Pokéshell made easy

So I've been building cautiously into the habitat of a wild pokéshell. It kept getting caught in the door, so when it finally got stuck in a mesh tile instead, I took the opportunity to build the door before freeing it:

image.thumb.png.c975bfb5747fdbb11f64fbb34918941b.png

Apparently they're perfectly content to have their heads stuck somewhere, just not the rest of them.

Update: Trapped Pokéshell don't even attack anyone.

OK, now can anyone tell me what I actually came to this thread to find: an efficient way of supplying a Pokeshell ranch with rotten food and dirt so as to keep them fed, happy, and producing a constant supply of Pokebabies for me to then immediately butcher and grind their shells down for steel lime?

'Cos the best I've got is to literally grow twice the amount of food you need and then let half of it rot.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

@Tsabo I think the only reasonable way to feed pokeshells is with polluted dirt from ethanol distilleries. You need about 2 running fulltime to feed 3 pokeshells.

Cheers. I've never really used ethanol for anything other than scooping some out of the rust biome for my cooling system; didn't even know distillers gave you p-dirt. I'll give it a try!

11 hours ago, Xenologist said:

How much polluted dirt can you extract from ethanol distillers, petroleum generators, and the water sieves filtering them? Don't forget mention the carbon skimming pwater addition.

The wiki is a great resource for this sort of thing.

Assuming you have 4 ethanol distillers and 1 petroleum generator running on the resultant ethanol. 

You produce 333.33 * 4 = 1333.32 pdirt/s from the distillers. 

You produce 166.67 * 4 + 500 = 1166.68 CO2/s.

If you use carbon skimmers for all of the CO2 and add the pwater from the petroleum generator you produce (1166.68 / 300 * 1000) + 750 = 4638.93 pwater/s.

Sieving the pwater produces 4638.93 / 5000 * 200 = 185.56 pdirt/s.

For a total of 1333.32 + 185.56 = 1518.87 pdirt/s

Basically processing the CO2 with skimmers is a bad idea.  It costs 578W and 927g filtration media/s to run the skimmers and sieve and it only produces an 14% extra pdirt.  You'd generally be better off just voiding the CO2 (e.g. with a door crusher) or raising slicksters. If you need the extra pdirt, just add more distillers.

35 minutes ago, TheMule said:

Well you need pwater for the trees. So I guess it depends on your water or pwater source.

Fair enough.  I guess what I really meant was that a carbon skimmer/sieve loop is a bad way to produce pdirt.  I generally don't think what you get out of it is worth the inputs. 

If you're using pwater for trees, then you're not getting any pdirt from sieving it.

1 hour ago, ghkbrew said:

Fair enough.  I guess what I really meant was that a carbon skimmer/sieve loop is a bad way to produce pdirt.  I generally don't think what you get out of it is worth the inputs. 

If you're using pwater for trees, then you're not getting any pdirt from sieving it.

Agreed. 

On 10/12/2020 at 9:26 PM, Tsabo said:

OK, now can anyone tell me what I actually came to this thread to find: an efficient way of supplying a Pokeshell ranch with rotten food and dirt so as to keep them fed, happy, and producing a constant supply of Pokebabies for me to then immediately butcher and grind their shells down for steel lime?

'Cos the best I've got is to literally grow twice the amount of food you need and then let half of it rot.

I was going to add this to the (prohibitively) long list of projects...glad I walked in here.

Also hadn't considered the material path to Steel from these dudes (I have a bunch of wild ones!), cheers for that!

27 minutes ago, Clinch said:

Also hadn't considered the material path to Steel from these dudes (I have a bunch of wild ones!), cheers for that!

What, you're telling me there's an alternative? How do you usually get lime?

24 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Honestly? I just don't use much steel, so wild shells tend to provide enough for me.

Although I do accept almost every critter or egg care package.

Maybe it's 'cos I've never played a game where I didn't get Home Sweet Home, so I have a flat 17.5t requirement that I start working on the moment I have a metal refinery.

This means that my production pathways have lime-optimality as their overriding concern.

Who cares about oil from the oil biome, I'm digging for fossils!

1 hour ago, Tsabo said:

I build a massive shipping lane that imports fossil from the oil biome into a rock crusher in my industrial zone where a dupe spends all their waking time grinding it into lime. A separate lane ships the egg shells from my critter hatchery to the same dupe.

I tried the ethanol distillery thing once, but there's just so much boilerplate with it. You have to herd pips to grow wild arbour trees in a huge temperature controlled greenhouse, possibly with some Artificial Natural Tiles™, then distill it into polluted dirt and ethanol, feed it to pokeshells in an atmosphere controlled ranch (to keep it from offgassing), and also deal with the enormous excess heat and CO2 somehow (which overwhelmed my water-based aquatuner).

I ran an unnecessarily complex test to verify that you can harvest molts without interacting with Pokéshells:

image.thumb.png.dd3e41139275a2b0fe236d7c2e56994e.png

They're all wild so no interaction necessary, although I don't know how that'll affect production rates.

Introducing the Infinite* Pokéshell Farm:

image.thumb.png.9fc145ef37821310ab878575ff238b63.png

All Pokéshell are wild.

They do need space, even if they can't move to the space, so hook them up to your largest open not-room I guess?

Baby Pokéshell can't jump up or down, and when they grow up they trap themselves in the door.

Extra roe can be dropped in from above.

Edit: The door also allows easy access to any shells, so worry not about allowing access through the lower gap, that is only needed to enhance room size.

On 10/21/2020 at 3:27 AM, Tsabo said:

Lots from fossils, and shells from wild animals that I don't disturb for hundreds of cycles. I slow-play the clearing phase (once I have a water source), so I usually don't feel the *pinch* from lack of Lime...

On 10/21/2020 at 7:13 AM, Yunru said:

Introducing the Infinite* Pokéshell Farm:

Yep. This method provides pretty much all the lime I need for tons of steel.

Just wrangle up all the pokés on the map.

20201031172704_1.thumb.jpg.b5c9a4c0d609ec76f0617bb6af2fedce.jpgC

This gadget drops them into their final home. Note the pen *must* be open to the map or they will become overcrowded and not make pinch roe.

20201031172719_1.thumb.jpg.0312b7511cfdb0b601279538cd83e737.jpg

Don't open the door. :eek:

20201031172743_1.thumb.jpg.4d9aafcb04feb4e1e0d351ab513ce53b.jpg

If the goal is lime then why feed them at all?  You only get sand as a byproduct 

Sweepy can work alongside pokeshells even when protecting their eggs, just dump all the wild pokeshells on the map into one location and let Sweepy collect the molts, egg shells, and meat

20201031194018_1.thumb.jpg.ae86c229adc3a010d7877895e17957aa.jpg

I don't know what the max range of a Sweepy is but this "molt farm" is 52 tiles long and Sweepy can cover the whole floor

poke.thumb.png.d4d301c418e5127abfc8096f3fcb61d7.png

Archived