Will DST get Big DLCs Too?

Yes I know, Klei describing characters as "DLC" but I don't talk about it, I talk about big DLCs like we have in Single Player Don't Starve (HAM, RoG, SW).
Last night I saw Oxygen Not Included's spaced out DLC and to be honest, I hyped for a game I didn't ever played. More concept always make me excite about games and I'm thinking about buying Oxygen Not Included in this steam winter sale.
Does Klei have any plan like this about Don't Starve Together? Did they said anything I missed?

It sort of already has, both ANR and RoT cover the bases for "Big DLCs" the only difference is that Klei is kind enough to offer them for free and that they expand upon the core RoG temperate forest experience rather than making cool "what ifs" like SW and HAM were.

The game has been getting massive free content additions for years (fuelweaver and everything around him, ocean and everything that goes with that, now the new cave biomes, the farming rework), and then people start threads like this. :-(

Having said that, Oxygen Not Included is an amazing game, and you should buy it right now!

Uhm, the big DLC’s have been the Return of Them updates. They said that they weren’t going to do paid dlcs, because they don’t want to split their player base between who has and who does not have DLC content.

I believe Klei’s original intentions in saying this was that “hey we don’t want to force you to have to buy this expansion to play with your friends.”

However- Things can always change, just look at Minecraft as an example, I have bought sooooo many dlc bundles in Minecraft BECAUSE my friends invited me to their game showing off that DLC.

Klei has probably been looking at it like for example a Destiny 2 or Elder Scrolls Online DLC where if you don’t own it, you can’t play in that area..

And that’s just not the way Minecraft has been doing it’s DLCs, only the HOST needs to own it- for everyone else all it takes is a couple extra loading frames of “Downloading DLC Assets” 

Theres no splitting the fan base- because people who don’t own the DLCs can still join and play that content with people who do own it, however just like with Minecraft- If you want to continue to play that DLC after the host who owns it leaves you will have to buy it for yourself.

Think of it as sort of a “demo” before buying.. its lead me to buy several DLCs for Minecraft that I had questioned the quality of.

My ultimate dream is that they’ll update Shipwrecked and Hamlet to be compatible with DST, and that if you own SW or Ham you have access to all those playable characters plus some SW/Ham themed exclusive skins, people who don’t own the DLCs, can opt to buy the DLCs, Or.. they can weave the characters like Wortox, Wurt & Wormwood.

In fact- If the Forge event became a paid DLC that only I needed to own but all my friends can join and play, well let’s just say Klei would quickly discover how Minecraft’s DLC’s work.

I would love to see bigger paid DLC expansions for DST... the only thing I believe Klei said they did not want to do is separate their players between a paywall.

Which wouldn’t be a problem if people who don’t own the expansion can still join and play that content with people who do. <3

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Text

I think same like you. They can share Hamlet and Shipwrecked (Specially hamlet) as a multiplayer DLC with few updates and fixes, which player can play in a different "server" mods and which that makes players without that DLC will not be able to play it. 
While I was talking about DLC, I meaned a new playstyle, an addon to the game; Not huge content updates. I mean none of them change all game work.

Question for Shipwrecked dlc - [Don't Starve] Shipwrecked - Klei  Entertainment Forums

And even if the thing I say be real, Klei should still be focus on their vanilla game in my opinion. They can update and fix few things in DLCs and don't bother with it so much. Mods can be cancerous and they crashes after every update. For example this farming update make the hamlet mod instant crash when you join to the world.

And I'm not sure it's gonna split out characters. It's gonna be an alternative game to play. Those things are usual in most of game. L4D2 have 9 different gameplay modes (and I don't even talk about community gameplays and mutations). And I can give tons of example game to you guys. Also if you think it would be forcing people, this thing the Mike23Ua saying makes a pretty nice solutions.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Theres no splitting the fan base- because people who don’t own the DLCs can still join and play that content with people who do own it, however just like with Minecraft- If you want to continue to play that DLC after the host who owns it leaves you will have to buy it for yourself.

2 hours ago, Fuffles said:

As long as we support them by purchasing skins, characters and what else they offer, Im sure they will continue to make more DLC's such as Return of Them and A New Reign 

Yes but will a new dlc cause to making town and buying stuff from markets while discovering temples? If the answer will be yes, I would leave game because it's would kill all style of game. But if they add it as different playable mod, I would say yes and buy it fast I can.

5 hours ago, Majestix said:

The game has been getting massive free content additions for years (fuelweaver and everything around him, ocean and everything that goes with that, now the new cave biomes, the farming rework), and then people start threads like this. :-(

Having said that, Oxygen Not Included is an amazing game, and you should buy it right now!

If you talk about ungratefullnes of me, I just condemn you. I wasn't talk about new updates, all of them are great and make RETURN OF THEM more and more enjoyfull. BUT It's making RoT better and enjoy of "Hamlet" and vanilla game is pretty different, you just cant blame me by don't liking the new updates.

I'm just asking for new gameplay styles for game, specially old ones that we are familiar and make game more "colorfull".

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

RoT is our big dlc

I don't think so.

6 hours ago, JosePapp said:

It sort of already has, both ANR and RoT cover the bases for "Big DLCs" the only difference is that Klei is kind enough to offer them for free and that they expand upon the core RoG temperate forest experience rather than making cool "what ifs" like SW and HAM were.

That's why I said specially Shipwrecked because like I allways said, SW just feels like alternative version of RoT. But hamlet is not, hamlet is just really different and have huge pottentials to playing. Also I'm not sure you understand it (maybe it's bc of me), I don't ask for piling hamlet stuff to DST, I'm asking for a "choosable" gamemode at the server menu which ask us which gamemode we want to play.

It's is a bit late for me, sorry if I misunderstand you guys or killed enlish.

33 minutes ago, Slagger said:

Yes but will a new dlc cause to making town and buying stuff from markets while discovering temples? If the answer will be yes, I would leave game because it's would kill all style of game. But if they add it as different playable mod, I would say yes and buy it fast I can.

AS if the Hamlet Artstyle wasnt already leaking into the game :wilson_tranquil:

Archived