Do you like seasonal events? (Winter's Feast Eve, YotC, Hallowed Nights)  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like seasonal events? (Winter's Feast Eve, YotC, Hallowed Nights)

2. 2. Do you think they're a waste of Klei's effort?

• Yes, they put a lot of work for something that lasts a month
    • No, even if they're limited, I think the effort is worth it
  3. 3. Would you like Klei to stop updating these events?

• Yes, focus on the main content instead
    • Yes, I'll miss holiday updates but I undeerstand it's for the better
    • No
    • Indifferent

3 minutes ago, Poebus said:

its just like forge and gorge, stays for awhile later almost gone forever. nothing so different except scale of content

I feel like that's not a fair comparison. The Forge and Gorge were hosted on Klei's servers and most of their code was server-side, so there's no way to play them anymore without slightly-inaccurate mods. Events like Winter's Feast, Hallowed Nights, etc on the other hand, those are permanently in the game and can still be activated either on worldgen or via console commands. Having to use the console isn't ideal, but there's still options to officially play this content.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Take WintersFeast 2019 as the perfect example- Xbox One had a horrible bug throughout most of that entire month where if you used the Tragic Torch Skin your Xbox Console itself would freeze up and power itself completely Off.

An extreme glitch that could probably cause harm to your console, Sure they could’ve maybe threw in a Hotfix and pulled the Torch skin out of the game until the issue was fixed, but by that point the Dev Team was already enjoying the holidays with their family.

Year of the Carrat on Xbox One has a less extreme glitch where your character continues to repeatedly talk and never shut up while racing your Carrat, something that I saw patch notes for on PC as being fixed but on Xbox I can say that it’s still not fixed.

I think every console player can hate me now but ... Klei could make fix and push it, but Xbox team just fked. On PC Klei has bit bigger space for maneuver, when on consoles they need to wait for console devs and their verifications. What's it mean? Holidays are hard topic because everyone want to spent time with family so game devs making updates and fixes longer than normal. And then they must send updates to servers and console devs must check everything and give permissions for it. So time is longer twice or four times. So sad truth.

4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Also: Don’t give me weird looks when I say I like crushing Gingerpigs and eating their Holiday spirit.. the game is rated 13+ and I love its more mature, darker, creepy vibe compared to your Rated E for Everyone children games.

Because I’ve said it before & I’ll say it again- Me Likey Da Spooky. 

Hey I heard same words in horror movies! And later was massacre with a lot of dead bodies. But it's normal or maybe isn't?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Klei actually not add anything special for the last year's Winter's Feast? Only new magnificent adoraments. Cuz that was exactly the type of seasonal event update that I'm proposing in the OP 

5 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Klei actually not add anything special for the last year's Winter's Feast? Only new magnificent adoraments. Cuz that was exactly the type of seasonal event update that I'm proposing in the OP 

Oven, table, food, gingerbread hunting, gingerbread varg, gingerbread village

2 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Oven, table, food, gingerbread hunting, gingerbread varg, gingerbread village

12 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Time goes so fast that he forgot that update was last decade

Might be because of poor wording, but I think by "last year" Szczuku was implying the 2018-2019 Winter's Feast and not the 2019-2020 one. If that's the case, then I don't remember if they added anything. The only thing I remember is just the lantern loyal skin.

15 hours ago, Thalkas said:

I think every console player can hate me now but ... Klei could make fix and push it, but Xbox team just fked. On PC Klei has bit bigger space for maneuver, when on consoles they need to wait for console devs and their verifications. What's it mean? Holidays are hard topic because everyone want to spent time with family so game devs making updates and fixes longer than normal. And then they must send updates to servers and console devs must check everything and give permissions for it. So time is longer twice or four times. So sad truth.

Hey I heard same words in horror movies! And later was massacre with a lot of dead bodies. But it's normal or maybe isn't?

Hilariously, my dad writes horror.. those are our favorite types of movies to watch together. We grew up decorating our yard up with a large Spooktacular display every Halloween. Trust me.. We used to go out in the yard gathering large sticks then we would carve them down to look like bones and paint them.. it’s totally normal. We also decorated big on Christmas every year too just encase your wondering. 

Some people aren’t into horror, and I get that.. I guess? While I can watch a Marathon of Jason Vorhees in Friday the 13 films with no problem whatsoever...  The sight of REAL Blood makes me feel sick and I pass out. I hate shots and going to doctors. x.X

Having said that- DST also has its fair share of Spooky vibe to it, Wendy Quotes on Rope- “That would be the easy way out of this place”, or Firefly lava pit- “I could jump in and be done..” the Rusted Scythe Grim Reaper Inspired Pickaxe Skin.. and the new Lunar Penguins and Horror Hounds with their guts and bones sticking out.. I find all that to be so cool personally. But I also realize that I’m probably in a small minority of players who enjoy creepy spooky content- My Lifeline Skin in Apex is a Zombie, My Wickerbottom Skin in DST is the Bewitching Witch outfit.

What can I say? Me Likey Da Spooky.

And I enjoy both Hallowed Nights AND WintersFeast, the events were really fun and this year in Particular- When for the first time ever we couldn’t even afford to decorate.. I was able to still gather a few friends together in DST and chase down Gingerpigs Chowing down their Villages, or Decorate our base with Totally Normal Trees covered in ghost and crow decorations.. I was able to celebrate the Holidays in the game when I couldn’t afford to do so in Real Life.. So Thanks for that Klei Entertainment.

While the largest amount of people commenting here in this topic are saying that this content takes away from development time of adding more permanent core game content.. I see things from a different perspective- The Perspective Of kids with divorced or separated parents, or Families who are away from home for business, Work or Army.. 

When these people could not spend Real-World time with their loved ones in person, they were able to use your limited time events to enjoy the Holidays Together still. <3

My main gripe with seasonal events is that they’re back-to-back with Halloween, Christmas, and Lunar New Year. It feels like the development for one part of the year is focused on these events while the other half is dedicated to new content.

Of course, I don’t know how the inner workings of klei work, so this is all just player assumption.

23 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

My main gripe with seasonal events is that they’re back-to-back with Halloween, Christmas, and Lunar New Year. It feels like the development for one part of the year is focused on these events while the other half is dedicated to new content.

Of course, I don’t know how the inner workings of klei work, so this is all just player assumption.

If that 3 month crunch really is problematic then they could do like professional singers do.

Just encase your confused.. They don’t actually make holiday albums ON Holidays.. they make them some time earlier in the year when it’s not as cold and they aren’t likely to be sick. They do this so the music continues to sound professional and their voices aren’t all scratchy and stuffed up.

TL:DR they could start working on the events now in March then simply push them live once the holiday’s here.

On 04/03/2020 at 3:03 PM, Mike23Ua said:

I disagree with this 150%, Smashing Gingerpig houses and having their leg less torsos crawl out clinging to their last bit of life has by far been the most entertaining thing I’ve seen happen in my entire time playing DST.

And I want them to provide the same kind of unique event this year with Hallowed Nights! 

Maybe have every night be a full moon, Ghosts and Werepigs should dominate an event based on Halloween.. a cool boss battle with a moving Totally Normal Tree Guardian, A totally normal tree Wormwood Skin. A Devils Pitchfork Skin. 

Ghosts could have their own Gingerpig inspired hunt, where you’ll see one, follow it.. it’ll float away and haunt into the ground, you’ll look around for the next ghost trail to follow.

TL:DR I don’t care that events are limited time because I can always set a server up to permanently being Hallowed Nights!

image.png.f63174460fa4dd4aa49da20ad6370140.png

i think its great to have seasonal events they keep us busy while klei work in more importants things like return of them making other characters and etc they also bring nice skins based on the event style

Archived