Hello all,

I would like to say great job on this DLC so far I am loving almost all of it and the animations are fantastic!

One of the things I noticed in my early game while organizing p-water and pacus is sometimes a Pacu will eat a fraction of a seed. As an example I was starting my Bog Bucket farm and while searching for seeds I found two that were x 0.64 in the same pond as a single pacu. The seeds were still useable so it all worked out in the end but I am curious if this is supposed to be normal behavior or if it maybe slipped through the cracks.

Pacu don't eat seeds ( they eat algae ).  You can get a fractional seed if a storage bin has less than 1 kg of room left and a dupe tries to store the seed.  The fractions then can each be planted separately, increasing the number of seeds you have.

4 minutes ago, psusi said:

Pacu don't eat seeds ( they eat algae ).  You can get a fractional seed if a storage bin has less than 1 kg of room left and a dupe tries to store the seed.  The fractions then can each be planted separately, increasing the number of seeds you have.

In the DLC, pacu do eat seeds....

6 hours ago, jlarner said:

In the DLC, pacu do eat seeds....

Da fuh?  What the hell did they do that for?  Do they give the fish a ton of calories or something, because otherwise it just means they destroy all seeds instantly for nothing.  The buggers already eat algae like it's going out of style.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

What the hell did they do that for?

People have been asking for an automated way to get rid of seeds for a long time. At the beginning they are very useful. But especially with mealwood you accumulate tons of seed that you don't need or want. And composting needs manual intervention and dupe labor.

6 hours ago, psusi said:

Da fuh?  What the hell did they do that for?  Do they give the fish a ton of calories or something, because otherwise it just means they destroy all seeds instantly for nothing.  The buggers already eat algae like it's going out of style.

Since it's hard to find Voles in DLC, a Ravaging Hunger setting would work VERY well to farm as much as you can and feed 2 pacu's to feed your whole colony a starving pacu ranch. Because in swamp biome I feel it is VERY hard to work with Ravaging Hunger settings (all max difficulty) Especially in the first 50 cycles You might need to occupy 25% of the map for farms/grubs in order to feed 10 dupes lol

15 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Yeah. They eat 1/3 of a seed per cycle (vs 140kg of algae per cycle). Hence the the issue with fractional seeds.

Wow, so seeds are actually a viable food supply for them?  Neat.  Seems kind of silly though that they can get as much nutrition from 1/3rd of a seed as 140 kg of algae.

Has anyone actually managed to tame a pacu without algae?  I tried with seeds, but because they eat so infrequently, the 'ate from feeder' modifier is only active for some of the time, so they almost return back to where they were before they ate.  The eggs do keep your progress, but babies seem to eat less frequently than adults, so while they are babies their wildness goes back up to 100% again.

On 12/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, jlarner said:

Has anyone actually managed to tame a pacu without algae?  I tried with seeds, but because they eat so infrequently, the 'ate from feeder' modifier is only active for some of the time, so they almost return back to where they were before they ate.  The eggs do keep your progress, but babies seem to eat less frequently than adults, so while they are babies their wildness goes back up to 100% again.

I am having the same issue.  And to add to this I believe the fish feeders are bugging out with fractional seeds.  As often I see nothing on the spoon. Even after a reload.

About to give up with taming a fish =)

pacus don't eat sleet wheat but will eat nosh beans which are extremely efficient.  only trouble i've had is the nosh beans required being chilled/refridgerated to not rot.  it was about 1.6 pacu per nosh sprout without dupe harvest

and yeah, i gave up on taming with seeds.  i just feed them a little (1-2kg) algae every cycle or so and after the first tamed pacu, the seeds make the population explode for cheap

On 12/6/2020 at 7:42 PM, jlarner said:

I've tamed a pacu with seeds only. It's absolute possible.

18 hours ago, Karmana said:

I am having the same issue.  And to add to this I believe the fish feeders are bugging out with fractional seeds.  As often I see nothing on the spoon. Even after a reload.

About to give up with taming a fish =)

Have had the same experience. Dismantling and rebuild the fish feeder was the permanent solution. Note: I guess this bug occurs, when the fish feeder was in place, before there is actually a pacu that can eat from it (confirmation?).

3 hours ago, MooChiChi said:

I've tamed a pacu with seeds only. It's absolute possible.

Have had the same experience. Dismantling and rebuild the fish feeder was the permanent solution. Note: I guess this bug occurs, when the fish feeder was in place, before there is actually a pacu that can eat from it (confirmation?).

Have had a fish in there or not in there.  It has still bugged for me.  I managed after a lot of perseverance and using Algae to get a tame fish.  

Turned on all seeds now to use them up so will see what happens.  It may just be an issue with "Wild" fish being very selective about their diet and/or how hungry they are which is making it hard to decipher what is the problem.

There is definitely something funky with the fish feeder not always displaying food on the spoon though which seems to lead to no fish eating.  Having to rebuild it over and over is not a great system.

I think someone tested it and it seems it`s not possible to tame fish when feeding them seeds. They don`t consume enough and can`t tame before they die of age. Guess you need algae at first then switch to seeds once the fish are tame.

There`s also something broken about fish pathing (flying critters seem to be bugged in a different way as well). If the water level changes fish get stuck in one place and refuse to move until you reload the game. Might explain why sometimes the refuse to eat. It doesn`t even need you to add or remove water. Gulp fish can bug themsleves by creating clean water.

3 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

There`s also something broken about fish pathing (flying critters seem to be bugged in a different way as well).

That is an old bug, i faced it several times in Classic Oni. I think it has something to do with the overall count of critters. Every base i build, had around 21-54 wild pacus in a water tank. And at some point, the bug appears. But i never tested it out (Hey! Free food! i would be stupid and moving or not, the lay eggs :)), so its a theory. 

14 hours ago, Baer said:

I think it has something to do with the overall count of critters. Every base i build, had around 21-54 wild pacus in a water tank.

I had it before the dlc as well but i`m not sure if it`s the amount of fish that causes it. I had it happen for just a few of them. I think it`s triggered by the water level changing but i`m not 100% sure. It also sems to caue pufts and shinebugs to get stuck at the edge of water.

Here's a free and automated seed generator for your Pacu. It generate around 1 to 2 seeds / cycle / tree :

2.thumb.jpg.fdedeb2f0696d1e74a3c73c5824d

It doesn't product wood.

Pip don't need to be ranch.

The waterfall avoid the branch to grow so you have constantly 1% chance to generate a seed.

The seed fall by itself no need Dup.

Author :

On 1/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, Sasza22 said:

I had it before the dlc as well but i`m not sure if it`s the amount of fish that causes it. I had it happen for just a few of them. I think it`s triggered by the water level changing but i`m not 100% sure. It also sems to caue pufts and shinebugs to get stuck at the edge of water.

Pacu path finding breaks when their room size changes due to influx of liquids. It is a very odd issue I have also noticed.

2 hours ago, G315t said:

I want my Pacu in Basegame to eat Seed too :-( I have not much Algae left and I want a fish farm in my base. 

When the DLC will be release, the vanilla game will have a content patch, so I imagine Klei will take some change from the DLC to import them to the vanilla version : Pacu, durability on atmo suit, etc.

You could try multiple feeders with smaller amounts of food.

Pacu multiply readily enough - just keep relocating the eggs they lay so there's no crowding.

For whomever mentioned it, Nosh beans might be good for gulp fish critter morph habitat. These types get laid when the pacu it came from spent time at the lower side of the temperature range.

This seems to be a function of adaptation with pacu. And they can also live in almost any common fluid ( though I haven't tried with any but brine, salt water, water and polluted water ).

Gulp fish are great for making ice! Cold polluted water is usually cold enough to freeze small amounts of water, so I end up with lots of ice with my gulp fish setups ( usually from melted out cold biomes ).

Archived