Jump to content

Add an option to remove luck


Recommended Posts

In DST, luck is a big aspect. Sometimes you get lucky with monster loot, sometimes you do not. Some players like it, which is fine, but it is dumb to force players to involve it in their game: sometimes you just want skill, not luck. Having to endure things like not getting a walking cane after 10000 MakTusks kills is simply dumb. You should not be forced to endure the dices for no reason when you are the only one affected. I do not ask for removing it, I would just like it being optional. Here is how to make this work: for example, you are going into the swamp to kill some tentacles as Wickerbottom to get tentacle spot for your books. Instead of having a 20% chance to drop one each kill, you now get one tentacle spot every 5 kills. The number of times you need to kill a tentacle for getting a tentacle spot is randomly chosen from 1 to 5: once you killed 5 tentacles, the cycle repeats itself. In conclusion, I do not think luck should be removed, but at least the option to remove a good chunk of it would be really nice :).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

% is a feature in almost all games. Good loot always has low %. 

When you always play with cane you are so confortable that when you dont get it at 1st winter could be frustrating but is a non durability speed boost. Adapt, if you dont get it or tam o just play in other way

 

its like ppeople who keep seeds (which im fine, their worlds their rules) get always a perfect map so when a world gen gives a more tricky one they drop the chance of playing in a little more incovenient way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

lol what

 

edit: honestly, at first I thought I was on the terraria forums for a second and this was a thread on removing torch bad luck(for context, in 1.4 placing torches could give you bad luck)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Arubaro this post is about having the option to make the luck average: no more extreme luck or bad luck. Like maybe for permanent, no durability loot like walking cane their could be more kills required. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chenais, you have stepped out of the "i want klei to make this official" territory and have stepped into the "This would be a good mod for people who hate true vanilla survival" territory. i only forewarn you of what's to come should you continue to defend your position that drops from spiders should "not be luck-based".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lemme try to break this down.

     You're talking 'bout percent chance of loot dropping. Not luck, because luck doesn't actually exist. Luck is the chance of something good happening, not loot drops. Luck is merely only a concept of more good things happening to certain people than others. Stuff happens of its own accord as it is not determined by some otherworldly consciousness deciding whether it wants to see you suffer. However the concept of luck and bad luck being real is entirely up to your perspective and your perspective alone. (To philosophical?)

    When it comes to loot drops, it's merely a matter of a program rolling a sort-of "dice" to determine when something drops of not under certain circumstances. not luck. Besides you don't need to have a 1 in 5 sort of deal because you're essentially making a another chance-based system. If (correct me if I'm wrong.) I were to kill 5 tentacles I would be given at least 1 spot not matter what system a game is using. When it comes to mac tusks their loot drops aren't actually all that low. Tusk is 50% chance and Tam is 25%, you wouldn't need to kill hundreds. Games depend on these kinds of code to make it interesting, and I'm not sure if it would be very user-friendly. 

In other words, you're all hat and no cattle and I wouldn't trust you as far as I could throw you. Because you're fixin' to cross the border big time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Well-met said:

I can relate and sympathize with your demand, however rng is vital for grinding games.

plus no one wanna kill 99 krampuses

this game isnt grindy, what is the lowest % drop? 10%? do you call it grindy?

you dont need to kill any krampus for having the best bagpack of the game, klaus has 10% of drop for that item

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

this game isnt grindy, what is the lowest % drop? 10%? do you call it grindy?

you dont need to kill any krampus for having the best bagpack of the game, klaus has 10% of drop for that item

However he appears just once a year and takes an awful amount of resources, risk and effort to beat. Compared to krampii that can be farmed year-round with various setups for chances of several Sack drops klaus is way less reliable and way riskier a method to get the sack.

 

Also, I believe RNG values ingame are fair as they are currently. If they were tuned to skew heavily in our favor the game as a whole would have less risk and more reward if that makes sense, which throws yet another spanner into DST's already oft-criticized "uncompromising survival game" aspect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, GetNerfedOn said:

However he appears just once a year and takes an awful amount of resources, risk and effort to beat. Compared to krampii that can be farmed year-round with various setups for chances of several Sack drops klaus is way less reliable and way riskier a method to get the sack.

 

Also, I believe RNG values ingame are fair as they are currently. If they were tuned to skew heavily in our favor the game as a whole would have less risk and more reward if that makes sense, which throws yet another spanner into DST's already oft-criticized "uncompromising survival game" aspect.

you can kill him 2 times per year if you are lucky finding him. For resources... it depends of how much practise you have fighting him. And is not like you can do only 1 method, im adding the 10% drop to the krampii farming. What i mean is that i get the sack even before of thinking about farm krampi to get it so even the lowest %drop of the game has a way to get it easily

Link to comment
Share on other sites

.... okay so let me try to understand this, you want the games loot drops to be less random by guaranteeing certain loot drops?

For example- I hate Cookie Cutters, I HATE THEM!!! It took me 3 entire seasons just to get the 10 Cookie Cutter Shells I needed for the FIRST upgrade to pearls hermit shack. Why? Because my RNG kept dropping Monster Meats instead of the shells I needed.

What YOU are asking for is an Item or Tool that when used guaranteed that instead of Monster Meat I would have gotten the Shells I needed right? Just like how in Ark Survival Evolved attacking an Animals corpse with a Axe will drop more MEAT then any other resource, or attacking it with a Pickaxe will yield more HIDE then any other resource correct?

Im honestly not sure why your post has so many confused reacts... I guess these people have never played Ark *Shrugs*
But Yes!!!! I would love certain tools that yielded better resource chances instead of relying entirely upon luck & RNG.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ark Survival Evolved attacking an Animals corpse with a Axe will drop more MEAT then any other resource, or attacking it with a Pickaxe will yield more HIDE then any other resource correct?

Correction, it's the other way around. Pick gives more meat, not hide.

Not to mention that we don't harvest the corpses for the loot as they drop automatically, And I don't know 'bout y'all but I don't wanna be killing a koalophant with a pickaxe for more meat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Im honestly not sure why your post has so many confused reacts... I guess these people have never played Ark *Shrugs*

It might have more to do with the fact that the original post has absolutely nothing to do with Ark at all. Besides, I'm sure Ark has some random aspects in it. Almost every game does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It might have more to do with the fact that the original post has absolutely nothing to do with Ark at all. Besides, I'm sure Ark has some random aspects in it. Almost every game does.

It does, but not to the extremities of DST, EVERY Cookie Cutter has a shell on its back, there should be a tool I can kill them with that yields shells more effectively.

Its not bad to reference other games my man, as long as those other games are examples of the topic at hand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It does, but not to the extremities of DST, EVERY Cookie Cutter has a shell on its back, there should be a tool I can kill them with that yields shells more effectively.

Its not bad to reference other games my man, as long as those other games are examples of the topic at hand.

25%. It should be more for making the helmet a thing to consider but is not like you have to kill 2342

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

-snip-

Everytime you're trying to make a valid argument via comparison you either fail or manage to make a very small portion of sensible information between the two games you compare. Almost every game you bring up into a discussion with the topic has either something completely diffrent, or presents the aspect in other way that isn't even remotely close to dst's mechanics, or even better, summon a game that is from an entirely diffrent genre. Do you even know what forums are you posting on? The OP wants RNG to be vitally restricted with the "kill multiple times and get a reward" system because they're either frustrated that they havent received their tam or tusk on first camp clearing or just despise rng itself. Personally i find that idea bad, there would be no thrill of the hunt or excitement whenever you get a very rare item knowing that you will get it sooner or later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, good loot should be RNG, But for more common things that should be part of every enemy type you kill- Cookie Cutters, MacTusk- Etc those types of Enemies should ALWAYS drop Cutter Shells and Tusks.

Because those enemies are always wearing shells or have tusks.

the more rarer items like Tam’O should TOTALLY still be RNG. Otherwise it breaks the game.

But I shouldn’t have to rely entirely on having good luck just to upgrade Pearls Hermit home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because those enemies are always wearing shells or have tusks.

Why, do Krampii not always wear their sacks? Or pigs their skin? Because based on that logic those items should be guaranteed drops as well.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But I shouldn’t have to rely entirely on having good luck just to upgrade Pearls Hermit home.

You don't need much luck, maybe a bit more time when killing the cookie cutters. There are plenty of them and getting the 10 shells really doesn't take very long, even if they drop more sparsly than statistically they should.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...