dying even once. as for the rest of you please feel free to start a debate below on how unfair the challenge is, if it is possible to do, who is the most likely to finish first(or at all) and which dlc would be the best to aim for

settings for people who need help;

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ed7268caba5ecb4e513455875b87528f.png

image.thumb.png.7c708fbf3706fb9cf733c15a148255f8.png

image.thumb.png.14643e0f9d3ef4fca7796691e0dae23a.png

image.thumb.png.4645dee850424481bbd549b8bc4978a3.png

image.thumb.png.ef9b346e620f950f52963403f8abf9e1.png

image.thumb.png.eb33cd10001a46b32f2bb4c96ef31a45.png

image.thumb.png.d2781dadcbf1741081b270a5049df049.png

image.thumb.png.4f8edf79f786459a1a6175f6532321fe.png

where you should start recording;

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1560483ae061a8893a698a34649ab1de.png

what your world will look like if you did it correctly;

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a189228076670c33a57cb03ae6158a83.png

image.thumb.png.4709eb1364960f0f2759aaf4f13201a4.png

11 minutes ago, gaymime said:

ok so as all of you know there is a collective of people who claim on the regular that that the game is too easy and needs to be harder. i hear these players and i cannot tell which ones are legit good and have exhausted what the game has and which ones are wet diapers who just like to whine BUT i do want to know and i do want to give them(and anyone else) a chance to put their money where their mouth is! i have a challenge for you; the first person to get to day 30(3 hours of play) without rollbacks by january 3rd gets one bundle(character, game OR belongings, does not matter which) on steam

there are only three rules;

gotta be at least 20 years old and have a steam account to get the prize

gotta record the entire thing from startup to a full exit(twitch or picarto or youtube) so that i, and anyone else who is interested can watch and see no shenanigans took place(mods, rollbacks, control commands, abusing the ghost mechanic to camp; aka the usual suspects).

has to be done on a survival-mode world where all toggles are set to 'none' excepting for boss toggles and touchstones which can be left on default if the player so chooses.

btw, for anyone wondering the day cycle or season start does not matter, caves are allowed and you can pick any character you want. have fun and pick your favs<3 if noone is bold enough to enter then no prize is given, if noone can make it to day 30 then the person who lives the longest gets the prize(rules still apply though) and we all can have proof that dst is a hard game even for vets. if lots of people survive it then we have proof that the game is in fact too easy and i will give out beating heart bundles to people who can do the challenge without dying even once. as for the rest of you please feel free to start a debate below on how unfair the challenge is, if it is possible to do, who is the most likely to finish first(or at all) and which dlc would be the best to aim for

My translator didn't do his job. You can take a screenshot of which settings should be "none". And the second question - should I play without stopping, or can I take a break and start recording again?

41 minutes ago, Bellium said:

If everything is set to non won't people just keep dying day 1 until they find dfly lava pools?

not necessarily. the portal will spawn 1 resource every 30 seconds if there are no players within two screens of it and boons still spawn even with everything turned off. the world also isnt a true 'nothing' world since resources do generate on world creation they just are super rare(like maybe 50-60 things in the entire world). also world regrowth will cause things like carrots and trees to spawn too over time

I think a better indicator of player skill would be how quickly and efficiently someone can on default world settings do things like defeat bosses, clear the ruins, make a base that's sufficient enough to allow them to semi-afk year-round without dying, etc. Surviving in a world where the postern "spawns 1 resource every 30 seconds" and has "maybe 50-60 things in the entire world" sounds less like a test of skill and more a test of patience and luck.

16 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

My translator didn't do his job. You can take a screenshot of which settings should be "none". And the second question - should I play without stopping, or can I take a break and start recording again?

you can take a break if you need to. i updated the post to have pictures

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Are you sure about that? The "Failed Survivors" toggle can be set to None so I'd assume that means no boons.

failed survivors are those skeletons. there are one-off rare boons(like developer's graveyard or maxwell's garden) that spawn regardless

17 minutes ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

Might do it. Do we need to add you on steam or whatever ?

only if you are the winner and only for an hour or so while i send your prize to you

10 minutes ago, Toros said:

I question the relevance of playing a game on such different settings as “proof that DST is a hard game even for vets”

There’s a lot of settings set to none and I’m not sure OP has considered the implications.

after playing lights out, turning many of the toggles to none(though not at the same time as i am still not a pro at playing by any means) and watching others play sucessfully on none worlds i think i have the basic idea of how the game changes with features removed and since they are legitimate built-in options they are valid for playing the game as it was intended. toggles are the games "difficulty" settings and if several people choose the most difficult settings and it is still easy then the game might be "too easy", if the most difficult settings are too insurmountable by the 'best' players then the game is likely not "too easy". it is simple enough deductive reasoning and an easy way to challenge oneself to play differently

7 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think a better indicator of player skill would be how quickly and efficiently someone can on default world settings do things like defeat bosses, clear the ruins, make a base that's sufficient enough to allow them to semi-afk year-round without dying, etc. Surviving in a world where the postern "spawns 1 resource every 30 seconds" and has "maybe 50-60 things in the entire world" sounds less like a test of skill and more a test of patience and luck.

not at all. hundreds of people have shown that playing on normal difficulty can be easily and quickly done and loads of people on the forum have cried about how normal difficulty is too easy and must be changed. if you are just playing through the same setting you always play on you are not showing your skill you are showing your ability to remember the meta and ability to cut corners. skill is about learning how to do things well enough that you can tolerate deviation and difficulty and still manage to do the thing well.

oh, also there is indeed a luck element to it but that is baked into the game and is always there.

@gaymime if you take Webber, and if you change the day cycle the way there's no night, and change the season so there is a longer autumn, you can survive only by eating monster meat. Change your challenge, atleast make all the seasons default and the day cycle.

1 minute ago, Le Rafistoleur said:

@gaymime if you take Webber, and if you change the day cycle the way there's no night, and change the season so there is a longer autumn, you can survive only by eating monster meat. Change your challenge, atleast make all the seasons default and the day cycle.

if you can make it work then that is a valid strat. ^^

Just now, Le Rafistoleur said:

lol let's go, I started recording.

nice! for sure though i am excited to see. a guy playing a none-world as webber and face-punching spiders was how i was introduced to the concept so someone else giving it a try will be fun ^^ though it will be interesting to see how easy it is with lights on all of the time, haha. he died a few times to darkness

6 minutes ago, gaymime said:

nice! for sure though i am excited to see. a guy playing a none-world as webber and face-punching spiders was how i was introduced to the concept so someone else giving it a try will be fun ^^ though it will be interesting to see how easy it is with lights on all of the time, haha. he died a few times to darkness

I'm pretty sure we almost all watch orangE here hehehe

5 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Aw man, I would like to do this thing.

you still can~ there is nothing stopping you from getting quick forum cred for playing on a hard world and i wasn't kidding about giving out small prizes if enough people succeed so if stuff is your goal there is still a chance<3

Just now, gaymime said:

you still can~ there is nothing stopping you from getting forum cred for playing on a hard world and i wasn't kidding about giving out small prizes if enough people succeed

This is very nice of you to do that btw, thank you !

5 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Aw man, I would like to do this thing.

You can totally do that dude, there's many way to succeed in the nothing world, even without Webber, there's Wickerbottom who can do alot of things too !

Just now, Le Rafistoleur said:

This is very nice of you to do that btw, thank you !

You can totally do that dude, there's many way to succeed in the nothing world, even without Webber, there's Wickerbottom who can do alot of things too !

nah, it isn't nice it is an enticement for labor~ i defos make out better since for about two pounds i get 3 hours of entertainment x''D for sure it is way cheaper than a movie off of youtube

from what i have seen wigfrid and wicker and webber are best but i am sure that anyone can manage it excepting perhaps warly whose food costs are too high(min 4 ingredients is hard even if you go to caves right away)

Archived