So how do we *actually* land on the further out Planetoids?

So my understanding of the decision to move the "advanced" planetoids closer to the starting planetoid is that it was going to be a temporary change to allow us to test with them now, before more powerful rockets are introduced.

The problem is, unless I'm missing something very obvious, it's still impossible to actually land there, because of several factors.

For context, on my current survival world, using the trick of sending a CO2 rocket out a few tiles, stargazing in the area while my dupe slowly starves, and quickly calling the rocket back before my dupe completely runs out of calories, I was able to fully reveal the other planetoids. They are each four tiles away from the original planetoid, and at least 4 tiles (or more) away from any other planetoid.

So there's two ways we could try to send a rocket there in the current version. With a CO2 Rocket, we have enough distance to make it to the planetoid. They use about 25kg of CO2 per tile, and 4 tiles consumes the full range of 100kg of CO2. The rocket wouldn't be able to make a round trip, but initial expeditions to the Aluminum/Forest planetoid is always expected to be a one-way trip for the first few cycles anyways, so that's not super shocking. 

....... Except the CO2 rocket can't land at all. There's no rocket platform on the planet, and the module limit of 3 on the CO2 rocket means we can't put a Trailblazer module on it, so it's not possible to eject the dupe onto the planet. So we can get the rocket to the planet, and then it just stalls in orbit with no ability to get a dupe onto the planet so that a platform can be built.

If we instead go with a Sucrose rocket, we can get the correct modules we need, but we just can't get the distance. It's literally impossible for a Sucrose Rocket to reach 4 tiles away—again, unless I've missed something really important.

So are we just unable to test that part of the game, or is there something critical that I just don't know about?

2020.12.20-00.51.png

You need to send a salvo of rockets. Two  payload rockets with enough refined metal to build a platform, one with a trailblazer module so you can build a platform and one last module full of materials which will land and start a colony.

The last rocket will need to be loaded to the brim with food and materials to start your colony off. They will need to use the rocket as a base for the first few cyles.

4 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

You need to send a salvo of rockets. Two  payload rockets with enough refined metal to build a platform, one with a trailblazer module so you can build a platform and one last module full of materials which will land and start a colony.

The last rocket will need to be loaded to the brim with food and materials to start your colony off. They will need to use the rocket as a base for the first few cyles.

Can you be more specific? I already pointed out that the only rockets capable of reaching the planet can't have a Trailblazer module, and the only rockets that can have a trailblazer module can't reach the planet.

Your response here implies one of those statements isn't true. If one of them isn't true, which one is it, and why isn't it true?

2 minutes ago, Xirema said:

Can you be more specific? I already pointed out that the only rockets capable of reaching the planet can't have a Trailblazer module, and the only rockets that can have a trailblazer module can't reach the planet.

Your response here implies one of those statements isn't true. If one of them isn't true, which one is it, and why isn't it true?

CO2 engine, trailblazer and solo spacefarer module should get you there I believe. I -think- the game allows you to abandon rockets with no pilot.

Like Smithe37 said : CO2 engine+ trailblazer +solo spacefarer module

I don't think you could possibly built a colony to ice planet or magma planet. I just built a room for dupes to breath until there is enough CO2 to leave in ice planet. Then bring a CO2 rocket with spacefarer module where they can live more comfortably until they maintain the iron volcanos there (Haven't made the second trip to the same planet yet. My first successful trip is here )

Magma planet seems a bit more... hostile and I haven't managed yet to build a rocket platform successfully .. yet! :D

Spoiler

1455010772_fail2.thumb.JPG.8f688ab732140dce0a07938aaad25abf.JPG

47 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

CO2 engine, trailblazer and solo spacefarer module should get you there I believe. I -think- the game allows you to abandon rockets with no pilot.

Every time I've tried to build a rocket without an oxidizing tank, it reports not having enough fuel. How do the oxidizers work with the new rocket mechanics?

1 hour ago, sakura_sk said:

Like Smithe37 said : CO2 engine+ trailblazer +solo spacefarer module

I don't think you could possibly built a colony to ice planet or magma planet. I just built a room for dupes to breath until there is enough CO2 to leave in ice planet. Then bring a CO2 rocket with spacefarer module where they can live more comfortably until they maintain the iron volcanos there (Haven't made the second trip to the same planet yet. My first successful trip is here )

Magma planet seems a bit more... hostile and I haven't managed yet to build a rocket platform successfully .. yet! :D

Reveal hidden contents

1455010772_fail2.thumb.JPG.8f688ab732140dce0a07938aaad25abf.JPG

it's doable but a real challenge. Something that a player with 1000's of hours in this game really look forward to. I have plans around how I'm going to do it.. The key will be to bring lumber and enough starting materials to build a rocket platform and set up an ethanol distiller + petrol generators to power a rocket.

1 hour ago, Xirema said:

Every time I've tried to build a rocket without an oxidizing tank, it reports not having enough fuel. How do the oxidizers work with the new rocket mechanics?

There is a limit to how far it can go. It will display "not enough fuel" if it's outside its' travel limit.

7 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

The key will be to bring lumber and enough starting materials to build a rocket platform

I assumed you would have to sacrifice a dupe (one way trip) in order to drop materials but perhaps it would be possible if you landed two trailblazers..? (two rockets, two trailblazers 400kg refined metal each) I have to go play more :-D

17 minutes ago, Smithe37 said:

There is a limit to how far it can go. It will display "not enough fuel" if it's outside its' travel limit.

That's what I'm saying though, when I tried to build a rocket that was just an engine and a nosecone, even trying to go to the adjacent Forest planet it said "Insufficient fuel" when it didn't have an oxidizing tank (or oxidizer in a tank).

5 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I assumed you would have to sacrifice a dupe (one way trip) in order to drop materials but perhaps it would be possible if you landed two trailblazers..? (two rockets, two trailblazers 400kg refined metal each) I have to go play more :-D

Nope. If you can reach the planet, you can just leave it in orbit until you have enough platforms. Just make sure to load it up with enough supplies to last until you can land them.

1 minute ago, Xirema said:

That's what I'm saying though, when I tried to build a rocket that was just an engine and a nosecone, even trying to go to the adjacent Forest planet it said "Insufficient fuel" when it didn't have an oxidizing tank (or oxidizer in a tank).

It will likely be user error. Post a screenshot

Is this the starmap of a game started during the most recent patch? I remember them saying they brought the outer planetoids closer together so we can explore them with our basic rockets. They should also all be close enough to find with planetoid based telescopes.

6 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

It depends on the planet. In some cases you can also send 1 robot instead of 2 payloads. The robot can the collect the metal from volcanos and store them in a storage compactor and prepare some other stuff for your trailblazing dupe.

He can also prepare some more materials and even the outline of your starting base.

The trailblazer can then arrive afterwards with the next rocket and build the platform.

11 hours ago, Smithe37 said:

Nope. If you can reach the planet, you can just leave it in orbit until you have enough platforms. Just make sure to load it up with enough supplies to last until you can land them.

It will likely be user error. Post a screenshot

Alright, I figured out the confusion.

Sucrose Rockets require oxidizer, CO2 Rockets do not. In hindsight that seems kind of obvious, but there's no tooltips in the game to indicate that.

I guess every time I tested rocket distance, I used Sucrose engines, and (incorrectly) deduced that oxidizer was required for both types, not just the one.

2 outer planets can be made accessible in one trip. Niobium one is another story

Spoiler

3 outer planets are on 4 cell distance. It is only CO2 engine can traverse that far in the current game and it is only one way trip (before landing).

2 planets can be easily set up with just one rocket - CO2 engine, trailblazer and single pilot module. Storage bins are to contain enough preserved food (the more is the better) and enough Oxygen generation (I use morbs as limitless polluted oxygen supply). Also I would load 400kg of glass, some ore (1t, for example).

Send the ship to the orbit and then drop a dup to the surface in the trailblazer module. Both these two asteroids have enough oxygen for one dup to survive for a while. No exosuit is necessary. 

Ice - Iron planet. There is enough iron to build the rocket platform. Change the dup schedule to work without any break and let it dig through the ice cap and collect iron. There are pockets of oxygen and p oxygen which will help the dup to survive. Do no break the cap of the topmost volcano as it may be a problem later to build a top cover (from igneous rock or granite that are available on the asteroid). Currently there are only iron volcanoes and no other renewable sources of materials, water, oxygen - it does not make sense to build a permanent base there unless you like it.

Then you build the platform and let the rocket land from the orbit (and change the dup schedule back to normal). Now you have food (hopefully you stored enough getting ready for the trip) and room temperature to sleep albeit on the floor. Now it is time to pump some CO2 for the return trip. There are some CO2 pockets in the ice mass you can tap to. I generally bring some ore and glass with me and build solar panels and two gas pumps on both sides of the rocket platform and gas storage to recover CO2 for the next trips. To finalize your work before heading back to the home base, I do recommend to build an igneous or granite cap at the top to prevent steam evaporating to the space if you let one of the volcanoes working.

Wolfram planet - same as above and even easier. Just one thing to watch out - you need to dig through refined metal tiles to collect metal for platforms. This implies that the pilot should have advanced digging skills (in my case it is digger with one pilot skill) and do not destroy the 2 tile at volcanos - let them be inactive. 

I do believe Klei will rework these outer worlds as they are not sustainable as it is - unless you do some tricky work or use special features (like morbs for oxygen and food, pips for resource free plantations, etc.)

Update on colonizing the niobium planet. I have done it - albeit with some very stressed dupes and poop stained exosuits.
There was a few 100kg of polluted water in their exosuits.
I managwed to send them back to the homeworld and will be back to finish building a nicer base and excavating.

image.thumb.png.65e3317039a3bae55b5bdbdc11b82d5a.png

Nice work @Smithe37. I managed to land on the niobium planet and make it home alive today as well. I don't know if I'll try for a permanent colony though - I think my aim will be just enough to support round trips for resource extraction.

The way I did it was

Spoiler

send two rockets, each with a trailblazer module. I brought extra fuel by temporarily building a canister emptier in the nosecone, requesting delivery of CO2 to it, and canceling after the dupe got in the capsule but before finishing the delivery, so that they would drop the bottle in the capsule. I also packed algae for oxygen diffusers, berry sludge, curative tablets in case of food poisoning, plus obsidian, steel, wolframite, and glass for construction.

After arriving on the planet, I deployed both trailblazers, deconstructed them to build a rocket platform, and landed the rocket carrying the construction payload. I planned on partially deconstructing the rocket to gain access to the nosecone, but that turned out not to be necessary - I was able to mine enough obsidian from the surface to build a ladder. I built a small structure next to the platform with a canister emptier, gas pump, solar panel, and pipe to the rocket engine, then emptied the bottled CO2 into it and sent the dupes back into the rocket to de-stress while it refueled. Total time spent on the surface was about 3 cycles.

I didn't come home with any niobium, but I did scout out where to find it, and the empty platform left behind opens up a lot of options for future landings.

On 12/22/2020 at 1:08 PM, Smithe37 said:

Update on colonizing the niobium planet. I have done it - albeit with some very stressed dupes and poop stained exosuits.
There was a few 100kg of polluted water in their exosuits.
I managwed to send them back to the homeworld and will be back to finish building a nicer base and excavating.

image.thumb.png.65e3317039a3bae55b5bdbdc11b82d5a.png

How do you stay cool in such a place?

6 hours ago, sheepsy90 said:

How do you stay cool in such a place?

The gas-free tiles ( the space tiles = vacuum tiles ) do not transfer heat and the ladders are magma temperature resistant or crumble and drop down over time.

The screenshot looks "hot", but there is no heat transfer happening from the magma. A bit may crawl up the ladders and the pipes, that is it. One can leave empty space between the ladders to avoid any heat creep, for the dupe`s to jump.

Once you play in "Space" or create "Vacuum rooms in your base"... you will understand this better my dear friend :p

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Space_Biome

Some ONi players tend to rip open their fridge door at home in a split second, attempts to create an temporary vacuum inside the fridge. It is also common that some ONi players have levitating fridges at home, to simulate ONi in real life. A good ONI player has dozens of ladders at home, some made from wood and others out of metals = "Ladder Fetish".

Funny enough I actually have a sofa elevated on aluminium ladders at home, its true.

All workers at scaffolding companies and the pipe heating installers are secretly ONi addicted and chose the profession to play ONi during work hours in real life with their building materials.

@mathmanican Perhaps math wants to mention how many ladders he has at home :confused::confused::confused:

:cower: BTW still no bulldozers, escalators, bridges, cranes, elevators or railway in the game !!! :grief:

Press "Yes" now if you want to have instant DLC Regolith & Multiplayer or "No" for Radiation/Reactorz/All-rocketz first or press "696969" to talk to an Klei operator and ask for everything. Many thanks :rolleyes:

:cheerful: Dupe Smith :love_heart: @minespatch

1 hour ago, babba said:

Perhaps math wants to mention how many ladders he has at home

As few as possible. I'm actually scared of heights, and physically get ill when I go up ladders.  Found out in college when I went wall climbing and spent the next 4 hours recovering from a panic attack.  :) 

13 hours ago, babba said:

A good ONI player has dozens of ladders at home, some made from wood and others out of metals = "Ladder Fetish".

Sorry, no ladders despite

10264.thumb.png.4e72b26082b64c412308dfeda66e1eb8.png

I guess I am just a very persistent bad ONI player ;-)

10 hours ago, mathmanican said:

As few as possible. I'm actually scared of heights, and physically get ill when I go up ladders.  Found out in college when I went wall climbing and spent the next 4 hours recovering from a panic attack.  :) 

I know the feeling math...In the young years of the famous Griswolds, Dad wanted to have thousands of Christmas lights put up in the tall garden fir trees !

Ladder up and down, up and down, up and down - It was like in Donkey Kong...But without the rolling barrels ! Was dizzy for ages :cower::emptiness::cower:

image.thumb.png.53ab35a83e3339515cb9fc7907c7ba5a.png

Archived