the game needs some hostility

Hey Klei

The game is not hard enough. Please add some hostile creatures to non-default biomes. Maybe deploy them as a DLC with an option to turn off the hostility. Many old players would buy such a DLC. The game is so easy in its current state to say the least...

The DLC also may include occasional hostile events like "alien invasion". Aliens may be hard to defeat but in case of victory dupes get access to a trove of very valuable resources.

1 hour ago, 1chbindeinvater said:

Hey Klei

The game is not hard enough. Please add some hostile creatures to non-default biomes. Maybe deploy them as a DLC with an option to turn off the hostility. Many old players would buy such a DLC. The game is so easy in its current state to say the least...

The DLC also may include occasional hostile events like "alien invasion". Aliens may be hard to defeat but in case of victory dupes get access to a trove of very valuable resources.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/133-oxygen-not-included-suggestions-and-feedback/

On 2/23/2020 at 4:51 AM, KittenIsAGeek said:

Hatches used to be somewhat aggressive in the early days. If you dug them out of the ground, they'd bite your dupe's butt.  Fun times.

Now i realise I've been playing this game for a long time. I remember this but it somehow escape my mind with so many updates and changes between early dev and launch versions. 

aggressive mobs is the last thing the game needs. This idea broaght out sometimes and always there is a resounding negative reaction.

The feedback forum not being as active as the general disccussion forum is not a reason to publish it here. There is a place for it. Everyone posts their ideas there and no one is more special then the others.

1 hour ago, meepmoop said:

aggressive mobs is the last thing the game needs. This idea broaght out sometimes and always there is a resounding negative reaction.

I agree. We _could_ have a bit of hostility here instead, but I fear Klei's JoeW may curb that....

Pokeshells are pretty aggressive.  I once had my printer pod spawn one early game so I put it by my outhouses to clean up the pdirt

Unfortunately as soon as it laid an egg it attacked any dupes that needed to use the bathroom

Being attacked by angry crabs while trying to poop is my latest fear...

6 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I disagree. Agressive/destructive mobs and pests are an engineering challenge to overcome. You need to contain them so they don`t harm your colony, similar to how you need to contain rising temperature, nearby volcanoes, large water pockets above, high germ count areas etc.

You can either brute force your way through, risking dupes getting injured (maybe even poisoned) or take some time and flood the area, freeze it or wall them off. A critter that`s generally hostile but produces something useful if contained (think about bees) would be an interesting addition as long as it`s balanced properly and doesn`t appear in the starting biome.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

I disagree. Agressive/destructive mobs and pests are an engineering challenge to overcome. You need to contain them so they don`t harm your colony, similar to how you need to contain rising temperature, nearby volcanoes, large water pockets above, high germ count areas etc.

You can either brute force your way through, risking dupes getting injured (maybe even poisoned) or take some time and flood the area, freeze it or wall them off. A critter that`s generally hostile but produces something useful if contained (think about bees) would be an interesting addition as long as it`s balanced properly and doesn`t appear in the starting biome.

I dont know about that. Think how annoying it is to deal with pokeshells or to catch shovevoles and even drekos that move all around.

There is nothing creative dealing with those it is just nuisance.

The game has plenty of challenge on your first several runs to not need to defend your base against attacks.  You also have higher difficulties and new asteroid types which offer plenty of replayability for several more games again without hostile enemies.

That being said, I do think there's room in this game for specific asteroids or game modes with an actual hostile enemy.  One idea is to have a tower defense system of sorts to manage along side the rest of the game.  Build turrets, protector bot docks, and traps to hold off the waves of hostile creatures that stream in from various spawn points on the map and try to make their way over to the printer pod.  Dupes should be able to help fight these off, but should not be the main method to do so.  In fact, it should be ineffective and only done during early waves or as an act of desperation.

I think some creature hostility could be an interesting challenge if balanced carefully (this could also be made an optional setting during game creation). A better feature though would be to implement environmental hostility:

Toxic gases - polluted oxygen that causes illness and chlorine that causes burns.

Weather - space weather that occasionally changes the internal climate of the asteroid, including temperature, air pressure, and humidity.

Geological disasters - earthquakes and sink holes that cause various degrees of damage.

Random events - hidden pockets of pressurized gas that are discovered while digging, or surprise liquid flooding triggered by unseen weather changes.

These are just a few examples that came to mind at the moment. I think there’s a lot of opportunities to add hostility and surprise without resorting to typical fight-a-hostile-creature/enemy mechanics. Of course it would be ideal if any such features could be tweaked or completely disabled in order to appease different play styles and preferences.

P.S. A DLC that adds any of these features would be an absolute must-buy for me... *hint* *hint* to Klei ;)

2 minutes ago, Racso5 said:

Toxic gases - polluted oxygen that causes illness and chlorine that causes burns 

While we're on the subject of toxic gasses... You realize that we're encouraged to flood our bases with pure oxygen in order to keep the dupes alive... pure oxygen which is literally the Thing That Makes Stuff Burn (tm).  Then there's the whole 'metal rusts' situation.  Aluminum might be OK with this much oxygen, since it oxidizes extremely quickly and creates a layer of corundum that protects the rest of the metal from further corrosion.  Just don't turn it (or iron, or any of the other metals) into powder in this atmosphere, or... well, hatches won't be the only BBQ on the menu.

17 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I dont know about that. Think how annoying it is to deal with pokeshells or to catch shovevoles and even drekos that move all around.

There is nothing creative dealing with those it is just nuisance.

Shove voles are pretty annoyng to catch, that`s true. But the critters could have a more territorial behaviour so you won`t have to hunt them down but consider if opening a cave where they are in is a good idea. Pokeshells already kinda work like that but for me they usually bug out and not attack anything despite being agressive.

We could also have critters with a mating season like Beffalos from DS when they are agressive. If it always happened at the same time it would be more predictable and easier to manage than Pokeshells.

14 hours ago, Racso5 said:

I think some creature hostility could be an interesting challenge if balanced carefully (this could also be made an optional setting during game creation). A better feature though would be to implement environmental hostility:

Toxic gases - polluted oxygen that causes illness and chlorine that causes burns.

Weather - space weather that occasionally changes the internal climate of the asteroid, including temperature, air pressure, and humidity.

Geological disasters - earthquakes and sink holes that cause various degrees of damage.

Random events - hidden pockets of pressurized gas that are discovered while digging, or surprise liquid flooding triggered by unseen weather changes.

These are just a few examples that came to mind at the moment. I think there’s a lot of opportunities to add hostility and surprise without resorting to typical fight-a-hostile-creature/enemy mechanics. Of course it would be ideal if any such features could be tweaked or completely disabled in order to appease different play styles and preferences.

P.S. A DLC that adds any of these features would be an absolute must-buy for me... *hint* *hint* to Klei ;)

This is something that Rimworld does in addition to raids and other hostile monsters coming to attack your base.  The game's 'storytellers' will periodically throw both positive and negative events at you to resolve.  One of the most well known of these is the 'Zzztt!' event, which causes one of your electrical cables to explode with the full power of all the batteries connected to it, discharging them and starting variably sized fires.  As your power grids in that game usually revolve around lots of renewables and battery banks, that usually causes more problems than just putting a big fire out.

Some other examples of Rimworld's noncombat negative events (Keep in mind that weather and fires are regular concerns in that game):

• Thunderstorms and flashstorms
  • Tornadoes
  • Psychic probe (Temporary morale penalties)
  • Disease outbreaks
  • Crop blights
  • Heat waves, cold snaps
  • Eclipses (disables solar panels and plant growth)
  • Solar flares (disables all electronics for a few hours)
  • Toxic fallout (Almost everything outside dies and cannot be safely eaten)
  • Volcanic winter (reduces output of solar panels and slows plant growth)

Positive events are usually traders, new colonists, and resource pods.  Basically what that the printing pod gives you in ONI.

I don't like the idea of hostile critters past what we have with Pokeshells. 

But Rimworld style random environmental events could be fun in limited doses. 

The problem would be balancing. Having them actually be meaningful, but not destroying people's carefully calculated machines every single event. 

Asteroid suddenly move closer to its sun? Cool idea but do we really want to have the potential to break every single non-gold pump in a base when 60 water jumps to 80?

Aliens towed the asteroid to deep space? Crap. My 100ton  per tile compressed water storage just completely froze. 

3 hours ago, DarkMaster13 said:

and starting variably sized fires.

Fires would be very interesting to have in ONI though they would be difficult to balance and manage, considering how important gas management is. We wouldn’t want to see a fire event that burns up the entire oxygen supply in a matter of minutes.

1 hour ago, beowulf2010 said:

But Rimworld style random environmental events could be fun in limited doses. 

The problem would be balancing.

Agreed.

Archived