Walter needs to be reworked

Bro, just use slingshots from a distance on them and you’ll be fine- a gold ammo pellet is as damaging as one spear hit.

it takes 3 spear hits to kill a normal spider, it takes 3 gold pellet rounds to achieve the same results.

You can also craft better then gold rounds, Marble rounds which will do more damage then gold ones.

Not being able to gain Sanity back from head garland or top hats is something unique to Walter- and it teaches players alternative ways of restoring their sanity.. Walter has several Sanity restoration abilities within his design. ;) 

1 hour ago, Pikapikap said:

I think this setting about Walter is that players who play Walter need to improve their technical level.It’s not Walter’s problem, it’s the user’s problem.

It's ok, most players won't go for Walter in future and this already shows in server population. Last past days I've seen in pubs so many Walters kicking the proverbial bucket from Shadows that's pretty much clear in my view to whom this character is geared towards: advanced and/or very cautious people - to be played ranged (as intended) or without taking any damage in melee combat. Is free to begin with thus no biggie.

Walter just teaches players to be a little bit more careful before getting armor. I think it teaches players to use chest slot armor, since Walter should always be wearing his Pinetree Pioneer hat, in case of an accidental slip-up. In the early game game, just use his slingshot, easy. 

Once you have armor and his hat, you can fight as normal without sanity issues, but it does take off your chest slot.

It's not that he needs a full on rework, it's just that he has a strange and unique play style that people aren't used to. I do think one hit from a spider means 40 sanity gone if you don't have his hat or some armor is a little bit harsh, but there's nothing we can really do except deal with it.

27 minutes ago, thegreatJash said:

Walter just teaches players to be a little bit more careful before getting armor. I think it teaches players to use chest slot armor, since Walter should always be wearing his Pinetree Pioneer hat, in case of an accidental slip-up. In the early game game, just use his slingshot, easy. 

Once you have armor and his hat, you can fight as normal without sanity issues, but it does take off your chest slot.

It's not that he needs a full on rework, it's just that he has a strange and unique play style that people aren't used to. I do think one hit from a spider means 40 sanity gone if you don't have his hat or some armor is a little bit harsh, but there's nothing we can really do except deal with it.

I think is fair to loose 40 sanity for 20 damage like i think is fair to get 100 damage for darkness because "you shouldnt do that" or "you should be prepare"

His downside is probably the best thing in his character.

I thought this would be a a thread about Woby being uninteresting and disconnected from Walters core, or Walter having a mixed bag of random extra features over a synergistic design, but complaining about his downside is the last thing I expected.

Especially in Vanilla, where shadows are some of the easiest enemies to fight, and sanity over all is a bit of a joke.

3 hours ago, BossManTim said:

Personally i think that walter needs to be reworked as he has a such a massive sanity drop that three spider bites can make you insane and he can't gain sanity from hats. tell me your ideas and opinions. Enjoy 

If you get bitten unarmored.

With his hat equipped and a log suit you will get just 4 sanity per spider bite. With a thulecite armor and your hat, you will get just 2 sanity removed.

You can stay running among dozens of spiders and as long as you don't get hit, you won't lose any sanity. Any other character, even with thulecite armor, and not getting hit, will drop massive amounts of sanity while fighting groups of spiders. 

Please go ahead and test out the character a bit more, change the gamestyle, try using body armor and his hat before fights, try a no backpack run, etc.

I think most of the community has  agreed and suggested that Walter is overall a solid character, but his slingshot's range is what doesn't seem to be working as intended and needs review the most.

I tend to agree with the OP , but really only a minor tweak to the ridiculous sanity loss from a couple hits. I'm fine with not gaining sanity from clothes , but going from full sanity to like a quarter full from a few hits seems excessive to me . Everyone saying "just dont get hit" doesn't seem realistic really in a game like dst to me. I'm about 90 days into a world with Walter and his sanity loss from hits seem too drastic to me . Like his 200 sanity sounds pretty large but considering it goes bye bye with a hit or 2 , it may as well be 50. The only bonus is I have a bit more nightmare fuel then normal since I am constantly fighting shadow creatures haha

I feel like a it should be more like a 5 sanity loss from small damage and about a 15 or 20 sanity loss from big damage. All these people saying dont get hit , I want to see do a twitch stream and take down all bosses with no hits and no rollbacks playing Walter. I'm waiting....

5 minutes ago, themightyone said:

I tend to agree with the OP , but really only a minor tweak to the ridiculous sanity loss from a couple hits. I'm fine with not gaining sanity from clothes , but going from full sanity to like a quarter full from a few hits seems excessive to me . Everyone saying "just dont get hit" doesn't seem realistic really in a game like dst to me. I'm about 90 days into a world with Walter and his sanity loss from hits seem too drastic to me . Like his 200 sanity sounds pretty large but considering it goes bye bye with a hit or 2 , it may as well be 50. The only bonus is I have a bit more nightmare fuel then normal since I am constantly fighting shadow creatures haha

I feel like a it should be more like a 5 sanity loss from small damage and about a 15 or 20 sanity loss from big damage. All these people saying dont get hit , I want to see do a twitch stream and take down all bosses with no hits and no rollbacks playing Walter. I'm waiting....

if you have armor getting hit is not that drastic but if you eat eaw damage when the sanity will drop a lot and i think is fair, what are you doing fighting with no armor? If you think that you will take damage then bring with you sanity food

this character should be played as carefully as playing wormwood

3 hours ago, Pikapikap said:

I think this setting about Walter is that players who play Walter need to improve their technical level.It’s not Walter’s problem, it’s the user’s problem.

Agreed. If someone can't handle character it doesn't mean the character needs to be changed somehow. Walter has weak points, but he has strong skills also.

47 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Especially in Vanilla, where shadows are some of the easiest enemies to fight, and sanity over all is a bit of a joke.

That's your view, a minority. Play pubs and see where bulk player-base skill is.

Not to mention when you fight a boss and get hit for various reasons (starting with sudden and cumulative detrimental factors, and ending with lag plus rubberbanding), you get said boss + Shadow minions. And from there the snowball effect only worsens: each new pile-on of spawned enemies (shadows) brings the potential for more taken-damage which in turn saps your sanity further and spawns more Shadows. And this makes every fight that much harder. Indeed I for one believe Walter has too much stuff going on perks wise, but his downside can go from blissful run to fistful gag in record time if a combat mistake is made (or any taken-damage really). Give one more week and then look at Walter general server population - I reckon numbers will go rock-bottom like the rest of new characters. And is ok being a niche character anyway, and once more - a free one.

2nd place in fastest starving characters throughout the year (1st: Wes)
3rd place in lowest health characters (1st: Maxwell; 2nd: Wes)
Gets punished extra for every mistake he does (e.g. one hit from a spider drains 40 sanity and 14.77 sanity/day)

Klei: "He's a slim character, pretty easy to play."

4 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Gets punished extra for every mistake he does (e.g. one hit from a spider drains 40 sanity and 14.77 sanity/day)

but he shouldnt be reworked or buffed directly (maybe some little changes in how some pellets works)

35 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

in my opinion the entire slim/grim ordeal is a joke

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

It's ok, most players won't go for Walter in future and this already shows in server population. Last past days I've seen in pubs so many Walters kicking the proverbial bucket from Shadows that's pretty much clear in my view to whom this character is geared towards: advanced and/or very cautious people - to be played ranged (as intended) or without taking any damage in melee combat. Is free to begin with thus no biggie.

Still too early to let the numbers relax from new character excitement train, but currently Walter's fairly close to being tied for 3rd most pick character (-0.3% difference from Wilson).

I do see in pubs similar results to those who pick Walter: Death due to something resulting from them being hit.  People see Woby not as Walter's backpack, but just a free chester.  They should try running without a backpack and use his fancy hats more.

23 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

Still too early to let the numbers relax from new character excitement train, but currently Walter's fairly close to being tied for 3rd most pick character (-0.3% difference from Wilson).

I do see in pubs similar results to those who pick Walter: Death due to something resulting from them being hit.  People see Woby not as Walter's backpack, but just a free chester.  They should try running without a backpack and use his fancy hats more.

Yeah she IS A Chester, Klei even acknowledge her as a Chester... and other players can rummage through her Inventory as if she was a Chester... 

Maybe that’s why we see her as a Anyone can access Permanent Chester instead of as this personal Walter backpack idea your trying to talk us into?

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yeah she IS A Chester, Klei even acknowledge her as a Chester... and other players can rummage through her Inventory as if she was a Chester... 

Maybe that’s why we see her as a Anyone can access Permanent Chester instead of as this personal Walter backpack idea your trying to talk us into?

I mean if you're not willing to try things out differently solely based on appearance alone, then that's your prerogative.

2 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I mean if you're not willing to try things out differently solely based on appearance alone, then that's your prerogative.

I get what your saying, but- other players can not steal the Eyebrella your always carrying in your backpack directly out of the backpack while you are wearing it.

If I went by your logic and stored my Eyebrella into Woby.. because she’s supposed to be Walters Backpack- Anyone who comes along can open her up and take my Eyebrella out.

Its safer just to use a Backpack & learn how to utilize the Slingshot.. and avoid taking damage rather then relying on Woby as a Storage box for important things you don’t want taken. 

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I get what your saying, but- other players can not steal the Eyebrella your always carrying in your backpack directly out of the backpack while you are wearing it.

If I went by your logic and stored my Eyebrella into Woby.. because she’s supposed to be Walters Backpack- Anyone who comes along can open her up and take my Eyebrella out.

Its safer just to use a Backpack & learn how to utilize the Slingshot.. and avoid taking damage rather then relying on Woby as a Storage box for important things you don’t want taken. 

Last reply here, but if you have griefers in your room then you have bigger issues to deal with.

10 hours ago, BossManTim said:

Personally i think that walter needs to be reworked as he has a such a massive sanity drop that three spider bites can make you insane and he can't gain sanity from hats. tell me your ideas and opinions. Enjoy 

I feel like this is the same as complaining about standing still near a tentacle and wondering why your hp is dropping fast. 

He's fine as is. Don't get hit. 

Archived