Offscreen Conveyor Heat Exchange POLL

Offscreen Conveyor Heat Exchange  

66 members have voted

1. 1. How much does Offscreen Conveyor Heat Exchange suck?

• It's fine, I'm a sadist, please chop off my limbs, just for the Lols.
    • Don't care.
    • A little
    • A medium amount.
    • This is moderately annoying.
    • This is quite annoying.
    • Really annoying, please fix ASAP.
    • Yesterday I smashed my monitor against the wall because of this.
    • I stopped playing ONI because this sucked too much.

I deeply despise this bug. There is a bit of a workaround, though. If you put a bridge outputting into a solid tile inside of your steam chamber (or wherever you are exchanging heat), it works offscreen.

But yes, please fix Klei!

1 hour ago, MauPow said:

I deeply despise this bug. There is a bit of a workaround, though. If you put a bridge outputting into a solid tile inside of your steam chamber (or wherever you are exchanging heat), it works offscreen.

But yes, please fix Klei!

I agree, it is extremely annoying. Luckily, with the introduction of the conveyor thermo sensor, we can somewhat work around it.

15 hours ago, bobucles said:

I don't see any legitimate reason why the internal game sim state is modified by the screen drawing process. Screen drawing should be strictly an output of the existing game state. Computers tend to be pretty good at object permanence and don't forget things once they're off screen.

There is a fog of war in ONI, and anything inside the fog of war is suspended. Maybe the glitch is related to that? Items on the conveyor may be obeying janky fog of war rules, where if they can't be seen they don't exist. Or something like that. Even so, changing the rules for what is and isn't visible is a pretty dangerous thing to do for a game that has such a high reliance on its sim physics. 

There's little point in speculating.

11 hours ago, Craigjw said:

It's called Occlusion culling...

I really don't think bringing up the term occlusion culling is relevant to this bug, or to Oxygen Not Included in any way.

21 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

...And someone is doomed with the task to wirte a new conveyor code.

You keep asserting that a re-write is coming as if it is common knowledge.

3 hours ago, SpreadsheetGamr said:

You keep asserting that a re-write is coming as if it is common knowledge.

They´ve already done it. They rolled it out, and then took it back, because it caused some major bugs. They told us already, they are working on it, but they dont know when its coming back. Its not a half an hour job to replace a fully grown feature.

14 hours ago, SpreadsheetGamr said:

I really don't think bringing up the term occlusion culling is relevant to this bug, or to Oxygen Not Included in any way.

We are going off-topic here.  I was trying to explain that the bug is real with a reason why it is real.

While I have experienced this bug, it really hasn't affected me all that much.  Generally what happens is one of the chunks of ice on a conveyor refuses to melt.  I can't recall if its the first or the last in the line, but even once all the rest are gone, it still doesn't melt.  Adding more ice onto the line didn't solve the problem either because now there would be two chunks that would refuse to melt.

My solution was to dump the chunks that refused to melt off a conveyor chute and re-load them.  This solved the problem, even if it was a bit inefficient.  The only other material I've had this problem with was plastic that refused to cool down and the same solution solved the problem.  I haven't worked with regolith or igneous, but copper, gold, and other conductive elements tend to do just fine whether I see them on the rail or not.

Anyway.  For me personally, the bug doesn't bother me that much.  It isn't game breaking, so I don't really care one way or the other.  I do admit that it exists.  *shrug*  Just my humble opinion.

3 hours ago, klei.ruby said:

Thank @fatheroctopus (and @jambell), this is fixed on preview branch.

I completely fail to understand what relevance this has to the topic in question?  There is Nothing in this release that pertains to the off-screen conveyor heat exchange bug.

Are Klei devs deliberately trying to derail the conversation? 

19 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I completely fail to understand what relevance this has to the topic in question?  There is Nothing in this release that pertains to the off-screen conveyor heat exchange bug.

Are Klei devs deliberately trying to derail the conversation? 

"Fix solid conduit contents not exchanging heat when the camera was in certain configurations" 

This is what we think is the fix to the conveyor issue. I haven't seen anyone test it yet though. 

I did some brief testing using my saves from the various bug reports. It does look like it's fixed.

Thanks to the devs who were involved in fixing it. And to the posters who squeaked enough to get it fixed.

Archived