Feedback for the beta.

First of all, let me say, while I may not like some bits of this beta, I absolutely love the way Klei transformed farming and the different things you have to keep track of to be rewarded. You guys work so hard, so thanks.

Klei asked for our feedback, so if you have any bugs or any feedback, don't be shy, as they said, we will all benefit from speaking up. Here is my feedback.

1: Reversing Farm Plots, this one is pretty standard, when you make a plot for crops, as far as I know, there is no way to remove. Perhaps using the Farm Rijimajig on the same plot could remove it. This seems obvious to me. I also want to mention how you can't remove crops off the scale, which seems stupid to me. These things kind of fall in the same category.

2: Give the Process More Life, this one is more on my opinion, and what I'm saying is that the watering process feels kind of lifeless, with no sound effects. More sound effects to just general things would make this process feel much better.

3: More reward, making sure that you water and talk to your plants all day isn't that tedious, however, if you fail to do so, you lose the chance of getting a massive crop, which gives much more reward. A normal plant will only give 1 crop and 1 seed, which seems a little underwhelming. 2 crops seems more reasonable, as the process of farming is much more interactive than before. I personally think that there should be slightly more reward.

That's all for now, what would you change? Now, if you will excuse me, I must tend to my dream garden.

20 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

there is no way to remove

pitchfork! :D 

no sound effects

yeah its beta a lot of things visually/sound-wise are unfinished 

A normal plant will only give 1 crop and 1 seed

personally i think this is an appropriate harvest for standard/insufficient care. that extra seed gives u an immediate opportunity to try it again with the exact same crop. And u can actually eat the fruit/veg you grew whereas before u either could it eat it or give it up to bird RNG for seeds. 

Excellent grade plants (one notch below Giant) give precisely the loot you suggest, so 1 fruit and 2 seeds. Which is nice i guess if u want a ton of one crop but the seeds pile up really fast. i personally wouldnt mind if excellent plants instead gave either a second fruit or second seed based on chance. so 1.5 fruits/seeds or something. i think the loot for giant crops are perfect: 2-3 fruits and 3 seeds, the other grades should be balanced with this in mind 

From what i have seen it's amazing , you can get so much seeds/veggies casually . its understable the wicker nerf ( i would like that it's only for crops not for the other mats for buildings like twigs/grass/reeds penalties can stay)

This opens up to a lot of possibilities like growing trees ( bananas ) or mushrooms ( probably wormwood rework or buff can be related to it? idk )

Overall impression : amazing , Klei did a really good job updating the farms. Oh.. and the tool for making holes, needs a gold one with more durability.

7 minutes ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Please put disease back into the game, I know it's stupid, but all you needed to do was put a cure in, not delete it. If people hate disease so much, they can turn it off in the settings.

I think it was good they completely removed it, sure they could have added a cure but the mechanic wasnt ever really fun, it provided no interesting challenge to the game.

50 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I think it was good they completely removed it, sure they could have added a cure but the mechanic wasnt ever really fun, it provided no interesting challenge to the game.

it rewarded going out in the wild to collect ressources and not shovel continents into your base.

it made perfect sense

14 minutes ago, Well-met said:

it rewarded going out in the wild to collect ressources and not shovel continents into your base.

it made perfect sense

no it didn't. you were actively and regularly punished for daring to relocate plants yeah but you were not 'rewarded' anything. the absense of a punishment is not equivical. to be quite frank it was such a poorly executed mechanic that even some of the hard-core hyper vanilla players would turn it off and we are talking about people who would say that using the game's own settings to change the world difficulty was actual cheating. i personally know three people who ONLY turn off disease and leave all other aspects of play alone and i watch a guy on twitch who does the same. i think at least some of the whinging that is happening over the turning off of disease is about an aspect of the game being changed and not any real desire to use the mechanic

8 minutes ago, gaymime said:

no it didn't. you were actively and regularly punished for daring to relocate plants yeah but you were not 'rewarded' anything.

survival is nothing but choices and trade-offs

you build walls? they'll block enemies but also yourself

you got out boating? you'll be giving up the goodies of the land for a while

you put things in a chest? you free your inventory space but now your stuff is vulnerable to fire and krampus

you shovel ressources closer to you? you won't need to cross 3 biomes to reach them but in exchange you have a new threat to deal with

there's very few literal upgrades in dont starve.

I don't really care about disease but it's disappointing to see klei cave in.

15 minutes ago, Well-met said:

survival is nothing but choices and trade-offs

you build walls? they'll block enemies but also yourself

you got out boating? you'll be giving up the goodies of the land for a while

you put things in a chest? you free your inventory space but now your stuff is vulnerable to fire and krampus

you shovel ressources closer to you? you won't need to cross 3 biomes to reach them but in exchange you have a new threat to deal with

there's very few literal upgrades in dont starve.

I don't really care about disease but it's disappointing to see klei cave in.

building walls looks pretty(especially for basemaking) and the blocking of enemies is actually very useful especially as wortox since things like worms and pigs cannot pass through

going boating gives you access to kelp, stonefruit, barnacles, cookiecutter fragments, shellbells three turfs and salt

putting things in chests keeps edibles from being consumed and keeps down lag it also keeps tallbird eggs from hatching and if you play shipwrecked(The solo game) it keeps things from blowing away

there are lots of upgrades when you are not being petulant.

if you don't care and you are only complaining because you want klei to continue digging its heels in over an unpopular and unwanted feature then you are not actually contributing to the discussion in a meaningful way you are just muddying the discourse

3 hours ago, ShyRo-Zyerenzy said:

Overall impression : amazing , Klei did a really good job updating the farms. Oh.. and the tool for making holes, needs a gold one with more durability.

Couldn't agree more, on both points. I love a system that rewards people who experiment and/or do their research, and I'm pretty sure the "reward of discovery" was something Klei's founder talked about in a recent interview on YT. On top of that, winter crops are a thing now; that's just insane (in the most positive interpretation of the word). 

Adding onto the latter, I do think a gold hoe should really be added so that we don't eventually need to make a moleworm farm to sustain all the flint that'll be consumed from plowing. 

Due to disease I've stopped moving resources to my base and instead just spend a day gathering stuff now and then in other biomes. Putting a satellite camp in those areas make the job fairly easy. I'm not some super megabaser though I don't need 10,000 of everything.

5 hours ago, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

Please put disease back into the game, I know it's stupid, but all you needed to do was put a cure in, not delete it. If people hate disease so much, they can turn it off in the settings.

If you love disease so much you can mod it back in.

Archived