Most used character in total, by region and more (infographic)

Hey folks,

I'm dedicating this to the you people who asked yourself "But who is the most played character now?". OrangE did try to answer this in one of his videos but what he did was painstakingly look into each server and count it. I've used some Python and Go to get this automated and give you some results.

This infographic presents, along with the character count, more information as far as what can be deduced from the API. This covers mostly players, servers and server metadata, regional differences, platforms.

Besides the infographic, I developed a website that presents the metrics shown in the infographic on a dataset that is always updated: https://dst.resamvi.io/ 
So you can always check yourself what the current state of character preferences and region distribution is here at Don't Starve Together.

For anybody that's interested and wants to dig depper I open-sourced the codebase here: https://github.com/ResamVi/dontstarve-datavis
Python and Go are employed on the backend, Vue.js was used to implement the frontend.

I love to hear your opinion. There is always criticism to be made about the data but I hope I addressed everything in the footnotes and [?] - notes.

dst infographic.png

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Pending are people in the Lobby, they haven't chosen their character yet.. I'd assume so atleast given the definition of the word.
image.png.258968ebff05524720a8ecfdcfc85137.png

I didn't mention that since it seemed so obvious to me even as a non-native speaker.

And I think to see that there are alot of characters being played less than 'no character yet' is funny in a weird way.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

Pending are people in the Lobby, they haven't chosen their character yet.. I'd assume so atleast given the definition of the word.
image.png.258968ebff05524720a8ecfdcfc85137.png

Correct!

2 hours ago, KainMorgen said:

I can't change the region. Is it supposed to be a dropdown?
Apart from that it's a very interesting website. I like stats like these.

On a sidenote: Who are Wadix and Madeleine? I think custom characters should be excluded from this.

dststats.png

Its an input field - you need to type in something first before the options show. Are you on a tablet by any chance?

I guess I should filter out some of those modded characters.., 

Oh, I'm just used to input fields clear their string when you click them so I tried to delete 'United States' but couldn't.
Alright, I can enter text.

In regards to your infographic and the regional differences you could have included each characters global average percentage to illustrate the regional outliers even more.

It would also be super neat if you could click on one of the countries in the map and that would select this country for the regional result.

Ohh, thank you very much, such infographics and research are much needed. Although I sense a lot of misrepresentation to come from assuming all players to bear the nationality of the server they are playing in, perhaps the principle of randomness helps alleviate the problem, signaling a national server for all those that play in the servers hosted from different nations. My real issue is with time; with regards to time the sample size is basically 1; making this particular research highly skewed in favor of P.R.China. I really wonder how this changes or stays the same when you take the same calculations on the peak hours of different regions. I think this infographic is a testament to how noon in Europe is China's peak hour. Would really like an observation at 22:00 GMT+2 and 04:00 GMT+2. Still thank you very much for providing us some actual quantitative info on something we desperately need and critically lack.

The tool is immeasurably good and I cant thank you enough for creating such greatness.

8 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Ohh, thank you very much, such infographics and research are much needed. Although I sense a lot of misrepresentation to come from assuming all players to bear the nationality of the server they are playing in, perhaps the principle of randomness helps alleviate the problem, signaling a national server for all those that play in the servers hosted from different nations. My real issue is with time; with regards to time the sample size is basically 1; making this particular research highly skewed in favor of P.R.China. I really wonder how this changes or stays the same when you take the same calculations on the peak hours of different regions. I think this infographic is a testament to how noon in Europe is China's peak hour. Would really like an observation at 22:00 GMT+2 and 04:00 GMT+2. Still thank you very much for providing us some actual quantitative info on something we desperately need and critically lack.

The tool is immeasurably good and I cant thank you enough for creating such greatness.

Yea you definitely hit the nail on what's lacking in the data. I want to be honest - I did rush the infographic a bit to get it out there. There really is much more potential to extract a dataset that is closer to reality.

Next step for me is to handle time-series data to see peak hours, changes in character pick rate and so on. However this simple feature requires more work than I anticipated. Relational databases don't seem to quite fit for what I want so I also need to study more on this topic.

Next up would then be a long-term study to combat the small sample size. However I don't think putting randomness into the origin of a player would make the data be closer to reality. China would just lose a lot of their players to forced randomness and I believe a pretty small set of Chinese players play elsewhere due to the ping

i can agree to the canadian wes one x''D

though i wonder if doing it over a 24hour period where a player's first time logging in and picking a character is used coupled with the same data but also pulling out users who pick&switch with their switches listed. i have met players who swap out multiple times as well as have seen people ask who they should be when joining for the first time

17 hours ago, Mr. Despair said:

So, Wilson is third in Argentina.

No wonder that this country is collapsing

And i really wonder why Wendy is so popular, i would bet that is mostly for her design.

I think Wendy is really popular because she is perfect character for new players - she deals with 2 main reasons why newbies dies: Abigail can fight for them, and less sanity loss so they dont must care so much about nightmares

Archived