[Game Update] - 420700

• Developer

Hello everyone! Just a small patch before the weekend to fix a couple crashes. Have a good one!

• Fix crash if a SweepyDock is destroyed while Sweepy is trying to charge
  • Fix crash when changing temperature units in the main menu
  • Fix crash on some Windows systems when loading the game
  • Decrease the brightness of Insulated Pipes / Insulated Vents. The prior color was making certain elements hard to see, notably Oxygen

View full update

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

36 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Just a small patch before the weekend to fix a couple crashes.

Murphy's Law states that small patches right before the weekend create major crashes that require devs to work overtime just to revert everything... Please wait until Monday

• Haha 2

I dont know what this patch has done but, my game completely broke. Unsubscribed mods are not being removed, game throws new errors every time I try to load up a world. 

Game is crashing and not reporting any mods as responsible. Maybe ill try reinstalling. 

• Like 1

Hi Klei, are you sure you are thinking this through? I was so happy to read this post and thought the situation has been solved but seriously now... you've changed one bad thing for several bad things. Indeed, now the pipes are easier on the eye but what they transport is barely visible from afar - see attachments. Am I the only one having an issue with this??

Pipes_gas_labeled.jpg

Pipes_liquid_labeled.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pether said:

Murphy's Law states that small patches right before the weekend create major crashes that require devs to work overtime just to revert everything... Please wait until Monday

1 hour ago, Yaswanth said:

I dont know what this patch has done but, my game completely broke.

See...? Told you!

• Developer

I dont know what this patch has done but, my game completely broke. Unsubscribed mods are not being removed, game throws new errors every time I try to load up a world. 

Game is crashing and not reporting any mods as responsible. Maybe ill try reinstalling. 

If it keeps happening, please post a bug in the bug forums and include your game log. This will help us figure out what's happening. Thanks!

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Nedix said:

Hi Klei, are you sure you are thinking this through? I was so happy to read this post and thought the situation has been solved but seriously now... you've changed one bad thing for several bad things. Indeed, now the pipes are easier on the eye but what they transport is barely visible from afar - see attachments. Am I the only one having an issue with this??

Pipes_gas_labeled.jpg

Pipes_liquid_labeled.jpg

ugh  the blue was nice.  this purple color scheme looks worst.

If it was just the oxygen and water before.  Maybe  darken the blue squares and circles. or a slash through it.

• Like 3

• Developer

Hi @Yaswanth were mods running at the time? Just be aware that even if the game code doesn't detect a particular mod in the stack trace, that it very well might still be a mod that's responsible for the crash. Let us know if the crash occurs with all mods disabled

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ironjoseve said:

If it helps someone, i just deactivate "Mod Manager // by Ony and the crash has gone for me.

I tried that and it is still broken

EDIT: So I delete my mods.json file and restarted. The game comes up. I go into Mods and most of the mods are still active. But some are not:

WGSM
Material Color
No Drop // By Ony
Minibase
Sandbox Tools
Sweep By Type
DGSM
Pliers

I have 43 mods (after removing Mod Manager by ony) so why were the above mods disabled?

EDIT2: Thanks for ruining my weekend. This is unplayable. After trying to play with just the above mods disabled, the game crashes in random places and adds more mods to the list of mods that need to be disabled. How do I revert this update?

Edited by Joe Mucchiello

1 hour ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

I tried that and it is still broken

EDIT: So I delete my mods.json file and restarted. The game comes up. I go into Mods and most of the mods are still active. But some are not:

WGSM
Material Color
No Drop // By Ony
Minibase
Sandbox Tools
Sweep By Type
DGSM
Pliers

I have 43 mods (after removing Mod Manager by ony) so why were the above mods disabled?

EDIT2: Thanks for ruining my weekend. This is unplayable. After trying to play with just the above mods disabled, the game crashes in random places and adds more mods to the list of mods that need to be disabled. How do I revert this update?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1843965353 Ony, the author of Mod Manager, confirms that this mod broke with the update. They're aware of the problem and presumably working on a fix soon. I was also crashing on launch, the game wasn't automatically unchecking any mods but the "see details" option opens a log and I saw Mod Manager explicitly mentioned, so I tried disabling it and now I can get into the main menu and in game (I haven't played at all yet, just loaded). Did you read that log at all before you nuked your .json? I don't use nearly so many mods as you, but I do have pliers, material color, DGSM, and nodrop -- and I can confirm the game loaded just fine with them on, try reenabling them. If they're not working for you, then you might just need to manually update them. Also, perhaps deleting mods.json was a bad call? I recommend renaming files instead of delete so you can keep the old one as a backup.

I'm inexperienced with these things but trying to help. Hope something works. If all else fails, you can probably do a system restore, and then don't let steam download ONI update?

Edited by Byste
  • Like 2

@Joe Mucchiello Try reinstalling the game.. It fixed the no mod crash for me. For some reason the Game/Steam is not removing the mods which have been unsubscribed. They are still persisting in the documents folder. 

2 hours ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

Don't be rude, I can assure you the game means more to the devs than to us. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

If it keeps happening, please post a bug in the bug forums and include your game log. This will help us figure out what's happening. Thanks!

5 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:

Hi @Yaswanth were mods running at the time? Just be aware that even if the game code doesn't detect a particular mod in the stack trace, that it very well might still be a mod that's responsible for the crash. Let us know if the crash occurs with all mods disabled

I was running some mods at the time. But mods were not being removed properly from the documents folder so I reinstalled the game. 

Ok, so I wiped everything and did a clean install of the game. It fixed everything.  

Thanks for the update. Will report back if I find anything else. Have a nice weekend @fatheroctopus and @Ipsquiggle.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

Sorry to tell you, but mod support is still beta. If runs, but there is no claim to work them all the time in perfect order. Modding at your own risk.

But yes, it would be fine if KLEI would provide the fallback option via STEAM to revert to the old version, if the new version results in unplayable condition.

• Like 1

I've been away for a little while, but I must say that I'm enjoying all the changes that have been made.  Thank you, Klei, for all your hard work.  ONI is an awesome game.

Some particular changes that I've appreciated: Fixing some of the heat-transfer shenanigans; making insulated pipes different from radiant; and new since I last played are the solid transport filters.  I'm excited for some of the new changes listed on your road map post. 

Have a great weekend!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yaswanth said:

@Joe Mucchiello Try reinstalling the game.. It fixed the no mod crash for me. For some reason the Game/Steam is not removing the mods which have been unsubscribed. They are still persisting in the documents folder. 

I deleted my mods.json. That stopped the initial problem. But the mods that need to be fixed in not limited to Mod Manager. How does "just a little fix" break a bunch of mods? That's sounds reckless to me.

Additionally, my weekend remains affected. Running reinstalls is not the same as actually playing the game.

28 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

Sorry to tell you, but mod support is still beta. If runs, but there is no claim to work them all the time in perfect order. Modding at your own risk.

But yes, it would be fine if KLEI would provide the fallback option via STEAM to revert to the old version, if the new version results in unplayable condition.

There are some mods that exist that should be in the base game. Bigger camera zoom, for example. Mods have been around for well over a year. Calling that a beta is a little odd. And yes, an easy way to revert to the old version should exist. Or maybe not just release a quick update before beta testing it fully.

2 minutes ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

I deleted my mods.json. That stopped the initial problem. But the mods that need to be fixed in not limited to Mod Manager. How does "just a little fix" break a bunch of mods? That's sounds reckless to me.

Additionally, my weekend remains affected. Running reinstalls is not the same as actually playing the game.

I dont know if you've forgotten but, game updates are not made with mods in mind. If they break, its on the Modders to fix them. Reinstall hardly takes 10 min. It fixed everything for me. If it doesnt for you then play without mods or wait it out till next patch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

How does "just a little fix" break a bunch of mods? That's sounds reckless to me.

If it changes something that all mods interact with then that's enough. In the end the experience you're having is something you sign up for, if you're playing with mods.

5 hours ago, Joe Mucchiello said:

And yes, an easy way to revert to the old version should exist.

First and formost platforms like steam should only install updates, if the player wants to do so, instead of forcing them onto the most current version by default for no good reason by preventing them from starting the game if an update is available. If players can withhold updates for games and mods alike, then there's less of a need to revert to an older version.

If that's not an option, then reverting should be easy. Steam technically offers the option to revert the version of any game already, it just requires dealing with steam's console, which simply isn't feasible for most players.

10 hours ago, Yaswanth said:

I dont know if you've forgotten but, game updates are not made with mods in mind. If they break, its on the Modders to fix them. Reinstall hardly takes 10 min. It fixed everything for me. If it doesnt for you then play without mods or wait it out till next patch.

EDIT I reinstalled. Only one mod is flaking out now. My apologies. The mod that isn't working though is odd: Better Automation Overlay. Doesn't seem related to what's in the game update.

Edited by Joe Mucchiello

Mhmm i think the new Color Sheme is only ok. There would be further improvment when you could choose the color for them. Liked the old Format but the new one is also not bad.

Also i just looked into Biological Cargo Bays since i just got my Moo. Is it intended that Dupes are not able to interact with it? Seems like there is polishing missing. Even the Gassy Moo is Trussed in the Container. This is changed with a QOL Mod.

Also i still find it intresting that Insulation Pipes (Not Isolated) still change Temperature somewhat quick with the Temperature that the Medium Contains even though it is stated that the Thermal Conductivity is 0 if not only near 0 (0.00001) when i think back a while. I know there is a little bit more Math involved which says how a Element transfers Heat with another. I mean if it is stated 0 on one Element it should be still zero because 1x0=0 same with 2000x0=0

Otherwise seems you are on a good road with the Game. Now we need better utilisation of the CPU for the next DLC ^^
Read shortly something about Parallel Execution in C++ would have something especially the Safe Times could maybe be cut with it. But i know this is hard to implement. I don't think this will find a way into the Game and i also don't expect it because of the Topic. But if this happens in a miracle i would throw my hat.

• Like 1