Now Gardens, Next Houses!

Hello everyone! I was just wanting to see the general consensus on what everyone feels about houses being added into DST. They first made there appearance in Hamlet and another appearance in the Don't Starve: Homecoming trailer. 

I believe it is more than possible given we now have "community projects" within the game (things like the Celestial Gateway and Merm Kings mat), and I believe this would be a hearty resource sink for those players looking to make one, possibly making it challenging to speedrun due to the amount of wood/gold needed to craft. I know there would be a lot of work going into the balancing and designs needed to implement these, but a few years ago we never imagined having the sea to explore and here we are! 

What does everyone else think about houses being in DST? :wilson_laugh:

I think Hamlet's Slanty Shanties, in their current state, would be super out of place thematically and balance-wise in DST. But I'd really like to see a new take on houses as a general concept, as more of group project with that hint of DST "realism" in the construction and such.

7 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

What if they consider adding official houses or small castle structures? funny

Yep! I would love if they added houses like they have them in Hamlet!

5 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I think Hamlet's Slanty Shanties, in their current state, would be super out of place thematically and balance-wise in DST. But I'd really like to see a new take on houses as a general concept, as more of group project with that hint of DST "realism" in the construction and such.

I definitely agree. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how skins would work for houses if they where to be added in as they are in Hamlet. Would the house itself need to be built with the skin as most items or would there be default skins for it as we see for the Slanty Shanties?

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont really like them. They fit in hamlet but breaks the game in many ways (not only balance, klei fix singleplayer)

I'm curious as to the approach they will be adding them to Don't Starve: Homecoming.

Maybe that's the devs testing grounds?

I've always wanted a basement for the boats. As it is right now you can already fit everything you need on it and more. You can fit like 20 chests, a fire pit, 2 fridges, 2 fishin bins, an alchemy engine, a shadow manipulator, a bird cage, a lightning rod, two crock pots, a drying rack, and a pinchin' winch, and a bit more. So the basement wouldn't really add anything onto the boats, it'd just make the boats look prettier and allow people other than the enlightened to make a proper boat base.

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I've always wanted a basement for the boats. As it is right now you can already fit everything you need on it and more. You can fit like 20 chests, a fire pit, 2 fridges, 2 fishin bins, an alchemy engine, a shadow manipulator, a bird cage, a lightning rod, two crock pots, a drying rack, and a pinchin' winch, and a bit more. So the basement wouldn't really add anything onto the boats, it'd just make the boats look prettier and allow people other than the enlightened to make a proper boat base.

I like that idea. I found a amazing post a few months ago on here showing how to put everything you would ever need on a boat but unfortunately I forgot to screenshot it. They even posted the order in which one needs to craft everything. 

It. Was. Clean.

22 hours ago, toughguy290 said:

I like that idea. I found a amazing post a few months ago on here showing how to put everything you would ever need on a boat but unfortunately I forgot to screenshot it. They even posted the order in which one needs to craft everything. 

It. Was. Clean.

I need that guide.

For houses I'd say... mmmmaybe? Definitely not Hamlet style ones, and maybe instead we would have a non-dimensional-breaking houses, where the space they have is proportional to what they take outside. The transition between entering and leaving would be seamless since you wouldn't get teleported to some void where an actual room is located.

Why would you bother making this? Maybe they would need a stupid amount of wood and stone (say, the same as for Pig House minus the skins for one tile?), but they could be expanded endlessly and they would give moderate protection against summer and winter, and immunity to rain. It would be destructable, so hounds would be able to break down walls and building over Dragonfly's lair would end up horribly.

Now that is just a rough idea. I bet if something like this would be implemented, then someone would make a gigantic warehouse, or just create tunnels to all points of interests to minimize enviromental threats. But then... if you made those things, you would make a megabase and would want to optimize everything.

11 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

I need that guide.

For houses I'd say... mmmmaybe? Definitely not Hamlet style ones, and maybe instead we would have a non-dimensional-breaking houses, where the space they have is proportional to what they take outside. The transition between entering and leaving would be seamless since you wouldn't get teleported to some void where an actual room is located.

Why would you bother making this? Maybe they would need a stupid amount of wood and stone (say, the same as for Pig House minus the skins for one tile?), but they could be expanded endlessly and they would give moderate protection against summer and winter, and immunity to rain. It would be destructable, so hounds would be able to break down walls and building over Dragonfly's lair would end up horribly.

Now that is just a rough idea. I bet if something like this would be implemented, then someone would make a gigantic warehouse, or just create tunnels to all points of interests to minimize enviromental threats. But then... if you made those things, you would make a megabase and would want to optimize everything.

I would love the hypothetical houses to take a large amount of gold/stone. I have way to much laying around and I think it would add a sense of waste and personal touch to the world. 

I do agree tho, I'm coming to realize if they are added it cannot be in the sense of what we have in Hamlet.

I have different skins for both pig and bunnyman houses- if a pig house can look like a log cabin or a bunny hut can be a towering Carrat I’m certain any other type house won’t be too far out of place..

Ironically I just bought fallout 76 and in that game you can set up a C.A.M.P it lets you build a house in the world and decorate it, but when you leave the game- your entire built camp leaves with you.

I thought this was pretty cool because people can’t break into and steal your stuff if your not online to defend it.

Now I don’t know how the houses worked in Hamlet (I haven’t played a lot of Hamlet) but- I think having our own house that was the size of a Pigman/Bunnyman/Merm Hut on the outside that was HUGE on the Inside and Decorate-able would be nice.

The hardcore uncompromising players will cry but then darkness and hound waves are never a challenge again- and to those players I must ask what’s your point?

I can already turn Off hound waves and set the game to daylight only... would houses really be as broken as your making them out to be?

In Survival mode maybe.. but even given that you can still place A Boat Flag created Street light onto dry land or Mushlight, and create traps or houndious to deal with hound waves..

What a house would effectively allow us to do is store our belongings and not have to worry about other players stealing them away from us.

And just like Fallout 76, you can only have one camp at any given time, you can relocate your camp elsewhere.. but otherwise it would be a small indestructible, unburnable Mermshack sized structure.

You can forget any sort of logic involved, because if you’ve ever played as Wurt you’ll see 4-5 Merms spawn out of the same shack.

#VideoGame Logic.

Klei could at least do a Beta for it in DST and if it goes over well in Beta make it official, but if it goes disastrous scrap the idea altogether and strip it from the record books like they did Warbucks. :lol:

I like the concept of houses, and I had fun playing around with house mods derived from Hamlet a while back. That said, I'm not a fan of importing houses the way they are into DST since just being in a house protects you from almost every environmental hazard that defines DST at such a low cost.

If there was a new, well-thought-out housing system that had reasonable benefits and simultaneously difficult micro-obstacles to overcome and/or new DST challenges that incentivize housing, I'd be down for it. 

On 12/5/2020 at 4:44 AM, toughguy290 said:

how to put everything you would ever need on a boat but unfortunately I forgot to screenshot it

Are you talking about this one?
https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/121049-not-so-troubling-waters-an-updated-and-expanded-guide-to-advanced-ocean-fishing-and-survival-at-sea/

God no, the game has strayed far from Don't Starve's original hostile wilderness setting, but houses would snap it in half.

Hamlet "works" because its a completely separate expansion with its own separate style. I would hate to see it come to DST, it just doesn't belong.

edit: Sorry, that came off really negative. Houses really take away from the survival wilderness setting, same with stuff like critters, and while some players find that stuff fun, others are starkly opposed to it, and I just hope that Klei will respect Don't Starves origins, and not add houses.

I strongly disagree 

SW contents are just a different version of RoG. You kill a shark to get eye instead of deerclops or you got boars instead of pigmens. And because of these reasons most of SW mechanics could be added into DST. But hamlet is totally different game. It's based on exploring and capitalism. Most of stuff will break the game if it's added, like shopping because gold is common and adding house system is worst. It's just breaking darkness system, hound system,  boss system (that's probably why we don't have seasonal bosses) and other systems. Players can fend off all those mechanics by entering the house. And a cozy house will kill "being hopeless" feel of the game.

A house would be 100% welcome for me. I hate megabases. I really hate megabases. With a passion I hate them. They're quickly turning into the endgame and they're making this game into a manufacturing simulator. I absolutely love the idea of towns in this game and have tried my hand at creating neighborhoods. 

But without dwellings, it's really just a decoration without a way for you to fit in.

I also would love to have houses for my regular guests. They're all reluctant to build what they want to build because their styles may risk clashing with my own, but also, I don't want their builds clashing with my own either. Having houses would allow my players to express their creativity in a space of their own. I would absolutely appreciate that and I think that they would too.

Having an interesting way to safeguard your equipment as well in a house would be another welcome addition. You wouldn't totally need to lug around your items in fear of someone taking them when you're absent.

Now; let's address the elephant in the room which is apparently already being brought up; Hamlet. I'll admit it. Hamlet houses are overtuned. There is a pronounced lack of danger in them. You can choose to hide from bosses and hounds that way until you're 100% prepped to deal with them. I remember 1 occasion in reign of giants, I stayed in the house for the whole summer. It wasn't anyone's idea of don't starve, but it was a memorable experience for me. Having said that, I dodged wildfires that way just being in the house.

To combat this, I'd probably introduce mechanics to make the interior itself a danger. Low sanity would straight out lock the doors preventing escape, perhaps to simulate insanity and refusal to go outside. Special nightmare creatures in addition to what would spawn normally. Perhaps wall monsters that try to attack you when you are too close to walls. Attempts of burning anything in the house creates toxic smog to punish temperature management with fires, making them less than ideal for keeping warm or cool indoors. I'd be open to scaled furnaces indoors. I think that's a welcome addition. Allow the house to be pitch black as early as dusk to add incentive to keeping some sort of light source that isn't an open flame.

Those are just a few suggestions to try to balance the indoors. Lock out a few features from interiors such as pigmen houses or bunny hutches. Anything that would be out of place inside a house, just eliminate.

Chests, crockpots, iceboxes would be great to have in a house to avoid the typical megabase look. Chest areas take up too much exterior space and are quite frankly, the biggest eyesore in this game. Having a house to compartmentalize these ugly additions would be a godsend.

OP, @toughguy290 you wouldn't have asked for opinions about houses if you didn't want them in base dst and I think you're a little bit too convinced by the people who don't want it in.

Shelter is almost quintessential to survival in circumstances where you're going to be living in any given area for an indefinite period of time.
Houses make perfect sense if they take enough time not to be rushed. Perhaps have it locked behind the second autumn to quell the complaints of the purists. Making it past the first year is a solid enough milestone to earn the privilege of being able to erect a dwelling.

But as I said earlier, not make it a carbon copy of hamlet in the sense of mechanics. Add unique dangers to the house, different methods of survival inside the house and perhaps a punishment for staying indoors for too long. 

I truly think we're due for houses, but not the sort that will eliminate danger and something earned with time and effort.

pv2.thumb.PNG.a1722f0066c8a974719b8f1a89db8f8a.PNG

pv1.PNG

There are a wealth of ideas I have for houses in dst. A build such as this would benefit so much from dwellings.

And given the multiplayer nature of dst, you can have non npc neighbors. Or choose to have npc neighbors in pigmen, bunnymen, merms or even Pearl.

The concession I'll reserve for a lack of houses in base dst would be technical limitations. If they cannot be done well yet, that's that. It's a shame, but it's something that's acceptable. 

If they can however be added in all their glory, I'm welcoming them with OPEN arms. 

image.png

And I think every player should consider what it would add to the game after the survival aspect of the game is wrapped up as it usually is after all bosses are defeated. Have it be a prize for completing the mysterious energy objective. Make it unfeasible for every single world to reserve this as a goal.

39 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Nope.

DS isn't The Sims.

Hamlet gets a pass because it's a optional spin-off.

Technically Hamlet takes place in the skies above RoG.. and isn’t really a spin-off but rather it’s own “Advanced” community in the skies above.

Never once is it hinted that Hamlet takes place in the past or future- You get there by taking a sky worthy which is just a nice air balloon not the car from back to the future.

Anyways- I think houses in DST would be awesome especially if they behaved like fallout 76 Camps.

You also have to keep in mind that Klei wants Cross-Platform play to become a thing in DST someday, and with Crossplay means players on PS4 and Xbox One who are limited to only 6 people Max servers, will be able to Join a world hosted from PC that supports many more then our 6 cap.

HOUSES would be welcomed.. despite what the Naysayers say- If the above paragraph is the Future of this franchise, I think even the ones saying “No” Will warm up to and welcome their addition.

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Technically Hamlet takes place in the skies above RoG.. and isn’t really a spin-off but rather it’s own “Advanced” community in the skies above.

Never once is it hinted that Hamlet takes place in the past or future- You get there by taking a sky worthy which is just a nice air balloon not the car from back to the future.

Anyways- I think houses in DST would be awesome especially if they behaved like fallout 76 Camps.

You also have to keep in mind that Klei wants Cross-Platform play to become a thing in DST someday, and with Crossplay means players on PS4 and Xbox One who are limited to only 6 people Max servers, will be able to Join a world hosted from PC that supports many more then our 6 cap.

HOUSES would be welcomed.. despite what the Naysayers say- If the above paragraph is the Future of this franchise, I think even the ones saying “No” Will warm up to and welcome their addition.

spin-off
noun
  1. a byproduct or incidental result of a larger project.

4 minutes ago, Well-met said:
spin-off
noun
  1. a byproduct or incidental result of a larger project.

You would be right maybe, if Warly and both Wormwood were never added to the game, having them in DST means that Klei officially acknowledges the spin-off worlds they come from as being part of DST’s lore and considered part of a continuation to the larger project.

And the way I see things: DS, DS Shipwrecked, DS Hamlet, DST are all Klei official products (DS NewHome is Not..)

And they can use whatever assets or features they want from those franchise official features to further expand upon DST if they choose.

People can already host worlds where it’s Autumn 24/7, Giants never spawn at all and there’s no Darkness or Hound waves..

How much more broken could having houses be?

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People can already host worlds where it’s Autumn 24/7, Giants never spawn at all and there’s no Darkness or Hound waves..

How much more broken could having houses be?

nobody does that

and, once again, the vast majority of online servers use default settings. The gameplay intended by Klei.

21 minutes ago, Well-met said:

nobody does that

and, once again, the vast majority of online servers use default settings. The gameplay intended by Klei.

You obviously heavily underestimate Xbox one players.

PC players may be used to having a menu full of features they can tinker around with and toggle more/less on/off, but for Xbox/Playstation? It is very very rare that you are going to find a game that has that degree of customization available to you.

And because it is very rare- People playing on Xbox toy with these things Often, in addition XBOX Does not, and has never had Klei Official or Dedicated Servers- They just don’t exist... Period.

Meaning ALL rooms are hosted by a host player- and should that host leave or disconnect, everyone gets booted back to the main menu screen.

You will rarely ever find an Xbox one server (because they’re all mostly short lived and hosted only for as long as the host is online) that is NOT using custom settings.

And your ignore my argument of if I can already turn off every season, turn off giants, turn off darkness and hound waves- How could having a house option possible be anymore broken?

In fact: They could add it in that very same world settings menu I toggle on/off more/less of and just have it turned Off by default so it doesn’t effect your precious default settings- but it would still be there for the people who want to toggle them on.

Same as all the world Gen settings I just mentioned.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

And your ignore my argument of if I can already turn off every season, turn off giants, turn off darkness and hound waves- How could having a house option possible be anymore broken?

because nobody who actually wants to play and enjoy the game will turn every threat off

14 minutes ago, Well-met said:

because nobody who actually wants to play and enjoy the game will turn every threat off

This is entirely up to personal opinion: Your idea of what you find to be fun and entertaining will not always match someone else’s idea of what’s fun and entertaining. And you shouldn’t expect people to adhere to “My way or the Highway”

People will play HOW they want to play, WHEN they feel like playing that way- Somedays I want a hardcore survival simulator, others I just want a peaceful chill base building project with my significantly less skilled friends.

It is not and never has been about “Git Gud Noob” it’s about having fun.

And who are you or I to say what other people would or wouldn’t find fun? 
OP wants houses- I’m providing detailed reasoning as to why they don’t sound so far fetched.

I’m trying to contribute to and be helpful to the OPs suggestion.. rather then simply saying “People that actually want to play and enjoy the game Dont do so & so”

Ive completed every achievement in DST.. I’ve done everything on that list- and if Klei ever decides to add new achievements I will complete those too, there’s a ton of content in the game I probably haven’t experienced.. but I’ve done enough to fully platinum DST- And soon also DS.

Spoiler

D89CFBB9-359C-4C2F-A93D-4C9DDA3D2461.thumb.png.a26d8e0fb31ae3425c6c875a1a307c58.png

Obviously if I want a house, and Klei ultimately feels there should be a house in their game, then faiths will be sealed that let there be house!

(Ps please don’t try to force playstyles & opinions onto other players, your idea of what’s fun may not match other people’s idea of what’s fun and that’s perfectly fine- that’s why we have a huge community of people wanting to see many different things happen for this game :love_heart:)

Archived