New Wormwood changes made him so good to play alone

Don't you think new changes that Wormwood received during last Reap What You Sow update made him very complex, interesting but most importantly so enjoyable to play alone?

There are stronger characters to play alone, like Warly or Wolf, but Wormwood, to me at least, feels much more interesting and less troublesome to play around his downsides, especially after rot was buffed to heal 4 hp each. Perhaps it's because on a Megabase World one could combine Warly's upsides with Wormwood's awesome special abilities, like crafting a Dark Sword from thin air (or 5 Rot + 5 Nightmare Fuel, WHAT??).

Besides, 120% constant movement speed basically for free is a wonderful thing to have, isn't it?

image.thumb.png.81631eb55ada5d847c05c439dcc8c3f2.png

PS: I love how this Pumpkin Flower looks growing out of Thulecite Crown! UwU

5 hours ago, Sapientis said:

especially after rot was buffed to heal 4 hp each. 

Wait what?? Xbox & Playstation players living a life without such a change. *Sad Wormwood noises*

4hp for one Rot sounds highly OP and broken though, especially considering how much rot actually stacks and how easily plentiful it is to get in mass supply.. they have to had buffed his other green thumb tab healing choices or else Wormwood players just gonna rely on Rot for free heals all day.

Wormwood was already good to play alone before he got all those unnecessary buffs. I don't like the changes they did to Wormwood, all I wanted to see was manure becoming more useful for Wormwood and giving him the ability to use his blooming outside of spring.

So Klei as usual didn't change his interactions with manure at all and gave him the ability to bloom at the cost of 14 Spoiled Fish Morsels per ingame year. Other than that, the Killer Bees who are attracted by Wormwood don't focus him but his friends now and he doesn't need to farm crops during spring anymore since farming crops is now more than twice as effective and he doesn't suffer from a +100% hunger drain during spring.

He was better before he got buffed by Klei.

The changes are awesome. Especially because so many of the suggestions made by the community got included! but they were also such a surprise because before the update dropped on tuesday he had only gotten a few minor buffs, i did not expect forced Blooming, expanded self fertilizing and wetness buff to make it in! 

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

4hp for one Rot sounds highly OP and broken though

says the wendy main...  just kidding :lol:! Rot is nice for minor injuries but its a heal over time that cant be stacked, and it has a decently long animation so itd be a real hassle if you wanted to rely on it for all your healing, especially anywhere near combat. I think its nice though for players who are new to Wormwod and struggle with his no food healing. Ive been using mainly Compost Wraps since the update thanks to my moleworm farm, easy stack of nitre in one winter evening. 

27 minutes ago, xhyom said:

Didn't had time to try the best boy yet, is blooming really that easy to maintain? I'm getting excited now

Yeah its awesome, spoiled fish morsels would be the cheapest way to trigger blooming but late game you'd want to use Super Growth Formula. Any amount of growth formula fertilizer (compost wrap, spoiled fish, glommer goop, SGF) triggers blooming. Takes 2 days to fully bloom: this can be sped up by consuming more growth formula fertilizers. When in bloom it lasts 3 days, this can be extended by consuming more GF fertilizers up to 5 days. 

In winter getting into bloom takes longer and you bloom for less time, in spring opposite: faster blooming and indefinite Full Bloom. :apple:

---

It was really nice exploring the caves in summer in bloom with 3 of those light bugs flying around me :D. I think his speed boost and wetness immunity is really gonna shine in underground boss fights in spring equipped with a morning star, (dragonfly too but i personally fight everything with my beefalo above ground). 

1383456095_Schermafbeelding2020-12-21om20_46_22.png.31b2868101e279fbea79f9948f29d0d7.png

8 minutes ago, Ohan said:

It was really nice exploring the caves in summer in bloom with 3 of those light bugs flying around me :D. I think his speed boost and wetness immunity is really gonna shine in underground boss fights in spring equipped with a morning star, (dragonfly too but i personally fight everything with my beefalo above ground). 

1383456095_Schermafbeelding2020-12-21om20_46_22.png.31b2868101e279fbea79f9948f29d0d7.png

ORGANIC WX-78

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

The changes are awesome. Especially because so many of the suggestions made by the community got included! but they were also such a surprise because before the update dropped on tuesday he had only gotten a few minor buffs, i did not expect forced Blooming, expanded self fertilizing and wetness buff to make it in! 

says the wendy main...  just kidding :lol:! Rot is nice for minor injuries but its a heal over time that cant be stacked, and it has a decently long animation so itd be a real hassle if you wanted to rely on it for all your healing, especially anywhere near combat. I think its nice though for players who are new to Wormwod and struggle with his no food healing. Ive been using mainly Compost Wraps since the update thanks to my moleworm farm, easy stack of nitre in one winter evening. 

Yeah its awesome, spoiled fish morsels would be the cheapest way to trigger blooming but late game you'd want to use Super Growth Formula. Any amount of growth formula fertilizer (compost wrap, spoiled fish, glommer goop, SGF) triggers blooming. Takes 2 days to fully bloom: this can be sped up by consuming more growth formula fertilizers. When in bloom it lasts 3 days, this can be extended by consuming more GF fertilizers up to 5 days. 

In winter getting into bloom takes longer and you bloom for less time, in spring opposite: faster blooming and indefinite Full Bloom. :apple:

---

Hey what's your favorite beefalo tendency? I've always gone for ornery but having to constantly feed it to get on it got annoying especially when I had to pick up its poop behind it (I know this was improved in the latest patch). I see default is really nice middle ground. Given his new update though... Befaloo arnt really needed to tank anymore... (I still want one...)

9 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Hey what's your favorite beefalo tendency? I've always gone for ornery but having to constantly feed it to get on it got annoying especially when I had to pick up its poop behind it (I know this was improved in the latest patch). I see default is really nice middle ground.

hi! I always go ornery, yeah the lower obedience can get annoying but you have to get used to it and keep it in mind, like maxing out obedience before you go into dangerous territory (be very careful in the swamp)/engage in a fight or when ur expecting a hound attack, accidentally dismounting a few times near killer beehives will teach you that lesson fast :lol: (carrying a panflute with you will save both your butts in situations like this). I dont really mind it anymore. Later on you can also make a Glossamar saddle to put on your ornery if you want more speed and switch it out for War Saddle for big boss fights. 

Given his new update though... Befaloo arnt really needed to tank anymore... (I still want one...)

Do you mean because healing has gotten easier for Wormwood? eh idk its really up to preference. its still easier i think for Wormwood to grow a bunch of blue shrooms/tomaroots/potatoes than it is to make healing supplies for himself. Especially when you're a sloppy fighter like i sometimes tend to be :D. When i start a solo world as Wormwood i always try to domesticate an ornery asap, i end up having to craft only like 1 spear and 1 football helmet before i have go down the caves for summer. and in my current world its around day 150 and i still havent built any kind of hound defense, i just kite them a bit/face tank with the beef :love_heart: and i dont even have a war saddle yet :lol:.

the Beefalo Widget mod on the workshop is really nice if you want more clarity like seeing the beef's HP and domestication % etc 

33 minutes ago, Ohan said:

hi! I always go ornery, yeah the lower obedience can get annoying but you have to get used to it and keep it in mind, like maxing out obedience before you go into dangerous territory (be very careful in the swamp)/engage in a fight or when ur expecting a hound attack, accidentally dismounting a few times near killer beehives will teach you that lesson fast :lol: (carrying a panflute with you will save both your butts in situations like this). I dont really mind it anymore. Later on you can also make a Glossamar saddle to put on your ornery if you want more speed and switch it out for War Saddle for big boss fights. 

Do you mean because healing has gotten easier for Wormwood? eh idk its really up to preference. its still easier i think for Wormwood to grow a bunch of blue shrooms/tomaroots/potatoes than it is to make healing supplies for himself. Especially when you're a sloppy fighter like i sometimes tend to be :D. When i start a solo world as Wormwood i always try to domesticate an ornery asap, i end up having to craft only like 1 spear and 1 football helmet before i have go down the caves for summer. and in my current world its around day 150 and i still havent built any kind of hound defense, i just kite them a bit/face tank with the beef :love_heart: and i dont even have a war saddle yet :lol:.

the Beefalo Widget mod on the workshop is really nice if you want more clarity like seeing the beef's HP and domestication % etc 

Oh yeah I've domesticated beef for about a year now lol. I can fully domesticate one by day 25-26. When I was talking about not needed I meant due to his new speed perk. Healing has never been a problem for me since they buffed the bat bat (drop chance is crazy high! Getting 2 purple gems set me up for the rest of the game.) and running out of purple gems is basically impossible. His speed buff got me through bee queen everytime and I also killed dragonfly in spring (you can dodge the initial swipe with wormwoods zoomies). Dodging with increased speed is better than getting hit at all but you cant beat the convenience of fighting while holding a lantern. If they improve beef handling I may pick it up again as I am tired of it running into my field of bramble traps and killing me.

11 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I can fully domesticate one by day 25-26.

ooh nice! my fastest to date is day 30 :lol: you'd have to be lucky with world gen to do it that quick though no? finding beefs and touchstone for pigskin etc. 

14 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Healing has never been a problem for me since they buffed the bat bat

ah yes batbat tech, i havent used it much tbh but it sounds like a fun alternative Wormwood playstyle if ur not going for a beefalo. 

16 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

His speed buff got me through bee queen everytime

How do u fight her? panflutes or maze or wall or just running up and down,... ? ive only ever done BQ with bunnymen. Ive been trying it out with Lureplants + me on beef instead in a test world, it starts out really good but at some point eyeplants stop respawning for some reason 

20 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

as I am tired of it running into my field of bramble traps and killing me.

Oof haha :lol: one time i almost got my beefalo and myself killed by accidentally hitting it with bramble husk AOE as i was fighting killer bees :roll:

19 minutes ago, Ohan said:

ooh nice! my fastest to date is day 30 :lol: you'd have to be lucky with world gen to do it that quick though no? finding beefs and touchstone for pigskin etc. 

ah yes batbat tech, i havent used it much tbh but it sounds like a fun alternative Wormwood playstyle if ur not going for a beefalo. 

How do u fight her? panflutes or maze or wall or just running up and down,... ? ive only ever done BQ with bunnymen. Ive been trying it out with Lureplants + me on beef instead in a test world, it starts out really good but at some point eyeplants stop respawning for some reason 

Oof haha :lol: one time i almost got my beefalo and myself killed by accidentally hitting it with bramble husk AOE as i was fighting killer bees :roll:

So I usually gather 4 stacks of twigs and 4 stacks of grass and never get off the beef unless I have too. I fed my self only though the planted veggies on the ground. The material can be acquired on days 3-4 as following the road leads to pig king like 90% of the time or I head into the swamp for pig heads. I feed it just enough grass to ride it again if it buck me off and twigs if I need to gather items (each twig stops the hunger drain for 4-5 seconds. Its been awhile so I forget.). I count 10 seconds in my head and get off at 10 second intervals. When he starts lasting a quarter of a day I stop counting. The best Ive done is at exactly day 25 (after 4 or so days of prep) so I domesticated it in approximately 20 days which is close to the minimum. However that required a stopwatch that beeped every 10 seconds and I was loosing real life sanity. After lots of practice I can get full domestication in 21-22 days consistently. 

The way I fight bee queen is through the use of lure plants actually! You can run through a field of eyes and the grumble will lag behind her allowing for tons of free hits. The eyes themselves also take bites at the queen herself and you whittle her down to her second phase very easily. Once shes at her second phase I use the magi+ walking cane method and kill the lureplants as they make her respawn her bees too fast. Im sure you know as you mentioned running up and down but Ill add that the bat bat pairs up really well with the marble armor. His boost makes for a quick switch to the magi for when grumbles catch up as well as running away and back to her faster for more grumble free hits.

Off Topic Beefalo related rant in Spoiler:

Spoiler

I’ve only tamed a Beefalo ONCE and it was much more complicated & not as easily understandable as it should have been..

Beefalo show no signs of domesticating outside of maybe getting a slightly fatter face when it’s been well fed, it shows no signs of losing its domestication or being hungry again either.. it’s just highly confusing for anyone NOT looking up “how to” guides on the internet.

And I actually cheated to tame mine- I knew that it would need a TON of food.. so the first thing I did was find a field full of only a few beef, then I went and found Twiggy Trees and chopped all those down replanting them near the Beefalo I’m wanting to tame (LOTS of Twiggy Trees..) this method will effectively allow you to stay right near your Beefalo to tame it without ever having to leave its side and get anything else (other then managing your own hunger, sanity etc..) But even that is completely boring as all hell.

I absolutely love the way they reworked Fishing with Hook, Line & Inker, and Reworked Farming with Reap What You Sow, and I have extremely high expectations Beefalo get that more in-depth more fun rework when Year of the Beefalo update happens next month.

They should move all Beefalo taming items into its own (Ranching) tab or Structure, similar how Think Tank has all Seafaring items neatly placed and easy to understand all within its own tab.

I did not create a saddle to attempt to ride it or a brush to groom it, I only feed it endless twigs from my Twiggy Tree farm..

but looking back at last years Year of Carrat event- Klei can make interactions with Beefalo more like that, with toys & care items and improve-able performance etc-

I just hope Year of Beef makes them easier and more exciting to tame.

On Topic- yes the recent updates to Wormwood made him easier to play for Solo Wormwood Players.. but that update has not yet come for Xbox so we still have Not-Yet fixed Wormwood. :( 

Anyopne tried maxing garlic to make endless amure and rot? I wanted to do tomato and dragon fruit and then had a bunch of Tomatos left over. Skip to the last harvest of summer and I had freaking around 160 tomatoes per harvest since I ran across them and tended them a few times most gave 2 seeds.

No, but the update came to Xbox and as I had predicted it would- Rot (and Rotten Eggs) healing Wormwood for 4 hp per use has taken away any claim that he had to calling him a challenge Character.

Thats not even mentioning his other buffs like Immunity to Sanity drain from Wetness, forced blooming and making entire gardens worth of food grow by just walking around in them while in Bloomed out Mode.

If people bought Wormwood Because he was a Challenge character then this update effectively took him out of that role (I mean rot is rot and you’ll find it plentiful and everywhere just laying around)

I guess to be fair: it’s no different than other non-Wormwood, Warly or Wigfrid characters killing and eating butterflies: But it’s still feels incredibly broken.

I won’t complain too much about it though cause I’ve got this feeling Klei’s intention is to make the game easier as a Whole.. and then introduce some new harder content or game mode later.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

No, but the update came to Xbox and as I had predicted it would- Rot (and Rotten Eggs) healing Wormwood for 4 hp per use has taken away any claim that he had to calling him a challenge Character.

Thats not even mentioning his other buffs like Immunity to Sanity drain from Wetness, forced blooming and making entire gardens worth of food grow by just walking around in them while in Bloomed out Mode.

If people bought Wormwood Because he was a Challenge character then this update effectively took him out of that role (I mean rot is rot and you’ll find it plentiful and everywhere just laying around)

I guess to be fair: it’s no different than other non-Wormwood, Warly or Wigfrid characters killing and eating butterflies: But it’s still feels incredibly broken.

I won’t complain too much about it though cause I’ve got this feeling Klei’s intention is to make the game easier as a Whole.. and then introduce some new harder content or game mode later.

men, 4 heal during 4 seconds is op?

lets fight raid bosses using rot

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You are so good at predictions and seeing what is balanced and not, as you predicted he only needs to eat 1 rot every 4 seconds during 40 seconds to heal one Pierogi worth of HP. Having to heal mid fight with him must be a real breeze.

23 minutes ago, Picklesaurus said:

You are so good at predictions and seeing what is balanced and not, as you predicted he only needs to eat 1 rot every 4 seconds during 40 seconds to heal one Pierogi worth of HP. Having to heal mid fight with him must be a real breeze.

Pan flutes exist,  AND go ahead make fun of it, but no one can deny it gives him more utility then he ONCE had, It’s something he didn’t have before, that he has now.. that makes using him significantly easier.

Your pierogi also will not heal Wormwood at all by the way... Eating any food items only brings his hunger up but doesn’t effect his health.

(which is also why he can eat uncooked Red Caps for hunger and not suffer the Health drain from it)

Prior to this update Wormwood had to actually heal using healing tab items or tents or the highly ineffective poop he could smear on himself to recover 1 hp per poop.

Now- that is not the case at all a good stack of Rot and he can restore his own HP.

The changes made him less reliant on Wortox for heals.. and more easily accessible to players.

As the OP says- Wormwood is now really good for Solo players/ and these changes specifically made him that way in particular.

Rather that’s a good thing or a bad thing is entirely subjective to player opinion, but if Klei is happy with where Wormwood settles now amongst the game then my opinion and your opinion won’t matter because Klei has him right where they want him in terms of difficulty & playabilty.

Pan flutes exist

i will ignore this

one thing is that wormwood now is more confortable to play and other saying that the challenge is removed just because they did a change that makes sense (1st time i played as him i tried to heal with rot). Is just an overexaggeration

the only use for rot is to heal little wounds instead of acumulating it and then wasting a more grindy item but the challenge still there

I just want to say that if I wanted to play a challenge character I would play Wes instead of Wormwood.

I played wormwood because I liked the fantasy of a farmer who could mass produce uncommon foods.

The Reap what you Sow update reinforced the idea of making Wormwood the #1 farmer in the cast of characters.

His health problems tie with the fact that wormwood is a stay-at-base character, with the only things he’ll have to fight are hounds and base invaders.

If I go and fight raid bosses, I would rather bring honey poultices, gland medication, or Compost Wraps. Using rot as a primary healing source is an insane and wasteful idea.

Pan flutes exist,  AND go ahead make fun of it, but no one can deny it gives him more utility then he ONCE had, It’s something he didn’t have before, that he has now.. that makes using him significantly easier.

Sorry Mike, I wasn't trying to make fun of what you said, but I can see I worded it really badly.
I was rather trying to make you think about this statement:

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Rot (and Rotten Eggs) healing Wormwood for 4 hp per use has taken away any claim that he had to calling him a challenge Character.

I have been playing Wormwood since his arrival to dst and I can say he has never had difficulty healing since the bat bat buff.

1. Early game tents are great and it helps that he can eat monster meat with few down sides. This means that other survivers save time cooking for health and food. Wormwood wastes time by farming for a tent but saves time eating monster meat. I make ONE tent ever and its to raid the ruins for magi, crowns, and purple gems.

2. The fabulous, terrific, amazing bat bat! Every wormwood mains early to mid game healing item! You only need 2 purple gems and after killing dragonfly+ klaus you never need purple gems again! Plants some seeds to regain all the lost sanity. 

3. Late game all you need are healing salves and jelly beans. 20 bunnymen + 5 spiders dens for 2 seasons usually covers me for 2-3 years. Gather stacks (separate stacks in stacks of 20) of stone fruit and blow it with gunpowder (left over eggs for pengulls are more than enough) for tons of ash and stone. Currently every 2 harvest of 30 stone fruit bushes gets me 50+ salves so only 2 harvest every year (they grow in a little over a day).

4. I usually dont bother with compost wraps as it requires a bit more manual input. I have a moleworm peninsula with 30-40 moleworms but the gathering of poop can be a little annoying. I dont like having to manually gather 100 crops, dozens of light bulbs, collect monster meat, wait for the pigs to go through it, manage mushroom planters past mid game, etc. I let the poop passively collect from pigs cutting down lune trees and turn that into wraps.

5. Honey poultice: Dont bother.

So healing for wormwood has never been hard. He was never a challenge character to begin with in my opinion. Hes from hamlet after all, where he rains supreme. This added utility is not practical since you need to do a lot of standing around. Its definitely more beginner friendly and who is apposed to more wormwood love?    

Archived