[Poll] on the early game slog, opinions on variety.

[POLL] Early game can feel like a slog, wanted to get some opinions on spicing it up.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What would you say is the biggest issue for you when starting a new world/playthrough?

• The repetitive nature of collecting basic resources.
    • The lack of early game danger.
    • The lack of options (items, farming, food, craftables) for preparation.
    • The lack of interesting landmarks or world generation.
  2. 2. For "repetitive resources", which of these sounds the most fun to you? (Feel free to answer these next questions even if you didnt enter them in question 1)

• More options for collecting the same resources (Think of things like Twiggy Trees, Juicy Berries, Geckos).
    • More limited resources overall, with larger quantities guarded by monsters.
  3. 3. For "early game danger", which sound the most fun to you?

• Basic mobs becoming more powerful, like spider dens spawning a warrior intead of 3 spiders.
    • More variety to hound waves, perhaps different mobs like vampire bats.
    • Randomized encounters when collecting resources (Like Gobblers, Treeguards)
  4. 4. For "lack of options" which sounds the most interesting for shaking up your decision making?

• Adding more randomized loot to hunts, rather than the typical Koalefant trunks. (Maybe unique monsters for spring and summer gear)
    • More generalized balance towards the already existing food farming sources, making it harder to rely on one or two easy methods.
    • Increase the amount (or balance) of items that server a redundant purpose, like more winter gear that could require farming hound teeth, catcoon tails, or other uncommon resources.
  5. 5. "Lack of landmarks or resources", which blah blah blah

• Returning mechanic of "things", 4 set pieces that spawn in the world that provide a unique collectible.
    • Higher chance for set pieces like the beefalo pen fire trap, perhaps some pig guard or merm guard outposts.
    • More randomized land generation, providing more unique land masses, rather than the usual main body of grassland that branches off on all sides into the usual biomes.

I think you set up the poll incorrectly, the four semi polls should have been optional. As of now, all the polls are required for answering.

Anyways, I do think different resources are needed, but they need to not be as annoying as twiggy trees. I swear they are the worst thing in the game, they provide too little twigs early and then provide too much later.

I voted on this- but I take not just my own perspective of wanting the game to be more uncompromising and cruel.. but I also see things from my FRIENDS perspectives who aren’t super hardcore survivalists and just want some casual gameplay in an easy setting. 

(There’s a reason Klei designed something called the No Sweat Mode after all..)

So for you guys to say hey let’s make the game even more uncompromising from the very start!! is a VERY Biased and one sided way of looking at things.

I made a suggestion a while back ago that didn’t quite take off like I had hoped it would but the TL:DR- I broke the game world up into their own ISLANDS which would require you to build a boat and sail to those areas.

The Islands Do soooo so much more then JUST give us more reason to build a boat and go sailing (again that’s yet another biased self centered opinion) What These Islands Main purpose to do was to allow Casual and Hardcore game content to Co-Exist within the same game world without the server being Too Hard for my Casual friends, or Too Easy for me being the Hardcore player who likes to be punished.

The Islands would serve as Stripping Wes Of being the “Challenge” Character.. because Each Island would have had its own weather seasons, climate, temperature, unique and increasingly harder enemy mobs, and new Gameplay Mechanics.

For Example- A Biome that is summer 24/7 and the ground gets so hot that any dropped items are subject to quickly catching on fire.

or a Beach Biome where the water will raise and lower, flooding out the shoreline and killing any campfires places too closely to the water.

It allows for example: my friend to peacefully enjoy racing Carrats around casually back on the mainland but MEANWHILE in that same server I am on a much more difficult Island it’s Summer 24/7 & it’s so hot here that the Rivers have turned to hot lava streams, every enemy mob here is completely immune to fire damage and likes heat, and Firefly is no longer a completely optional boss if your on this land because she has been known to be highly over-protective of her nice new warm home.

Fight or Flight.. good luck.

The TL:DR- there are WAYS to allow casual gamers to play in the same world with hardcore gamers without sacrificing ones playstyle choices over the other, and without making that content based on a Difficulty Toggle in the main menu or by the character you choose to play as.

in a game called Don’t Starve TOGETHER, the single most important feature the game can possibly have is to actually be able to PLAY and enjoy the game Together without sacrificing Casual or Hardcore Content. some people have a hard enough time staying alive as is.. so forcing difficulty onto them before they are ready for it probably ain’t the best way to draw new players into the game, and at the same exact time- keeping everything casual won’t keep Experienced gamers coming back for more.

————————————

i would like more variety of fauna and flora even if these are reskins of other mobs and the loot similar to others. In a similar way hamlet and sw does this adding a feeling of world with life. Some places in the constance are almos empty like some woods or mosaic biome, why no add to these some animal? anyways there is a lot of food and we can put resources on less if we dont want to have to many food and wild also give more ways to get food. I can say the same for regular resources like twigs and grass, changes a little the gameplay when you get a world with twigs trees or geeckos, and we actually have a little of variety with the twigs from lunar island and the dessets with his own characteristics, in a future could be interesting to add more of these This could be apply to the ocean aswell

In addition, set pieces should be more common, they are not game breaker but adds a lot of changes to the gameplay (unique base with pig guards torch, wars with those pigs to steal their resources, the reed trap, the spider trap its hilarious when you start to play, etc) also adding more to dont be repetitive (we have the same since ds vanilla and less because the thermometre traps were removed)

The map generation should be more random, its to easy to find key places because always are the same, only changes their shape

Early game danger shounds so good but as a world eddit featured like the light outs and  dont stave plus should be another option to add a treat for veterans like more intelligent mobs, increase damage to some bosses (since you will kite them it will still being dangeous because 1 hit will hurt even with amor), more shadow creatures spawn (i killed toadstool with low sanity and only 2 shadows came in a 20 min fight, even with shadow amulet takes a lot of time to spawn shadows sometimes)

Weapons must be another topic to discuss, we have not so much magic for battle and its a little weak, enemies on fire shouldnt burn stuff so easy (they should keep doing it ofc) unless its summer (its like every structure its made of paper and every plant its dry as hell) so we could use for fun fire staff, fire darts, torch, etc without that fear. You can get ruins gems in surface in opposite of DS vanilla so why no use these gems in new armors and weapons or more loot like in hamlet to craft weapons and armors. Cookie cutter was a good addition, the cap has 500hp so its usefull but the drop to craft this its only 25% 

I would personally love some new unique set pieces/new mobs that can replace hounds/and new world gen possibilities. Whenever I join an early server it feels like you already know the map, just not where everything is. Everything is basically the same, just arranged differently, like how there will always be that one savannah patch surrounded by forest, or how there will always be two deciduous biomes, etc.

I'd like new biomes/world gens/set pieces in general. :wilson_love:

1 hour ago, Axelocke said:

I would personally love some new unique set pieces/new mobs that can replace hounds/and new world gen possibilities. Whenever I join an early server it feels like you already know the map, just not where everything is. Everything is basically the same, just arranged differently, like how there will always be that one savannah patch surrounded by forest, or how there will always be two deciduous biomes, etc.

I'd like new biomes/world gens/set pieces in general. :wilson_love:

You ever played a game called Spelunky? I have played millions of games acrossed all types of gaming Genres and I am not ashamed at all to declare Spelunky as one of, If not THE hardest game I have ever played.. 

Why? because remember the old Mario or Sonic games where repeated failure lead to you learning the level lay out and eventually mastering it? Okay Well Spelunky is Mario or Sonic but kicked up to 11... 

Every single level from the beginning of the game to the end of the game is randomly generated. You will never play the same game twice.

And IF you somehow make it to the final stage even if you have 20 extra lives the final boss can kill you in 1 hit ending the game forcing you to start from scratch.

This is what I THOUGHT DS was going to be when I bought it due to its description reading “Explore randomly generated worlds where everything hates you and wants you to die.”

As we all know by now DS is only randomly generated to a extremely limited Degree... as it’s broken up into familiar Biomes and set pieces and is less chaotic then what I dare say could possibly be the hardest game ever created Spelunky. 

I would absolutely love for Klei Devs to spend maybe about two-three months dedicated entirely to playing Spelunky & then return to DS and add a new world gen option entitled CHAOS, Where everything TRULY is Randomly generated each game.

Why is a Meteor Shower falling on my head in a swamp? Why is this Graveyard Biome covered in fog as big as a Beefalo savanah and has Swamp Tentacle Traps coming up out the ground that I can not see when there’s not a single sign of a swamp anywhere in sight?! I can’t find a single gold rock to mine in the known rock Biome WTF, Help Where is the Pig King?!?! OMG I’m so Lost guys quick WHERE IS BASE?!

-Everyones Response: Hah Yeah.. Goodluck finding it. 

(I am not ashamed to admit that out of all the times I have tried.. I still have yet to beat Spelunky, and this comes from the mouth of a Veteran at platforming games like Mario & Sonic)

Personally, I think it's the endgame that needs more work. When starting a new world there's almost always something you could be doing. After a year is when I start getting bored and think "What do I do now?". I find the journey more exciting then the destination. 

I'm not sure what #5 means, but I answered anyways. Truth be told, in order to put input in this poll I had to choose options I don't necessarily agree with, so I would recommend options like "I am content with-*Subject*". 

I like the early game better than the late game, myself. I don't want to change it. I enjoy the thrill of starting with nothing and gradually building things up, gathering and crafting things to gather more things and craft more things. By the time I have everything set up, it feels less like I'm surviving and more like I'm just hanging out with not much to do.

13 hours ago, Well-met said:

my only problem with early game is that snow covers the floor and I'm forced to wait a while before fleshing out my base design :p

There is a mod that disables the snow on the ground. It's a client mod too, so you can use it on any server. I have been using on my world and it makes life so much easier

Archived