Glass Canon Wes

Glass Canon Wes  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wes be given the lower health - higher damage mechanic?

• Yes, it fits Wes
    • No, it doesn't fit Wes
    • Idk, Klei will decide what is best.

As far as I've seen, a lot of people were upset with the Abigail doing more damage when Wendy is low mechanic. The main complaint was that it made her a interesting character and kinda changed the way you play, but in the end the mechanic didn't really fit Wendy's play style. 

I think the mechanic would be really cool to add, but maybe on another character?

Wes was meant to be a challenge character, he purposely has no pros and lots of cons. This is fine, many don't starve veterans are looking for a challenge, but as he stands his cons aren't interesting enough to play him. He's just a hungrier, weaker Wilson that can blow balloons. How could Klei give Wes an interesting mechanic that makes him worth to play, while still keeping him the difficult challenge character he is?

Giving him the low health higher damage mechanic. Playing at 20 hp constantly to do damage is a very difficult task. Even with a football helmets, many mobs and bosses could one shot you. But the mechanic itself is very interesting and always keeps you on your toes. This is obviously terrible for a "beginner" character like Wendy, but would work perfectly on a character like Wes.

The only problem I see with this is why. Why does Wes do more damage the lower he is? With Wendy it made sense because Abigail was getting angrier the closer Wendy was to dying, to protect her. Maybe you guys can come up with something? 

Another question I have to ask: do you guys think that Wes's 0.75x damage multiplier should be removed with the addition of this? How high do you think his damage multiplier would be at 1hp?

This mechanic being added to Wes isn't my idea. I've seen a lot of posts with people saying they think it would better on him than Wendy, and I totally agree with them.

I was talking about that with my gf. I think it would be cool if instead of Wes himself getting the damage buff when he is low health, it would be people around him that get a small damage buff (10% to a max of 20% idk). Like if the survivor around him wanted to protect him at all cost. It would more then compensate the damage that he isnt doing when playing with other players and when playing solo, Wes player would not be affected by it.

maybe if kleis keeps his max heal but giving him a 0'50 damage instead of 0'75 but he can reach a maximum of x2

but i would prefer keep wes like he is but including fun things to his balloomancy, he is a mime he should be fun not a berserker, and add this perk to a totally new character 

I made a suggestion as to who this Mechanic best fits on. If Klei chooses to go with that it’ll end up being someone who is deserving of it.

(My Suggestion Wasn’t Wes..) 

But as for someone OTHER then Wes and the Mystery one I’ve already Suggested- It’s a Mechanic far more fitting of Wigfrid..

She takes her Method Acting too seriously... so the closer she gets to dying, the harder she will fight to avoid joining her fallen comrades in Valhalla.

IF Klei chooses the one I suggested though (I hope they will because PC already has a Mod for playing as them..) Then it will be a feature added to a New character who isn’t officially playable in the game yet. (Who again.. totally isn’t Wes. <3)

I like the idea of him being more useful the closer he is to death, just not combat related, I don't wanna see 1 HP frail arm french lad suddenly two shot deerclops with a ham bat when we've already got Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and the likes. Just my take on the matter.

If we do get a glass cannon mechanic, I'd expect it to be given to Maxwell, the character with the lowest HP in the game. Having low health means you can die quicker, sure, but you can also heal quicker. (You take less time and resources to fully heal)

2 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if klei rework wigfrid could fit more with her this perk

maximum = 1 hp, also wolfgang has a boost of hp (opposite of being low hp to get ~x2 damage) and speed

Still way too similar of a mechanic though 

Wes should not do more damage IT MAKES NO SENSE. i say this as someone WHO ALMOST ONLY PLAYS WES!! This would ruin the character. Wes isn't a viable character. I pick Wes because he is a bad character and I like that. Don't take this away from me.

57 minutes ago, Blunderbuss said:

Wes should not do more damage IT MAKES NO SENSE. i say this as someone WHO ALMOST ONLY PLAYS WES!! This would ruin the character. Wes isn't a viable character. I pick Wes because he is a bad character and I like that. Don't take this away from me.

Does Wes ALWAYS have to be totally awful though?

I mean what if there were options you can set in your own options menu like with turning on or off Wigfrids Umlauts.. Something like setting your Maximum HP total as ANY Character, not just Wes to 45%, something that would be Personal preference and would apply anytime you enter any server- THAT is the main reason I want to see Wes changed..

Just for a second imagine game option toggles that let you scale your maximum health, your maximum sanity, the Damage you deal, How fast your Hunger Drains, How Fast your Sanity Drains.. your crafting speed etc.. Player specific abilities On or Off such as No Souls for Wortox, No Abigail for Wendy.. etc and all the settings you choose in your own personal options menu can be applied across ALL Servers and isn’t just bound by character choice.

If you want the game to be Hardcore drop max health to 45% (so you can still have 5 health left after spending 40% to craft Telltale heart.) If you want the game to be more forgiving increase total health to Max allowed.

Im surprised that there aren’t mods for this very thing for PC.... but a feature like that would only ever exist on Consoles if Klei made it official.

But most importantly of ALL If every other character in the entire game is getting their own unique crafting recipes why exactly shouldn’t Wes?

And since this post is already pretty long.. and will no doubt get a million confused dislike faces I want to complain about the people who complain about characters getting their own unique Crafting Tabs.

You bought a game that Says it’s an Open World Survival Craft game right there in its Description and you complain when all the characters start getting their own unique crafting tabs? Seriously.....? Lol alrighty then. :( 

Bottom Line: Klei Already said they plan to Refresh the games characters to be more unique and interesting and valuable, they also said they expect those Refreshes will be Game Changing in many ways.

Glass Canon Wendy was indeed “Game Changing”... but in the end, it’s a feature that could be saved for someone else.

938A6842-3F97-4DF8-A1AA-381F93464F5A.jpeg

I don't think it fits Wes.  I would rather Wes was re-worked to be a better challenge character, less punishing to other players while being more punishing to Wes, without allowing Wes to ever steal the show with his powers.

In single player it makes sense to require more food and deal less damage - but in DST that doesn't really work well because everyone is filling fridges working together so Wes is just kinda a leech, so there is definitely justification for a complete re-work, ditching both of these penalties.

His description in DS is Can't talk, Has trouble staying alive, and Practices Balloonomancy.  While Maxwell isn't the man in power at this time, I think its worth noting that Maxwell's quote for Wes was "He displeased me."  I think from this we could change Wes from simply being "bad" to being "the tormented."

I know some people like the idea of Wes drawing agro, but I think that is too useful for him.  In my head I play around with this idea:

Wes has special shadow creatures spawn around him.  They attack only him and ignore everything else.  Only he can see them.  Normal weapons cannot harm them, and normal armor will not protect from their attacks.  To combat them Wes must craft a balloon sword and hat.  The balloon sword is the only weapon which can deal damage to these creatures, and the balloon hat is the only thing which can protect against them.  However if you attack anything else with a balloon sword, or are attacked by anything else while wearing a balloon hat, the balloon will pop dealing 5 damage aoe and stunning Wes for 1/2 second.

The triggers to spawn these monsters are:  Talking, taking damage, dealing damage, having low sanity, having high sanity, crafting, eating, and being around Maxwell.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Does Wes ALWAYS have to be totally awful though?

the rest of the post is an off topic rant and or making assumptions about my opinions

the reason you get so many confused reactions is because, not only do people disagree with them, but the stuff you say is actually confusing. 

ARGUING THAT THE GAME COULD HAVE A THEORETICAL CONFIG FOR EVERYTHING YOU ARGUE ABOUT DOES NOT MAKE ANYONE ELSES IDEA BAD OR MAKE YOURS GOOD

NEITHER DOES LAMPSHADING CONFUSED REACTIONS 

Oof the ones that want and try to reason a good mechanic for Wes... Hell no please God no. He is the cactus that kills you or the uncooked monster meat you shove into your mouth by accident; he is the shenanigan character (**not that he is detrimental for the team). I'd like him to have a bunch of semi-useless perks, that would be awesome. But but, with all these useless perks, it is important that other players do not hate him. So these perks could be useful for the others but not him. For example, he could have a nice sanity effect when you are around him. Idk maybe Wes starts to do mimes and blow some balloons so the other players get sanity boost. There could be some gameplay around that. If you ask me he could be even weaker! (or not idk) But All in all, Klei should make him so others want to keep le Wes alive. 

And If you playin alone?.. Well that's on you, that's the challenge you're maybe looking for.

I get confused reactions... because people do not fully understand the purpose of the idea I’m purposing.

the TL:DR I WANT To be able to play this game with my Very Casual friend who is still learning the game, Still trying to learn that Abigail and Bernie are NOT Enemies and you Don’t have to Attack Them because they are chasing behind other players. Or Still trying to learn that you DO NOT Need to burn an Entire forest down (and possibly your base along with it..) to stay warm when they start getting cold. Were talking people who starve to death with A ton of Birchnuts in their Inventory when I examine their Dead Skeletons BECAUSE they do not know you can Cook them and make them eatable.

I want to be able to play this game with someone who plays the game with THAT level of skill and Yet still feel Challenged myself.. Without the game being Too Hardcore for them to play With ME, Or Myself being completely bored out of my mind at how easy everything in their server is for Me. 

The Game is called Don’t Starve Together... allowing people of Various different skill levels to play TOGETHER without tying that down to a single specific Character choice is What this Idea would do..

My friend who has enough trouble staying Alive as is can have 200 Health Points, and I can set my Total Health to 45 Health points.

I get Confused Reacts- Because People Automatically Assume I want Wes to be made Easier to play- and That’s simply Incorrect, His Character Description reads that he Has trouble Staying Alive.. And he should still do exactly just that.. Maybe even worse by having Every single Hound in an Entire Hound Wave chase only him or something.. I want Wes to become Less BORING and to actually stand out and be Unique with Unique skills that can actually Help his Team..

Maybe crafting a Red Balloon Angers a horde of Beefalo and makes them charge him like angry Bulls.

Idk.. But I am 100% sure Klei will come up with something.. really really good for him, I have been extremely pleased with all other Reworks so far, & I really don’t think they’ll simply exempt Wes from the Rework list just because “Challenge Character”

Many of you have been “Spoiled” by how long you’ve played this game and how much knowledge you know about it that you simply have forgotten what it’s like to panic in the middle of the night not knowing how to get rid of the low sanity creatures stalking you, and in the midst of your panic, you totally just forgot to gather Materials to create a torch with.

And if Klei is wanting to do those really big things like Cross-Platform play between PC & Consoles.... Then NOW more then EVER is when we need the ability to custom tailor how easy or how hard our game experience will be for us.

Imagine for example being able to turn Poisonous Bleed out effect bites on for the Spider Warriors.. something that only happens to YOU and no one else who does not have that feature toggled on.

I just gave a short Example of how Hardcore content can co-exist right beside new player Content.. and the both of us still feel challenged, Without me having to pick to play as Wes.

(If this Still gets 100 confused reactions.. I give up, cause you guys aren’t ever going to understand the importance of it.. -sigh-)

On 3/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, ScottHansen said:

It's been suggested a lot that we give it to Wes, which might work, but we will probably end up saving it for a new character.

I don't think they will give this to Wes

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Many of you have been “Spoiled” by how long you’ve played this game and how much knowledge you know about it that you simply have forgotten what it’s like to panic in the middle of the night not knowing how to get rid of the low sanity creatures stalking you, and in the midst of your panic, you totally just forgot to gather Materials to create a torch with.

Not really,even if the person puts hours into the game or how experience they are,they still panic in situations that they are in and probably forget what they need or missing in there base.For example going into winter and deerclops is ready to spawn most people would not even have a tentacle spike,dark sword,hambat with them since deerclops spawns around day 30 they have time to explore and do whatever they want until he comes but even with the warning they are not prepared enough to take him on

2 minutes ago, ToXic Cur3 said:

Not really,even if the person puts hours into the game or how experience they are,they still panic in situations that they are in and probably forget what they need or missing in there base.For example going into winter and deerclops is ready to spawn most people would not even have a tentacle spike,dark sword,hambat with them since deerclops spawns around day 30 they have time to explore and do whatever they want until he comes but even with the warning they are not prepared enough to take him on

exactly, its one of the things i love of this game. 1 mistake and you are scrub, no matter how many hours you played, there is a lot of things to take in mind so its easy to forget the most important

one day i will remember to gather sanity food for fighting deerclops... one day xd

4 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

exactly, its one of the things i love of this game. 1 mistake and you are scrub, no matter how many hours you played, there is a lot of things to take in mind so its easy to forget the most important

one day i will remember to gather sanity food for fighting deerclops... one day xd

I Agree with you games that ignores the experience of a player is more harder and complicated that it makes you want to play it more and more to learn it so I enjoy it a lot and your not alone in bringing sanity items for clops all I have is healing items,armor,and a weapon to take him on

5 minutes ago, ToXic Cur3 said:

I Agree with you games that ignores the experience of a player is more harder and complicated that it makes you want to play it more and more to learn it so I enjoy it a lot and your not alone in bringing sanity items for clops all I have is healing items,armor,and a weapon to take him on

in other games you kill the last boss and you get bored because you have seen everything. In dst even killing FW only gives me more motivation to kill all of them with less preparation. Or how changes every run depending of how many people (i play most of the time alone so when i play with friends the game changes a lot), the world generator or where you build the base and priorice farms (sometimes i do pig village, other i place a base near a prebuild one, other i ignore pigs and focus on bunnymens, etc). Or for boss fights like bee queen, i have killed her in like "5 differents ways"

Archived