Umm... so Mafic Rock?

I've never really paid attention to mafic rock before.  I used to just set most of my storage compactors to accept most things except eggs and slime.  This time I'm assigning only one thing to each compactor and trying to keep organized.  So I finally noticed I have a bunch of mafic rock and wondered why I should waste a compactor on it.  It has low specific heat, and conductivity, so it doesn't seem to be good for building anything.  I thought, well, let's get rid of it then.  I could use some more sand, let's crush it.  Nope, can't crush it.  How about feeding it to stone hatches?  Nope... not that either.  What the heck use is this stuff?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

I've never really paid attention to mafic rock before.  I used to just set most of my storage compactors to accept most things except eggs and slime.  This time I'm assigning only one thing to each compactor and trying to keep organized.  So I finally noticed I have a bunch of mafic rock and wondered why I should waste a compactor on it.  It has low specific heat, and conductivity, so it doesn't seem to be good for building anything.  I thought, well, let's get rid of it then.  I could use some more sand, let's crush it.  Nope, can't crush it.  How about feeding it to stone hatches?  Nope... not that either.  What the heck use is this stuff?

In the vanilla game I used to drop mafic rock in to my steam-rocket-room below, it greatly adds heat to steam...Just by dropping through rocket bunker launch doors. :p

11 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

I use Mafic in place of Igneous (which I feed to hatches) when Ceramic isn't needed for insulated tiles. 

Same for me, lower conductivity makes it perfect in place of igneous. I also tend to use it as a generic building material near space biome to limit transportation time. And while it cannot be used for insulated liquid pipes, it works for insulated gas pipes.

5 hours ago, Urist McPilot said:

while it cannot be used for insulated liquid pipes, it works for insulated gas pipes.

And liquid bridges... You cannot build any liquid pipe with Mafic, but it's okay for bridges.

ONI's logic...

FYI, opened in 2019, December

15 hours ago, OxCD said:

ONI's logic...

This looks like an accidental omission that they just haven't fixed yet. Kinda like the methane freeze temp.  We just gotta get the reminder in at the right time when they are making little updates. Sneak it in on an update page when they are begging for feedback. 

4 hours ago, ExEvolution said:

I build drywall with it, it is already close to space so it reduces travel time, and if you use the material colors mod, it looks really nice.

Tempshift plates have double the weight - In a steam rocket room they take on much more rocket heat and prevent that automation and power cables made of steel melt :afro:

It would be nice to have  "Mafic Rock Pizza" food in the game...Mhhh, nice crunchy pizza ! :biggrin-new:

image.png.205d6a042ff0854c6eebccdb76ed36c3.png

44 minutes ago, Victorzhov said:

There's also the same problem with fossil.

That's but a temporary issue.... It will get processed into lime + sedimentary rock eventually... The needs for lime to create steel will outweigh the value of keeping fossil. (Unless you only want to just farm happy murdercrabs.)

1 hour ago, JRup said:

That's but a temporary issue.... It will get processed into lime + sedimentary rock eventually... The needs for lime to create steel will outweigh the value of keeping fossil. (Unless you only want to just farm happy murdercrabs.)

Well, you need fossil if you want to create Robert, using a single mod.

Who's Robert ? Damn, I present to you, Robert, the guardian of our wisdom:

image.png.34679db10bfa824c4fef791f147737db.png

image.png.fe06efe567675771bb24c14bf0ba220f.png

The legend says that wisdom is 256 tile radius.

2 hours ago, JRup said:

I know, I just realized that accidentally while in sandbox mode

Archived