[Game Update] - 442154

• Developer

save_migration.png

Hi friends!

We’re making good progress on the DLC, which will be going into Early Access in December! In the meantime, we've got an update for the base version of Oxygen Not Included: The long requested Cloud Saves!

This is something we’ve wanted to implement for a while, and we want to get this update out before Early Access starts as it will help support the coming DLC infrastructure. So this is a fairly small update to the game, consisting of basically just this new feature. (We did manage to squash a few bugs too!)

Additionally, this update includes upgrades to both the game engine and audio engine we're using to develop the game. This won't have much impact on you as the player, but it's a technical hurdle we needed to jump over to ensure the ongoing health of the game in the future.

Thanks as always for your support and feedback! Though we may not have been as active in the forums lately, we still read constantly and deeply appreciate all the kind words, amazing colonies, and fascinating discussions that go on here. You're the best!

Features and New Improvements

Cloud saves

• Cloud saves have been enabled! Use the new buttons on the Load Game screen to move your saves for cloud syncing
  • Automatic save file migration to one-folder-per-colony:
    • New save file migration window reorganizes save files into one folder per colony
    • Auto Save deleting policy is now per colony, i.e 10 max auto saves for each colony
  • New Colony list on load screen, where selecting a colony enters a second page to view the associated saves within it
  • Added a "Default to Cloud" option in game options, and a “Save To Cloud” setting when starting a new colony
    • Choosing "Sync ALL to cloud/local" will also update the default
  • Load screen has an indicator to show how to start using cloud saves. (Goes away after 5 appearances, or after the user clicks on the button.)
  • Can no longer create colonies with duplicate names (old colonies with duplicate names will still work, but will get migrated to/from cloud together)

Buildings

• Oil Well now dumps and takes damage from incorrect liquids, rather than storing them and getting blocked
  • Oil Well now has better logic to keep it from getting stuck pumping if something goes wrong with it
  • Fix Petroleum Generators from getting stuck if they're supplied with mixed fuels, now they seamlessly change over

Systems and Simulation

• Fixed partial heat transfer increasing energy and flaking fountain
  • Fixed Fish Feeder flaking
  • Fixed both Heavi-Watt Wire Bridges from flaking and doubling mass on melt
  • One cell buildings should no longer flake when melting
  • Clarified Petroleum Generator description
  • Fixed artifacts not being generated if they are the last artifact of a tier
  • Fixed power networks sometimes becoming overloaded when they are exactly at their power limit

UI and Text

• Fixed scaling issues for anims in the UI (notably, Duplicant portraits at high resolutions)
  • "More Info" on the error includes the actual error message in addition to the stack trace
  • Enlarged the clickable area to close message notifications so that it's easier to dismiss them
  • Clarified “level up” notification
  • "Save As" dialog now shows saves (not auto saves). Also inserts the save name and selects it
  • Updated localization strings for Chinese, Korean, Russian languages
  • Small style changes to the new game and load game buttons in the main menu
  • Removed the Sushi entry from the Database codex as it was removed from the game long ago
  • Daily Reports screen no longer crashes when hovering the domestic critter tooltip
  • Fix formatting of the "Growth Halted" status item so it's less confusing.

Performance

• Batch symbol override assignments to avoid call overhead, saves 2-3% of frametime
  • Remove duplicate entries in Offsets, saves 1-2% of frame in fetch cost calculations
  • Push back sort order for Assignable-related chore preconditions, saves 5-6% frametime
  • Replace ArrayRefs in ScenePartitioner with HashSet for 5% frametime savings
  • Small optimization to Symbol Override system ~.5% frametime by removing unnecessary data copying
  • Small optimizations to Symbol Override system ~2% of frametime by changing the way we look up symbols and removing some debugging
  • Facegraph optimization, saves about 1.5% frametime on Dupe stress test
  • Optimized the way Dupes think about toilets. Saves about 4% of frametime for colonies with many Dupes
  • Further optimizations to toilet selection. Can have huge benefits for large numbers of Dupes and toilets: ~20% of the frame on a Dupe stress-test colony

Filesystem and Backend

• When deleting a save, now tries to remove the png as well
  • When removing files, now tries to remove the empty folder
  • Upgraded to Unity 2019.4.14
  • Upgraded FMOD to 2.01.05

Mods

• Fixed bug in Mod "archived_versions", causing failures for archived versions of mods downloaded from the Steam Workshop
  • Mods: Error message when failing to load a building now specifies the name of the building and the mod that it comes from

Final patch from the preview branch

Spoiler
  • Added a cloud/local button on the new game screen so it's more clear what the current setting is.
  • "Back" is now localizable on the Load Game screen
  • Fix formatting of the "Growth Halted" status item so it's less confusing.
  • Can no longer create colonies with duplicate names (old colonies with duplicate names will still work, but will get migrated to/from cloud together)
  • Fix error migrating colonies with duplicate names
  • Don't delete the autosaves for a different colony with duplicate names, only for the current colony
  • Hide the "Cloud saves tutorial" bouncer if cloud saves are not available

A note for Mac users who were on the preview branch: Some people have reported issues switching back to the "default" branch of the game, where MacOS says "The application OxygenNotIncluded.app can't be opened." If this happens, you'll have to uninstall and re-install the game through Steam. If that doesn't fix it, please try the fix in this bug report.

View full update

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Health 2

game updates always appreciated. :)

wonderful work on the update, best of luck going forward.

A remarkable game, that deserves a following. Great work!

8 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fixed artifacts not being generated if they are the last artifact of a tier

outstanding! it was bugged?

Edited by Slvrsrfr
  • Like 1

So after this update, my existing game crashes every time it tries to do the save at the beginning of the cycle.

I turned off all mods and reloaded, still crashes.

It's set for Local usage, I haven't tried the Cloud save yet; but Local files are causing it to crash every time.

It is saving to the new structure (the colony name directory), but is is crashing upon completion of the save (or at least that's what it looks like).

Appears to be an Unauthorized Access error on the PNG file, I'll try to see if I can adjust my file system security levels.

UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Klei\OxygenNotIncluded\save_files\Chaotic Utopia\auto_save\Chaotic Utopia Cycle 44.sav (1).png" is denied.

System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
(wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes (System.String path, System.Byte[] bytes) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
Timelapser.WriteToPng (UnityEngine.RenderTexture renderTex) (at <1d5a4745931b465a8332104962ddb152>:0)
Timelapser.RenderAndPrint () (at <1d5a4745931b465a8332104962ddb152>:0)
Timelapser+<Render>d__28.MoveNext () (at <1d5a4745931b465a8332104962ddb152>:0)
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <b8388ffefd6046f8a7b4080349da72eb>:0)

• Developer
42 minutes ago, JRup said:

Oh goodies, great time to relaunch the game!  Will the FMOD update bring being able to test the DLC closer for those on linux?

It should fix it yes, check the update information on the DLC for confirmation.

10 minutes ago, cpy said:
  • Upgraded to Unity 2019.4.14
  • Upgraded FMOD to 2.01.05

So what does that mean in terms of what i can see or feel?

From the post:

Additionally, this update includes upgrades to both the game engine and audio engine we're using to develop the game. This won't have much impact on you as the player, but it's a technical hurdle we needed to jump over to ensure the ongoing health of the game in the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • GL Happy 1

Just upgraded and failed to open with "OS Error 4294956486" message. Reinstalled 2 times through Steam. 

This is so sad. Is there any way to jump back old version, or anything else?

MacOs Mojave / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz i5

• Like 1

I'm having the same problem as Soulwind with basically the same error message. I tried to load a saved game and it crashed quickly, twice. I figured since the update dealt with save files maybe it was corrupted and started a new game. I didn't even get to do anything before it crashed a third time. I, too, would like to go back to the previous version. 

• Sad Dupe 1

4 minutes ago, klei.ruby said:

@Verakum what OS are you on? Make sure you opt out of any betas on Steam, and if you're in the testing crowd, check that the DLC flag isn't checked in the Steam properties as well.

@klei.ruby No Betas enabled, I have re-installed the game 3 times so far, and as far as I am aware I am not part of the DLC testing team (I applied but I have not been approved as far as I know)\

I am using Windows 10, automatic updates on.

Edit: I removed ALL my workshop/mods too.

Edit2: it is as if Steam doesnt finish to unpack the game because the installation folder is basically empty

Edited by Verakum

FYI - I'm not sure what was causing the access denied crash upon the auto-save, but I went in and deleted the entire new folder structure then manually recreated it and manually copied in the save files.  After that the crash hasn't happened again (so far at least).

6 hours ago, Verakum said:

I am getting a weird error on Steam, DISK WRITE ERROR... anyone seeing this?

Yes! Mine kept crashing on Windows 8.1 so I tried reinstalling and it tells me it's stuck in a disk write error as well :'(
Never had mods and didn't sign up for beta testing either.

Edited by catcurling
more info

Base game (and DLC, for which i am on alpha) won't start on Mac os, comes back with an OS error. Looks like lots of people are reporting the same on steam.

9 hours ago, serkane said:

Just upgraded and failed to open with "OS Error 4294956486" message. Reinstalled 2 times through Steam. 

This is so sad. Is there any way to jump back old version, or anything else?

MacOs Mojave / iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3GHz i5

Yeah, this is what i am getting too.