Boat layout thread

I don't believe anybody has created a thread about boat layouts, so here it is! Post your boats here and add step by step instructions on how to make them if you desire.

Spoiler

Here's what that I've come up with that includes most if not all of the things I would need while sailing. If you wish to use this design, I can try to explain how I achieved it and what to place first so everything fits.

boat1.thumb.PNG.d4c064f9e2b499db96c4487d9c5d8c29.PNG

7 minutes ago, Pikapikap said:

I want to know when they will fix the texture bug of these items

QQ图片20200717160633.png

I suppose you could imagine that the hook has pierced through the fin or something? Yet I'm not really sure if the whole thing would actually stay dangling on there for long...

14 minutes ago, DaZoul said:

You can still plant Lureplants on a boat? I thought they'd fix that out.

Yeah, it is a bit odd.. I hope they don't plan on patching it though, since a constant source of leafy meat while sailing is pretty sweet.

3 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

Yeah, it is a bit odd.. I hope they don't plan on patching it though, since a constant source of leafy meat while sailing is pretty sweet.

It doesn't make much sense tho. Root down into planks, under which is an ocean? It is useful, ngl.

4 minutes ago, Pinegrove said:

I suppose you could imagine that the hook has pierced through the fin or something? Yet I'm not really sure if the whole thing would actually stay dangling on there for long...

The meat rack is about to fall !!!  I hope they fix it because it looks very uncomfortable

QQ图片20200717162400.png

Just now, Pikapikap said:

The meat rack is about to fall !!!  I hope they fix it because it looks very uncomfortable

Ooh, that! Well.. I was trying to cram a lot of things on a very limited surface, so I suppose this is a sort of unfortunate side effect that can't be fixed.

How do you manage to cram so much stuff onto a boat? I was playing WX once and had to hammer a firepit on my boat to make room for a lightning rod, then couldn’t put it back on the boat because I didn’t have room. Obviously now boat firepits aren’t really needed anymore because of the boat light but still.

So maybe the meat rack could have his specific form for boats, a perfect another example that the boat will finish one day with special items only.

A new cage bird maybe ? As an upgrade for the mast ?

As we see some pictures, work could be done !

3 hours ago, Blueleaf12 said:

How do you manage to cram so much stuff onto a boat? I was playing WX once and had to hammer a firepit on my boat to make room for a lightning rod, then couldn’t put it back on the boat because I didn’t have room. Obviously now boat firepits aren’t really needed anymore because of the boat light but still.

Build all general structures first, then all boat things, then containers (chests, icebox, etc) last. The easy way is building general structures side by side following the corner and one in the center, everything else you build on the gaps between structures.

Every time I go sailing I make a new boat design, although they're always pretty similar and get more so with every new boat. The most recent had a farm on it since I wanted to try doing Warly stuff, but I never really did.

image.thumb.png.6683c221e501b6ac698d2b4f5ac85bad.png

The previous one was more close to the boats I normally make, although I hadn't gotten Malbatross sails on it when the picture was taken.

image.thumb.png.5e09e31711e94f19727bb25292ba4b13.png

But I think the best boat design would be this hypothetical one I made in a testing world. Imagine seeing a Warly sail on over to you with a different Warly dish in every crockpot, bringing you bountiful gifts of delicious food.

image.png.580947ef3c8772f4558aeaebd2c08dc3.png

Well, either that or the chest boat, which was also on a testing server.

image.thumb.png.a80dc524afe8a5f338baf5c6e30ddfd5.png

9 hours ago, Blueleaf12 said:

Adding onto Sweaper's reply, certain structures in DST follow different placement mechanics such that some structures - even though they take up about the same amount of space as any other structure - are easily BLOCKED by other structures or even something as miniscule as a seed on the ground. I call the most easily-blocked structures "type II", and these include things like crock pots, flingomatics, lightning rods, pig houses, farm plots, sisturns, fire pits, etc. This is why you sometimes see people on pub servers complaining when you put down an ice box before the crock pots are done.

The way to fit as many structures on your boat as possible is to build sails first because sails are blockable but take up zero space (so building on a boat w/ sails is literally the same as building on a boat w/out sails); then build your type II structures next (if you arrange them properly, you can fit a maximum of 7); then build your type III sailing structures (anchor, wheel, and fishing bins); then build your normal type III structures like ice boxes, mushroom lamps, fire pumps, etc.; then finally, build your wooden chests. 

I elaborated on this more in my ocean survival guide.

I'll post some of my other boats here, might as well!
(Side note, i am using the transparent masts mod in these)
20200718195324_1.thumb.jpg.4b634e4eafbb05bcc3241985ddcb8eaf.jpg20200718195345_1.thumb.jpg.f085859c3cb0047c1440687fbccc186f.jpg

These are my two most recent designs I made today.
Personally. The types of boats I like to design are more just "survival boats"
Ones that are built for 1-3 people to completely survive on and have everything they need to do so.

I personally don't like many of the "base boats". the ones that try to place every structure ,that they would normally find in a base, on a boat. As they look very cluttered or unusable, as they are designed to fit as much as they can, rather than designed to be used.
And that's okay! Its just my personal opinion and why I'd rather build more survival friendly/long term boats.

And I'll explain a few of my choices here!
1) Light
You may notice that I only have 1 source of light on my boat, that being the deck illuminator. But that is because it doesnt give off any heat or cooling, and is water proof! (On top of not needing to be another structure that takes up space!)
   Normally, I would have just use a mushlight. and before the troubled waters update. I would have told you that its the best option.
And while its definitely not bad in any way. The deck illuminator just has slightly better upsides to it.
   I am sacrificing the longer more consistent light. But this comes at the benefit of a more reliable fuel (being able to hammer boat fragments for boards, which is more common than lightbulbs. As well as not taking up space, and rather being just part of the mast!
2) Heating
With the deck illuminator being my only light source. One might think i wouldnt be able to survive winter or summer. But this is where thermal fish come into play!
  Using the winter and summer exclusive fish. You are able to easily control your temperature at all times! All you need is about 2 per crew member. And keep them inside of a Tin Fishing Bin so you can swap them out as needed! 
3) Food
I often see other boats have things like bird cages or drying racks. So that they can keep/make more food for their trips. But I personally dont find those things necessary. One can survive on kelp and small fish to make meat balls quite easily. Or make other fish dishes like surf n turf if you need healing!
4) Structures
Speaking of bird cages and drying racks. You may see my only "Large" structure is the crock pot. That is because I look at boat space as storage. The more open space, the more storage. So I look at every structure and think to myself  "would i rather have this, or an extra chest?". And because of this, I try to use as little structures as i can. This is why I was EXTREMELY pleased when Klei added the Deck Illuminator and the Lightning Conductor. Because these replace two structures that were seen as required items needed to sail long term.
  You may also notice I dont have ANYTHING for crafting. This is because I have never found a situation were I desperately needed to craft something I didn't already have prototyped. The only time I ever needed a science machine on a boat was to get a gift :P
5) Placement
I often see these "Base boats" have all of their structures around the outside ring. Now this is of course so they can fit all thoses things on it! But, most of those structures have one common issue... they are Solid. and what I mean by this is that you are unable to walk through them.
  And when a solid structure is on the outer ring of the boat, it is able to block you from getting on the boat, and just making you fall in the water and drown.
  But another reason that was added in the most recent update is Wavy Jones. If Wavy Jones was to spawn in one of those structures (for example, a fire pit) You would not be able to walk onto his head to get rid of him! (I have had this happen to me, thats why I say this).
  And one last reason to keep the outer ring free of solid structures is so you are able to pick up floating items that you sail past. Now while this one isnt as important. You may notice yourself getting blocked by that pesky scaled furnace as you try to pick up the bottle you are sailing past.
6) Controls
One thing i always put on every single one of my boats is a "cockpit". Where all the 'controls' to the boat are in one single spot, rather than in random spots on the boat. This is so that you can reach everything you need to sail without having to move around on your boat, wasting those precocious seconds when you are 10 tiles away from hitting land.  

Now of course this is just to fit how I play on boats. Mostly that I sail with 1 to 2 other people. or a "crew" as I call it. This is so that 1 person can be the captain and direct the ship, and the others can focus on things like making food, or picking up items that float by!

Tldr: I play long term on boats, I don't like things that block my movement, I use summer/winter fish for heating, and i find storage the most important!

17 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Normally, I would have just use a mushlight. and before the troubled waters update. I would have told you that its the best option.
And while its definitely not bad in any way. The deck illuminator just has slightly better upsides to it.

I was never much of a fan of the mushlight personally; it's so dim compared to other light sources even when all 4 bulbs are in the slot. I much prefer using the lightbulbs from squids to refuel my lantern as a supplemental light source. That being said though, while I haven't tested this, apparently the deck illuminator is half as fuel-efficient compared to a fire pit, so I'd rather stick to the latter unless it's raining.

18 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

ou are able to easily control your temperature at all times! All you need is about 2 per crew member. And keep them inside of a Tin Fishing Bin so you can swap them out as needed! 

You unfortunately need 4 per person if you plan on sustaining your temperature using ONLY the thermal fish because the fish only recover at 33% speed inside the fishing bin. I see the thermal fish as more of a situational substitute for a thermal stone if you plan on making a single back-and-forth supply trip from your boat to wherever on the mainland/lunar island and back, but I don't view it as a complete substitute for a thermal stone.

I highly recommend having both a heat source and cooling source on your boat.

18 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

things like bird cages or drying racks. So that they can keep/make more food for their trips. But I personally dont find those things necessary. One can survive on kelp and small fish to make meat balls quite easily.

By yourself, surviving just on small fish and kelp is certainly fairly easy to do. With a second or third mouth to feed on the boat (150 or 225 hunger per day, respectively), that's not really an option unless you want to spend more time looking for food than actually sailing. While I've personally abandoned the bird cage fairly recently since all it really unlocks is bacon and eggs, the drying racks are an ABSOLUTE godsend out at sea. If you know the proper recipes for meaty stew, you can literally double the hunger value of every single fish you catch (a 100% hunger boost), which is astronomically efficient compared to a 54% hunger boost from making meatballs using small fish and kelp, AND you have situationally-flexible access to both dishes if you have drying racks compared to being locked into kelp meatballs or 4x small-fish meatballs the entire voyage. Not only that, but jerky itself is a great sanity source if you happen to have too little small fish and too many big fish stocked in your fishing bins. Whether jerky is a more efficient sanity food than surf n turf in other food-supply situations though, I haven't done the math yet. 

19 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

So I look at every structure and think to myself  "would i rather have this, or an extra chest?"

The great thing about chests in particular, though, is that they're unique in that they are the LEAST blockable structures to place down in the game. They fit so easily in some of the tightest spaces between two other structures, whether it's fishing bins or ice boxes, so there is really no need to be concerned with chest storage as you're building your boat UNLESS you for some reason want more than ~12 chests on your boat. 

To illustrate my point, here's an example of my "finished" boat:
20200719133217_1.thumb.jpg.5d907e63966db57d8f5bc6761298fce6.jpg
And now here's the EXACT same boat after I decided to go overboard with chest storage:
20200719163512_1.thumb.jpg.8cee91253b044e7339da11a3ea7d1d65.jpg

20 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But, most of those structures have one common issue... they are Solid.

Collision physics is certainly something to be concerned about, but there are structures like drying racks, chests, and pretty much every type III structure out there, that lack collision physics. The boat I shared above, for example, has plenty of areas, especially the northern half, for you to hop on board without fear of drowning. I could even just replace the tackle receptacle with another drying rack as well to make boarding extra safe and the boat more food-efficient. 

If Wavy Jones was to spawn in one of those structures (for example, a fire pit) You would not be able to walk onto his head to get rid of him!

Wavy Jones unfortunately reappears pretty quickly after you step on his body; the only way to actually not have to deal with him is to properly manage your sanity, which consequently means having to be extremely mindful about your food supply because any sanity you try to maximize from food comes at the cost of hunger.

As they look very cluttered or unusable, as they are designed to fit as much as they can, rather than designed to be used.

I agree that there are many boats out there that try to fit as many structures on the boat as possible just for the sake of fitting as many structures on the boat as possible, but anyone can VERY easily make a fancy boat (I think that's what you mean when you refer to a "base boat", right?) that is specifically meant to be even MORE useful and survival-friendly, ESPECIALLY in the long-term, all while avoiding those pitfalls. 

49 minutes ago, Rinkusan said:

apparently the deck illuminator is half as fuel-efficient compared to a fire pit

Yeah I hear a lot of people saying this, but they forget that the campfire is the exact same. Thats why I like to be more optimistic and just say its a campfire on a boat rather than a fire pit.

You unfortunately need 4 per person if you plan on sustaining your temperature using ONLY the thermal fish because the fish only recover at 33% speed inside the fishing bin.

It might seem that way with the math. But you also cant assume these people are going in with no thermal clothing. Wearing an eyebrella during summer can easily keep your temperature low enough while the fish re-charge. and you only take them out to get your temperature back down. Same goes with winter and people wearing tamo's

I highly recommend having both a heat source and cooling source on your boat.

And for the reason above is why you dont actually need to have both. I find they just take up too much space. and having something like a scaled furnace is VERY annoying during summer.

With a second or third mouth to feed on the boat (150 or 225 hunger per day, respectively), that's not really an option unless you want to spend more time looking for food than actually sailing

But those extra mouths are able to pick kelp as you sail, and are able to catch extra fish whenever you stop for the night in a dangerous area. And dont forget you can being food with you before you leave on the journey. So that you can last even longer or make more efficient meatballs. 

They fit so easily in some of the tightest spaces between two other structures

Something I didnt talk about in my post is that I also like to make "Segments" or "rooms" on my boats. Where one part is for the 'kitchen', one is for the 'fishing/treasure', one is for 'storage room' and one is for the 'cockpit'

the only way to actually not have to deal with him is to properly manage your sanity

While yes this is true, its also easier said than done, especially when having other people on your boat. You may be sane, but they might not be.
This is why i recommend going to lunar island incase anyone is not perfectly healthy on the mind.

I could even just replace the tackle receptacle with another drying rack

I personally would not bring either of these structures. As one should have enough tackle already before sailing. And I find the drying racks just unnecessary clutter on a boat. I just dont find them mandatory.

And at the end of all of this. I also want to say that I dont just design boats, I also use them. and I design them around how i survive. I use them in actual worlds with actual people and not just testing it for one day in a creative mode world
(Tho i DESIGN them in a creative mode world, i rebuild them on an actual world to use)

So sure, you may say "You cant actually do this" to some of my points
But I have to disagree, because I know you can do them. I have tested them, and use strategy around them. And I dont assume that the person just spawns on a boat and has to have everything they need. they probably have a base of some kind for things like drying racks or all those crafting stations. Making it redundant to bring them onto a boat.
The only time i would they you would need them on a boat, is if you are challenging yourself to only make your base on a boat. 

I also want to say, thats these are just how I design MY boats. And everyone has their ways for designing THEIR boats.
We all have to remember that people will find some things better than others.
And thats okay!
People can make their boats however they want!
Thats why I made sure to say that things are my personal opinion or how i personally do them! I don't say what is objectively better and that you have to use them! 

9 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

Thats why I like to be more optimistic and just say its a campfire on a boat rather than a fire pit.

Right, but the point I'm trying to make here is that the deck illuminator isn't fuel-efficient compared to a fire pit/endo fire pit. It beats out the fire pits during rain by far in terms of fuel, but it's lackluster in any other situation. I personally value having both on the boat.

17 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But you also cant assume these people are going in with no thermal clothing.

I did clarify in the previous post that you need 4 fish if the thermal fish were your ONLY source of temperature regulation. I thought it was fairly reasonable to talk about a no-clothing situation since we're talking about surviving at sea long-term, meaning you can't rely on seasonal clothing since it'll eventually degrade without a renewable way of repairing it or making more of it during your voyage.

29 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I find they just take up too much space. and having something like a scaled furnace is VERY annoying during summer.

42 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

food with you before you leave on the journey. So that you can last even longer or make more efficient meatballs. 

39 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

This is why i recommend going to lunar island incase anyone is not perfectly healthy on the mind.

Right; if they make you claustrophobic, you can certainly circumvent the need for a fire pit/scaled furnace and an endo fire pit either by juggling thermal stones in the ice box or juggling ice breams/sunfish in the fishing bin. But for a long-term voyage, unless you have 8 seasonal fish (4 sunfish and 4 ice breams) in the fishing bin per person, temperature management is going to be a struggle. 

Since you brought up being on the lunar island specifically for sanity, relying on thermal clothing, and depending on pre-voyage food, I guess now would be a good time to ask what your definition of a "long-term" voyage is since it doesn't look like we're on the same page. Are we talking about a few hundred days spanning a multitude of years, or are we just talking about maybe 1 or 2 seasons? 

1 hour ago, DarkPulse91 said:

But those extra mouths are able to pick kelp as you sail

They certainly can, but so can you when you're sailing solo. Even though more people on the boat means more food you can collect in a given timespan, the amount of food per person exponentially decreases the more people you have on your boat. This is why I said in my guide that 2 people > 1 person >> 3 people >>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 people >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 5+ people. Food per capita plummets hard because carrying capacity is a thing, ESPECIALLY out in the ocean. 1 or 2 people can fish the same school of fish with similar efficiency per person (assuming the 2nd teammate knows how to keep the lure away from the 1st teammate's), but fish caught per person goes noticeably down with 3 people and absolutely plummets with 4 or more, partly because schools of fish spawn at a slow rate but mostly because of the fishing mechanic where nearby fish swim away in fear the moment one of you hooks a fish. 

I hope this explanation is clear enough.

45 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

I personally would not bring either of these structures. As one should have enough tackle already before sailing. And I find the drying racks just unnecessary clutter on a boat. I just dont find them mandatory.

Sure; but I'm not saying that they're mandatory, and that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about the pros and cons of a fancy boat. Technically, the sails, steering wheel, anchor, crock pot, chests, etc. aren't mandatory for ocean survival either. You can survive out at sea during any of the 4 seasons with nothing but your fishing rod, an ice box, a thermal stone, and a fire pit, but that would be extremely stressful and not fun to do. 

I agree that the tackle receptacle on the boat isn't necessary, which is part of why I stated in the first place that you could replace it with another drying rack. I only put it on this particular boat because it made the boat look nice and "spear-headed" as opposed to having another drying rack at the helm of the boat; the number of structures, the before-and-after pictures showing that chests can be neatly placed on your boat any time you need more storage, the lack-of-cluttering aesthetic, and the lack of collision physics on the boat were what I was trying to drive home with this boat design.

So sure, you may say "You cant actually do this" to some of my points
But I have to disagree, because I know you can do them.

When did I say that you "can't" do all these things, though? I'm pretty sure the only thing I said that you actually can't do is maintain your temperature by solely relying on juggling 2 thermal fish, which I'm assuming now you don't mean based on the point about thermal clothing. In fact, the entire point of me disagreeing with your criticism of fancy boats is to point out that you CAN do these things. You CAN avoid the problem of collision physics with a fancy boat by using drying racks which lack them. You CAN avoid the Wavy Jones problem by maintaining your sanity through proper food management, and even when you don't, he's almost just as much of a nuisance when you can step on him compared to when you can't. You CAN increase your hunger output by a ridiculously HUGE margin using drying racks EVEN THOUGH you CAN survive out in the ocean with an exclusive-kelp-meatball diet; it's just annoying and/or ridiculously hard with more people onboard to the point where you have to focus on food more than sailing to your destination. 

I also want to say that I dont just design boats, I also use them. and I design them around how i survive. I use them in actual worlds with actual people and not just testing it for one day in a creative mode world

I hope the implication here isn't that I'm the one who just designs boats on creative mode. Take the boat picture I provided, remove the new content like the mast upgrades/fire pump, and replace the tackle receptacle and middle drying rack with a flingomatic and lightning rod respectively, and that's exactly what my usual Day-17 boat-rushing fancy boat with Wendy on a public server looked like before this recent update.

Either way though, why does whether either of us personally have boating experience matter? You or I could've never touched an ocean fishing rod in our lives, and that wouldn't change a thing.

Haven't really had much of a chance to play DST these days, but I managed to squeeze in half an hour of creative mode earlier today and I came up with this:

20200720175429_1.thumb.jpg.b2d05c6aff7b1f21b0d2b99f1d71d9a6.jpg

Spoiler

20200720175431_1.thumb.jpg.63fa6839daac7ee15261d3a508d0ffe9.jpg20200720175433_1.thumb.jpg.07359d79f607baf7db924b5ae71767a0.jpg20200720175435_1.thumb.jpg.2cf7e60ce1b4f56804ec1acd25233e98.jpg

It's pretty crowded, but rotating gives easy access to all of its containers. It's also designed specifically with Wavey Jones in mind, so I put the Bird Cage and Crock Pot further in, allowing me to run along the perimeter of the boat. I've also kept the "front" half of the boat fairly uncluttered (for my standards), which is nice for sailing. I generally find the Tin Fishin' Bins to be unobstructive when it comes to clicking on stuff and seeing items lying around. Plus, I threw in a couple of Potted Ferns for decor.

As per family tradition, one of the 4 Tin Fishin' Bins is dedicated to holding Scorching Sunfish and Ice Breams (6 of each kind), which eliminates the need for any other form of temperature management. (For those of us who play solo anyway.)

Oh, I also tried placing Lureplants on it for making Jelly Salad on the go. Lureplants can be planted virtually anywhere; they have almost zero spacing needs, but I'm not sure I like the look, so I removed them:

Spoiler

20200720175417_1.thumb.jpg.9c3286a4792b06dc494fd824fc31562c.jpg

Aside from the addition of a Fire Pump, Bird Cage and Salt Box, it is pretty similar to the setup I've been using for ages in my survival world, so it should be fine in the long term.

Only issues I have are:

1. I cannot walk between the Winged Sail and the Crock Pot/Bird Cage. Not a particular issue, more a minor annoyance, since I can just walk between the two Winged Sails. (Fire Pump, God bless it, has no hitbox, as is the case with most boat structures.) This is also the reason I placed the Lureplants as seen in the spoilered image; the hitbox of the crock pot/bird cage was blocking me anyway, so I figured I might as well put the Lureplant's hitbox there too.
  2. Deck Illuminator takes 2 Boards/Boat Patches/Glommer's Goop to fully fuel... I don't feel all that great about that, but I can't really justify all the space a Firepit would take up. Perhaps I ought to look into shifting the birdcage around to see if I can fit a Glowcap/Mushlight?

Two people build

In the middle is the 【mushroom lights】【Lazy Desrter】Superimposed

In front of 【Scaled Furnace】【Alchemy Engine】Superimposed

Left deck【Crock Pot】 ,【lceBox】【SaltBox】Superimposed

Right deck【ice flingomatic】

Middle deck   8  【Tin Fishin‘ bin】 

Aft deck Cockpit  【steering wheel】2【winged sail】           【anchor】【pinchin’winch】Superimposed

There are three other scaled chests

The chest generally contains:  twigs , boat patch ,log ,spectackler box ,strident trident,pocket scale, razor,flint,3Thermal stone

Will prepare enough food before sailing

20200720211200_1.jpg

20200720205018_1.jpg

20200720210443_1.jpg

The disadvantage is that you can only stay in the cockpit in summer. We must stay away from the stove to keep cool. The advantage is that the captain can control and steer the ship more conveniently

Archived