Cave walls? Cave walls and maybe elevations and such

Just a thought, why not? It was interesting to see them early in the first game and I think it would look cool if there were in DST rather than just empty void, considering that even the Forgotten Knowledge shown that those exist not as just deep holes in the ground called 'void'... Also MAYBE could spark ideas to add that elevation thing people discussed before to exist, eh?... 

There were such discussions in past and their conclusions mostly boil down to making exploration a nightmare from actual being able to see stuff: think how your search travels would be in places like Labyrinth, Atrium, Ruins' Military biome, Stalagmite Terrain, or even the new Ancient Archive biome - hostile mobs can yeet you and you won't even see them doing so.

I think there are ways it could be done.. but I don’t want to provide any suggestions as to how I feel it should be done, Klei have probably been screwing around with ways to implement that for many years, but for some reason or another they were removed, I do however think that the more DST evolves into its own thing & the more popular the game becomes, the more Klei will take risks in trying things they deemed as not being worthwhile in their past.

I would love elevated foundations of land in DST though, and just because it is a 2D game does not mean that such things can not exist, Where there is a Will, there is most certainly a way.

But here was one of those elevated designs I made back when the Elevated lands thread was active-

Spoiler

1DDE2330-79AB-4225-835A-58D8D95DC4B9.jpeg.7f1a465d6cd4da557190b7b78635c291.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would love elevated foundations of land in DST though, and just because it is a 2D game does not mean that such things can not exist, Where there is a Will, there is most certainly a way.

DST is not a 2D game, so it's more plausible than you think! :p

4 hours ago, Mantas said:

Just a thought, why not? It was interesting to see them early in the first game and I think it would look cool if there were in DST rather than just empty void, considering that even the Forgotten Knowledge shown that those exist not as just deep holes in the ground called 'void'... Also MAYBE could spark ideas to add that elevation thing people discussed before to exist, eh?... 

Spoiler

A video how caves looked in Dont starve Pre-Alpha from other discussion (I couldn't find that topic) about walls in caves. I prefer actual look and just imagine there are walls.

On 11/16/2020 at 2:48 PM, Mike23Ua said:

i dont think adding walls to caves would be a good idea since it can get pretty annoying, but this idea of adding y axis is genious.

it doesnt need to be as complicated as your design, just simple flat layers (very large gaps so it wouldnt annoy like the caves walls did) would do an amazing difference to the game.

imagine you descending into the caves, with the stairs at the highest point and the ruins at deepest. i would love to see this in the game

On 11/16/2020 at 3:51 PM, Notecja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

A video how caves looked in Dont starve Pre-Alpha from other discussion (I couldn't find that topic) about walls in caves. I prefer actual look and just imagine there are walls.

Those walls are kinda hideous to be honest, I think if Klei did walls now days that they would look a lot better- I can speak for myself and a lot of my friends that having walls down here would make dying and becoming a ghost and not being able to float over gaps of land a heck of a lot less confusing, But who knows.

What I Would like to see however is a Top Down game view if Walls & elevated platforms are added to the game: Maybe for example by holding in both the Right Trigger and Left Trigger on the Controller? I think it would be super helpful- but idk.. 

And I’m not even sure if adding walls into caves again now wouldn’t just be a waste of Klei’s time and resources that could be better spent on something else.

All I do know is that if caves had walls instead of uncrossable gaps it would make being a spooky ghost a lot less confusing.

On 11/20/2020 at 10:14 AM, Mike23Ua said:

Those walls are kinda hideous to be honest, I think if Klei did walls now days that they would look a lot better- I can speak for myself and a lot of my friends that having walls down here would make dying and becoming a ghost and not being able to float over gaps of land a heck of a lot less confusing, But who knows.

What I Would like to see however is a Top Down game view if Walls & elevated platforms are added to the game: Maybe for example by holding in both the Right Trigger and Left Trigger on the Controller? I think it would be super helpful- but idk.. 

And I’m not even sure if adding walls into caves again now wouldn’t just be a waste of Klei’s time and resources that could be better spent on something else.

All I do know is that if caves had walls instead of uncrossable gaps it would make being a spooky ghost a lot less confusing.

They looked a lot better later in the alpha with new textures and such, but the issue was they bogged down performance and were too intrusive to gameplay. They even tried making a circle around the player that clips through the cave walls so you can see yourself, but that didn't work out well either. 

People always fail to understand that making elevated land be accessible by the player, while accounting for the world generation system, AI pathing, item placement, drop physics, and visibility based on the angled camera would be a nightmare.

Not to mention coming up with actually GOOD reasons for it to exist, aside from "it looks good".

It would be a coding nightmare that takes a TON of hours from an entire team, all for a gimmick that doesn't really add anything to the game.

1 minute ago, DaZoul said:

I agree with everything you said, but the text above is just skins in a nutshell 

They make money?

And they don't require massive amounts of coding and accounting for nearly decade old mechanics and world generation,
skins just require some good artists.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ye but its "only" changing a sprite and make a desing

elevation, as scrimbles says, affects almost everything for not so much benefit

yep. And from what footage I saw featuring cave walls, I like the void more.

Archived