Future of Oxygen Not Included

Hello everybody. I was wondering what's in store next for ONI. I love this game, and I think it has the potential to be huge. 2D games are just limitless (Look at how Terraria exploded in the last decade). Would love to see robotics, nuclear energy, new biomes and critters. And just overall a huge research tree haha. Hope this game will be supported for a long time because its very good and unique.
Cheers!

I believe that Sweepy is KLEI's promise "we know you want robots, look, here is lvl1 robot cleaner - and it is just a teaser for all other robotic ideas we will include in the future"

In terms of nuclear, I don't think this is must have, not without some energy sinks (robots?) - currently we are able to produce tones of energy and nuclear power could be too dangerous to be interested in. I'm not saying it is bad idea - I just don't see application for it right now

2 hours ago, suicide commando said:

Nuclear energy is Most definitely mandatory! How else can we see what happens when our dupes cause a Nuclear meltdown?

Exactly! And how are we ever going to nuke a colony the dupes have screwed up completely without it? 

Ever since I first saw the unused uranium elements in the debug menu I've wanted a nuke reactor in the game. IDK it just sounds so cool! Also I thought of an idea where you have to build the reactor yourself. (There would be no official building for it.) It really needs to be in the game.

Sorry for trailing off to "It really needs to be in the game." Let me explain a bit on the reactor you have to make yourself.  I made these over simplified schematics:

782724507_URANIUMREACTOR.thumb.png.e2681ec723eb8ab6721f862708366e8c.png

Basically the uranium goes through the water and heats it up. That makes the water boil into steam then that steam powers the turbine. Obviously you wouldn't just power one steam turbine.

Nuclear power would be quite an addition. For the players it should be easy to implement like with heating water and driving a steam turbine, but hard to master, as in radiation could spread freely, but can be captured/contained by certain materials like lead or water but would warm them up. And it could contaminate materials to become radioactive itself.

Nuclear power seems like a natural next step in power production. It would make sense if the setup was more complicated and required more advanced resources. Currently each new generator requires a more difficult setup, starting from manual that only needs dupe time all the way to petroleum tha needs piping, waste management and cooling. I think nuclear will be a separate branch rather than extend from renewable power.

Addition of robots as a cathegory might indicate we get more of those. A robo-dupe would be pretty handy and an interesting thing to work with. Maybe other bots would make it in. Auto repair bot, harvester bot, there are a ton of possibilities.

Force fields were teased both in one short and as a space artifact. Maybe we will get to construct those. Would work nicely as a power sink for the nuclear generator if that happens. If it stopped asteroids (vaporized them) it would definetly help with managing the surface.

Space as a whole could use some work. It`s pretty boring atm and not really rewarding as a lategame.

More enviromental dangers. The asteroid is pretty safe most of the time. Cold doesn`t cause damage to dupes and machines. Toxic gasses aren`t really toxic. Agressive creatures don`t seem to bite most of the time (i think that might be a bug). I`d like to see a "dangers" dlc. It would change quite a bit in the midgame and make it more challenging but could be optional for people that prefer to focus on building and designing their base rather than fight the dangers. I`d like to see a true hostile biome like the swamp in DS, full of stuff trying to kill you but having like 1 needed resource so you eventually have to move in there and conquer it.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

More enviromental dangers. The asteroid is pretty safe most of the time. Cold doesn`t cause damage to dupes and machines. Toxic gasses aren`t really toxic. Agressive creatures don`t seem to bite most of the time 

The problem isn't that there isn't enough enviromental dangers. The problem is atmo suits. Every single biome that isn't the starter biome is hostile. Caustic biome is full of unbreathable gasses, Slime biome is full of diseases, Oil biome is hot. But all of these dangers don't mean anything when you have atmo suits. Atmo suits are super easy to get early game. Solution: Nerf atmo suits.  And about the hostile creatures. There are quite a bit of unused hostile creatures that never made it into the game. Clearly the original plan was to have hostile creatures but Klei changed their mind about this and went for a different approach. The idea should still be used at some point though like in the DLC coming soon. (Similar to what you were talking about)

And yeah toxic gasses should be toxic. (And slimelung should be deadly again.)

I don't get, why you want to nerf something in a single player game? OP is okey, you don't have to use it. Buggy should be fixed, OP is nothing, that needs to be fixed. Although it would be ok, if devs want to rebalance, if THEY see a need.

I don't get, why you want to nerf something in a single player game? OP is okey, you don't have to use it. Buggy should be fixed, OP is nothing, that needs to be fixed. Although it would be ok, if devs want to rebalance, if THEY see a need.

1 hour ago, TripleM999 said:

There are tons of reasons balance is important in a single-player game! The strength or impact of mechanics in games affect how valuable or useful other parts of the game are. Take food in ONI, for example. Stick a new plant, 'Tomato' in there. Say it costs 10g of water and 10g of fertilizer to farm, produces many of its own seeds and feeds into a simple recipe that provides high morale. The players of your game are there to solve problems, and the problem of "how do I get food?" just changed to "how do I grow Tomatoes" in most cases. You still have the rest of your robust farming / food system in ONI... just, most players aren't going to engage with it, because game players will take what they see as the simplest path forward, and not always the most fun.

In Radiowave's case, they're pointing out that there -are- environmental hazards in the game, and a whole system around them (Med bays, cures, and the works!) that players just don't have to interact with, because atmo suits are a near-perfect solution that is readily available and you're going to want anyways. The existence of atmo suits changes the design space of ONI. That isn't a good thing or a bad thing, it just is a reality of the game. Talking about nerfing atmo suits is valid, as there's room to broaden the design space of Oni, if done carefully.

Too many bugs and some what broken or wonky mechanics right now for space.   They need to fix space related content  first.   Most people don't ever reach the space content so it seems they're getting away with rushing the game out the door for release and hope people don't notice these bugs.   But I've been beating the game quite frequently and doing a lot of space stuff and it's really frustrating. 

On 6/6/2020 at 8:05 AM, pether said:

I believe that Sweepy is KLEI's promise "we know you want robots, look, here is lvl1 robot cleaner - and it is just a teaser for all other robotic ideas we will include in the future"

In terms of nuclear, I don't think this is must have, not without some energy sinks (robots?) - currently we are able to produce tones of energy and nuclear power could be too dangerous to be interested in. I'm not saying it is bad idea - I just don't see application for it right now

I always dream that at some point you could build a bunch of robots that only can be limited to a room , don't get  stress, eat or sleep and your dupes only rest and relax. 

I believe nuclear energy will be a thing cause if i am not wrong there is something that hints nuclear in the game files. In a few months we should be able to see some preview of the DLC.

I have quite a long wish list for future contents and tweeks:
1) Wood decorations: there are some mods and i believe they are really nice

2) Diseases and biohazard: should have a great impact like slimelung was in the past, on my first days i quite lost a colony due to slimelung infections
a) All kind of Polluted oxygen should harm your dupes and not just give them slimelung or food poisoning if they have germs on it
b) Chlorine and natural / sour gas should burn the dupes or something (maybe with concentration of more than 100 g)

3) Atmo suits: they are overpowered and easy to obtain. There should be a lower tier, maybe biohazard suits or simple gas mask, that helps you get inside biomes with toxic and harmful gas where you find the materials to get atmo suits.

4) More rooms: A kitchen room, which boost maybe food productions or calories. Training Room, so that your new dupes won't stay far behind your starting dupes.

5) Wild and dangerous critters. Some biomes should be infested with critters that can hurt or kill dupes. Maybe creating some equipment to deal with them

6) Space biome has to be revisited, mainly the rocket times. Also the purpose of space is kinda useless, it would be great if you can send 3 dupes to start a new colony and switch from a menù between each colonies

8 hours ago, Artorias36 said:

3) Atmo suits: they are overpowered and easy to obtain. There should be a lower tier, maybe biohazard suits or simple gas mask, that helps you get inside biomes with toxic and harmful gas where you find the materials to get atmo suits.

I suggested protective suit tiers before. Basically the lowest tier protection should be a suit that filters the germs out of the air. No oxygen requirement for that one.

Second tier would be one that just provides oxygen. Maybe give it an easier setup with amnually delivered oxygen, we could use places with manual gas delivery.

Third tier would be the current one that protects from most stuff. Maybe make it require glass so it`s a bit harder to get (and we don`t have many things that need glass anyway).

Final tier would be the jet suits, like currently.

5) Wild and dangerous critters. Some biomes should be infested with critters that can hurt or kill dupes. Maybe creating some equipment to deal with them

I think a biome that is filled with hostile creatures would be similar to the oil biome in how you approach it. You`ll need some infarstructure that handles the critters. I was thinking of them being like spiders from DS. A biome would be full of them crawling around and breaking in would be risky. But they could fear something like bright light so you could build the strong lamps it to keep them away.

2) Diseases and biohazard: should have a great impact like slimelung was in the past, on my first days i quite lost a colony due to slimelung infections
a) All kind of Polluted oxygen should harm your dupes and not just give them slimelung or food poisoning if they have germs on it
b) Chlorine and natural / sour gas should burn the dupes or something (maybe with concentration of more than 100 g)

I think polluted oxygen should reduce morale or cause stress for dupes breathing it. It`s stinky after all.

Chlorine should cause more stress and cause damage to dupes if they spend some time in it but not instantly. There should be also a better way to get rid unwanted gasses from your base. Like a sweep command for gas or a building that traps non-breathable gasses (except CO2) on it`s own.

On 6/6/2020 at 5:09 PM, Radiowave said:

(There would be no official building for it.)

Oops... :wilson_sneaky:

generatornuclear_000.thumb.png.93fcefebd082364823fcdb7ffd42c90b.pngenrichmentcentrifuge_000.png.1e6187f98d4a8c4e96ee13e4e2324f03.png

On the left is your Nuclear Reactor™, and on the right is your Enrichment Centrifuge®.

Spoiler

The reactor uses enriched uranium and outputs an absurd amount of heat. I'm serious. It has its own heat tier which is several times higher than the highest tier in the game.

• Tier 8: 64 kilowatts
  • Tier Nuclear: 16384 kilowatts

Its building description is "Makes an absurd amount of heat"...and as far as I can tell it doesn't even generate power.

The centrifuge uses uranium ore and outputs enriched uranium and molten depleted uranium.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, Artorias36 said:

There should be a lower tier, simple gas mask

mJ73f7K.png

On 6/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, Artorias36 said:

Wild and dangerous critters. Some biomes should be infested with critters that can hurt or kill dupes.

How about an AOE bug that is actively hostile to LITERALLY everything except its own kin? :wilson_curious:

Spoiler

...*Cough*

Spoiler

LcQwloC.png

2 hours ago, Radiowave said:

What if the hostile creatures naturally reproduced without ranching? Or would that be too annoying?

Hmm. A plague of creatures that overwhelms the colony if not addressed in time? I see even more applications for a nuke!

Archived