What would you guys think about more options to customize your Worlds?

I always liked the idea of customizing your worlds to your liking, tweaking how much of something gets generated or what season you want to start in, how long seasons are, how often do Beefalos mate?

Sadly though I feel like this could be expanded so much further than what we are given. Without even considering that support to tweak stuff about the ANR content or ROT content seems missing in a lot of areas, I would like to hear what you guys think could be added to the settings.

Personally I'd love to see more settings that affect stuff besides spawn rates. For example the likelihood of horror-hounds spawning from hounds or nightmare and gestalt spawnrates, maybe some more indepth settings when it comes to your game mode, heck perhaps even wormhole and sinkhole quantities. The possibilities could be endless!

well, on paper i would be down for this but in practice i could actually in good conscience recommend it, not only would it bog down the worldgen screen even more but the majority of players dont actually play anything other than vanilla -disease and sometimes -wildfires. it is a wasted effort for the team and a wasted effort for the majority of the playerbase

no if we could instead toggle persistent information for the hud and mobs i would be game!

Yes! and I made a long post about that here:

Please go there and check it out if you haven’t already!

But I’d like options for new stuff that I didn’t mention in that thread too, like toggles for Return of Them related stuff, or A way to host CAVES ONLY without a Surface World.. and a Permanent Full Moon option for day length (like there’s already Permanent Day & Night)

7 hours ago, gaymime said:

well, on paper i would be down for this but in practice i could actually in good conscience recommend it, not only would it bog down the worldgen screen even more but the majority of players dont actually play anything other than vanilla -disease and sometimes -wildfires. it is a wasted effort for the team and a wasted effort for the majority of the playerbase

no if we could instead toggle persistent information for the hud and mobs i would be game!

I get where you're coming from, but I also think it's just such a bummer that you can change a lot about the worlds you play in, but then there's just huge things missing.
I feel like more people would actually experiment more if we got some deeper and varied settings.
I mean everyone has a different playstyle, different preferences and I think if we would have more settings to adjust to your liking, more people might find more enjoyment while playing.

17 minutes ago, Freshness said:

I get where you're coming from, but I also think it's just such a bummer that you can change a lot about the worlds you play in, but then there's just huge things missing.
I feel like more people would actually experiment more if we got some deeper and varied settings.
I mean everyone has a different playstyle, different preferences and I think if we would have more settings to adjust to your liking, more people might find more enjoyment while playing.

no, no, you are absolutely correct and i do agree i am just looking at this from klei's perspective and it is a losing battle. people arent gonig to be happy even when they get what they want so imagine if they didnt want the thing?

34 minutes ago, gaymime said:

no, no, you are absolutely correct and i do agree i am just looking at this from klei's perspective and it is a losing battle. people arent gonig to be happy even when they get what they want so imagine if they didnt want the thing?

Well from Klei’s perspective they probably want to do what they feel is best with the resources they have available and they want to make profit, and make their players happy with what they put out.

From MY perspective- The game is called Dont Starve Together- But my friends skill levels actually vary drastically between one another, and in order to play this game with them and it be ENJOYABLE to them.. I have to screw around with those World Gen Customization settings.

Trust me I speak from experience.. I have to mess with these things based upon WHO I want to play the game with at the time: I have friends who want extreme challenge so we amp up the stuff like hound wave frequency, we reduce the amount of resources available, we set weather seasons and season lengths to be random.

Then there are the friends who starve to death with an inventory full of birchnuts because they have yet to figure out how to cook them.. Those friends need things toned waaaaayyyy down- So there are no hound wave attacks, all bosses are toggled as off, all weather seasons are turned off except Autumn, resources that were set to lower for my other friend have to be set to the most allowed for my Inventory full of Birchnuts friend.

To put this into a TL:DR- It never hurts to have MORE control over how easy or how hard the game will be for you and your friends, and while you may see this as something that Klei shouldn’t waste time or effort on, I see it as the only way to truly play the game TOGETHER (like it’s name implies) and actually allow said friends to enjoy the experience- based entirely upon our personal preferences of all the glorious settings we should have further control over.

My current issue with world customization is that it works in a very unintuitive way. One would think that setting tumbleweeds to "less" would mean fewer tumbleweeds spawn in the desert, not that tumbleweeds start spawning occasionally all over the world. In that case, less is literally more.

I might actually play with customized settings if they were a bit less weird.

1 hour ago, AlternateMew said:

My current issue with world customization is that it works in a very unintuitive way. One would think that setting tumbleweeds to "less" would mean fewer tumbleweeds spawn in the desert, not that tumbleweeds start spawning occasionally all over the world. In that case, less is literally more.

yeah, the less/more does ruin the purpose of having segregated biomes doesnt it?

4 hours ago, gaymime said:

yeah, the less/more does ruin the purpose of having segregated biomes doesnt it?

But that is more of an issue of how they're implemented rather than the actual options given.
Although that was always a thing that had bugged me as well.

I guess one benefit of not having certain options though is that at least there isn't an option that can be messed up in the first place.
Hamlet was a really good example of broken world customization options in that regard.

36 minutes ago, Freshness said:

But that is more of an issue of how they're implemented rather than the actual options given.
Although that was always a thing that had bugged me as well.

I guess one benefit of not having certain options though is that at least there isn't an option that can be messed up in the first place.
Hamlet was a really good example of broken world customization options in that regard.

i've less than 15 hours in hamlet, i am still not sure what is broken yet

19 hours ago, AlternateMew said:

"Lots" of dragonfly also doesn't create multiple dragon set pieces.

18 hours ago, gaymime said:

i've less than 15 hours in hamlet, i am still not sure what is broken yet

Turning off naturally spawning asparagus, aloe and radishes still spawns them, settings seasons to short makes them longer, certain less and more options dont work correctly like those of the grabbing and hanging vines, also grabbing vines are directly tied to hanging vines and ignore their own settings.

That and a bunch of other stuff that just outright doesn't have options even though it shuold.

Apparently Klei also tends to agree that we need more world customization options and they are worth investing their time into- because you can now host worlds with No Day, No Dusk & No Night as Day Type settings!

(Previously the only options available were Default, Long Day, Long Dusk, Long Night, Only Day, Only Dusk & Only Night)

7 hours ago, Freshness said:

Turning off naturally spawning asparagus, aloe and radishes still spawns them, settings seasons to short makes them longer, certain less and more options dont work correctly like those of the grabbing and hanging vines, also grabbing vines are directly tied to hanging vines and ignore their own settings.

That and a bunch of other stuff that just outright doesn't have options even though it shuold.

oh wow ;_; that is pretty bad

1 hour ago, Monkey Cups said:

What does the More/Lots setting for Dfly even do in DST? Just make her respawn faster?

as i know, putting bosses in more reduces their respawn time (like +2 deerclops per year) 

i guess, if it works as it should (i dont know since a lot of world setting works bad) that it will make her repawn in less days

Personally I think the entirety of the resource section needs to be reworked to be closer to the Do Your Map mod. Specifically the Advanced Configurations part, not the rest of it (The rest would be nice, but I wouldn't ask for that).

If I want more reeds, I'm asking for more reeds in the swamp, not suddenly reeds all over the world.

I deeply feel like this menu full of things you can toggle on/off, more/less of should be Klei’s biggest focus of this game.

Ever since they created the Ocean I’ve wanted a “Archipelago” style World Gen setting, there are OPTIONS under World Gen Settings to host worlds as Lights Out, or even as Plus- Choices that if you pick- Will spawn unique helpful gear like a Precrafted Campfire and a few logs or chests full of Goodies so you can skip a good half of the gathering part at the beginning of the game..

All an Archipelago setting would need, was to make sure players spawned into the world with enough resources to build a boat- or maybe even the players could skip the learning part and know how to craft the boat instantly.. the rest is just being able to sail between biome to biome to gather resources for improving your boat.

I would like deeper world customization choices for lots of things, I can’t seem to come up with enough good examples as to why this is a good thing..

So I will just say cut to my point I guess- The more customization players have over their World Gen, the more accessible the entire game becomes to them- being able to custom tailor your worlds to be as easy or as hard as you personally feel like wanting them to be at the time.

New content is fun.. they shouldn’t stop new content to focus on this, but at the same time Imagine being able to host Caves only worlds where you have no surface, or worlds where the server is locked to permanently being a full moon.. features that do not require any additional content to be added to the game that would clearly still increase fun quality, just as much and in some cases maybe even more then new content would.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:11 PM, Terra B Welch said:

I want a tabula rasa preset, especially since they made it easier to share maps now.

A tabula rasa preset would just be a blank slate effectively, the idea is people would use either the console or mods to make their own worlds from scratch and then share them to the communiy.

I've been wanting something like this for years actually, but it seems with all the things that need to be accounted for (setting different regions, "starting" the world you made from day 1, potential setpieces you wanna add, etc.) in order for it to be as indepth as possible that this is very unlikely to happen.

Unless someone somehow finds a way to mod something like that in.

Archived