[Experimental] - 443979

• Developer

Hey Grifters!

Happy weekend! The big balance swings are slowing down now, at least for Sal. We're just checking in some small changes now to settle before we lock our build for the release.

The next update after this one will come out in January, and will be the penultimate day of Smith. Hang on to your eyestalks, we're almost there!

CARDS

• Luminitiate Coin: revised
  • Fix Cha-Ching! not updating your shill amount on the main overlay immediately.
  • Fixed incorrect description and effect on makeshift_dagger_plus

GAMEPLAY

• Added two new mettle upgrades that increase health gain from eating and resolve gain from drinking
  • the change in dayphase on Sal's 3rd day now happens when you leave for the docks
  • Cost of Fssh cakes slightly increased.  Fssh cakes now restore 30 health.
  • Noodle cost increased slightly.
  • Healing spring restoration increased slightly.
  • Defect is no longer removed if the attack is evaded 
  • The Automech Boss' shield now also blocks any debuffs
  • Adjusted the MONSTERS and YOTES combat parties for day 1
  • Convo options in handler_spree_prisoner_exchange.lua now preview relationship changes

UI

• Adding icons to the Controls and Mods tabs in the options screen

View full update

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GL Happy 2

I tried out an archenemy run, and Have some thoughts...just some.

First of all, bugged a little. This got me the achievement in sal's run.20201204200155_1.thumb.jpg.0a3adf79c12703c15b5209a39d6094c1.jpg

Second of all, it's very RNG dependant. Every fight you either get banes or a murder card. However, you can save scum to get only banes from fights instead of murder cards, so it got repetitive, especially when I got into a crunch and had to grind nadan's minions for a few extra banes.

Third of all, Banes just aren't as impactful as a I thought. Granted, I had a rather smashing deck for both battle and negotiation, with a bluster and uppercuts, but still. the banes barely hurt me, despite how many I had. The bigger worry at kashio was not the fact I was bogged down by 19 different banes, but that the boss accidentally had Blast Chamber.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

Third of all, Banes just aren't as impactful as a I thought. Granted, I had a rather smashing deck for both battle and negotiation, with a bluster and uppercuts, but still. the banes barely hurt me, despite how many I had.

The thing about banes is that they vary wildly. Just look at your pic: the 2 Clerks give Red Tape which doesn't even stack, let alone hamper you if you work for Nadan; the Guards lower the HP of your allies, which just means that you shouldn't rely on allies. Now, compare that to the banes given by Patrol Leaders and Goons, who reduce your Defense gain and give enemies Power, and these stack

Same with the Spree: Captain's Terrorized makes Spree dislike you, who cares; Thug's Marked makes Spree have less Panic, which is noticeable but far from world ending; Raider's Brutality increasing the cost of Status cards is imperceptible if you don't have any status cards; and Thief is probably the worst one to get with their Outwitted pinning random cards, especially for Rook and Smith with their 3 energy limit (the pinned card being a Status and having synergy with Raider's bane). All of these boons stack tho, and the more stacks you have the worse it gets.

Hell, getting Laborer's Whispered rumors at the start of Day 1, which gives enemies a 6 Resolve argument that deals 2-6 damage to you every turn, could put an end to your tongue twisting career on the spot. And this bloody thing stacks, too. So I really hope that the achievement allows you to dispatch the haters instead of having to finish the run with them being alive, cause the run could get sick nasty real quick if you get the bad banes.

I don't like how incredibly short Sal's day 2 is now, in my last run Oolo sent me to negotiate with one single Spree and then it was already nighttime and time to head back to get potentially assassinated. It barely even feels like a day!

If Sal's second day is really just going to be a single mission and a boss fight then either that single mission should be guaranteed to be actually substantial or the random Murkot/Rise event should always spawn on day 2 instead of on a random day.

I also think the price for purchasing Mettle in Plundak's store should get a look at again, last time I checked the price in Brawl is 400 for 10 Mettle yet in campaign you get deals like 200 for 2 Mettle and 400 for 4 Mettle. 100 per Mettle is just overcharging and the quantities bought on early days in the campaign are also entirely insubstantial.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rook the Bogger said:

Day 1 of posting memes until Gorgula and Gnak will have their original names back (yes, this will be daily).

1872315826_Zrzutekranu2020-12-04095816.thumb.png.1d243917733488ec718c8c1059a8293d.png

There are actually 3 of em: Phrylotas, Phryna, and Phryniwin. And it's actually not strange at all if you look at Oolo and Foolo from the Oolowano family, who are sister and brother. It's safe to assume that the 3 Phrys are part of the Phry-something family.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Then you got Smith, who's rest of his family has pretty out there French names.

Yeah, Banquods' names don't fit into this Kradeshi naming scheme at all, especially Smith's. Their story is still being developed, perhaps it'll change, or perhaps it'll be revealed that the Banquod family were some kinda iconoclasts.

Just now, RageLeague said:

That doesn't mean much, considering humans sometimes name twins or siblings with similar names as well.

You don't see the difference between naming your kids Joan Greenwood/John Greenwood and Joawood Greenwood/Johwood Greenwood?

• Developer

Just pushed a very small update that adds UI for leaderboards in the daily challenge screen, and adds back the event to sal's day 2. 

The motivation behind all of the speedup stuff with the first half of the sal campaign is twofold:

1) To make individual runs faster, so that you can do more of them and explore the dynamic storytelling. Griftlands has a somewhat strange run length - it's short for an RPG, but long for a Rogulike/lite. In my recent plays, Sal's runs have felt a bit draggy towards the middle/end, once your deck is mostly done and you're biding your time for the Kashio confrontation.

2) Adjust the difficulty curve by reducing early-game card drafting. In my recent Sal games, I have found that my deck mostly stabilizes somewhere between day 2 and 3. That's not great, because it means that you're just executing your deck and finishing upgrades for almost half of the run. I'm trying to push that boundary out a bit. It'll never get to the end of a run, given the nature of deckbuilders, but I think that the game should still be offering you useful picks throughout day 3, at least.

Anyways, I always tune by binary search, so some back-and-forth adjustments are inevitable. Thanks for bearing with, while we find the right numbers!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Wavey 1

1 hour ago, ZeppMan217 said:

You don't see the difference between naming your kids Joan Greenwood/John Greenwood and Joawood Greenwood/Johwood Greenwood?

By the way, the last name of Oolo is Ollowano, completely different from Oolo.

Besides, the sample size is one, and you can't really find a correlation from that.

• Shopcat 1

Just pushed a very small update that adds UI for leaderboards in the daily challenge screen, and adds back the event to sal's day 2. 

The motivation behind all of the speedup stuff with the first half of the sal campaign is twofold:

1) To make individual runs faster, so that you can do more of them and explore the dynamic storytelling. Griftlands has a somewhat strange run length - it's short for an RPG, but long for a Rogulike/lite. In my recent plays, Sal's runs have felt a bit draggy towards the middle/end, once your deck is mostly done and you're biding your time for the Kashio confrontation.

2) Adjust the difficulty curve by reducing early-game card drafting. In my recent Sal games, I have found that my deck mostly stabilizes somewhere between day 2 and 3. That's not great, because it means that you're just executing your deck and finishing upgrades for almost half of the run. I'm trying to push that boundary out a bit. It'll never get to the end of a run, given the nature of deckbuilders, but I think that the game should still be offering you useful picks throughout day 3, at least.

Anyways, I always tune by binary search, so some back-and-forth adjustments are inevitable. Thanks for bearing with, while we find the right numbers!

So here you are, you bloody bastard. You can no longer hide from me Kevin, change the bloody names!

16 hours ago, Rook the Bogger said:

Its called commitment sir.

Is this really the hill you want to die on? 
If so, I recommend that you do not purchase Early Access titles in the future if you plan to get overly attached to frivolous details. They can and will change.

• Haha 1