What do you think dst lacks?

What aspect of the game do you think is the most lacking?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect of the game do you think is the most lacking?

• Survival (exploration)
    • Survival (resources)
    • Survival (fighting)
    • Survival (character's stats etc)
    • Atmosphere (ambiance)
    • Atmosphere (flora and fauna interactions)
    • Atmosphere (in-game world, biomes etc)
    • Creativity (magabese building)
    • Creativity (making own biomes, setpieces etc)
    • Bosses

22 minutes ago, Canis said:

a battle royale

The servers are already nothing but pvp rather pve, even then pvp is dead. EVEN THEN, how fair can you make a pvp server? so many little things not taken care.

We need more and more powerful monsters and bosses.

There is also a new ecological environment and creatures. Maybe some farm animals like cows, I think that with the ability of klei, it can be better.

There are also many underground caves that can be developed and utilized.

I think for now, there are infinite possibilities for dst to become better and more interesting.

Hope klei can bring more surprises in the future.

Y'know, I truly don't care if the game gets easier, harder, or whatever; I just simply want to FEEL something when I play through the never-ending days in the game. I get bored of just filling a quota every day without interaction from anything else (even IF I'm playing with other players), and the closest thing we have to an interactive story in-game is the quotes the Fuelweaver says. Dark aspects, mild-horror aspects, interactive story with NPCs, and maybe sprinkling in some wholesome aspects too would be a nice touch to make the game feel more organic. 

Tbh, I always wanted to see the stars in the game, maybe through a craftable telescope that lets you make your own constellations? I love watching stars in real life, and this would be a great start to giving the game more life in my opinion of course.

3 hours ago, joker177 said:

We need more and more powerful monsters and bosses.

There is also a new ecological environment and creatures. Maybe some farm animals like cows, I think that with the ability of klei, it can be better.

There are also many underground caves that can be developed and utilized.

I think for now, there are infinite possibilities for dst to become better and more interesting.

Hope klei can bring more surprises in the future.

maybe add some new drops for beat monsters.Brand new equipment and recipes.dst has unlimited possibilities. show me what you got bro!

I'm pretty sure I'm safe in stating that many of us would like something about improving anything regarding the atmosphere. Many of our numbers would love for the feeling that The Constant doesn't revolve around the survivors. There was a thread dedicated to this feature and there were many wholesome ideas.

Of course improving the atmosphere and adding quirky little encounters may be taxing on Klei's part so I do hope that they will not attempt to add the features in the following updates but instead do it after the main lore and updates have been added.

Another thing would be immersive combat which yet again would be time-consuming. I believe that it would be more fun if the mobs don't have a set pattern of attacks and instead are sorta unpredictable in their attacks. I'm not sure how to put my thoughts into words but like make combat more than just kiting I suppose. Hounds for example could do a lunge that isn't as predictable but they would be like the boars in Forge where they lunge forward.

To make this feature more noob-friendly we could add scaling. Such as Hounds will only start lunging at around Day 50 where you start having to circle them instead of just walking back and forth. Just give it a more interactive and adaptive style of fighting.

1 hour ago, Booklover said:

Another thing would be immersive combat which yet again would be time-consuming. I believe that it would be more fun if the mobs don't have a set pattern of attacks and instead are sorta unpredictable in their attacks. I'm not sure how to put my thoughts into words but like make combat more than just kiting I suppose. Hounds for example could do a lunge that isn't as predictable but they would be like the boars in Forge where they lunge forward.

To make this feature more noob-friendly we could add scaling. Such as Hounds will only start lunging at around Day 50 where you start having to circle them instead of just walking back and forth. Just give it a more interactive and adaptive style of fighting.

The problem with random attacks is that it encourages players to tank enemies which is even less immersive then kiting imo

3 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It lacks caves content. Outside of lightbulbs, ruins and toadstool... there's no point in exploring the caves.

I mean, considering that the game can't have caves unless you parallel run another server, it is understandable why there isn't much to the caves so that players don't feel cheated out of too much stuff. That being said, a little bit more content in the caves would be nice but it would have to be in the ruins as thats where it can affect the player the most then in the wide cavern.

1 hour ago, sovon9 said:

In my opinion the colors and atmosphere needs to be changed. There should be some more vibrant colors and atmosphere through we can feel the beauty of the nature

"And if we pan over here, we can see that the pine tress are finally starting to throw out there old nettles and are instead going for dark blue for the season." But in all seriousness, most of nature is actually pretty dark and murky and thus the colors in Don't Starve actually make sense. Besides Autum leafs transitions (which already happen with the drcidous kind) there is that much that would change every season. Hamlet may make you believe that it maybe possible, but the difference is that the constant is in a more all around environment (all 4 seasons in a loop) while Hamlet is in a more Jungle environment which is naturally more colorful then a bleated forest. While the color types Klei uses are mostly darks, there use actually mimics life better.

55 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

I mean, considering that the game can't have caves unless you parallel run another server, it is understandable why there isn't much to the caves so that players don't feel cheated out of too much stuff. That being said, a little bit more content in the caves would be nice but it would have to be in the ruins as thats where it can affect the player the most then in the wide cavern.

"And if we pan over here, we can see that the pine tress are finally starting to throw out there old nettles and are instead going for dark blue for the season." But in all seriousness, most of nature is actually pretty dark and murky and thus the colors in Don't Starve actually make sense. Besides Autum leafs transitions (which already happen with the drcidous kind) there is that much that would change every season. Hamlet may make you believe that it maybe possible, but the difference is that the constant is in a more all around environment (all 4 seasons in a loop) while Hamlet is in a more Jungle environment which is naturally more colorful then a bleated forest. While the color types Klei uses are mostly darks, there use actually mimics life better.

But in caves are a lot of grass and muddy biome almost empty so they can add new areas or even isolated areas like atrium

In my case i like the state of the combat system, its simple but at the same time difficult. You "must" to fight perfectly or you will get a lot of damage even against spiders, i only would love more armor and weapons like they already are doing addding coockie helmet and glass cutter

12 hours ago, emin61 said:

The servers are already nothing but pvp rather pve, even then pvp is dead. EVEN THEN, how fair can you make a pvp server? so many little things not taken care.

DST never was geared towards PvP, mostly because is not balanced with that in mind and its combat system is very simplistic (yet easy to learn) - PvP represented only a marginal "side-dish" choice, something to have solely for the sake of having an additional and peripheral "lel" option, like a sub-mediocre spice on an otherwise generally nice steak. We had a Battle Arena in Forge, albeit still PvE. One would need to have the entire cast of DST re-re-balanced for a viable PvP and that without a guarantee current player-base won't be affected negatively because of inherent character nerfs. As for what theoretical number of people from current player-base is interested in a PvP-centric DST and what other PvP-invested new audience could be suddenly interested in a PvP-centric Battle Royale DST is anyone's guess, more so as would most likely be at hypothetical expense of current player-base - from what I for one saw during years, most people playing DST aren't the belligerent crowd-type PvP cultivates (case in point: myself - would be out of DST no-other-questions-asked the moment DST would go a PvP-centric road, because of intrinsic player toxicity vast majority of PvP games is plagued by - 3 years in World of Tanks cured me of even the lightest desire to try another PvP environment). One could argue for a Battle Royale Forge-type mini-game in DST context with separate character re-re-balance, but that would have to wait post full-release of "Return of Them" update. Don't also forget: time and money needed as investment in developing such PvP option in one form or another need to be legitimated by a strong demand or proof of such strong interest. Again, at least in my case, PvP interest is 0 even as a Forge-type mini-game with lore attachment (i.e. Them or Charlie pitting survivors one-against-the-other via various machinations).

Regarding what I personally consider DST lacks: a general environment evolution, biomes, mobs and bosses alike. Perhaps in the same vein of "Through the Ages" concept. More types and variations of seasons and weather, mobs becoming smarter as time passes or post a Fw-take-down-type event (aka player-trigger) perhaps related to some "Moon" entity boss. More building materials, harsher conditions, a bit more variation on periodic danger-mob-waves, a lot more Cave content/attractions, etc. Maybe even more complex weapons and weapon-attacks akin Forge when the AI of mobs gets a speculative level-up.

16 hours ago, DarkRooster said:

I swear to god only thing that lacks in public servers is that people don't start with 3 flints. 

And that is pretty annoying issue if you play with 10+ people group that scavenge every flint on entire surface and caves.

If i somehow magically manage to find any flint or anyone with it, i will just never lose ever.

Scare birds until they drop 1 flint, scare more birds while you drop your flint far from the bird you're scaring. Or Woodie and Wurt with merms.

15 hours ago, Hornete said:

In what game does that not happen?

In games where even after 10 years there are still things to be discovered because the game isn't on PC and can't be data mined as easily. Just look up old games and how long it took to find some of their easter eggs and/or obscure mechanics in the game. And then there is chess and shogi.

15 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

In games where even after 10 years there are still things to be discovered because the game isn't on PC and can't be data mined as easily. Just look up old games and how long it took to find some of their easter eggs and/or obscure mechanics in the game.

Offtopic regarding this issue: yes, such Easter Eggs and other hidden aspects of games couldn't easily be found out because - 1) information dissemination via Internet didn't exist, only way you could find bits-and-pieces of trivia was from paper-published booklets and articles in specialized magazines, and 2) there were far-less PC-users and those users weren't tech or programming savvy, rather simple gamers.

Nowadays achieving such things on modern PC games (or consoles for that matter) is next-to-impossible. Even when you google (or whatever search engine you use) the name of a game, almost always on 1st page you get results as "Complete Walkthrough, 15 hidden secrets, All cheat codes etc".

I personally thinks that the game in general lacks a clear "game progression indication", so many newbies feel lost and lose interest of the game very fast.

Something like a journal that updates player progression would very awesome, it could include discovered crockpot recipes, mobs, quests and many more.

17 hours ago, Squirrel12 said:

Better animal farming mechanics. 

There's a lot of animals that are really interesting to farm. Volt Goats for example. I wish there was a way of milking them for example or breeding them in way that was interesting in an interesting. Like Beefalo, you could get little cute billy goats. Same for other animals, like No-Eyed deer. 

Also, pets. Critters suck. They suck big time. 

I know how you feel!

Check out my post to see what i want to change about pets!

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Speedrunning community are still finding new things, even with the internet and what not. And there are plenty of singleplayers and multiplayer games that don't receives any updates that takes a few years of constant change until the community figures out what works best, tier lists discussions, new mechanics, new glitches, new ai manipulation, etc. Contrary to what whoever it was said, not all things in every game nowadays  gets everything discovered in a month or so, there will always be a few exceptions where people will overlook something.

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

Speedrunning community are still finding new things, even with the internet and what not. And there are plenty of singleplayers and multiplayer games that don't receives any updates that takes a few years of constant change until the community figures out what works best, tier lists discussions, new mechanics, new glitches, new ai manipulation, etc. Contrary to what whoever it was said, not all things in every game nowadays  gets everything discovered in a month or so, there will always be a few exceptions where people will overlook something.

There are a lot of variables there to discuss in relation to punctual "whys".

Regarding true speedruns in DST context: not the best game for that. Is a sandbox with procedural map generations so if we take for example a DF speedrun, in one generation you can have its desert right beside Spawn Gate while in another at some far-end of Constant; and in normal circumstances you have no real clue what is the case, thus player-completion times are incompatible for a fair judgement precisely because of this RNG (plus I don't even count mods or console commands for obvious reasons).

Then you have game popularity and implicit player-base size: a game with relative high number of players will have its secrets discovered on average far-quicker than some obscure small-player-count one - 1 explanation for "it took years for X stuff to be found", and a quite rhetorical one at that.

And lastly even in DST's case there still are cryptic aspects discovered in present, glitches, obscure strats and such, some not even reaching the proverbial ears of interested players bulk, counting right these forums where - mind you - only a tiny fraction of total player-base is coming, even smaller one actually engaging in discussions via comments and/or reactions. For a punctual example I could name you a forumite here that discovered a way to abuse Wig's mechanics in a certain boss fight with pretty absurd outcomes, but won't do so as per respecting their choice of not making said knowledge "public". Another punctual, so-and-so known exploit, and pretty recently made "public" (last year/2019): the repeated gland "revival" at-death's-moment of bosses like AG or Klaus for ridiculous amounts of loot (quickly fixed after made "public"). Plus much more.

12 hours ago, Frashaw27 said:

That being said, a little bit more content in the caves would be nice but it would have to be in the ruins as thats where it can affect the player the most then in the wide cavern.

I honestly don't understand how new caves content would have to be in the ruins. 90% of caves content is in there already. If someone has access to the ruins, they have access to the entire caves. It would be nice if the rest of the caves had something worthwhile in them.

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

I honestly don't understand how new caves content would have to be in the ruins. 90% of caves content is in there already. If someone has access to the ruins, they have access to the entire caves. It would be nice if the rest of the caves had something worthwhile in them.

Because caves are suppose to be barren and empty. Even really big caves don't have much in them besides the few occational mushrooms and worms and so there isn't much to see or get unless you are looking for rocks or mushrooms. DST mimics this well enough by having content in the caves with things like the rock eating rock lobsters and depth worms that can feasibly live inside the cave enviroment, while not having so mich that it crowds the caves. The spacing out of content also helps build the atmosphere of the caves by giving breathing time between each new thing. On the surface there is something to take note of almost every minute and so there is almost no time in between those discoveries to ponder on them, where as in the caves they provide the player to question their sirroundings and how they work. The barren nature of the caves helps gives players that sense of atmosphere that some people want.

The ruins on the other hand is the place where content can be added since that is the place where we don't know what it's capable of. In the normal caves, you can expect to see animals and things since it is by and large, a natrual area that has been taken over by wild life. But in the ruins there is no expectations on what they could add. Maybe more mobs corrupted by the fuel, more machines that would act as powerful mini bosses to add more danger, more technology stations for more recipes and items (a majority of the recipes are magic based in the APSS, we can assume that it is the magic learning device and thus their might be a scientific reaserch station), more ways the noghtmare cycle can effect the world like if you haven't been there in a in game year (after the first time you go there) nightmare fissure will start appearing on the surface in droves to drive the player back into the caves/ruins to avoid them. Content like the one's I mentioned is why the ruins have so much potential, the lack of knowlage opens up a world of possibilities of content we can see in the ruins.

I hope to have convinced you why the ruins, like the lunar island in the ocean, is the main place where updates could be squeezed into. As compromise, however, how about as you explore closer and closer to the ruins, you wpuld start seeing rememts of the ancients attemps to expand from the ruins. Maybe a few broken clockworks here, a few heavily damaged mini bosses I meantion earlier (akin to the damaged guardians in BOTW) maybe a broken staue as you get closer and closer to lead towards the ruins. That would help fill up the caves without making it crowded, add more atmosphere to the caves due to the lack of explenation of these things, and would draw players into the ruins easier, to where they can find the main attraction of the caves.

Archived