Worst Character Post Refresh (utility)

Worst Character (refreshed)  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the WORST character (in terms of utility, not design or fun gameplay, personal opinions, refreshed)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/20 at 01:00 AM

Wormwood wasn't refreshed.

Oh wait you included the Wurt and Wortox.

Then I would say Wurt is kinda weird, I like her, but never got me, I don't know if it's the colours or the merm, or being another child, like, I think it's more personal since the mechanics aren't that interesting for me, building a merm megabase and stuff ain't in my inner playstyle

I honestly don't get why Wurt is getting all these votes. Wurt imo is one of the amazing character's that i've played that changed the way i play the game. Wurt's gameplay is more centered around building merm villages and utilizing them as much as possible. If there are buffs or quality of life changes that will be applied to wurt it should be:
1. Merm king's hunger mechanic. I don't really see the point in keeping a fully fed Merm king. Keeping a fully fed Merm king is not really efficient in terms of resource management as oppose to letting the Merm King die and have it replaced with another one. I'd like to suggest that Wurt should gain some kind of compensation with all the trouble of feeding the merm king, some kind of .x damage increase when merm king is fully fed and when the merm king starts to become hungry that damage multiplier will be gone.
2. Merm King's long animation when taking fishes and eating food. Compared to the pig king, you can't keep on spamming these things to the Merm king because of his long animation. Sometimes due to spamming you may accidentally attack the merm king which might turn bad for you. 
3. As stated by others, merms should teleport to their homes after they've been unfriended. its so annoying to have merms stuck all over the world that cant go to their homes.
4.  Merm King should have better rewards for trading, right now the only reason why someone should even bother to trade merm king with fishes is for tentacle spots. trinkets are kinda useless to wurt (cries in solo play) and i dont even bother planting those seeds that you get from the merm king. I suggest maybe the merm king will give better rewards depending on the weight of the fish, the higher the weight the better the rewards. 
5. Merm AI, one would think that Merms will protect wurt when she's being attacked but no. Merms dont protect wurt, in fact,  merms don't really aggro any aggressive mobs. I once had a problem in my visit to the ruins when shadow monkeys started to chase me and i ran to my base thinking that my merms will protect me but they didnt. They should atleast make the Merms attack aggressive mobs when they see them like how bunny men works. 
6. I've read before that Wurt should atleast don't get sanity drain when wet, i think this one is a good idea. She's a merm afterall.

9 hours ago, zepplin12 said:

I honestly don't get why Wurt is getting all these votes. Wurt imo is one of the amazing character's that i've played that changed the way i play the game. Wurt's gameplay is more centered around building merm villages and utilizing them as much as possible. If there are buffs or quality of life changes that will be applied to wurt it should be:

What use does a merm village have that a pig one doesn’t?

The pig one has food, armor, weapons, and manure over merms.

On 5/10/2020 at 9:44 AM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

ps: i dont see how a 75hp character who needs to summon his shadows when he wants to chop or mine (because the rest of the time is desroying decorations) is better that woodie who can do everything. The only god tier thing that has maxwell is the sanity aura

23 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

[SNIP]

While Woodie is generally good at mining, chopping and digging, also good at fighting and excellent for exploring due to his Weregoose form Maxwell is more efficient at gathering logs and rocks and farming NM fuel despite his lack of exploration/combative perks.

Everything @GetNerfedOn said is spot on, and I would like to add 2 other things that are also gamechangers to my point of view:

- Maxwell can pick items up while mass harvesting. It may not seem like much but it does make a huge difference, as a beaver is not un-common that you are 95% done with a large forest then a lightning strikes and burns everything that is on the ground, or while mining at the caves an earthquake starts, and the falling rocks destroy all your minerals production. Picking up while you produce is huge, really.

- Maxwell can defend himself while harvesting. It may cause you to lose a few workers but you can survive whatever comes with proper weapon and armor, the beaver is the weakest form to face fights (can't run away fast enough like the goose would, and can't fight well due to poor armor, poor kiting speed and poor damage) so while you are mass gathering as woodie, you are also at your weakest and most vulnerable state, which is another hidden con in itself.

Woodie has a lot of advantages, and a lot of disadvantages, he is more complex than many people notice.

Maxwell is currently more straightforward. I think its fair that even after his rework maxwell remains the best gatherer of the game, it is not Woodie's thing being the best at anything.

19 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

What use does a merm village have that a pig one doesn’t?

The pig one has food, armor, weapons, and manure over merms.

nobody says that pigs doesnt do that but wurt can do both

they offer choping and mining all day, spider farm (so you dont need to do bunnymen houses too to get it). Pigs only offers meat meanwhile merms offers fish, kelp, frog legs and monster meat (if you put a nest near)

I dont see why the merms should have a lot of things different to the pigs, the ability of using them is enough. Maybe klei can improve merm kings loot but see her pretty useful

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Everything @GetNerfedOn said is spot on, and I would like to add 2 other things that are also gamechangers to my point of view:

- Maxwell can pick items up while mass harvesting. It may not seem like much but it does make a huge difference, as a beaver is not un-common that you are 95% done with a large forest then a lightning strikes and burns everything that is on the ground, or while mining at the caves an earthquake starts, and the falling rocks destroy all your minerals production. Picking up while you produce is huge, really.

- Maxwell can defend himself while harvesting. It may cause you to lose a few workers but you can survive whatever comes with proper weapon and armor, the beaver is the weakest form to face fights (can't run away fast enough like the goose would, and can't fight well due to poor armor, poor kiting speed and poor damage) so while you are mass gathering as woodie, you are also at your weakest and most vulnerable state, which is another hidden con in itself.

Woodie has a lot of advantages, and a lot of disadvantages, he is more complex than many people notice.

Maxwell is currently more straightforward. I think its fair that even after his rework maxwell remains the best gatherer of the game, it is not Woodie's thing being the best at anything.

what i wanted to say is that in general terms i see woodie better than maxwell. Ofc the gather master is maxwell

edit: i re-read my message and i see that seems like i said the opposite when i talked about the shadows but wasnt the intention.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:15 PM, shadowDigga said:

[SNIP]

TL;DR: Warly was nerfed from the character who can survive easier on his own than other survivors to the character that is given pathetic support role of cooking food for Wolfgangs and Werebeavers and can barely manage his own survival.

Warly has s great design but needs some changes to be great, much like what happened to woodie or Wendy when they were reworked. As for Warly himself I consider he should get much longer effects from his time limited food effects.

This would not only make more appealing to take the time to make the special foods, but also use them on yourself.  (EG: glowberry mousse lasts around 2 days for most charscters, lets say on warly the glowing effect would last 3 days. Etc)

The other change that would indirectly make warly better is more general, and a rebalance of the whole farming system:

- Wild crops of different types of vegetables should grow around the world, instead of just carrots. Early game seeking and collecting vegetable ingredients could be a thing.

- Birds should give a guaranteed second specialized seed every time you feed them a vegetable, and the third seed is rng related (it can either not give a third, give a normal seed, or a third specialized seed). This would impact farming a lot and make the process a lot better. It would mean that in the worst case scenario, you always profit at least 50% of your vegetables produce, and can keep the farm renewable over time. (Currently the profit of renewable farming is rng related, generally much less than 50%)

Paired with the fact that you can maybe find whatever crop you were looking for in the wild, it would just make Warly, Wormwood, Wicker, or anyone interested in farming, have a more rewarding experience.

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Warly has s great design but needs some changes to be great, much like what happened to woodie or Wendy when they were reworked. As for Warly himself I consider he should get much longer effects from his time limited food effects.

This would not only make more appealing to take the time to make the special foods, but also use them on yourself.  (EG: glowberry mousse lasts around 2 days for most charscters, lets say on warly the glowing effect would last 3 days. Etc)

The other change that would indirectly make warly better is more general, and a rebalance of the whole farming system:

- Wild crops of different types of vegetables should grow around the world, instead of just carrots. Early game seeking and collecting vegetable ingredients could be a thing.

- Birds should give a guaranteed second specialized seed every time you feed them a vegetable, and the third seed is rng related (it can either not give a third, give a normal seed, or a third specialized seed). This would impact farming a lot and make the process a lot better.

Paired with the fact that you can maybe find whatever crop you were looking for in the wild, it would just make Warly, Wormwood, Wicker, or anyone interested in farming, have a more rewarding experience.

Not so. While he may have trouble in the early game, Warly's probably one of the strongest characters in the game, despite his downsides.

For starters, while his most powerful recipes may be fairly late-game, He still has a good few recipes he can use early-on
>Honey crystals doubles his mining and chopping speed, letting him quickly get a bunch of wood and stone if there's no Woodie or Maxwell.
>Fish cordon bleu lets him ignore wetness while keeping appropriate gear
>Glowberry mousse lets him explore the caves and ruins with a football helmet, backpack, *and* weapon equipped
>Voltgoat Chaud-froid increases his damage by 50% passivly, and by 150% when enemies are wet, thus making him even more effective then Wolfgang

And then once you do get situated enough to make a bunch of farms, so many more options open up that make him even stronger

>Garlic and Chilie powder just make him Stronk

>Moqueca is just strong, restoring significant ammounts of all 3 stats.

>Dragon Chillie salad just lets him ignore Summer and Winter

And ontop of all that, He can make other characters just as powerful as he is. And because food spoils/is finite, You, at most, would have to swap to him very frequently, unlike Winona who you only have to swap too once or Twice

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I dont see why the merms should have a lot of things different to the pigs, the ability of using them is enough. Maybe klei can improve merm kings loot but see her pretty useful

They can be mostly the same, but something should be unique about them or even more convenient. Most of the food you listed gets turned into eggs, for decent hunger food, yet still needs non fillers, and is much less flexible that what every other character has access to. 

3 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

They can be mostly the same, but something should be unique about them or even more convenient. Most of the food you listed gets turned into eggs, for decent hunger food, yet still needs non fillers, and is much less flexible that what every other character has access to. 

but you can have as wurt a pig farm and a merm farm, wilson no. You can help a lot with the easiest way of get surf n turf

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but you can have as wurt a pig farm and a merm farm, wilson no. You can help a lot with the easiest way of get surf n turf

You can “have” those farms, but you can’t eat from them or control pigs ideally enough to convert them for pig skin. Wilson gets more from a pig farm than Wurt gets from both.

why even mention surf and turf? she can’t eat that either.

14 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

He can make other characters just as powerful as he is.

Or he can make other characters, who already as powerful or even more powerful than Warly, more than twice as powerful as they were, i.e. Overpowered.

16 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

And because food spoils/is finite, You, at most, would have to swap to him very frequently

In terms of spoilage:

• Bundling Wrap does exist and it stops spoilage by 100% (unless you're near a sporecloud due to a bug)
  • Spoilage does not affect the effect at all, only the gained stats, making spoiled food as good as fresh food
  • Unlike Ham Bat or the Clever Disguise you don't need to carry food non-stop with you. You can unpack it, consume it, and repack the leftovers to keep it fresh as long as possible
  • Since Powdercake and Jellybeans do (almost) not spoil at all, you can use them to get non-spoiling seasoned food

10 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

You can “have” those farms, but you can’t eat from them or control pigs ideally enough to convert them for pig skin. Wilson gets more from a pig farm than Wurt gets from both.

why even mention surf and turf? she can’t eat that either.

because is multiplayer?

im agree that for a single person wurt is not that great because 90% of the loot is trash for wurt but she is very helpful in a team

On 5/10/2020 at 12:59 AM, Mike23Ua said:

You should vote for WINONA but not because I’m telling you to- but more because she can use trusty tape to fix a portal that exploded.. but she can’t use her trusty tape to fix a simple alchemy engine someone burned down.

Something don’t sit right there at all.. If you rewatch Winona’s short she uses all sorts of workers tools- yet in the game she gets Catapults instead of fixing skills. Bahhh poor Winona. :( 

Exactly! Winona deserves more, she’s an interesting character and quite important to the lore (she is Charlie’s sister after all) and what do we get from her in game? Catapults-

1 hour ago, MagicalSkies said:

Exactly! Winona deserves more, she’s an interesting character and quite important to the lore (she is Charlie’s sister after all) and what do we get from her in game? Catapults-

I believe she should have cooler gadgets, like her boss Swagstaff, Swagstaff has a teleporter, a thumper that can farm logs forever, budget moggles, amazing head armor (if you don't mention the fact that you can't see anything)

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

>Honey crystals doubles his mining and chopping speed, letting him quickly get a bunch of wood and stone if there's no Woodie or Maxwell.

That's probably the only spice out of those he makes that offsets the time of getting it by the one saved by it.

>Fish cordon bleu lets him ignore wetness while keeping appropriate gear

For the whooping 5 minutes or 62,5% of game day. Also, you are probably judging by the theory, I don't think you'd bother playing that way yourself.

>Voltgoat Chaud-froid increases his damage by 50% passivly, and by 150% when enemies are wet, thus making him even more effective then Wolfgang

Again, that's something that sounds good on paper, but doesn't come handy very often. Unless you use it for boss fights it will always feel a waste of horn compared to morning star that can be put on hold.

And then once you do get situated enough to make a bunch of farms, so many more options open up that make him even stronger

From there you provide a long list of "many more options" that consists of 3 (THREE) points. Yes, that's a lot, especially if you don't mention downsides that come with those 'upsides'.

>Garlic and Chilie powder just make him Stronk

Except they don't. Pepper powder is probably only used on voltgoat jelly and/or powdercakes to further increase its damage output in term of absolute value rather than relative. Garlic powder also doesn't make much of a difference

>Moqueca is just strong, restoring significant ammounts of all 3 stats.

Surf'n'Turf has the same sanity and health value and is easier to make and doesn't require farms. For hunger value, use Meaty Stew and Meatballs. It's almost like saying Waffles are better than Pierogi when they restore just 20 hp more and are much harder to make.

>Dragon Chillie salad just lets him ignore Summer and Winter

This statement reveals the fact that you personally never used it, because if you did you'd have known that Dragon Chilly salad is only useful during Winter because it raises the temperature and in Summer there's another dish that lowers it. Both of those grant effects that last whole 5 minutes. Considering that both winter and summer last 15 days on default settings, you'd need to make 24 dishes to survive each season. Not too much, eh? Definitely something that can be done in a couple of minutes and never bother you again with things like spoiling and overall a better option than having a thermal stone.

Please do not provide an opposite opinion on something if you don't even have enough personal experience with. Please try to follow your own advices for Warly and then tell how that turned out for you. Did you manage to achieve much playing as Warly compared to other characters? I mean, you have this awesome Voltgoat jelly and honey crystals, you'll probably get those toadstools killed in no time! Did you manage to overcome the urge to fall asleep from doing chores like going back and forth from your farms to bird cage? Did both winter and summer feel like a breeze with those amazing dishes with long-lasting 5 minute effects that don't take too long to be obtained in necessary amount to survive a whole season?

On 5/10/2020 at 12:20 PM, Catteflyterpill said:

I strongly disagree. I think Warly is a lot of fun to play, and I only ever play by myself. Only being able to eat crock pot foods forces me to plan in advance for exploration and be more creative with my meals. I think that his perks are also a huge benefit, with some really strong spices and meals. I mean each player to their own playstyle, but I personally love playing Warly.

Did you play Warly in single player Don't Starve?

8 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

That's probably the only spice out of those he makes that offsets the time of getting it by the one saved by it.

perhaps, but They also save weapon and armor durability, and sanity restoration food.

For the whooping 5 minutes or 62,5% of game day. Also, you are probably judging by the theory, I don't think you'd bother playing that way yourself.

Immunity to wetness is still immunity to wetness. Especially in situations where you really don't want to be wet, but can't use an umbrella

Again, that's something that sounds good on paper, but doesn't come handy very often. Unless you use it for boss fights it will always feel a waste of horn compared to morning star that can be put on hold.

How is a free 50% damage bonus not good? Also, if we're talking just normal fighting, then a Hambat is much easier and more efficent to make than a morning star.

From there you provide a long list of "many more options" that consists of 3 (THREE) points. Yes, that's a lot, especially if you don't mention downsides that come with those 'upsides'.

That... is fair. I didn't realize how many of his recipes I had listed off already.

Except they don't. Pepper powder is probably only used on voltgoat jelly and/or powdercakes to further increase its damage output in term of absolute value rather than relative. Garlic powder also doesn't make much of a difference

Damage and resistance are damage and resistance.

Surf'n'Turf has the same sanity and health value and is easier to make and doesn't require farms. For hunger value, use Meaty Stew and Meatballs. It's almost like saying Waffles are better than Pierogi when they restore just 20 hp more and are much harder to make.

That's fair. I haven't played with RoT content much so I forgot to take that into account

This statement reveals the fact that you personally never used it, because if you did you'd have known that Dragon Chilly salad is only useful during Winter because it raises the temperature and in Summer there's another dish that lowers it. Both of those grant effects that last whole 5 minutes. Considering that both winter and summer last 15 days on default settings, you'd need to make 24 dishes to survive each season. Not too much, eh? Definitely something that can be done in a couple of minutes and never bother you again with things like spoiling and overall a better option than having a thermal stone.

While I do admit that I don't usually stick with worlds long enough too use the two items, That is actually a Typo. I am fully aware that Dragon chillie salad and Asparagazpacho are two different things. The Snarkiness is unnecessary.

Also, While I admit I may have exaggerated their effectiveness a bit, your example is assuming that the player is using them as there only source of tempature control in there respective seasons. Eating those foods raise there tempature, meaning that you're effectivly re-setting how long it takes to grow hot or cold, Which will massivly pro-long how long you can stay out with a beefalo hat or Eyebrella. And if they're in base they're probably going to be using a fire

Please do not provide an opposite opinion on something if you don't even have enough personal experience with. Please try to follow your own advices for Warly and then tell how that turned out for you. Did you manage to achieve much playing as Warly compared to other characters? I mean, you have this awesome Voltgoat jelly and honey crystals, you'll probably get those toadstools killed in no time! Did you manage to overcome the urge to fall asleep from doing chores like going back and forth from your farms to bird cage? Did both winter and summer feel like a breeze with those amazing dishes with long-lasting 5 minute effects that don't take too long to be obtained in necessary amount to survive a whole season?

See, that's the thing you're missing. Don't starve is a Single-player game, and Warly is one of the few Support Characters. This means that not only is he upping his strength and productivity, But nearly everything that other characters can do can be improved by having a Warly. Woodie can cut down trees twice as fast as he already can with honey crystals, Wigfrid can be even tankier with garlic powder, 2 Wolfgangs may have a damage output of 4 players, but a Wolfgang and a Warly can have the damage output of nearly 9 players

Did you play Warly in single player?

No. but I don't see how that's relevent too the question at hand.

As someone who was talking about Warly with friends a few hours ago and decided to check the forums, I want to say that Warly is to me the worst character. Not in terms of stats or unique perks or anything like it, those are fine. My one problem is his dietary needs. He already can't eat things like koalefant trunk, jerky or green caps, but for a chef of all people to have food restrictions it feels weird. At least take away the diminishing effects of eating the same crock pot food. He can't use Pierogis or Honey Hams for healing, he can't use Taffy for sanity. What is he even good for? Buffing Wolfgang with certain spices? Big deal. Honestly, I love the character, his design, his unique items, his theme, but his weakness kills his early game so bad it makes me not want to play with him at all

1 hour ago, Zheos said:

As someone who was talking about Warly with friends a few hours ago and decided to check the forums, I want to say that Warly is to me the worst character. Not in terms of stats or unique perks or anything like it, those are fine. My one problem is his dietary needs. He already can't eat things like koalefant trunk, jerky or green caps, but for a chef of all people to have food restrictions it feels weird. At least take away the diminishing effects of eating the same crock pot food. He can't use Pierogis or Honey Hams for healing, he can't use Taffy for sanity. What is he even good for? Buffing Wolfgang with certain spices? Big deal. Honestly, I love the character, his design, his unique items, his theme, but his weakness kills his early game so bad it makes me not want to play with him at all

you can use pierogis and honey hams for healing but you cant stack 1 kind of food and spam it. If you need a lot of healing there is another characters to practise

Archived