wanted; skilled player for a job

21 minutes ago, Wambachaka said:

I've seen seeds without birds. Actually earlier today when I was messing around with the nothing world, a skeleton spawned with a pitchfork, manure, a straw hat, and 4 seeds I think. I had "failed survivors" turned off of course but he still spawned. Also, there is a 0.9% chance to get a carrot seed when digging up a naked mole bat burrow in the lunar grotto. Both of those sources are extremely RNG dependent though so I'm not gonna try it.

It occurred to me that it might be possible to make a boat, though. I was finding a surprising number of trees in my run, and even managed to make a science machine. You'd need 37 logs total for a science machine, think tank, boat kit, and an oar. That would take 9 full grown trees and one extra log, if you dig up the stumps.

oh dang, i havent seen that set piece with the seeds still in-tact XD call it an oopsie on my part! i also did not know that about the grotto. see, i am learning all sorts of things from this venture~

yeah, trees are one of the fastest respawns so it is viable to get the wood if you can live long enough but you'd have to get lucky finding the other materials and a shovel for that. i think though a hammer and the disused beefalo pen might be a better shot at it since that is a fairly common set piece to spawn and a hammer, while a pain to make, is feasible with enough time actually if you could get bearger to spawn near it he'd be able to take it out for you... i wonder how possible that would be though?

20 minutes ago, gaymime said:

i think though a hammer and the disused beefalo pen might be a better shot at it since that is a fairly common set piece to spawn and a hammer, while a pain to make, is feasible with enough time actually if you could get bearger to spawn near it he'd be able to take it out for you... i wonder how possible that would be though?

If you got 3 monster meat from batilisks and 2 logs, you could make a beaver idol and have unlimited hammering for a few minutes. I was thinking of using a beaver idol on some pig heads, so I could make pig houses.

I guess if getting monster meat from batilisks is viable, I could try eating 2 raw monster meat for a 1/3 chance of goose form. You can also get monster meat from glommer, or naked mole bats. Maybe I'll try to find a way to get to the lunar grotto.

This challenge tests a different skillset, which I would refer to as creative scarcity survival. More a puzzle than anything.

If you want to test the core skillset of DST mechanics, do a speedrun of all bosses and the lunar 3 pieces, like Don does it in his new series

I didn't comment but I did try this out when you first posted it.  I'm a hipster when it comes to meta so I instantly refused to play webber when people mentioned it had been done.  I went in with Willow.  I figured a free torch + cooking could be handy, and Bernie to stave off the shadow creatures.  I made it to day 9.  I decided to check out the ornate chests to see if I could get some tools / weapons to help out.  After popping a few I decided to kinda suicide my run by checking out the ancient guardian.  Then I re spawned with console commands and just checked things out with the world on those settings.

The hardest part was getting twigs to make an axe.  Twiggy trees were spawning but as I ducked into the caves they still weren't dropping any twigs.  I'm not sure how long it takes for them to start littering the ground, but once they do it shouldn't be too hard to get a boat and oar, and start working kelps into a nice harvest area at which point I think anyone would be good to go.

Even with failed survivors turned off I did get one.  I also used mandrakes cooked on Willow's lighter for a food boost which was plenty for finding the areas above ground I needed.  I also noticed that the graveyard in the mosaic still spawned gold.

I think its doable but since someone chimed in with the webber strat so quickly I didn't go for another round.

20 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

big snip!

this requires an intimate understanding of the game and using one's skills to survive, rushing does not. rushing is about understanding how to battle effectively and remembering the resource strats for fighting effectively. at best you can say an understanding of the topographical structure of the world is needed as well to encompass doing it quickly and possibly an understanding of resource depletion on a couple common items. you barely need to know how to feed yourself, you don't need to know how to make alternative light-sources, how to balance resource cooldown times or understand anything about regrowth, you don't need to deal with most mob timers or be all that mindful of the day-night-cycle or care too much about body-temp regulation or seasonal shifts. heck, you very nearly don't even need to manage your meters outside of in-battle health and depending on your kit and fighting tactics that isnt much of an issue either

rushes are more about all the things you DON'T have to do. by its very nature it is a challenge based around minimum viable actions to reach a fixed goal with minimal deviation. that is not the point of this at all

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I didn't comment but I did try this out when you first posted it.  I'm a hipster when it comes to meta so I instantly refused to play webber when people mentioned it had been done.  I went in with Willow.  I figured a free torch + cooking could be handy, and Bernie to stave off the shadow creatures.  I made it to day 9.  I decided to check out the ornate chests to see if I could get some tools / weapons to help out.  After popping a few I decided to kinda suicide my run by checking out the ancient guardian.  Then I re spawned with console commands and just checked things out with the world on those settings.

The hardest part was getting twigs to make an axe.  Twiggy trees were spawning but as I ducked into the caves they still weren't dropping any twigs.  I'm not sure how long it takes for them to start littering the ground, but once they do it shouldn't be too hard to get a boat and oar, and start working kelps into a nice harvest area at which point I think anyone would be good to go.

Even with failed survivors turned off I did get one.  I also used mandrakes cooked on Willow's lighter for a food boost which was plenty for finding the areas above ground I needed.  I also noticed that the graveyard in the mosaic still spawned gold.

I think its doable but since someone chimed in with the webber strat so quickly I didn't go for another round.

i thiiiink it is every three days or so though whether one twig or two drops is kind of random(if it helps i have not seen any drop while i was there so it might have to happen while you are not watching?). but for sure i didnt even think about ornate chests and i am pretty sure i've never seen anyone try that strategy. shame it ended with the guardian stomping poor willow XD

7 hours ago, gaymime said:

i thiiiink it is every three days or so though whether one twig or two drops is kind of random(if it helps i have not seen any drop while i was there so it might have to happen while you are not watching?). but for sure i didnt even think about ornate chests and i am pretty sure i've never seen anyone try that strategy. shame it ended with the guardian stomping poor willow XD

I could have gotten out.  I had plenty of light and sanity left.  I just decided to check him out first and that didn't go so well lol.  I definitely had more than 3 days pass without a twig, but I think the tree might need to complete a first cycle before it starts dropping twigs because even at full size they hadn't dropped anything yet.

The ornate chests aren't a bad thing to check out, but it is risky.  Getting a Pick/Axe is going to mean a lot in getting other tools but you gotta run passed the clockworks to get there.  I don't know if I'd do that again.  I did get a failed survivor even with them turned off, sounds like some other people did too.  The best bet would be to get the boards survivor, that would speed up getting a boat which imo is the best way to get to reliable food since the ocean content doesn't turn off.  I wonder if they'll fix that <_< 

3 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

if you want an extra challenge that allows you to get creative with new mechanics, try uncompromising mode and click on the cursed stone

But that's a mod... and the whole point was to consider DST's inbuilt difficulty...  but I'm not surprised.  The first rule of playing uncompromising mode is you MUST talk about uncompromising mode...

42 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

if you want an extra challenge that allows you to get creative with new mechanics, try uncompromising mode and click on the cursed stone

i've heard a few people have been quite pleased with that mod. i am glad it is getting attention and meeting the desire of a fair few persons. at the same time though that isnt really the point either since it is provided outside of the game itself. XD for sure though that is two attempts to steer the conversation off-topic in two posts. you are really giving mike a run for his position as topic-derailer

47 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

I definitely had more than 3 days pass without a twig, but I think the tree might need to complete a first cycle before it starts dropping twigs because even at full size they hadn't dropped anything yet.

I did get a failed survivor even with them turned off, sounds like some other people did too.  The best bet would be to get the boards survivor, that would speed up getting a boat which imo is the best way to get to reliable food since the ocean content doesn't turn off.  I wonder if they'll fix that <_<

hm, that is certainly something i wish i knew the answer to. i wonder if anyone actually knows for sure/can check the code to find out. this would be good information to know

i've heard it suggested that those bits wont be toggable while the ROT branch is still in development but it hasn't been confirmed by anyone higher up that that is correct or if it is just something that will stay unchangeable. 100% i wish it could be fixed though, seastacks and cookiecutters are just not something i want in my worlds even a tiny bit

Okay, I've completed my run as Woodie, and I didn't even have to adjust the season or day/night settings. I survived by living in the lunar grotto. The video is 15 gigabytes, so it will take a while to upload to youtube. I'll summarize the events here.

I spent the first 9 days above ground. My initial priorities were to find the following: fireflies, shadow pieces setpiece, touchstone, and mandrakes. It took me much longer than I would have liked to find the mandrakes, so I had to survive by eating batilisk wings and carrots from underground. I also let myself die twice and revived myself at a touchstone.

Once I found the shadow pieces setpiece I used the pickaxe to open sinkholes and explore below ground for the blue mushtree biome. I also killed a lot of batilisks above ground, mostly for monster meat. I wanted 5 monster meat; 3 for a beaver idol to hammer the pig heads around a touch stone, and 2 for me to eat raw underground for night vision, so I could walk through the blue mushtree biome into the lunar grotto. This actually wasn't necessary because the lunar grotto was very close to the start of the blue mushtree biome, so I could just walk straight into it. I also made sure I had some twiggy tree seeds and some pinecones to bring with me, and enough gold for an alchemy engine.

Once I reached the lunar grotto on day 9, I placed my science machine and made a shovel for digging up naked molebat burrows, which give grass. I used the grass to make rope for a lantern and a football helmet. I also made 2 pig houses and eventually a drying rack, so I could make jerky. I mostly survived off meatballs, which I made from moon shrooms and monster meat from molebats.

The biggest challenge was having good enough RNG to find everything I wanted on the surface. Sometimes I would just not be able to find the shadow pieces setpiece or the mandrakes, so I would starve on day 2. After that, the biggest challenges were health management and finding enough grass in the lunar grotto.

9 minutes ago, Wambachaka said:

Okay, I've completed my run as Woodie, and I didn't even have to adjust the season or day/night settings. I survived by living in the lunar grotto. The video is 15 gigabytes, so it will take a while to upload to youtube. I'll summarize the events here.

I spent the first 9 days above ground. My initial priorities were to find the following: fireflies, shadow pieces setpiece, touchstone, and mandrakes. It took me much longer than I would have liked to find the mandrakes, so I had to survive by eating batilisk wings and carrots from underground. I also let myself die twice and revived myself at a touchstone.

Once I found the shadow pieces setpiece I used the pickaxe to open sinkholes and explore below ground for the blue mushtree biome. I also killed a lot of batilisks above ground, mostly for monster meat. I wanted 5 monster meat; 3 for a beaver idol to hammer the pig heads around a touch stone, and 2 for me to eat raw underground for night vision, so I could walk through the blue mushtree biome into the lunar grotto. This actually wasn't necessary because the lunar grotto was very close to the start of the blue mushtree biome, so I could just walk straight into it. I also made sure I had some twiggy tree seeds and some pinecones to bring with me, and enough gold for an alchemy engine.

Once I reached the lunar grotto on day 9, I placed my science machine and made a shovel for digging up naked molebat burrows, which give grass. I used the grass to make rope for a lantern and a football helmet. I also made 2 pig houses and eventually a drying rack, so I could make jerky. I mostly survived off meatballs, which I made from moon shrooms and monster meat from molebats.

The biggest challenge was having good enough RNG to find everything I wanted on the surface. Sometimes I would just not be able to find the shadow pieces setpiece or the mandrakes, so I would starve on day 2. After that, the biggest challenges were health management and finding enough grass in the lunar grotto.

oh my good golly that sounds quite grand! is it bad though i have so many questions but i also want to see the video and not spoil myself on it? X''D also you should send me a note when you do upload the video if you'd like to claim your reward. assuredly you've earned it!

The video finally finished uploading and processing. I recorded it in 720p but as of right now the youtube video is only available in 360p. It will eventually be available in 720p once it processes further. I expect that to take quite a while, but the quality difference is huge so if anyone actually wants to watch the whole thing I recommend you wait. I'll update this post once I notice the quality go up, but I will probably go to sleep before that happens.

Archived