What do you think dst lacks?

What aspect of the game do you think is the most lacking?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. What aspect of the game do you think is the most lacking?

• Survival (exploration)
    • Survival (resources)
    • Survival (fighting)
    • Survival (character's stats etc)
    • Atmosphere (ambiance)
    • Atmosphere (flora and fauna interactions)
    • Atmosphere (in-game world, biomes etc)
    • Creativity (magabese building)
    • Creativity (making own biomes, setpieces etc)
    • Bosses

38 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

What DST lacks, hmm...

Gramophone! I would like to have a gramophone playing music that I could change in my base. (cause, why not?)

That sounds like a really cool idea, actually! Perhaps certain bosses could have a chance to drop specific music records to play on the gramophone. (I'd love some new seasonal ragtime songs! :O)

To be honest, thanks to a combination of being mostly satisfied with DST's gameplay and running into really awful people on a few rare but memorable occasions, the feature I think DST lacks is ways to deal with toxic players when you're not a server admin. If someone's not breaking the Terms of Service but being enough of a jerk that you want to block them, blocking them through Steam does nothing in-game - you can still see everything they say in chat - and if they are breaking the Terms of Service with, like, death threats or racial slurs or something (as happened to me once in a 2018 Forge match after I picked a character someone else considered subpar) you can report them to Steam but not to Klei.

1 hour ago, Frashaw27 said:

-snip-

The game isn't exactly a realistic survival simulator. Sacrifices to realism are made everywhere to make the game more interesting. I'm just saying that from a pure gameplay perspective, caves are pointless due to all the worthwhile content being put into a specific area. I simply want to have more of a reason to explore and live in the caves.

It's been said to death, but DST could use more things to pull players out of their comfort zone. After a full year the player has seen all the "unavoidable" threats. Everything from then on is either a repeat, or challenges of their own choosing. And while I would enjoy new proceeding threats the concept for "Through the Ages" was also a breath of fresh air.

Resource Variants

A little bit of RNG goes a long way for replayability. What we got was simple: alternate methods of obtaining grass, twigs, and berries but the changes were significant (in my opinion) despite the simplicity. Knowing exactly what to expect for each and every obstacle is very "comfortable" and doesn't require adaptability once you've found that one strategy that works. I would love to see variants taken to a new level. Give us alternate creatures, alternate seasonal effects, alternate seasonal bosses (Howl - Snow wolf/owl; Scorpyawn - scorpion with paralysis, etc etc), or even alternate biomes.

Variant content would add a new level of replayability but I don't want it to fall into the hole of "I didn't get the one meta variant so I gotta restart". Variants should trickle in. What you start with isn't what you're stuck with (how this would work for biomes I don't know), but will shape your early-game strategy from relying on particular things.

Viability

There is a significant number of items, structures, and mechanics that don't see the light of day due to not being viable alternatives to the "better" options. Part of this is due to balancing, but also the inflexibility of core mechanics. Things like Combat & Hunger are considerably simple that meatballs & hambats basically own the average player because of how simple/effective they are. Obviously there are better things, but for a good majority of people that's all they aim for because that's effectively all they need. 

I'm not proposing we make everyone a Warly and turn to Forge mechanics. I'm not proposing anything specific infact, but some change could open new doors. Overhauling Hunger allows for Farming, Fishing, and Cooking to be overhauled, as well, into something that allows each alternative to have their own pros and cons but be just as viable. Combat might just be better off with tweaking values though it's hard to say without a concept.

Environmental Effects

The Lunar Island & the Poison Jungle (from Hamlet) are neat examples of environmental effects. The Lunar Island flips your sanity while the poison jungle requires specific gear to traverse—moreso traversing the jungle (and ruin) is required to reach another section of the world. I'd love to see more of these kinds of dangers make it into DST biomes. Klei could even just expand on the existing biomes. Ex. Add a deep swamp that contains different resources, but traversing it raises wetness. Or a dark forest that (also contains different resources) but is always considered night. There are lots of possibilites.

Encroaching Threats

The big one that's being said again and again. Right now seasons make up for the unavoidable threats. They're challenges we have to overcome, or else we die. Within these big effects (freezing, wetness, overheating) are other obstacles (deerclops, goose/frog rain, antlion). I'd argue that there's still room for 1-2 more challenging effects without making the game too tedious BUT as said earlier, introduce them as the game progresses. In this case, beyond Year 1 (Bearger is a good example of this for Autumn).

Large tentacles are emerging from below?! Rabbits big and small aren't coming out of their homes?! Plants are refusing to grow?! Massive waves are crashing against the mainland?! Snow is piling up at incredible speed?! Whatever, whatever.  Etc, etc.

Cut-off something the player (may) need and have them either trudge through the threat until it's gone, or seek out the cause and remove it. Some might force the player the deal with it (ie. an incoming boss), while another might be able to worked around but limit them (ie. antlion).

Fin

I could go on, but that's good for now. I understand a handful of these things are unreasonable changes for a game that's already fully released, but they're still things I'd love to see reasonable or not.

HERE HERE!  (to CameoAppearance)  One time, somebody issued a threat of....um..."sexual assault" to another player, on my server.  A female player, who was also playing WENDY at the time.  Then he left immediately afterwards so I couldn't click on his name to ban him.

I've wanted something to actually _happen_ to this player to STOP them ever being able to do this kind of thing again, ever since.  But there's no mechanism for it.  I kept the chat logs,. circled the relevant parts and sent them in to Steam, but that's all I could do.

ANYway.  Definitely ambiance/atmosphere stuff.  I mean, that's a big part of the reason why I love the "big trees" mods.  It makes your forests look more...foresty, like they're proper untouched wildernesses that have been allowed to grow unchecked for centuries:

willowandtherainforest.thumb.png.5339f5466fccb75eaf5fa25751879a84.png082bonkersforest.png.2defdf76d5991195b858ab419d994c12.png

(well actually the first picture here looks more like something from a Miyazaki film, but it does accomplish the "make the character look smaller next to the bigness of nature" thing) but since the bigger trees _do_ block your view of the screen, I can see very much why this is a mod instead of regular game content.  If it was, it should of course be configurable in worldgen options--how big do you want to allow trees to get?: (At the bigger sizes they DO drop more wood and/or seeds, by the way.)

Anyway that's the exact reason I use these mods:  Atmosphere.  Having a forest with more variety of heights

096treefamily.png.875a8d1966b447981a1170b72347a64d.png

(like the tree "family" here) makes it seem more natural, and standing next to a HUGE tree that dwarfs your character makes you feel more like you're in an uncaring wilderness.

As for more colours, well, the game CAN be pretty colourful on its own, in the right season/under the right lighting...(just be in fall, around birch trees, and not insane) but a kind of desaturated palette has always been an integral part of the DS world's look.  (and now I'm picturing the pine tree in my yard that throws pinecones everywhere CONSTANTLY, suddenly putting out pretty pastel ones for Easter.  : P  I would wonder if nature was trolling me...)

Anyway, um, my votes:  Ambiance, new biomes/more stuff added to the barer ones we have now, loreish stuff maybe from time to time, and maybe some pure Person Vs. Nature survival aspects, although those would of course also be configurable.  By that I mean, rather than like, ordinary mob attacks getting worse or bosses coming to you instead of being optional, more like...stuff to do with seasons and nature, weather.  I dunno exactly what.  But like the kind of stuff you might find in a Jack London story, where just Nature itself is taking out the main character.

https://americanenglish.state.gov/files/ae/resource_files/to-build-a-fire.pdf

Like that, for example.  I kinda get a Don't Starve-ian winter feel off of that story.  (Bear in mind, since this was an American writer, the temperatures written here are in Fahrenheit.  Although -40 is the same in both.  :)

Or that game "Near Death", where you're wandering around an abandoned facility in the Antarctic night (which lasts MONTHS) .There's no stupid zombies.  No monsters.  No enemies of any kind except _the cold itself_. (And fall damage from the occasional collapsing bridge.)

Or, that survival book we read in class where the kid got stuck out in the desert.  I forget the name of that one, but it involved stuff like stretching a piece of cloth over a hole to collect morning dew for drinking water.  (There's a similar device included in the "Thirst" mod, which is _another_ survival feature some people might want and others might want to get the heck away from.)  I guess that would also be kinda like "Holes".

THAT'S what I mean by "true PVE" challenges.  That kind of stuff.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The game isn't exactly a realistic survival simulator. Sacrifices to realism are made everywhere to make the game more interesting. I'm just saying that from a pure gameplay perspective, caves are pointless due to all the worthwhile content being put into a specific area. I simply want to have more of a reason to explore and live in the caves.

there is a lot of muddy biome and just a few squares of ruins with loot, i know you can reset it but doesnt take so much time to explore all

16 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Explain how only a few months back was discovered a new thing in a small indie game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And then we have the barrier skip from The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Sure, those are very small niche games that people has to resort in putting money on the table to whoever is breaking the game down.

Now, how do the tier list on some competitive games that haven't received any update for 20+ years still have their tier lists changed every so often, maybe the players learning new thing they can do with certain characters with enough proficiency?

And I'm not talking about DST, the OP of this conversation asked what other games have things that aren't discovered in a month or so. We have plenty of games that did that independent of the user base, if the internet was already popular or if we had access to emulators and we may find some more for years to come with games being released nowadays, like people already do in forums on games released a few years ago, i.e. Z: BoTW.

Yes, a lot of the same series, but that's because it is what I follow more closely. SSBM has gotten some discoveries over the years, StarCraft, Mario games, Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear, Sonic (specially 06), some obscure games no one heard until it was heard indie games like Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Dwarf Fortress, Stardew Valley and the good old GOTY niche Barbie truck.

Oh, wait. I just reread the quote and it was said in what game all the new discoveries doesn't happen in a week. Oh, I'm pretty sure there are a lot more games now.

13 minutes ago, Sweaper said:

Explain how only a few months back was discovered a new thing in a small indie game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. And then we have the barrier skip from The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. Sure, those are very small niche games that people has to resort in putting money on the table to whoever is breaking the game down.

Now, how do the tier list on some competitive games that haven't received any update for 20+ years still have their tier lists changed every so often, maybe the players learning new thing they can do with certain characters with enough proficiency?

And I'm not talking about DST, the OP of this conversation asked what other games have things that aren't discovered in a month or so. We have plenty of games that did that independent of the user base, if the internet was already popular or if we had access to emulators and we may find some more for years to come with games being released nowadays, like people already do in forums on games released a few years ago, i.e. Z: BoTW.

Yes, a lot of the same series, but that's because it is what I follow more closely. SSBM has gotten some discoveries over the years, StarCraft, Mario games, Dark Souls, Fire Emblem, Metal Gear, Sonic (specially 06), some obscure games no one heard until it was heard indie games like Rusty's Real Deal Baseball, Dwarf Fortress, Stardew Valley and the good old GOTY niche Barbie truck.

Oh, wait. I just reread the quote and it was said in what game all the new discoveries doesn't happen in a week. Oh, I'm pretty sure there are a lot more games now.

I don't have to explain every punctual example you point out in your post, more so as I believe you misunderstood me. I'm not saying what OP did, aka "OP of this conversation asked what other games have things that aren't discovered in a month or so". I just gave you a broader explanation why that might be the case, namely nowadays secrets, Easter Eggs, cryptic strats/exploits and such being easier to discover (more people being tech and programming savvy) and be shared (internet). Ofc there are exceptions because various reasons (and, again, I've pointed to some of those reasons). Then I focused my posts on DST because... we are on a DST forum discussing DST. As it seems you want to complain in the end about "why KLei didn't made DST more ...cryptic and with lot more stuff to be discovered even after long time" or "KLei should change from time to time general meta and character tier lists". And in fact, as I've underlined, even in present "hidden DST things" do transpire to forumites. Plus, with current character re-works, it seems DST "meta/tiers" are somewhat changing, not by a huge margin or over night but still - take my case: before Wendy re-work I seldom played her; now she became a second main for me. I call that change and I'm sure am not the only one in this situation - for better or worse (as some people complained about Woodie post-final rework and that they dropped him as a main because "Captain Canada" apparent game-play easiness or perceived lack of "real cons").

One more time: DST isn't a console-exclusive game (it started on PC), isn't a competitive game so as "official meta/tiers" to really matter, even more - is a Sandbox thus you take upon yourself what goals and roads you take beyond mere Survival; is in fact an Indie game, not even close to the active player-base numbers of CS:GO, StarCraft, WoW, Mario franchise etc, and is still in active development, getting additional DLC, updates, mini-events a.s.o as we proverbially speak.

What you can ultimately take from my posts: situation is more nuanced and complex than a simple "what other games have things that aren't discovered in a month or so". If anything, my conclusion boils down to "it depends".

6 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

As it seems you want to complain in the end about "why KLei didn't made DST more ...cryptic and with lot more stuff to be discovered even after long time" or "KLei should change from time to time general meta and character tier lists".

I never said this, all I said was to build on to the user who asked what other games didn't get everything discovered in a week or so. You might be confusing me with someone else, I haven't given any opinion on what Klei should do or change.

Archived